2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by KG »

Was hoping to see a tweet that the Pens are holding out Jeff Carter from the lineup in anticipation of a trade :)

No such luck.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
Anthony Mantha goes from Washington to Vegas for a second-round pick and a fourth-round pick.

That return does not help the asking price for Jake. Mantha is no Jake, but he's having a solid year. Not a great return for Washington.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

So at what point will the fans give Sully the Hextall treatment and start chanting FIRE SULLY!!! during the game? I mean what the hell is taking so long? Will it ever happen?
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:40 pm Was hoping to see a tweet that the Pens are holding out Jeff Carter from the lineup in anticipation of a trade :)

No such luck.
At this point it doesn't really matter. If they were in the race, and needed his cap room to add someone of significance, then it would be important. What prized prospect is he taken ice time from by remaining on the roster?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Greg Wyshynski
@wyshynski
Barry Trotz,
@PredsNHL
GM, on the trade deadline:

"The prices are ridiculous for what general managers are asking for players, for rentals and all that. But I'm a rookie GM. I don't know a whole lot."
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

I'd just keep him. It's not Dubas' job to help another team win the Cup.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
The Caps retained 50 percent on Mantha's salary/cap hit.
Which is significant. Means Vegas can still do more and perhaps add another forward with Stone on LTIR
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

What are the chances the Pens move Carter?
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Next to 0 i would say and why bother? He has been far from the problem this year and he's almost gone so unless we could get a pick for him, who cares.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Antonio wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:16 pm Next to 0 i would say and why bother? He has been far from the problem this year and he's almost gone so unless we could get a pick for him, who cares.
You would think that a team would want a depth forward who is good at faceoffs. Pens would need to retain on him, problem is they may need to retain on Smith or Guentzel
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Uh oh. Seravlli now saying there isn’t a huge market for Jake due to the cost and Jake being a pure rental….
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Bruce Boudreau on NHL network said dont be surprised if the Pens try and bring in Zucker from Arizona. That he could be a Guentzel replacement.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

thehockeyguru wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:59 pm Bruce Boudreau on NHL network said dont be surprised if the Pens try and bring in Zucker from Arizona. That he could be a Guentzel replacement.
For this season? Why?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:00 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:59 pm Bruce Boudreau on NHL network said dont be surprised if the Pens try and bring in Zucker from Arizona. That he could be a Guentzel replacement.
For this season? Why?
Makes no sense. Zucker will get traded for pick(s). Pens don't have any interest in dealing picks for older players.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:02 pm
For this season? Why?
Makes no sense. Zucker will get traded for pick(s). Pens don't have any interest in dealing picks for older players.
His argument is Dubas still wants to try and win and the cost would be minimal. That he owes it to Crosby
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

thehockeyguru wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:06 pm
KG wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:02 pm
For this season? Why?
His argument is Dubas still wants to try and win and the cost would be minimal. That he owes it to Crosby
Or that Arizona is being used to retain some of Guentzel's salary and that Pittsburgh is getting Zucker+ prospect+ pick for Jake?
hoochy

Post by hoochy »

Lindholm did not come back from the 2nd period. No injury reported.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

DK’s article this morning says that he saw Jake hugging some staff and Sid looking downcast……
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Skatingpen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:08 am DK’s article this morning says that he saw Jake hugging some staff and Sid looking downcast……
DK basically had a conniption fit on his pod this morning. Saying that if the Pens deal Jake as a rental only then they won't get full value back. Earth to DK, that was always the case.

None of the insiders have every said that the Jake trade will be a sign and trade.

He also said Sid wasn't emotionally there during the game and post game and if the Pens don't get a healthy return for Jake, many in the room won't be pleased.

I mean...get over it. The teams play is the reason why we are in the position of being a seller.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

That last sentence could not be more true
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:11 am
Skatingpen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:08 am DK’s article this morning says that he saw Jake hugging some staff and Sid looking downcast……
DK basically had a conniption fit on his pod this morning. Saying that if the Pens deal Jake as a rental only then they won't get full value back. Earth to DK, that was always the case.

None of the insiders have every said that the Jake trade will be a sign and trade.

He also said Sid wasn't emotionally there during the game and post game and if the Pens don't get a healthy return for Jake, many in the room won't be pleased.

I mean...get over it. The teams play is the reason why we are in the position of being a seller.
There's nothing that prevents them from trading Jake, getting a couple of assets and then assuming the cost, term are reasonable re-signing him after the season. I don't understand DK's position, he wants them to get younger magically without moving assets on the team. Not sure how you do that.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Skatingpen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:37 am That last sentence could not be more true
Correct. This team has barely played .500+ hockey for almost 1.5 seasons. Changes need to happen.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

pens_CT wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:09 am
KG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:11 am

There's nothing that prevents them from trading Jake, getting a couple of assets and then assuming the cost, term are reasonable re-signing him after the season. I don't understand DK's position, he wants them to get younger magically without moving assets on the team. Not sure how you do that.
Has this happened recently? Human nature...Jake goes far into playoffs, wouldn't he likely stay?
I wish Marleau would have gone back to sharks year after. Sid allowed to mourn 9 year teammate.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Freidman on NHL radio this morning said he thinks Dubas has told other teams that we are trying to get the Jake trade done today and to bring their best offers...

Also said there is some smoke to the Lindholm to Boston talks...talking of a 3 team trade with Boston-Pit-Vancouver. Van really wants Jake.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Sid realizes he is done winning at this point in his career. He can read the tea leaves. We need to unload these late 30 year old geriatrics, and he knows that this team hasn't been able to retool over the last decade. He probably wants to chase the cup one last time (knowing he can still play at a high level) but his legacy would be tainted if he leaves this organization. I would be downcast/depressed if I was in his position as well.