What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:30 am I know the rumors are out there that Dubas prefers prospects to picks, I get that, but I do think we need to get a 1st round pick back in any trade for Jake. We are going to be losing our 1st round pick either this year or next for the EK trade. Would certainly like to try to replenish that pick one way or another.

Depends on the type of prospect they get back, and whether Jake is a rental or re-signs with the new team.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

https://triblive.com/sports/madden-mond ... ettersson/

“I’ve heard they may yet sign Guentzel,” Madden said. “I’ve heard he’s come down off his asking price a little bit. But is that the right move to make? You’re going to have to sign him for six, seven, maybe eight years, and you want the team to get younger? Is that facilitated by signing a 29-year-old to that length of deal?”

“I also know there’s a lot of interest in Marcus Pettersson,” Madden said. “Why wouldn’t there be? He is a great defensive defenseman, and that could mean a lot to a legit contender. Should the Penguins trade him? Depends on what they get. If they got a real big return, I’d say yeah. But you’ve still got to play games next year.”
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:28 am https://triblive.com/sports/madden-mond ... ettersson/

“I’ve heard they may yet sign Guentzel,” Madden said. “I’ve heard he’s come down off his asking price a little bit. But is that the right move to make? You’re going to have to sign him for six, seven, maybe eight years, and you want the team to get younger? Is that facilitated by signing a 29-year-old to that length of deal?”

“I also know there’s a lot of interest in Marcus Pettersson,” Madden said. “Why wouldn’t there be? He is a great defensive defenseman, and that could mean a lot to a legit contender. Should the Penguins trade him? Depends on what they get. If they got a real big return, I’d say yeah. But you’ve still got to play games next year.”
Well, this is where Dubas needs to set the direction. Dipping our toes in a bit of each direction won't work. FSG tried to make Hextall do it. Dubas/FSG also needs to understand that there is much more potential risk in the path they have been taken. If the rumors are true that FSG doesn't want some extremely long rebuild cycle to get back to being a good team, then they need to burn down what they can now and get younger. They can't keep saying they want to be a contender, and they want to keep all these picks and prospects. That won't work.

If they continue down the path they are on, which would be signing Guentzel, then 2-3 years, they aren't going to have anything of value to trade and are going to have to flat out stink for 3-4 years to acquire the picks.

Trade Guentzel. Get that haul.
If the offer is there, trade Jarry. Get that haul.
I really like Pettersson, but his haul should be huge right now with another year on his deal under 5M.

Those 3 right there are enough to hopefully acquire a good set of young prospects and start loading up on picks NOW, and retooling around Crosby. Otherwise, good luck with this team not being putrid for close to a decade. Longest playoff drought in team history is 6 years, starting before Lemieux came until his first playoff series in 88-89. Next longest playoff drought was 4 years, which started the year after Jagr was traded and saw us return to the playoffs in Crosby's 2nd year. We are about to be in our 2nd year of a playoff drought.

A lot riding on the decisions Dubas makes in the next 5 days. Hanging on to past glory, hopefully, is not the path chosen.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

"Trade Guentzel. Get that haul.
I really like Pettersson, but his haul should be huge right now with another year on his deal under 5M."

Agree with all 3 of these takes.

I would also add in others like Rakell, Smith, Carter, Graves and EK if possible.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
The sense is the Penguins after that road trip have a very clear sense of what needs to be done before Friday's deadline. And charting a course accordingly. Exploring all options with view to bolster the club for the future. Hearing there's 6-plus legit suitors for Guentzel, VGK and VAN among them.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:28 pm "Trade Guentzel. Get that haul.
I really like Pettersson, but his haul should be huge right now with another year on his deal under 5M."

I would also add in others like Rakell, Smith, Carter, Graves and EK if possible.

You realize they have to put a team on the ice after the deadline.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:28 pm Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
The sense is the Penguins after that road trip have a very clear sense of what needs to be done before Friday's deadline. And charting a course accordingly. Exploring all options with view to bolster the club for the future. Hearing there's 6-plus legit suitors for Guentzel, VGK and VAN among them.
We can only hope that FGM Rutherford overpays to get Jake.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

@PierreVLeBrun
Let's make a deal!!!
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

pens_CT wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:49 pm
@PierreVLeBrun
We can only hope that FGM Rutherford overpays to get Jake.
That is not a problem. Gives the team a few months to evaluate what we have in the minors before this summer.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

KG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:20 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:15 pm

:face: :face:
Rusty our future captain! Sullivan's boy forevvvvaaaa
Sad part is this implies that Sully will be here forever :face: :face: :face:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

As much as I hate to help Edmonton, which is a '67 team that will more than likely make their way to a 6th Cup before us, thus making them the most successful post-expansion team rather than us, I feel like you guys are talking me into Holloway. I don't follow juniors, prospects, etc., so I just lean on you guys to get the info and it seems to me that Holloway is far and away the best prospect we can land in exchange for Jake.

Whatever the case may be, I just hope that when we do land in the top 5 draft pick selection, it's the next Mario or Sid. I've been watching Penguins hockey since roughly 1988, and in my viewing we've never NOT had the best player in the league, and I'm not interested in starting now! ;)
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

If they can resign Guentzel and they aren't getting a guaranteed 25 goal scorer back then yes they should do it.
If they can't resign him at this point, then it's time to wait for the best offer on Friday and pull the trigger realizing the rebuild has officially started.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Maestro wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:55 pm If they can resign Guentzel and they aren't getting a guaranteed 25 goal scorer back then yes they should do it.
If they can't resign him at this point, then it's time to wait for the best offer on Friday and pull the trigger realizing the rebuild has officially started.
There's no scenario where we are getting a guaranteed 25 goal scorer back in return for Guentzel. And the variable we aren't going to know until potentially after Friday's deadline, but maybe never...is if Jake is hell bent on testing the market. There have been many a good player that, even though after years on a very good team, get to this point in their career, realize this is their last big $$$ contract, and want to see what's out there.

I kind of believe in my gut that is what Jake wants. He took less to play here last time. It's his last chance to cash in. I think he wants to see what amount and what teams offer him the money he deserves, and hopes that a team offers him his fair value and that team is a strong contender.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

"There's no scenario where we are getting a guaranteed 25 goal scorer back in return for Guentzel. "

Of course you don't know that (e.g. how exactly does edmn plan on fitting him under the cap?) but that would be highly unlikely so... resigning would help more long term than 99% of possible trade scenarios of late pick in 1st rd plus 2 middling players that do nothing to improve the team. But I don't blame him if he's fed up with the downward spiral that is the Penguins and at that point you have to take what you can get I guess.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

pens_CT wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:47 pm

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

pekkasteele wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:23 am
pens_CT wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:47 pm

Honestly, it would be much more entertaining than the zombies we've been watching the past few weeks.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Skating Jake...!!!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

penny lane wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:28 am

Skating Jake...!!!
I've honestly wondering if he's being kept out for trade reasons.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

If a team were to trade for Jake, could he stay on IR until the playoffs started for cap circumvention purposes of the acquiring team? I know that would be extreme, but just wondering.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I think the Pens would accept that deal. That would be the equivalent of 3 first round picks. Brisson and Edstrom are most recent 1st round pics from Vegas. Albeit very late 1st rounders, but still...
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:18 pm There's no scenario where we are getting a guaranteed 25 goal scorer back in return for Guentzel.
If it's a sign and trade, what do you think a package would look like then for Jake? I would hope better than simply prospects.

Edit: I might have used the wrong term in "sign and trade" - I've just been reading how some teams may ask for ability to negotiate extension prior to trade.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:27 am

Skating Jake...!!!
He's on LTIR so he legally cannot come back until March 10th. You are required to miss 10 games and 24 days on LTIR.

And, based on what I have seen...I tend to think he had a sprain or bruise, nothing broken, and they LTIRd him because they needed the cap space to replace him on the roster.

He was shooting like a week to 10 days after he was out of the lineup. You aren't doing that with a broken wrist or hand.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Dreger saying that Vegas is the favorite to land Jake...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Taj
@taj1944
Dhaliwal on Guentzel: The asking price is high and Canucks don't want to trade Lekkerimäki or Willander...Podkolzin isn't going to get it done.

Dhaliwal mentions other teams have deeper prospect pools."

I don't know many teams that are looking at Jake that really have deep prospect pools to be honest. Vegas and Edmonton are ranked toward the bottom. Carolina definitely does, but they rarely pay up for rentals. I think Dubas is holding out for Lekkerimaki hoping Vancouver will budge. Clock is ticking...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:07 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:27 am

Skating Jake...!!!
He's on LTIR so he legally cannot come back until March 10th. You are required to miss 10 games and 24 days on LTIR.

And, based on what I have seen...I tend to think he had a sprain or bruise, nothing broken, and they LTIRd him because they needed the cap space to replace him on the roster.

He was shooting like a week to 10 days after he was out of the lineup. You aren't doing that with a broken wrist or hand.
Yeah, but I mean, on "LTIR" to keep him safe. Or, as you state, to free up cap space. It was a play that helped in both regards.