2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by dark_forces »

thehockeyguru wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:16 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:45 pm
KG wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:51 pm
dark_forces wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:46 pm Not that it has any bearing, but TIOPS says that Reilly Smith is as good as gone and while offers of a 2nd round pick are out there, Pittsburgh wants a player for player swap for Smith.
They also noted that Dubas still really likes Noah Hanafin and they could still explore a sign and trade type scenario.
Take the pick for Smith and run. Use the $5mill in cap savings elsewhere.
The UFA crop isn't really the best for shopping next summer. I still wonder if we could see a Bunting for Smith swap. Bunting is a Dubas guy and there were reports he wanted him here in Pittsburgh. Bunting is doing a little better than Smith, but Smith's playoff experience and production is going to be sought after.
Bunting is a guy I would gladly take for Smith. Bunting makes 500k less and could slot in on Malkins LW
At this point, Smith would be the player I would put the highest odds on being dealt next week. If that comes to pass, I hope the PPG Paints crowd boos the heck out of him each time he returns in an opposing uniform.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:56 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:16 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:45 pm
KG wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:51 pm
dark_forces wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:46 pm Not that it has any bearing, but TIOPS says that Reilly Smith is as good as gone and while offers of a 2nd round pick are out there, Pittsburgh wants a player for player swap for Smith.
They also noted that Dubas still really likes Noah Hanafin and they could still explore a sign and trade type scenario.
Take the pick for Smith and run. Use the $5mill in cap savings elsewhere.
The UFA crop isn't really the best for shopping next summer. I still wonder if we could see a Bunting for Smith swap. Bunting is a Dubas guy and there were reports he wanted him here in Pittsburgh. Bunting is doing a little better than Smith, but Smith's playoff experience and production is going to be sought after.
Bunting is a guy I would gladly take for Smith. Bunting makes 500k less and could slot in on Malkins LW
At this point, Smith would be the player I would put the highest odds on being dealt next week. If that comes to pass, I hope the PPG Paints crowd boos the heck out of him each time he returns in an opposing uniform.
Bad timing take here.

Taylor Haase released an article today talking to Smith. One of the questions she flat out asked him was about the fan perception that Smith wasn't happy with the trade and doesn't want to be here. Smith said he has heard the social media noise, and nothing he can really do about it. The perception started when he was traded and wasn't available for a media session. People took that as him being unhappy. In reality, what he did say, though, is that he completely shuts down from hockey and business over the summer. He spends that time with his family and breaks away from "work." Says he has done that every year he's been in the league...doesn't do offseason interviews and that kind of stuff.

Smith went on to talk about how he really likes it here, likes where the family lives, and that a bunch of the Penguins players live very close to each other, and a lot of the other guys have children around the same age so it makes it great for them to get together as families.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024 ... -vegas-tlh
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Colorado traded Kurtis MacDermid to NJ for a pick and a prospect. Colorado clears out almost 1M in cap space. Maybe a precursor to a bigger move coming.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:46 pm Colorado traded Kurtis MacDermid to NJ for a pick and a prospect. Colorado clears out almost 1M in cap space. Maybe a precursor to a bigger move coming.
It makes you wonder if Colorado could be a dark horse in the Jake sweepstakes. They have a 2024 1st round pick, Ross Colton—who, per rumors, Dubas and co. covet—and likely could offer a pretty decent prospect. I don't know if that would be enough though when compared to competing offers.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:40 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:46 pm Colorado traded Kurtis MacDermid to NJ for a pick and a prospect. Colorado clears out almost 1M in cap space. Maybe a precursor to a bigger move coming.
It makes you wonder if Colorado could be a dark horse in the Jake sweepstakes. They have a 2024 1st round pick, Ross Colton—who, per rumors, Dubas and co. covet—and likely could offer a pretty decent prospect. I don't know if that would be enough though when compared to competing offers.
I don't think they'd give up Colton (who is 27 and a bit older than I'd want in a main piece), and their prospect pool is ranked one below ours. Dubas would have to go mainly futures here. 2025 1st, 2026 3rd, Calum Ritchie (who it their top prospect) and Miles Wood for Guentzel at 50% retained.

This really doesn't give us anything to go "OK, at least we got this piece heading into next year," which is what I'm really hoping for in a Guentzel trade.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Anyone 25 or over, I'm not interested.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Yowzer so much for Vancouver trading Pettersson he's extended 8yrs 11.6M per
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Washington has put Kuznetsov on waivers
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Friedman says Noah Hanifin's preferred trade destination is Tampa, and that Calgary and Tampa have had some in-depth discussions on making a trade. Friedman also said if it was easy, it probably would have been completed already.

Tampa has had interest in Hanifin every since Sergachev was injured.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Skatingpen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:11 pm Washington has put Kuznetsov on waivers
What’s that all about?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I like Ned but he needs to be dealt because someone needs goalie insurance and he fits under any cap. We won’t be able to afford to keep him this summer anyways.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:45 pm
Skatingpen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:11 pm Washington has put Kuznetsov on waivers
What’s that all about?
I believe he’s been in the player assistance program for the past few months. Usually that means substance abuse issues. Hadn’t played a game in that time. To waive him, it must be pretty bad.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pitts wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:51 am
What’s that all about?
I believe he’s been in the player assistance program for the past few months. Usually that means substance abuse issues. Hadn’t played a game in that time. To waive him, it must be pretty bad.
He was cleared to play I believe, right before he was waived.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:31 am
What’s that all about?
Wasn’t he on video a few years ago with some white powdery substance on the table?
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

So If Dubas made Jarry available at the deadline which teams would be interested (forget the cap implications for now)? I have Edmonton, Toronto, Colorado, New Jersey, and Detroit for starters
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

pens_CT wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:49 pm So If Dubas made Jarry available at the deadline which teams would be interested (forget the cap implications for now)? I have Edmonton, Toronto, Colorado, New Jersey, and Detroit for starters
I think Jersey and Detroit make the most sense. I doubt Edmonton or Colorado view Jarry much of an upgrade over what they already have.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

ejd43 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:41 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:31 am
What’s that all about?
Wasn’t he on video a few years ago with some white powdery substance on the table?
To me, Columbus screams out as a destination. He can be a #1 center on quite a few teams. They desperately need one.
Who knows if anyone touches him given his release.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

KG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:51 pm
pens_CT wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:49 pm So If Dubas made Jarry available at the deadline which teams would be interested (forget the cap implications for now)? I have Edmonton, Toronto, Colorado, New Jersey, and Detroit for starters
I think Jersey and Detroit make the most sense. I doubt Edmonton or Colorado view Jarry much of an upgrade over what they already have.
After watching the devils today, they need a goalie bad
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Skatingpen wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:16 pm
I would trade Jarry without even batting an eye. He's had a solid year, we can get some nice young pieces for him. Sign Ned and have Blomqvist or another veteran next season. Goaltending is like relief pitching. Very year to year and rare to find a consistent stud.
Last edited by KG on Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:49 pm
Skatingpen wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:16 pm
I would trade Jarry without even batting an eye. He's had a solid year, we can get some nice young pieces for him. Sign Ned and have Blomqvist or another veteran next season. Goaltending is life relief pitching. Very year to year and rare to find a consistent stud.
Even Dejan said something similar today. When Jarry's good, he's good. But, his bad habits continue to creep up and don't go away. The Calgary game wasn't on him, but, he's allowed to stop some of those difficult, high quality shots. He's usually the definition of not making a big save to give his team momentum.

I'd be perfectly fine with a Ned/Blomqvist tandem next season. And if Blomqvist isn't ready, even a Ned/Hellberg tandem.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

I think Hellberg is the perfect AHL/3rd string option, but I would be hesitant to go into next season with him as the primary backup. If Blomqvist doesn't appear ready for the role, I think they would need to bring a cheap veteran in as a backup.

Either way, I do think now is the time to move on from Jarry.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

LA too.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Sigwolf wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:13 pm I think Hellberg is the perfect AHL/3rd string option, but I would be hesitant to go into next season with him as the primary backup. If Blomqvist doesn't appear ready for the role, I think they would need to bring a cheap veteran in as a backup.

You can always take a bad goalie contract for assets. Edmonton would love to unload Campbell and I'd bet Detroit would move Husso
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:18 pm
Sigwolf wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:13 pm I think Hellberg is the perfect AHL/3rd string option, but I would be hesitant to go into next season with him as the primary backup. If Blomqvist doesn't appear ready for the role, I think they would need to bring a cheap veteran in as a backup.

You can always take a bad goalie contract for assets. Edmonton would love to unload Campbell and I'd bet Detroit would move Husso
Get a nice bit of compensation for taking Campbell and pair him with Blomqvist and hope for the best next year. Or worst depending on how you want to approach a rebuild.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I love Geno and Letang but if I am Dubas I need to know if they plan on playing past their current contracts. If they want to play their contracts out then retire I am allowing them that opportunity. But if either of them want to play past their contract I am trading them now while the return is still high. The only way you keep them is if they are retiring once their contract ends.