2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by dark_forces »

If there's one player who's definitely gone from the Penguin's roster by Friday's deadline, who is it?
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

1967penguins wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:54 am Not to beat the dead horse much further, but will any trade really make any difference as long as the system being enforced is unsuitable/unsustainable for any substantial length of time? The failure to adapt (perhaps refusal is a better word) the system to the roster is beyond maddening. It doesn't seem to matter who gets acquired, mediocrity seems to be the norm at present.
No better and more current example than to see what Nylander is doing in Columbus when given a chance to actually play. 6 points in 5 games. Meanwhile, the coach's favorite, Harkins has 4 points in 42 games this season.

I'm not suggesting that Nylander was any sort of answer for this team's problems but he has some skill that the Pens could never utilize but others have in a short period of time.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

Anyone who can’t see that Dubas CAN’T fire Sullivan hasn’t been reading the tea leaves, or listening to his press conferences lol. I for one will be extremely excited to see Sullivan “fixing” our best prospects over the next three years. This organization has really fallen off under FSG
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

maopens wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:12 pm
1967penguins wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:54 am Not to beat the dead horse much further, but will any trade really make any difference as long as the system being enforced is unsuitable/unsustainable for any substantial length of time? The failure to adapt (perhaps refusal is a better word) the system to the roster is beyond maddening. It doesn't seem to matter who gets acquired, mediocrity seems to be the norm at present.
No better and more current example than to see what Nylander is doing in Columbus when given a chance to actually play. 6 points in 5 games. Meanwhile, the coach's favorite, Harkins has 4 points in 42 games this season.

I'm not suggesting that Nylander was any sort of answer for this team's problems but he has some skill that the Pens could never utilize but others have in a short period of time.
2 other teams prior to the Pens couldn't utilize that skill either. This is not a Pen's problem... it's a player problem. Betting he falls off the map in the next 2 weeks.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Perhaps.

But in 5 games in Columbus, he has outscored everyone on the Pens' 4th line not named Carter and they've played an entire season.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Maybe GMKD had to give Sully this season but hopefully between end of game 82 and on the way down to the looker room he will be fired.

I don't really care now if Sully is fired today or after the season, maybe it is better that he stays for the rest of the season, we will get better drafting position then. As long as we get assets for as many players as we can.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

dark_forces wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm If there's one player who's definitely gone from the Penguin's roster by Friday's deadline, who is it?
R. Smith
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

One way to get some answers is for the reporters to ask Dubas himself why it seems on multiple occasions a guy has no spot on the roster but can leave and have success elsewhere. Either the answer is that he cannot evaluate talent correctly, or that his coach cannot use it correctly. Let's see if Dubas likes the heat.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Rumor from George Richards (covers Panthers, formerly a few other teams as well) is that Tarasenko wants to go to Florida.

I'd say Tarasenko as a rental makes a lot more sense for Florida than Jake does. The cost shouldn't be as high, and the prospects don't need to be top of the line guys. OTT probably wants a 1st and a B level prospect.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:31 pm One way to get some answers is for the reporters to ask Dubas himself why it seems on multiple occasions a guy has no spot on the roster but can leave and have success elsewhere. Either the answer is that he cannot evaluate talent correctly, or that his coach cannot use it correctly. Let's see if Dubas likes the heat.
You know Dubas will take that heat for Sully, regardless of what he actually thinks
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Ericf wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:43 pm Anyone who can’t see that Dubas CAN’T fire Sullivan hasn’t been reading the tea leaves, or listening to his press conferences lol. I for one will be extremely excited to see Sullivan “fixing” our best prospects over the next three years. This organization has really fallen off under FSG
Totally agree. I think KD is a puppet. I wonder why he even took the position of POHO/GM if his hands were going to be tied.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

How do we know his hands are tied.? Perhaps he's just stupid and stubborn like a few others.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:29 pm
Ericf wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:43 pm Anyone who can’t see that Dubas CAN’T fire Sullivan hasn’t been reading the tea leaves, or listening to his press conferences lol. I for one will be extremely excited to see Sullivan “fixing” our best prospects over the next three years. This organization has really fallen off under FSG
Totally agree. I think KD is a puppet. I wonder why he even took the position of POHO/GM if his hands were going to be tied.
Disagree, Dubas didn't come here to be anyone's puppet. It was no sure thing he even wanted the job. They literally had to wine and dine Dubas and his family. He didn't come here without full and total control. Period. These last few weeks have convinced me I think Sully's expiration date has been hit and a new coaching staff is needed by the way.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

yinzer69 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:39 pm
Disagree, Dubas didn't come here to be anyone's puppet. It was no sure thing he even wanted the job. They literally had to wine and dine Dubas and his family. He didn't come here without full and total control. Period. These last few weeks have convinced me I think Sully's expiration date has been hit and a new coaching staff is needed by the way.
I agree. I think Dubas wanted to give the staff and team a long run to see if they could right the ship. They clearly are expired as a group and need a re-tool. Coaching staff included.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:41 pm
I agree. I think Dubas wanted to give the staff and team a long run to see if they could right the ship. They clearly are expired as a group and need a re-tool. Coaching staff included.
Agreed. Dubas gave this group and coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. I think these 60 games have proven its time for MAJOR changes As far as the coaching staff I see 1 of 2 things happening.
1. Sully is kept but forced to get rid of all his assistant coaches.
2. The whole coaching staff is fired.

I think #1 is more likely to happen, but really believing #2 is what should happen.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I would think that if Smith is being shopped, Vegas would be in on him. So, I would think Jake would be going to a different team.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

What??? :shock:
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Pitts wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:48 pm

What??? :shock:
The GMJR masterclass! I'm down for this to get wild.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Some non-Jake rumors...

NHL Watcher
@NHL_Watcher
Friedman on TJMS: “I’ve had people tell me that they think the Kings are one of the teams that has interest in Reilly Smith, I think that’s really complicated to do, REALLY complicated to do”
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Chris Johnston
@reporterchris
Hearing that veteran forward Jason Zucker is being held out of the #coyotes lineup for tonight's game vs. Chicago.

He's drawing trade interest from multiple teams.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:00 pm Chris Johnston
@reporterchris
Hearing that veteran forward Jason Zucker is being held out of the #coyotes lineup for tonight's game vs. Chicago. Smith!

To PGH for Rielly Smith!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Minnesota close to extending Zach Bogosian. Takes him off the trade deadline table.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Pitts wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:04 pm
KG wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:00 pm Chris Johnston
@reporterchris
Hearing that veteran forward Jason Zucker is being held out of the #coyotes lineup for tonight's game vs. Chicago. Smith!

To PGH for Rielly Smith!
But we don't need a rental ...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

New coaching staff was needed year ago and now even more obvious.. but the big question remains,will KD make a change in offseason!? By his comments so far, Sullivan is staying,regardless..
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Mantha to Vegas. Wonder if they’re out on Jake or Smith? They still have plenty of cap space!