What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by Tico Rick »

We'll see who blinks first.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Credit where credit due - I'm glad to hear Dubas is sticking to his guns and not settling. This is a trade/situation he cannot mess up.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Coffey Break wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:17 pm Credit where credit due - I'm glad to hear Dubas is sticking to his guns and not settling. This is a trade/situation he cannot mess up.
Agreed. I’ll gladly keep refreshing all of the socials and patiently wait until the deadline to get the best deal!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Well FGMJR usually gets his man, but...Dubas may have an upper hand in that both Edmonton and Vegas strengthened their teams in the last 24 hours.

--Vegas got Mantha, seems like they are about to get Hanifin, and they STILL have room for Guentzel if they wanted.
--Edmonton got Henrique and Carrick
--Colorado got Middlestadt

My guess is Vancouver is focusing on Guentzel, but has Zucker lined up as a backup. Thing is, moving on from Guentzel and then letting Vegas get him. That would sting really bad for Vancouver.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli
Guentzel update: Not definitive, but sounds like teams in mix are CAR, FLA, NYR, VAN and VGK.

Unless something changes, belief is FLA + VAN have made strong push but don’t have goods to pull it off.

Of note: VGK could potentially create more cap room if Martinez goes on LTIR.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:25 pm Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli
Guentzel update: Not definitive, but sounds like teams in mix are CAR, FLA, NYR, VAN and VGK.

Unless something changes, belief is FLA + VAN have made strong push but don’t have goods to pull it off.

Of note: VGK could potentially create more cap room if Martinez goes on LTIR.
Here's the thing with this:

--I believe the 2nd sentence about Florida; I don't think their prospect pool is good enough, and unless they are giving us Lundell, I'm not interested in dealing with Florida; 2nd reason this makes no sense...Verhaeghe and Reinhart wings on line 1; Tarasenko and Tkachuk wings on line 2. Where does Guentzel even fit. None of those players are 3rd line wingers. There's just no fit for Florida after Tarasenko, and Florida never had the prospects to make it work from the beginning.

--Saying Vancouver doesn't have the goods to pull it off seems very inaccurate. Vancouver doesn't seem to want to part with the pieces to pull it off. I think they have what they need to do it, though.

--VGK may be able to make the cap space, but I don't see THEM having the pieces to pull it off. Besides Brisson, any prospect they have isn't helping for 2-3 years if ever, and Brisson isn't enough of a key piece for me.

--Edmonton and Vegas have made their moves. If FGMJR stands firm and won't part with his pieces, he could be stuck going to Toffoli or Zucker as a backup...then watching Vegas potential get Guentzel. Vancouver should be looking at the move to make them strongest, and that's Guentzel.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

If any deal should have us concerned, it is the Hanifin deal. It cost Vegas a 1st, conditional 3rd, a 5th, and a marginal depth defenseman with 29 total NHL games who will be 27 years old this summer for Hanifin and 50% retention.

That's not a great return for Hanifin. We may have to start lowering our ask.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Any reports that GM's are concerned about Jake's injury being of concern for any premium offer in return for a trade?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BigMcK wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:47 am Any reports that GM's are concerned about Jake's injury being of concern for any premium offer in return for a trade?
I haven't heard that from any GMs. I'm not an expert according to Andy Sutton, but, I'm fairly confident Jake's injury was minor and only going to hold him out a few games, but because of other injuries and being cash strapped they had to put him on LTIR to fill out the roster. He's been skating and shooting pretty regularly within a week of the injury. If the wrist was broken and he had surgery, no way he'd be shooting that quickly.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Jake on the ice wearing a black- cleared for contact jersey. I hope he plays tonight.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

penny lane wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:31 am Jake on the ice wearing a black- cleared for contact jersey. I hope he plays tonight.
He's on LTIR. Can't play until March 10th I believe.
Last edited by pens_CT on Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

penny lane wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:31 am Jake on the ice wearing a black- cleared for contact jersey. I hope he plays tonight.
For which team?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Long term, blah blah, forgot all about it. :(
I don't want Dubas "giving" into other teams for the trade. I guess Dallas is set, Seattle? Someone to beat Oilers/Canucks. No, I don't want Rutherford to get Jake.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Snippet from latest Yohe article this morning:

Multiple league sources have told me Dubas’ asking price for Guentzel is extraordinarily high. Some are questioning it, believing Dubas could miss his opportunity to move Guentzel.

I disagree. Good for Dubas. He should be asking for a massive haul. Guentzel comes with some baggage — he’s injured, he’s somewhat injury-prone and he’s a rental — but he’s still the most coveted player at the deadline. He’s a point-per-game player and ranks ninth in NHL history in goals per game in the postseason. He should carry a significant price tag.

AND

This is a fascinating stretch for the Penguins because Guentzel isn’t the only player who could be traded — among them Reilly Smith, Lars Eller, Alex Nedeljkovic and Chad Ruhwedel.

I don’t think all of those players will be dealt, but they are all available and could help contending teams. They could also bring back the kind of assets the Penguins have been missing for a generation: picks and prospects.

Logistics will soon become an issue. It’s difficult to execute four trades on one day.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

"--Saying Vancouver doesn't have the goods to pull it off seems very inaccurate. Vancouver doesn't seem to want to part with the pieces to pull it off. I think they have what they need to do it, though."

I don't want Rutherford to decide now (especially after his last few years in Pittsburgh) that he needs to protect assets for the future. Ha!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

ahawk9 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:52 am "--Saying Vancouver doesn't have the goods to pull it off seems very inaccurate. Vancouver doesn't seem to want to part with the pieces to pull it off. I think they have what they need to do it, though."

I don't want Rutherford to decide now (especially after his last few years in Pittsburgh) that he needs to protect assets for the future. Ha!
Rutherford doesn't want to move either Lekkerimaki or Wallinder, their top 2 prospects, which I guess is where the Lindholm rumors came out that they could get some assets from Boston to flip for Jake. I'm sure Dubas is trying to get a bidding war going for Jake, hoping Rutherford blinks.

Rutherford does not want Jake going to Vegas. We'll see soon enough!
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:44 am Snippet from latest Yohe article this morning:

Multiple league sources have told me Dubas’ asking price for Guentzel is extraordinarily high. Some are questioning it, believing Dubas could miss his opportunity to move Guentzel.

I disagree. Good for Dubas. He should be asking for a massive haul. Guentzel comes with some baggage — he’s injured, he’s somewhat injury-prone and he’s a rental — but he’s still the most coveted player at the deadline. He’s a point-per-game player and ranks ninth in NHL history in goals per game in the postseason. He should carry a significant price tag.

AND

This is a fascinating stretch for the Penguins because Guentzel isn’t the only player who could be traded — among them Reilly Smith, Lars Eller, Alex Nedeljkovic and Chad Ruhwedel.

I don’t think all of those players will be dealt, but they are all available and could help contending teams. They could also bring back the kind of assets the Penguins have been missing for a generation: picks and prospects.

Logistics will soon become an issue. It’s difficult to execute four trades on one day.
Rust would have value but for some reason this organization has no interest in moving him....It's pretty mind-blowing IMO
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I also saw that Jake is NOT cleared for contact yet. I think this came from Sullivan post-practice.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:55 am
ahawk9 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:52 am "--Saying Vancouver doesn't have the goods to pull it off seems very inaccurate. Vancouver doesn't seem to want to part with the pieces to pull it off. I think they have what they need to do it, though."

Rutherford doesn't want to move either Lekkerimaki or Wallinder, their top 2 prospects, which I guess is where the Lindholm rumors came out that they could get some assets from Boston to flip for Jake. I'm sure Dubas is trying to get a bidding war going for Jake, hoping Rutherford blinks.

Rutherford does not want Jake going to Vegas. We'll see soon enough!
The problem is, Lekkerimaki and Willander are there best prospects. Beyond them, they have other good players, but not high enough to satisfy Dubas. Podkolzin is #3 on Athletic ranking of their system. I'd rather have Hoglander over him. And that's where what is the right value starts breaking down. Hoglander has shown more upside than Podkolzin to date.

Maybe the middle ground is get Willander and Podkolzin or Willander and Raty. Not sure.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:00 am
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:44 am Snippet from latest Yohe article this morning:

AND

Rust would have value but for some reason this organization has no interest in moving him....It's pretty mind-blowing IMO
We need someone to play with Crosby. Without Jake, Rust is our best and most consistent top 6 forward. IMO its perfectly reasonable to want to keep Rust. As long as 87,71,58 are around we are not going to do a complete tear down.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Some more information from Rossi and the Athletic live blog:

A few observations:

Former San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson, a special advisor with the Penguins, has an extensive network of contacts and also made dozens of trades on his own. Penguins sources said Dubas is leaning heavily on Wilson for his opinion on potential returns and to help steer talks with other teams about the Penguins’ players not named Guentzel.

Dubas’ asking price for Guentzel is steep, which could be slowing things down. Another potential delay could be the need — for the Penguins or other teams — to make other trades first in order to create cap space. The Penguins have the option to retain 50 percent of Guentzel’s cap hit for rest of this season, which could bring back a more favorable return.

An in-division trade of Guentzel, who is a rental, is possible. But any Metro clubs that want Guentzel would probably need to include a current young player with considerable upside, in addition to a prospect close to becoming an NHL regular.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Don't know who this poster is and how legit, and haven't heard the podcast to confirm, but just putting this up here too:

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:52 am Don't know who this poster is and how legit, and haven't heard the podcast to confirm, but just putting this up here too:

They already have Kreider and Panarin on the left side. Not sure if one of them can play RW? but Jake is a LW.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Arthur Staple
@StapeAthletic
Based on what yinzer colleagues
@Real_RobRossi
and
@JoshYohe_PGH
have reported on Guentzel, if #NYR are going far down that road that means they're willing to part with either Othmann or Perreault along with a 1st.

That'd be a big change in deadline philosophy for #NYR
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:06 pm Arthur Staple
@StapeAthletic
Based on what yinzer colleagues
@Real_RobRossi
and
@JoshYohe_PGH
have reported on Guentzel, if #NYR are going far down that road that means they're willing to part with either Othmann or Perreault along with a 1st.

That'd be a big change in deadline philosophy for #NYR
if we could get one of Othmann or Perreault plus more I'd be happy