2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by yinzer69 »

Three Stars wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:14 am
yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:48 am
Mad City Mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:09 am
yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:03 am I have faith in Dubas and this front office until they give me a reason not to. I think there is at least a plan which we all know there wasn't a plan with Hextall and I'd argue the last few years of JR was plan-less. JR was just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it would stick to keep them in cup contention.

Some of last off season's moves have not worked out. At the time most everyone thought Smith and Graves were good additions. Its not Dubas fault that they have struggled.
Why not? He made the moves. He's responsible for making sure players are a good fit for Boston Mike's inflexible system of player ruination.
The hate and blame on Mike Sullivan on this board is something...I have come around to thinking it is time for a change but some people blame EVERYTHING on Sullivan. I am sure Sullivan is telling the PP not to shoot enough or to give up 9 SHG. There is enough blame to go around for the problems of this team...Sullivan has blame. My god some of the comments on here are insufferable.
I think it's fair to say that the baseline state of Penguins fandom after 20 years of relative success is spoiled, whiny, unappreciative and miserable...often in preemptive fashion, complaining about things that might happen (but haven't or won't) because it's far easier to helplessly complain than to actually come to terms with things. I think a lot of fans have no idea how to handle a lack of success, which tells you there's been an awful lot of success. So, all of this is basically temper tantrums playing out in post form.

Paraphrasing Clemenza in The Godfather, the fall of this team is going to be pretty goddam bad. Probably all the other teams will line up against us. That's all right. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood.
100% agree with you on this. Penguin fans are a miserable bunch. A lot of fan bases would LOVE to have 5 Stanley Cups, the best player in the game since 1984 continuously, many HOFers have coming through town. 2 long consecutive years in the playoff runs. We all know this was coming, and here it is. A portion of the fan base simply cannot handle it. Dubas has been on the job for 9 months and some people I am sure would run him out of town.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Some additional non-Jake info from Rossi this morning:

Other teams have talked with Penguins about include:

Reilly Smith
Alex Nedeljkovic
Lars Eller
Chad Ruhwedel

That’s not full list. But it’s one with names Penguins would consider moving.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:32 am
yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:03 am I have faith in Dubas and this front office until they give me a reason not to. I think there is at least a plan which we all know there wasn't a plan with Hextall and I'd argue the last few years of JR was plan-less. JR was just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it would stick to keep them in cup contention.

Some of last off season's moves have not worked out. At the time most everyone thought Smith and Graves were good additions. Its not Dubas fault that they have struggled.
Why not? He made the moves. He's responsible for making sure players are a good fit for Boston Mike's inflexible system of player ruination.
The hate and blame on Mike Sullivan on this board is something...I have come around to thinking it is time for a change but some people blame EVERYTHING on Sullivan. I am sure Sullivan is telling the PP not to shoot enough or to give up 9 SHG. There is enough blame to go around for the problems of this team...Sullivan has blame. My god some of the comments on here are insufferable.
I think it's fair to say that the baseline state of Penguins fandom after 20 years of relative success is spoiled, whiny, unappreciative and miserable...often in preemptive fashion, complaining about things that might happen (but haven't or won't) because it's far easier to helplessly complain than to actually come to terms with things. I think a lot of fans have no idea how to handle a lack of success, which tells you there's been an awful lot of success. So, all of this is basically temper tantrums playing out in post form.

Paraphrasing Clemenza in The Godfather, the fall of this team is going to be pretty goddam bad. Probably all the other teams will line up against us. That's all right. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood.
100% agree with you on this. Penguin fans are a miserable bunch. A lot of fan bases would LOVE to have 5 Stanley Cups, the best player in the game since 1984 continuously, many HOFers have coming through town. 2 long consecutive years in the playoff runs. We all know this was coming, and here it is. A portion of the fan base simply cannot handle it. Dubas has been on the job for 9 months and some people I am sure would run him out of town.
To this point, was talking with my brother the day of Jagr's retirement ceremony about how fortunate/spoiled us Pens fans are.

For many NHL teams, Evgeny Malkin would be considered the best player in their franchise history had he played there. He's a certain Hall of Famer, jersey will be retired, and all much deserved. But in Pittsburgh, he's battling it out with Jagr for 3rd & 4th on the list.

We are a fortunate fan base. But much like a ladder, the higher you climb the more that fall is going to hurt.
Last edited by maopens on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:27 am
Mad City Mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:09 am
Oh I agree. Nobody is without blame, going all the way back to GMJR, Mario and company hiring Hextall, then selling to a foreign group that adores Boston Mike, Hextall, Dubas, Sullivan, players. Not a one of them gets off the hook.
I guess Boston is now considered a foreign city.
To me, yes. They are too parochial to really care about anything outside their city.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

I'm sure there aren't many on here that use to wait in line at the igloo for $20 student rush tickets to sit on the glass to watch Steve McKenna, Krzysztof Oliwa, and JS Aubin. All they know is good hockey and success
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

thehockeyguru wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:45 am

I'm sure there aren't many on here that use to wait in line at the igloo for $20 student rush tickets to sit on the glass to watch Steve McKenna, Krzysztof Oliwa, and JS Aubin. All they know is good hockey and success
Student rush?? I remember in the early 2Ks I could run to National Record mart at lunch and get tix for that night at $10 each! The show was crap, but being able to see hockey that cheap was the best!
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Two of those three would inject some life into this moribund group. Sorry, JS, I'm not looking at you. But Boston Mike wouldn't put them on the ice because that can't play his outdated (for the Pens) system.
Last edited by Mad City Mike on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

STL signed Sundqvist to a 2 year, 1.5M AAV extension

FLA signed Forsling to an 8 year, 5.75M AAV contract extension

TOR acquired Joel Edmundson from Washing for a 2024 3rd and 2025 5th

I'm going to lunch, and headed to the Flyers vs Panthers game tonight. I expect a Jake trade to happen during one of these 2 events.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Edmundson to Toronto for a 3rd and 5th.

Leaf fans want more!
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

Mad City Mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:45 am
yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:27 am
Mad City Mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:09 am
Oh I agree. Nobody is without blame, going all the way back to GMJR, Mario and company hiring Hextall, then selling to a foreign group that adores Boston Mike, Hextall, Dubas, Sullivan, players. Not a one of them gets off the hook.
I guess Boston is now considered a foreign city.
To me, yes. They are too parochial to really care about anything outside their city.
I really don't have many issues with FSG's ownership so far. Other than the issue with Mario (and who knows how much that is actually keeping Mario away or if he simply wanted to step away from hockey for a few years). They got rid of Hextall and his front office, hired a young, smart, innovative GM. They spend to the cap, seems to be willing to invest in the front office too. Have done upgrades to PPG. Just not entirely sure where your hatred for them comes from other than just anti-Boston or they aren't Yinzers.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SteelCityFan »

I’m a little surprised about the attachment to Sully some have. I thought the purpose was to win hockey games and compete for championships. We haven’t won a playoff series since, what…2018? It’s not like the current or previous GM’s haven’t gone out of their way to add talent to this team, it’s that the talent that arrives here seems to underperform in the system being used.

Coaching is a profession that has a shelf life. It’s time for new blood behind the bench. What’s the worst that could happen, we miss the playoffs….again.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:51 am
I really don't have many issues with FSG's ownership so far. Other than the issue with Mario (and who knows how much that is actually keeping Mario away or if he simply wanted to step away from hockey for a few years). They got rid of Hextall and his front office, hired a young, smart, innovative GM. They spend to the cap, seems to be willing to invest in the front office too. Have done upgrades to PPG. Just not entirely sure where your hatred for them comes from other than just anti-Boston or they aren't Yinzers.
I do. They forced Dubas to keep Sullvan when it was obvious after last year he was no longer the right coach for this group. Why? Boston.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Pitts wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:48 am

Student rush?? I remember in the early 2Ks I could run to National Record mart at lunch and get tix for that night at $10 each! The show was crap, but being able to see hockey that cheap was the best!
That's how it started, they sold a limited quantity of tickets at Ticketmaster distributors. I always seemed to pull better seats waiting at the arena
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Beauvillier to Nashville for a 4th...
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

Mad City Mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:59 am
yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:51 am
I do. They forced Dubas to keep Sullvan when it was obvious after last year he was no longer the right coach for this group. Why? Boston.
do you have confirmation they forced Dubas to keep Sully? I didn't realize you were an insider.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Tarasenko confirmed today that Florida was the only team he would waive his NMC for. Should help ease a bit of the "poor return" crowd.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Stecher and a 7th to EDM for a 4th to ARI
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Waivers: Lemieux (CAR), Raanta (CAR), Oesterle (CAL), Katchouk (CHI), Cormier (FLA), Lagesson (TOR) and Bjornfot (LV)
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go... :pop:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Vegas just tweeted 👀….

They’ve quickly become the evil empire of hockey lol
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Barabanov being held out of SJ lineup for trade reasons. No word yet on Duclair.
Laughton reportedly sick (but also lots of trade interest), and may not play tonight vs Florida.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:12 pm Vegas just tweeted 👀….

Vegas tweets that. 4th period was on the Fan saying talks with Rangers intensified with 2025 1st and Kakko potential to Penguins (need MOAR). Seems like things are heating up this afternoon.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SteelCityFan »

E-Ramone wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:00 pm Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go... :pop:
I really do wanna be sedated
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:19 pm
KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:12 pm Vegas just tweeted 👀….

Vegas tweets that. 4th period was on the Fan saying talks with Rangers intensified with 2025 1st and Kakko potential to Penguins (need MOAR). Seems like things are heating up this afternoon.
God I hope we aren’t getting Kakko. He has 11 points in 41 games this year for the rags. That would be a terrible trade to make. If that was the return I’d sooner just keep Jake.