What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by FLPensFan »

Taking it all in from this view for the last time....

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:23 pm Taking it all in from this view for the last time....

Jake, we're just going to move you for some legit assets. You go on a cup run, and we'll sign you July 1. Deal??
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:57 am
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:52 am Don't know who this poster is and how legit, and haven't heard the podcast to confirm, but just putting this up here too:

They already have Kreider and Panarin on the left side. Not sure if one of them can play RW? but Jake is a LW.
Yep. It's the same problem Florida would have acquiring Jake. I'm a little surprised in practice today Florida decided to move Reinhart to LW to put Tarasenko in his natural RW spot.

I probably wouldn't move my 40+ goal scorer to his off side.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Taj
@taj1944
Dhaliwal said some think Pens want Hoglander and Lekkerimäki for Guentzel.

@DonnieandDhali
1:07 PM · Mar 7, 2024
·

Ha! Go get em KD. No wonder JR balked at that. Wait it out...
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Man if KD can pull that off with VAN....would be a phenomenal move and definitely lessen the pain of losing Jake.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Poster in the comments said Nikishin isn't available, that Carolina refused to include him when they had talks about trading for Elias Pettersson. NIkishin widely regarded as best player outside the NHL/NA, is signed through next season in KHL. He's an a complete defenseman who puts up a lot of points (56, 9th overall in KHL scoring).
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

you gotta like what your hearing, Dubas is aiming high and holding firm. with 25 hours till the deadline there is no reason to lower your demands.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:28 pm you gotta like what your hearing, Dubas is aiming high and holding firm. with 25 hours till the deadline there is no reason to lower your demands.
The biggest issue right now is, Dubas has to do something soon. My belief is he wants the Guentzel trade to happen first so the other dominos like Smith, Eller, Ned, and Ruhwedel can fall...

But if he can't complete Guentzel deal, or ANY other of his deals tonight...trying to pull off a bunch of trades tomorrow is risky.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

someone posted that Dubas is focused on the Jake deal and Doug Wilson is trying to work other deals. I don't think you are getting much more back than a 4th or 5th round pick for Ruhwedel that most likely happens tomorrow afternoon. I am really not sure Jake holds up anything else from happening tbh.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:23 pm

Poster in the comments said Nikishin isn't available, that Carolina refused to include him when they had talks about trading for Elias Pettersson. NIkishin widely regarded as best player outside the NHL/NA, is signed through next season in KHL. He's an a complete defenseman who puts up a lot of points (56, 9th overall in KHL scoring).
We have our own defenseman that scored 101 points last year and a 2 time Norris winner. We could get the best Russian defenseman from the Red Army team of the 70s and if Sullivan is coach next year, he will be useless.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

This makes sense, only because it's the Rangers and Guentzel doesn't seem to be a great fit:

Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:11 pm Taj
@taj1944

@DonnieandDhali
·

Canucks to Pens Lekkerimaki and Podkolzin ,thats it.. with sign and trade deal,it should be good deal for both teams
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:50 pm This makes sense, only because it's the Rangers and Guentzel doesn't seem to be a great fit:

For the Rags a special deal; Guentzel to New York for a 2024 1st Round pick + Pereault + Othman
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Pens4Life wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:05 pm
@taj1944

@DonnieandDhali
·

Canucks to Pens Lekkerimaki and Podkolzin ,thats it.. with sign and trade deal,it should be good deal for both teams
Hoglander is 5' 9 and Lekkerimaki is 5' 11

Right in Sullivan's wheelhouse
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

@taj1944

@DonnieandDhali
·

If I'm Jake, I'm not signing an extension unless someone really breaks the bank....No reason to limit yourself to 1 team, and wouldn't be chomping at the bit to play in Canada.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm
@taj1944

@DonnieandDhali
·

If I'm Jake, I'm not signing an extension unless someone really breaks the bank....No reason to limit yourself to 1 team, and wouldn't be chomping at the bit to play in Canada.
Vancouver is pretty loaded talent wise. Are you looking for max money, or the chance to win another cup or 2?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Physicality does not equal goon behavior. Somebody who can hit and get the team's emotions stirring. Gone, long gone. I'm from caporegimes Clemenza.

Can they dangle Jarry? Scoring prowess. 8-)
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

pens_CT wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:11 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:50 pm This makes sense, only because it's the Rangers and Guentzel doesn't seem to be a great fit:

For the Rags a special deal; Guentzel to New York for a 2024 1st Round pick + Pereault + Othman

FWIW here are the write-ups on those two Rag prospects from the Athletic

Brennan Othman (Ranked 46th in their top 75)

After posting 59 goals and 121 points in 85 combined regular-season and playoff games in his post-draft season, Othmann’s production dipped last year in his final junior season, in particular after a move from his Firebirds to the contending Petes (though he did still lead them in playoff and Memorial Cup scoring in the end). In between, he also looked the part of the top prospect that he is at both of the world juniors in Edmonton and Halifax, especially in the games that mattered (he’s a gamer).

This season, at the pro level, he has been a consistent shot-generator and offensive contributor while continuing to play his thorny, pest style against men (there are always questions as to whether players who play that way in junior will continue to against bigger, stronger competition).

He’s got a lethal, masked release that he can get off of his blade at multiple points while still maintaining pinpoint accuracy. He’s got a silky first touch into quick hands. He’s got that sixth sense as a scorer, to where he just finds holes in coverage and in goalies to finish plays at a higher rate than most (I expect his shooting percentage, which has hovered below 10 per cent in the AHL, for example, to rise). He’s got a heady spatial awareness inside the offensive zone and a good feel for where his teammates are on the ice, regularly executing blind and clever passes. He plays a determined off-puck game that engages in battles.

He’s a physical presence when he’s on the ice, a constant threat to lay a big hit, and scrappy and mouthy between whistles (there’s a bit of a chip on his shoulder on and off the ice, honestly). He’s got great hands around the net and on tips. He plays a direct, attacking game with the puck and he has worked hard to get stronger and a step quicker so that he can make the most out of his natural gifts on the ice. He has gotten better and better at reading the play and breaking up passes defensively, and at moving his feet off the puck not just to chase hits but to get up and under sticks and stay on pucks. He’s got the ability to become a second-line, power-play scoring winger with some snarl.

Gabe Perreault (Ranked 7th in their top 75)

I stuck my neck out on Perreault last year and I remain bullish on him as one of the most talented and offensively intelligent prospects in the game. Eventually, when the points pile up like they have, and they happen while making the kinds of plays that he does, you can’t ignore them. You can say what you will about his skinny frame (though he has added substantial muscle, at least relatively speaking, in recent years). You can say what you will about perceived questions of skating (which I think lost the plot last year). You can say what you will about his linemates at the NTDP and BC, but it’s Perreault who holds the program’s single-season points record and it’s Perreault who leads the Eagles in scoring as a freshman.

I see a clever-beyond-belief facilitator and playmaker who plays the game with a light touch and a heady spatial awareness of not only where his teammates are, but where he is in the flow of play (and relative to defenders). The son of longtime NHLer Yanic Perreault and brother of Ducks prospect Jacob Perreault, Gabe doesn’t have his dad’s defensive acumen or his brother’s build (Gabe is now listed at 165 pounds, Jacob at 192), but he’s a highly intuitive player who sees the play develop offensively at a more advanced level than his two family members did/do — and comparable to any prospect in the sport.

He’s got extremely quick hands to complement that mind for the game offensively and allow him to execute the plays he sees. He problem-solves his way out of trouble as well as just about anyone on this list, too. He’s got dexterous tools catching, tipping and redirecting pucks. He arrives into space at exactly the right times to make himself available and finish plays. His ability to bait defenders and open them up so that he can slide passes through their feet is so impressive. He gets shots off extremely fast and without bobbles in catch-and-release sequences. He plans things out on the ice at speed and then finds ways to make his desired play.

He’s a slick one-on-one player but will also wait that extra split-second and then just sling a pass tape-to-tape across the grain. He has become a bit of a puck thief, consistently tracking back hard to empty the tank and make effort plays on lifts. There are times when he waits too long to make his plays, but you live with that given his unique ability to find guys in open space with real craft and puck skill in possession.

'And he’s a better skater than he gets credit for, with above-average speed for my money and room to add power and pick up another step as he gets stronger. Because of his genetics, he should be able to add the necessary weight and strength eventually, too. With the proper patience, I expect he’ll become a skilled, top-six playmaking winger with clear PP1 upside.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Guess KD should have picked Perreault instead of Yager last draft…

Many teams should have. He fell for some reason.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Carolina has DeAngelo, Raanta, and Lemieux on waivers. Sure seems like they are clearing some cap space for something big....
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:28 pm Guess KD should have picked Perreault instead of Yager last draft…

Many teams should have. He fell for some reason.
I think most people have Yager projected as a center and Perreault as a winger. Everything else being close to equal, I think teams put a higher premium on a guy who can play center.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

What’s hilarious about this whole situation that a team that thinks it can make the playoffs would trade its 2nd best forward with no one even close to being able to replace him. And that’s been the story for at least 4 years now.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Waffles »

I'm ready for this to be over, as long as the return is a young NHL top-6 guy, a top prospect and a 1st (assuming we retain salary.)
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

DelPen wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:11 pm What’s hilarious about this whole situation that a team that thinks it can make the playoffs would trade its 2nd best forward with no one even close to being able to replace him. And that’s been the story for at least 4 years now.
THIS! Exactly.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Waffles wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:17 pm I'm ready for this to be over, as long as the return is a young NHL top-6 guy, a top prospect and a 1st (assuming we retain salary.)

:D