Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by maopens »

Can you just imagine what Geno likely said (in Russian) when told that Matthew Phillips was playing on his line the day after being picked up from waivers?

A Hall of Famer gets a kid that looks like he just graduated from junior high and who has been with the team for 24 hours???

How can any coach justify that nonsense?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Acciari out tonight with an injury. Harkins is a game time decision. The Harkins potential injury is ripping up Sully on the inside!
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Lafferty has been a sought-after commodity in the last couple of trade deadlines. Fast, chips in offensively, physical. Sully couldn't use him. ...I know I'm on Sully's back right now. I think it's an organizational irritation. I've harped on this a few times where to me it seems ditching the coach is a logical move when a team is stagnant. A new voice allows for player evaluation to the degree that you can maybe figure out if a guy's struggles are system-based or if they're more than that. This team's brass failed to do that waaaaaayyyyyy back when they should have, so now they're stuck figuring out if Smith and Graves have just forgotten to play effective hockey or if they've been handcuffed by a system of play. Same with the power play. Ditch the coaches responsible for it, see if anything changes under the new ones, then make moves accordingly.

It's a waste of Crosby's wonderful season. Also, if the power play is just mediocre, he has 15 extra points to his current total, and the team is right in the thick of the playoff race. That makes me mad, too.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

maopens wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:17 pm Can you just imagine what Geno likely said (in Russian) when told that Matthew Phillips was playing on his line the day after being picked up from waivers?

A Hall of Famer gets a kid that looks like he just graduated from junior high and who has been with the team for 24 hours???

How can any coach justify that nonsense?
Crazy! I think Geno has been a 'good soldier' all these years. But after being removed from the PP and given zero linemates, if there is a rift in the room it is not hard to imagine.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

ahawk9 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:21 pm Lafferty has been a sought-after commodity in the last couple of trade deadlines. Fast, chips in offensively, physical. Sully couldn't use him. ...I know I'm on Sully's back right now. I think it's an organizational irritation. I've harped on this a few times where to me it seems ditching the coach is a logical move when a team is stagnant. A new voice allows for player evaluation to the degree that you can maybe figure out if a guy's struggles are system-based or if they're more than that. This team's brass failed to do that waaaaaayyyyyy back when they should have, so now they're stuck figuring out if Smith and Graves have just forgotten to play effective hockey or if they've been handcuffed by a system of play. Same with the power play. Ditch the coaches responsible for it, see if anything changes under the new ones, then make moves accordingly.

It's a waste of Crosby's wonderful season. Also, if the power play is just mediocre, he has 15 extra points to his current total, and the team is right in the thick of the playoff race. That makes me mad, too.
Reilly Smith. Over the past 6 seasons he has averaged 21 goals and 48 points per year. He comes to Pittsburgh and is on pace to barely make half of those averages this year. Yet, he isn't slow and he hasn't been injured a significant amount that we know of.

I've always seen him as a shoot-first player. Somewhat maybe like a James Neal. You bring him in to shoot the puck so you should try to put him in places on the ice to feed pucks to him the way the Pens did with Neal. You don't bring Reilly Smith (or James Neal) to Pittsburgh to be a forechecker or battle along the boards. Reilly Smith is 32 years old with an established career. They knew what they were getting and what they were not.

Again, evaluation and utilization are problems for this coaching staff.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:11 pm
maopens wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:05 pm
ahawk9 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:59 am Just saw Nylander had a hat trick last night. Good for him! Might just be a flash of energy after the trade and getting to play with the big club, but I felt he had talent during his short time with the Pens. As with the coach's MO, he slowly had his ice time reduced until he was banished across the state, never to be seen again.
Nylander has 6 points in 5 games played with Columbus.

Meanwhile, Harkins has 4 points in 42 games played in Pittsburgh this year.
Matthew Phillips, who they picked up (and subsequently dumped) rather than play Nylander, has 5 points in 30 games played in the NHL this season.

At some point, evaluation and utilization has to be addressed.
Not to pile on too much, but the guy we initially dumped for Nylander, Lafferty, has 11 g and 10 a this season for Vancouver. I still think that Nylander's a classic AHL/NHL tweener, but yeah, the player usage is really suspect at this point.
Accountability seems to be an issue
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

So is Jaromir recruiting for the Penguins?
Via TribLive’s Seth Rorabaugh, it looks as if Jagr is coming back to participate in Mario Lemieux’s Fantasy Camp from March 9-14. And he is bringing Jiri Tichacek with him.

Tichacek is a 21-year-old defenseman who led Jagr’s Kladno team in scoring over in Czechia. Jagr still owns that team and plays for it
https://triblive.com/sports/first-call- ... gr-return/
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Taking another swing at the dead horse.

For years, we have heard about the need for secondary scoring, the bottom 6 isn't performing, the bottom 6 needs to be addressed. So, I' looking around at stats for guys who are here and those who have left. We had some guys who apparently can play, and produce, on a 4th line - got rid of both.

Vancouver has Teddy Blueger and Sam Lafferty on the 4th line this year. They are both younger than the guys Pittsburgh replaced them with. Here are the stats for this season (only this season, just for an illustration):

Tedy Blueger - 29 - 23 pts in 49 games
Sam Lafferty - 28 - 21 pts in 60 games

Noel Acciari - 32 yo - 5 pts in 45 games
Jeff Carter - 39 - 9 pts in 53 games
Jansen Harkins - 26 - 4 pts in 42 games
Matt Nieto - 31 - 4 pts in 22 games

Ouch!
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

We all know the problem. It is not like it hasn't been painfully obvious for years...with Sullivan you either A) are a high priced star that he has to let play and probably hates it (like Kessel) or B) you are a plugger borderline nhl caliber player like he was, so he loves you or C) you don't play the way he wants and how he likes and don't fit his mold so you either ruin your game and neglect your actual strengths or (and still often actually and, not or) don't play in the NHL or play for 6 minutes. I mean, wow..a 4th line of supposed worthless castoff trash from our roster that has 10+ goals each and 25-30ish points each for a season? I would take a 4th line like that in a heartbeat. Sullivan is more interested in playing 6th liners though.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Yohe reported that multiple team sources have told him several teams have made serious inquiries on Bryan Rust, with Detroit pushing the hardest. Dubas to date has said he has not and will not ask Bryan Rust to waive his NTC.

I think that's the wrong course of action. I like Rust, but like half the roster, he's not going to age well. He's also extremely injury prone. He's missed 56 games to injury since the 2018-2019 season. With the exception of last year, he's missed over 10 games every year. These numbers don't count 4 games missed for COVID reasons.

If there is a taker and a good offer, make the trade. Don't say you're going to get younger than pass on every deal out there to help you do it.

Detroit wants Rust, fine. Tell them it will cost them Joe Veleno and either Nate Danielson (just for the Mr. Miyagi jumbotron fun) or Marco Kasper. Throw in Eller for a 3rd rounder if they are worried about losing Veleno while Larkin is out.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:51 pm Yohe reported that multiple team sources have told him several teams have made serious inquiries on Bryan Rust, with Detroit pushing the hardest. Dubas to date has said he has not and will not ask Bryan Rust to waive his NTC.

I think that's the wrong course of action. I like Rust, but like half the roster, he's not going to age well. He's also extremely injury prone. He's missed 56 games to injury since the 2018-2019 season. With the exception of last year, he's missed over 10 games every year. These numbers don't count 4 games missed for COVID reasons.

If there is a taker and a good offer, make the trade. Don't say you're going to get younger than pass on every deal out there to help you do it.

Detroit wants Rust, fine. Tell them it will cost them Joe Veleno and either Nate Danielson (just for the Mr. Miyagi jumbotron fun) or Marco Kasper. Throw in Eller for a 3rd rounder if they are worried about losing Veleno while Larkin is out.
I agree although Ryan Wilson had a great point today. He mentioned that the Pens win by losing this year but that you can still lose and allow Sid and Co to get their points. Sid is chasing some records still. By keeping Rust and playing Geno on the other wing, Sid and Geno can rack up some points while becoming a 1 line team and losing games. Losing games allows them to draft in the top 10 this summer.

If you trade away both Jake and Rust, even with Geno up on Sid's wing (and this is a big if considering Sully almost never does this), who plays on the other wing?
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:51 pm Yohe reported that multiple team sources have told him several teams have made serious inquiries on Bryan Rust, with Detroit pushing the hardest. Dubas to date has said he has not and will not ask Bryan Rust to waive his NTC.

Detroit is a great place for Rust to go. It is an opportunity for Rust to be in the playoffs and relevant again. It is his hometown. I truly believe Rust would waive his NTC to go to the Red Wings.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Washington re-claims Phillips on waivers. Good. That’s one less contract on the books from the 50 maximum allowed. 47 of 50.
Last edited by KG on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Tico Rick wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:06 pm So is Jaromir recruiting for the Penguins?
Via TribLive’s Seth Rorabaugh, it looks as if Jagr is coming back to participate in Mario Lemieux’s Fantasy Camp from March 9-14. And he is bringing Jiri Tichacek with him.

Tichacek is a 21-year-old defenseman who led Jagr’s Kladno team in scoring over in Czechia. Jagr still owns that team and plays for it
https://triblive.com/sports/first-call- ... gr-return/
More on Tichacek here:

https://eprinkside.com/2023/11/08/centr ... -nhl-draft
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Jagr bringing gifts when all we ever wanted was him. :)
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Man, why does this stuff always take to the last minute? You CAN make trades before the deadline day...get to it already!
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Yeah if that is true, to me it shows 2 things...one, how much absurd sway Sullivan has over this whole organization and two, that KD is an idiot overrated flunky who has no business being a GM. Rust is not a player that has anywhere in any way, shape or form earned immunity from trade discussion to the point you won't even ask him if he wants to be moved if a good offer is on the table. That would be grotesque malfeasance in the GM duties if you ask me. Hopefully it is just idle rumor.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

If the goal is to win the Stanley Cup, then anyone not named Crosby should be available for the right price (assuming NMC/NTC are waived by the player). Hanging onto anyone like Malkin or Rust, for example, just seems to be more in the interests of nostalgia than winning. This team is ancient, the coach appears to be a bad fit, they have no cap room, and haven't made the playoffs/made any noise in the playoffs in a long time. Something thing(s) have to give. I was pumped to get Dubas here last off-season, but so far, he seems to be either out of ideas or has his hands tied by FSG. This has been a painful descent into mediocrity.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Antonio wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:52 pm

Yeah if that is true, to me it shows 2 things...one, how much absurd sway Sullivan has over this whole organization and two, that KD is an idiot overrated flunky who has no business being a GM. Rust is not a player that has anywhere in any way, shape or form earned immunity from trade discussion to the point you won't even ask him if he wants to be moved if a good offer is on the table. That would be grotesque malfeasance in the GM duties if you ask me. Hopefully it is just idle rumor.
125% - the term alone on guys like Rust, Jarry and Rakell were bad enough. And then they also got NMC in addition. It's almost like Hextall/Dubas were just betting against themselves with these offers. IMO, these NMCs and NTCs should be reserved for superstars and real game-changers. None of those 3 players are even close to that threshold. Absolutely asinine that both GMs just handed these out like candy.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Coffey Break wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:59 pm
Antonio wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:52 pm

125% - the term alone on guys like Rust, Jarry and Rakell were bad enough. And then they also got NMC in addition. It's almost like Hextall/Dubas were just betting against themselves with these offers. IMO, these NMCs and NTCs should be reserved for superstars and real game-changers. None of those 3 players are even close to that threshold. Absolutely asinine that both GMs just handed these out like candy.
The only thing Hextall did right with Rust is, he didn't give the full NMC for all 6 years. Only the first 3 years. Dubas needs to lower the number of NTC/NMC clauses on the team, and, if you do need to add that as a sweetener, don't do it for all years of a 5+ year deal. Front load or back load the trade protection.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

If we are going to try to make the playoffs next year, you gotta keep someone for the top 6. Beside Jake, Rust if their most consistent top 6 guy, good PKer, lots of speed and energy. While you might be get a decent haul for Rust, you need someone to play with Sid who can produce and is proven. Rust's cap hit isn't that bad, I think he is worth keeping.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

yinzer69 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:34 pm If we are going to try to make the playoffs next year, you gotta keep someone for the top 6. Beside Jake, Rust if their most consistent top 6 guy, good PKer, lots of speed and energy. While you might be get a decent haul for Rust, you need someone to play with Sid who can produce and is proven. Rust's cap hit isn't that bad, I think he is worth keeping.
I'm in this boat as well. If there is one winger you want to keep off this current roster, it's Rust. The guy just works and is the definition of consistency
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I am not looking to move rust either and I would agree with you. Problem for me is, IF you get a significant offer from another team and you refuse to even broach the subject with Rust about moving, then you're doing it wrong in my book. I'm not looking to actively shop him because there are many others that should be actively moved first, but you absolutely have to listen to offers and take them on anyone if the deal is right.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

^ Correct.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Chris Johnston
@reporterchris
With the #canucks believed to be among those pursuing Jake Guentzel, word is they've had discussions about potentially flipping Elias Lindholm to the #bruins as part of the machinations to make it happen.

Nothing concrete in place at this time. Still lots of moving parts.

Imagine if JR moves on from Lindholm already? lol