2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by KG »

Besides the Byram/Middlestedt trade, I think every other player traded has been rentals. Flyers waived RYJO.

Cap world it’s hard to move out players with term unless you take a similar problem child back. Brian Burke always said GM’s make their biggest mistakes on trade deadline day and UFA day. Too bad he didn’t practice what he preached with us, but he’s right.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I see the Canes want payers with term and not rentals. You know who would be good on the Canes? Rakell. Not joking. The way he played from when he arrived and then before he was taken out by a cheap shot in the Rangers series and then Sullivan ruined him, that would fit in perfect for the Canes. He needs a change.

If the deadline space amount on Cap Friendly means that’s how much a a team can add in an AAV then Rakell just fits under there. Coming back I don’t know what to expect.

And this move is also predicated on Sullivan not being fired anytime soon so players who have gotten worse under him should be moved for whatever Dubas can get. Smith is also a good candidate too.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

So the Flyers waived Ryan Johansen. He has 50% of his 8M salary retained by Nashville for this season and next. He is 31 years old. I think if I am trading Jake, I am picking this guy up. Why not? costs us 4M for a serviceable top 6 player next season. And we trade him at the deadline to help continue the rebuild.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

No real news here

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

French broadcaster was on NHL radio this morning. Speculated that he wouldn't be surprised if the Pens dealt Jake and then re-signed him in the off-season. That would certainly be a win-win. Also said the Jake trade is holding up the rest of the moves. Clock's ticking.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:35 am French broadcaster was on NHL radio this morning. Speculated that he wouldn't be surprised if the Pens dealt Jake and then re-signed him in the off-season. That would certainly be a win-win. Also said the Jake trade is holding up the rest of the moves. Clock's ticking.
It has also been holding up any production for me here at work :D
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:37 am
KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:35 am French broadcaster was on NHL radio this morning. Speculated that he wouldn't be surprised if the Pens dealt Jake and then re-signed him in the off-season. That would certainly be a win-win. Also said the Jake trade is holding up the rest of the moves. Clock's ticking.
It has also been holding up any production for me here at work :D
Ha. It's a good day for "Incognito mode" web browser in the office :D
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:16 am So the Flyers waived Ryan Johansen. He has 50% of his 8M salary retained by Nashville for this season and next. He is 31 years old. I think if I am trading Jake, I am picking this guy up. Why not? costs us 4M for a serviceable top 6 player next season. And we trade him at the deadline to help continue the rebuild.
I don't see him as top 6, he'd be the 3C. Problem with that is he's below average defensively and doesn't PK

The Pens do need a 3C, but I think they can find a better fit.

I really want to see what the return is on Guentzel, I want to see what pieces come in so the other traded can fill the remaining holes
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Mad City Mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:23 am No real news here

I don't see the 3-way trade doing much for us, unless there is a significant prospect going to us from either Vancouver or Boston. The rumors already took Vancouver's top prospects off the table in a trade.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

I have faith in Dubas and this front office until they give me a reason not to. I think there is at least a plan which we all know there wasn't a plan with Hextall and I'd argue the last few years of JR was plan-less. JR was just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it would stick to keep them in cup contention.

Some of last off season's moves have not worked out. At the time most everyone thought Smith and Graves were good additions. Its not Dubas fault that they have struggled.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:03 am I have faith in Dubas and this front office until they give me a reason not to. I think there is at least a plan which we all know there wasn't a plan with Hextall and I'd argue the last few years of JR was plan-less. JR was just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it would stick to keep them in cup contention.

Some of last off season's moves have not worked out. At the time most everyone thought Smith and Graves were good additions. Its not Dubas fault that they have struggled.
Why not? He made the moves. He's responsible for making sure players are a good fit for Boston Mike's inflexible system of player ruination.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:45 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:16 am So the Flyers waived Ryan Johansen. He has 50% of his 8M salary retained by Nashville for this season and next. He is 31 years old. I think if I am trading Jake, I am picking this guy up. Why not? costs us 4M for a serviceable top 6 player next season. And we trade him at the deadline to help continue the rebuild.
I don't see him as top 6, he'd be the 3C. Problem with that is he's below average defensively and doesn't PK

I really want to see what the return is on Guentzel, I want to see what pieces come in so the other traded can fill the remaining holes
No to Johansen. I don't know where I read it, but after the trade happened, I believe a major media person or Avs reporter stated a big reason he was included is because he was becoming a problem in the locker room and other players wanted him gone.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pensfan4life8771 »

I personally like the 3-way trade where we get Lindholm and a prospect from Canucks and flip him to B's for Debrusk.

We resign Debrusk and he becomes a piece for the future. This season we'd have:

Debrusk - Crosby - Raks
Rust - Geno - Pusty
DOC - Eller - Riley (if not moved)

Still a competitive team and we still gain assets.
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

Mad City Mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:09 am
yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:03 am I have faith in Dubas and this front office until they give me a reason not to. I think there is at least a plan which we all know there wasn't a plan with Hextall and I'd argue the last few years of JR was plan-less. JR was just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it would stick to keep them in cup contention.

Why not? He made the moves. He's responsible for making sure players are a good fit for Boston Mike's inflexible system of player ruination.
I, too, thought last season’s acquisitions were good and thus expected a much, much more successful season. But given the “inflexibility” of the system in place, as you say, I place the lion’s share of the responsibility on the current coaching staff. They can load up with all the great players they want, but without a coach who's willing to genuinely change, we aren’t going anywhere in the near future.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:13 am

No to Johansen. I don't know where I read it, but after the trade happened, I believe a major media person or Avs reporter stated a big reason he was included is because he was becoming a problem in the locker room and other players wanted him gone.
That is weird. I read the exact opposite. Many players stating he was the best teammate they ever played with.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Jake is in his normal jersey at morning skate today. See Rutherford, Jake is ready to go! now pony up.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Yea! GMKD needs to make this right! FIRE SULLY to start the correction!
Last edited by Dynasty1970 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:18 am
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:13 am

That is weird. I read the exact opposite. Many players stating he was the best teammate they ever played with.
I think one of Avs beat writer tweeted out after the trade that some of the Avs core players not happy with Johansen and it was becoming a problem in the locker room.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

The hate and blame on Mike Sullivan on this board is something...I have come around to thinking it is time for a change but some people blame EVERYTHING on Sullivan. I am sure Sullivan is telling the PP not to shoot enough or to give up 9 SHG. There is enough blame to go around for the problems of this team...Sullivan has blame. My god some of the comments on here are insufferable.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

yinzer69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:48 am
The hate and blame on Mike Sullivan on this board is something...I have come around to thinking it is time for a change but some people blame EVERYTHING on Sullivan. I am sure Sullivan is telling the PP not to shoot enough or to give up 9 SHG. There is enough blame to go around for the problems of this team...Sullivan has blame. My god some of the comments on here are insufferable.
Oh I agree. Nobody is without blame, going all the way back to GMJR, Mario and company hiring Hextall, then selling to a foreign group that adores Boston Mike, Hextall, Dubas, Sullivan, players. Not a one of them gets off the hook.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

I think it's fair to say that the baseline state of Penguins fandom after 20 years of relative success is spoiled, whiny, unappreciative and miserable...often in preemptive fashion, complaining about things that might happen (but haven't or won't) because it's far easier to helplessly complain than to actually come to terms with things. I think a lot of fans have no idea how to handle a lack of success, which tells you there's been an awful lot of success. So, all of this is basically temper tantrums playing out in post form.

Paraphrasing Clemenza in The Godfather, the fall of this team is going to be pretty goddam bad. Probably all the other teams will line up against us. That's all right. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Let’s be honest here, Jake isn’t going anywhere. If he was in such high demand, he’d been gone. KD is probably working on a contract now. If he doesn’t by Friday, then Jake holds all the cards. He can leave and/or get a 10M/yr contract. I’m reading about all these “experts” spout off about, there are five teams interested, Jakes value is dropping, Van is out, etc. Does anyone have any real facts? BTW, why hasn’t KD traded some of the players mentioned outside of Jake?
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

Mad City Mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:09 am
Oh I agree. Nobody is without blame, going all the way back to GMJR, Mario and company hiring Hextall, then selling to a foreign group that adores Boston Mike, Hextall, Dubas, Sullivan, players. Not a one of them gets off the hook.
I guess Boston is now considered a foreign city.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:37 am It has also been holding up any production for me here at work :D
I can't wait to turn off Twitter notifications for Lebrun, Dreger and Friedman... Wake up, KD. :D