Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

Chris Johnston
@reporterchris
Placed on NHL waivers today: Joel Hanley (DAL), Aaron Dell (LA) and Matthew Phillips (PIT).

That one was a dud KD lol
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Tomorrow do Harkins
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

It's really fun to go back and read the previous years "roster decisions" threads
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Ruff fired. Yet Sullivan remains. Make it make sense.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Wait, you can fire coaches based on poor performance despite just signing them to extensions? Does FSG know this?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:19 pm

Wait, you can fire coaches based on poor performance despite just signing them to extensions? Does FSG know this?
And FSG has pretty much the deepest pockets going. Also, Sully will be hired by the Devils basically after the end of the season, so we won't even be on the hook for more than a few months.

In other words. Rip the bandaid.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Sullivan will likely find the same "success" that Byslma did when he was canned. He was barely average before coming here, struck lightning in a bottle for a year and a half, and has been a regular season wonder at best for seven years since. Someone will snap him up, sure, and he will fade into obscurity just like Bylsma did.

Everyone was quick to acknowledge Matt Murray was a matter of "right place, right time", and the team quickly moved on. Sullivan was the exact same situation at the exact same time, yet the organization refuses to move on despite all evidence.

This is a team with several generational talents, that spends to the cap every year... yet they will have one playoff series win in seven years, none in the last six, and two straight years out of the playoffs altogether.

Sullivan is not special. Sullivan is doing nothing for this team. They need to move on.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Don't look now, but another player not good enough for Sullivan is having success elsewhere:

Nylander with 2 goals, 3 assists playing in his 6th game with Columbus
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:37 pm Don't look now, but another player not good enough for Sullivan is having success elsewhere:

Ha! Is he really 2-3-5 ? I don’t know I feel like players come here and think Sid and Geno are Mario and Jagr in their prime and lay up or try to fit in. Also, the coach doesn’t put them in the right situations.

At least it doesn’t look like Benstrom is going to score 6 goals with us …
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

KG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:46 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:37 pm Don't look now, but another player not good enough for Sullivan is having success elsewhere:

Ha! Is he really 2-3-5 ? I don’t know I feel like players come here and think Sid and Geno are Mario and Jagr in their prime and lay up or try to fit in. Also, the coach doesn’t put them in the right situations.

Let's see if Nylander is on their roster to start next season.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

Sigwolf wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:33 pm Sullivan will likely find the same "success" that Byslma did when he was canned. He was barely average before coming here, struck lightning in a bottle for a year and a half, and has been a regular season wonder at best for seven years since. Someone will snap him up, sure, and he will fade into obscurity just like Bylsma did.

Everyone was quick to acknowledge Matt Murray was a matter of "right place, right time", and the team quickly moved on. Sullivan was the exact same situation at the exact same time, yet the organization refuses to move on despite all evidence.

This is a team with several generational talents, that spends to the cap every year... yet they will have one playoff series win in seven years, none in the last six, and two straight years out of the playoffs altogether.

Sullivan is not special. Sullivan is doing nothing for this team. They need to move on.
This is exactly right. It’s uncanny how similar Bylsma and Sullivan are as coaches. This team is beyond ready for a new coaching staff. It’s insane that it’s taking so long, IMO. No playoff series wins in the last six years now?!? That alone is crazy.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:49 pm

Sorry, that tweet is now out of date...Nylander scored his 2nd goal of the game tonight. Now has 3 goals, 3 assists in 6 games. Why do I feel like the GWG tomorrow will be scored by Nylander?
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:22 pm
dark_forces wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:49 pm

Sorry, that tweet is now out of date...Nylander scored his 2nd goal of the game tonight. Now has 3 goals, 3 assists in 6 games. Why do I feel like the GWG tomorrow will be scored by Nylander?
I hope he does, and skates right by the Pens bench pointing at Sullivan the whole way
tman1737
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by tman1737 »

Make that a hatty for Nylander 2nite.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Now that the wheels have come off, I desperately hope FSG will let KD fire Sullivan. Waiting solves nothing.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

tman1737 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:40 pm Make that a hatty for Nylander 2nite.
So he's this year's version of Kapanen when he went to the Blues last year and somewhat lite it up. Year 2 in St Louis didn't go nearly as well, and I expect the same for Nylander in Columbus.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

pens_CT wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:54 pm
So he's this year's version of Kapanen when he went to the Blues last year and somewhat lite it up. Year 2 in St Louis didn't go nearly as well, and I expect the same for Nylander in Columbus.
Time will tell. But the fact he’s shown life elsewhere is another potential strike against this team and Sullivan. I swear, players come here and just try to fit in with this “elite” core, as opposed to just playing their own game.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:01 pm
Time will tell. But the fact he’s shown life elsewhere is another potential strike against this team and Sullivan. I swear, players come here and just try to fit in with this “elite” core, as opposed to just playing their own game.

He has some talent, however I don't think his work ethic ever came close to someone who wants to succeed in the NHL.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

dark_forces wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:49 pm Let's see if Nylander is on their roster to start next season.
This.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

McLellan fired with recent extension, same with Ruff now.. what are FSG and KD waiting for with Sully? Can it be worst than it is? HEEEELL NO!

Give Velucci until end of season and go from there..
tman1737
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by tman1737 »

Idk, maybe let players play to their strengths. Maybe Sullivan's system, and penchant for burying guys for one mistake, makes guys like Nylander overly cautious, too afraid to screw up, instead of using their natural abilities & instincts to play uninhibited.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Feels so strange as a lifelong fan sitting here during trade deadline week as a seller.

The anticipation and excitement of which players are arriving in time for a playoff push, being replaced by which players are arriving in time for a future push to return to the playoffs.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Exactly. Nylander had plenty of chances to get an HT in PGH. For whatever reason, it didn't work out. It also didn't work out for him in Buffalo and Chicago prior to the Pens. Suddenly, he's a lost asset? Who cares?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

tman1737 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:21 pm Idk, maybe let players play to their strengths. Maybe Sullivan's system, and penchant for burying guys for one mistake, makes guys like Nylander overly cautious, too afraid to screw up, instead of using their natural abilities & instincts to play uninhibited.
Or, he's really not that good since this is now his 4th team in his young career. He got lucky last night - that's about it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:01 pm
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... pid=187435

This is his 4th NHL team in 7 seasons. What in the world makes you think a hattrick in one game makes him some lost gem? Look at his stat lines!!! He's NOT THAT GOOD PEOPLE!