Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:14 pm Really good article from Patrick Damp on how the Penguins got into the mess of a roster they have today. Article take a look at players moved out, players moved in, differential in what players put up here vs elsewhere, etc

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news ... -playoffs/
Good grief another article that starts out with McCann. The only stat that resonates with me is one goal in 20 playoff games with Pittsburgh and Seattle. I really don't care what his regular season numbers are when you don't produce when it counts.

Matheson didn't really need to be traded. They lost that trade obviously, but Matheson was inconsistent as hell on the defensive side.

Marino, people complained endlessly here that he made too much money for what little offense her provided. He's another guy who was inconsistent as hell on the defensive side. They obviously didn't get enough in return for him.

Reilly Smith has been a disappointment. Again after they made the deal I didn't hear anyone complain, and now multiple months later everyone sees him as a bust.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

According to Elliotte Friedman, on Saturday Headlines, teams approached the Penguins about Bryan Rust, but there are no plans to move him. Rust’s contract carries a full no-move clause, and Friedman says the Penguins will not ask him to waive the condition.

Everything should be on the table, I would ask Rust if he wants to go to any of the interested teams. Asking a guy if he wants to be moved and telling him the team wants to move him are two separate things.

If I'm Rust I would be intrigued by moving to a contender
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:43 pm According to Elliotte Friedman, on Saturday Headlines, teams approached the Penguins about Bryan Rust, but there are no plans to move him. Rust’s contract carries a full no-move clause, and Friedman says the Penguins will not ask him to waive the condition.

Everything should be on the table, I would ask Rust if he wants to go to any of the interested teams. Asking a guy if he wants to be moved and telling him the team wants to move him are two separate things.

Agreed. Any player on this team with any sense of an IQ should be able to look at how this team performed last year (even if they weren't here), look at their history the prior 4 years, and tell themselves that they have better chances to play for a Cup elsewhere.

They can tell each other they believe each other all they want. Hopes and dreams doesn't get teams into the playoffs, wins and points do, and this team for the 2nd year in a row isn't getting enough of either.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:43 pm According to Elliotte Friedman, on Saturday Headlines, teams approached the Penguins about Bryan Rust, but there are no plans to move him. Rust’s contract carries a full no-move clause, and Friedman says the Penguins will not ask him to waive the condition.

Maybe he just enjoys playing here? Does that mean he wouldn't consider going somewhere else, maybe yes or no.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

pens_CT wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:16 pm

Maybe he just enjoys playing here or doesn't want to move his family? Does that mean he wouldn't consider going somewhere else, maybe yes or no.

You're right maybe he does enjoy playing here, my point is ask the player what he wants to do. The article implies Dubas won't even ask Rust if he's interested in being moved.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

pens_CT wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:42 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:14 pm Really good article from Patrick Damp on how the Penguins got into the mess of a roster they have today. Article take a look at players moved out, players moved in, differential in what players put up here vs elsewhere, etc

Good grief another article that starts out with McCann. The only stat that resonates with me is one goal in 20 playoff games with Pittsburgh and Seattle. I really don't care what his regular season numbers are when you don't produce when it counts.

Matheson didn't really need to be traded. They lost that trade obviously, but Matheson was inconsistent as hell on the defensive side.

Marino, people complained endlessly here that he made too much money for what little offense her provided. He's another guy who was inconsistent as hell on the defensive side. They obviously didn't get enough in return for him.

Reilly Smith has been a disappointment. Again after they made the deal I didn't hear anyone complain, and now multiple months later everyone sees him as a bust.
I didn't complain about Smith and, if he is kept, I hope he turns it around.

Kinda given up on Graves by this stage though.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Devils lose again. It's like nobody wants the #3 Metro playoff spot...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:13 pm
pens_CT wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:42 pm

I didn't complain about Smith and, if he is kept, I hope he turns it around.

Kinda given up on Graves by this stage though.
If someone took him off our hands without totally ripping us off, I wouldn't be opposed to trading him. But, I'm pretty much settled that we are going to have to see what he gives us next year, and if he improves in our system next year.

I think Graves was overpaid by Dubas, and overvalued his skillset to some degree. On the flip side, he was not this bad in NJ or Colorado, which again has me wondering how much of this is the "Sullivan effect."
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

WTF???
https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1 ... mp4?tag=14
This is why we need to fire Sully! This is never OK
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

??? What???
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

The easy answer to end the nightmare for this team is to trade everyone but Crosby.

The hard part is trading everyone but Crosby because no other team is even willing to start a low-ball trade offer of a bag of used pucks for those players that need to be traded.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

BigMcK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:14 am The easy answer to end the nightmare for this team is to trade everyone but Crosby.

The hard part is trading everyone but Crosby because no other team is even willing to start a low-ball trade offer of a bag of used pucks for those players that need to be traded.
I cant imagine anyone wanting Geno.. and Pens dont have cojones to trade him anyway
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Came across this tweet. Gave me a chuckle.

Dimitri Filipovic
@DimFilipovic
The Penguins have used 29 skaters for at least 5 games this season

Only 17 of them have scored more goals than Tristan Jarry
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

I’m guessing if Dubas is active this week, Sullivan is safe to at least start next year as coach.

If Dubas sticks with his current team, with small changes, Sullivan is out after game 82. It’s a signal to the team that he knows Sullivan’s shelf life has expired.

In any event, the team is toast for this season.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Pens4Life wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:39 am
BigMcK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:14 am The easy answer to end the nightmare for this team is to trade everyone but Crosby.

I cant imagine anyone wanting Geno.. and Pens dont have cojones to trade him anyway
I'm not sure what to make of this... you can't imagine probably one of the top 10 centers in the history of the NHL being wanted by any current team in the league? Yeah, we all get that he isn't 25 any more, but 6.1//yr for a player who is going to give you solid 2C minutes... I'm just not following that logic, bud.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Guinness wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:06 am
Pens4Life wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:39 am

I'm not sure what to make of this... you can't imagine probably one of the top 10 centers in the history of the NHL being wanted by any current team in the league? Yeah, we all get that he isn't 25 any more, but 6.1//yr for a player who is going to give you solid 2C minutes... I'm just not following that logic, bud.
Posts like that further push me towards how spoiled and ignorant the fanbase truly is. It's truly dumbfounding. We got so used to seeing 71 flying around averaging 90-95 points/season that we now automatically think is dog**** because he's not producing the way he used to. There are numbers going around that despite all the struggles and everyone wanting to run him out of town, Geno's contract still holds a surplus value of $700K (at 37 and 6.1MM).

And no, re-signing 58 and 71 in 2022 is not the reason Jake has to be traded now. So let's put an end to that narrative before it even starts.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Spoiled without a doubt. And clueless too. Geno is still producing and with almost zero PP time and no linemates.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:14 pm
Many of us have been yelling this for years.
Zucker worked well with Geno.

What drives me crazy is how Sully treats Geno. If at any time during the season one of Sid's wingers gets hurt, he instantly takes Geno's from him and promotes him to Sid's wing. Sully never tries Jake on Geno's wing unless Sid is hurt. And Geno looks great with Jake.

We constantly spend tons and TONS of money on our defense and we have NOTHING for Geno and we are typically one injury away from Sid playing with a dud.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I think the only negative I will put on Dubas this season is he waited too long to make any changes to this team or coaching staff this season. He kept moving his goal post to make a decision on what direction the team is going to go. The team turned over a ton from last season but it hasn't worked from the opening month. Starting out 3-6 and the team never recovered from that. I do wonder how much FSG has his hands tied on Sullivan.

I think Dubas came into this organization with too much respect for the core and coaching staff. Obviously they are all winners, but it's very plain to see that those winning days are long gone and have been gone for years.

Time to bring in his own coach, and let him build the team his way. Sink or swim.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Yohe brought up a very interesting idea in his 10 thoughts last night. He mentioned the fans calling for him to be ousted, with the thought that Crosby and/or FSG love him so he won't be fired, but...

"But why would Sullivan want to stay with this team long-term? Oh, there are millions of reasons, of course. But let’s not act like he couldn’t land a lucrative job immediately upon being made available. It’s hard to feel good about the next couple of years unless Dubas is even smarter than we think."

Could we see a situation where Sullivan says if you want to make a coaching change, we can mutually terminate my contract (maybe with a payout included) and I'll go on my way to coach somewhere else?

Doubtful, but that would be interesting.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:47 pm Yohe brought up a very interesting idea in his 10 thoughts last night. He mentioned the fans calling for him to be ousted, with the thought that Crosby and/or FSG love him so he won't be fired, but...

"But why would Sullivan want to stay with this team long-term? Oh, there are millions of reasons, of course. But let’s not act like he couldn’t land a lucrative job immediately upon being made available. It’s hard to feel good about the next couple of years unless Dubas is even smarter than we think."

Could we see a situation where Sullivan says if you want to make a coaching change, we can mutually terminate my contract (maybe with a payout included) and I'll go on my way to coach somewhere else?

Doubtful, but that would be interesting.
He should do what Paul Maurice did in Winnipeg. Step down! Sullivan will have a job once the season is over. I bet New Jersey would give him a blank check.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:45 pm I think the only negative I will put on Dubas this season is he waited too long to make any changes to this team or coaching staff this season. He kept moving his goal post to make a decision on what direction the team is going to go. The team turned over a ton from last season but it hasn't worked from the opening month. Starting out 3-6 and the team never recovered from that. I do wonder how much FSG has his hands tied on Sullivan.

I think Dubas came into this organization with too much respect for the core and coaching staff. Obviously they are all winners, but it's very plain to see that those winning days are long gone and have been gone for years.

Time to bring in his own coach, and let him build the team his way. Sink or swim.
The coaching staff is on him. Player changes? It takes two to tango. I do believe Dubas when he said in his presser that he tried for awhile to make a "shake up the team" type of trade, but exhausted his trade options. There really haven't been many bigger trades to date, except maybe in the last week or two it has picked up.

Zadorov to VAN in late November
Drysdale to PHI in early January
Linholm to VAN in late January
Monahan to WPG in early February
Tanev to DAL in late February
Lyubushkin to TOR March 1st
Everything else was very minor type of stuff, including a few minor trades Dubas made like Nylander and Bemstrom.

That's it, and, some of those were destined to be deadline deals, and some had other reasons behind them (like the Drysdale trade). With the exception of maybe Monahan if we were in a playoff spot, I don't think we would have been any of these deals anyways.