Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Antonio »

No, the problem here is that people confuse understanding and respecting what Malkin did and has done with knowing where he is and is going at a given point in his career. Those of us who saw and recognized it was time to move on from him a few years ago did not do it because we never liked him, or never saw what he once brought, etc...it is because we saw the direction he was taking and recognized that the team was better off by moving him/on from him. The blind obsession with players/coaches is exactly why this team is in the mess it is in right now. Honestly...can anyone seriously, SERIOUSLY say they think paying Malkin 6M a year next year, the year after, THE YEAR AFTER THAT is a good idea? It is another JC situation contractually. Just because he puts up 66 points, lets say, for 6m does not mean he was or is benefiting the team. Every time people bring up why and how we should have moved on from him (because it was pretty clear to a lot of us by watching his actual play at the time rather than tapes from 2009), the only real answer people have is, well he has had a HoF career and he can still put up a few points with 2C icetime! Just like hearing, but but but I won 2 Stanley Cups 9 years ago so I can't ever be fired.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

It's like a Mark Madden burner account on LGP anymore...

Hindsight is always 20/20 no matter what side of the fence you're on. You really think that would have been the easy decision (let alone, the right decision) to make back in 2018 when the team was coming off of back-to-back Cup runs and Malkin put up 98 points in 2017-2018? That's asinine on every single level.

Also, I love all the theoreticals about moving the guy or letting him go without providing what the tangible return/replacement would have been. And I promise you, Trocheck would have been a blackhole on Line 2.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Gruden called up. Will he be the 13th forward or will Sullivan scratch Puustinen or Puljujarvi for “reasons”, move Acciari up to the the third line and Gruden play with Harkins and Carter?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:41 pm Gruden called up. Will he be the 13th forward or will Sullivan scratch Puustinen or Puljujarvi for “reasons”, move Acciari up to the the third line and Gruden play with Harkins and Carter?
Harkins, Gruden, Carter. Might be the worst 4th line since Glass-Adams-Vitale lol
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

That is not an NHL line. Plain and simple. Ugh, makes me vomit even imagining those 3 as a line.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Antonio wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:09 pm That is not an NHL line. Plain and simple. Ugh, makes me vomit even imagining those 3 as a line.
Well we are saved, because while Gruden was at the full morning skate, he didn't participate in line rushes. Harkins-Acciari-Carter for the win, er loss? I dunno. But they are the 4th line tonight.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Antonio wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:45 am No, the problem here is that people confuse understanding and respecting what Malkin did and has done with knowing where he is and is going at a given point in his career. Those of us who saw and recognized it was time to move on from him a few years ago did not do it because we never liked him, or never saw what he once brought, etc...it is because we saw the direction he was taking and recognized that the team was better off by moving him/on from him. The blind obsession with players/coaches is exactly why this team is in the mess it is in right now. Honestly...can anyone seriously, SERIOUSLY say they think paying Malkin 6M a year next year, the year after, THE YEAR AFTER THAT is a good idea? It is another JC situation contractually. Just because he puts up 66 points, lets say, for 6m does not mean he was or is benefiting the team. Every time people bring up why and how we should have moved on from him (because it was pretty clear to a lot of us by watching his actual play at the time rather than tapes from 2009), the only real answer people have is, well he has had a HoF career and he can still put up a few points with 2C icetime! Just like hearing, but but but I won 2 Stanley Cups 9 years ago so I can't ever be fired.
Antonio knows best, everyone! Take his word for it.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Vancouver struggling. Maybe JR will get an itchy trigger finger and overpay for Jake.

They definitely have the assets to meet the asking price. Question is will they do it ?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Smith generating a lot of interest. More than Guentzel maybe? Says Servalli. I'm sure Dubas is asking for the moon for Jake. I don't think he's going to get the haul he's asking for, for Jake. Smith, you have to move on from. Take back as little cap as possible, just clear out that $5mill for next season.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/nhl-tra ... -guentzel/
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:44 am Smith generating a lot of interest. More than Guentzel maybe? Says Servalli. I'm sure Dubas is asking for the moon for Jake. I don't think he's going to get the haul he's asking for, for Jake. Smith, you have to move on from. Take back as little cap as possible, just clear out that $5mill for next season.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/nhl-tra ... -guentzel/
The return will be interesting, if the Pens can get a useful young forward without retaining I'll be very happy
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:55 am Vancouver struggling. Maybe JR will get an itchy trigger finger and overpay for Jake.

They definitely have the assets to meet the asking price. Question is will they do it ?
I've been back and forth with my buddy from Vancouver on potential Guentzel trades. At the beginning of the month, this was his suggested price for Guentzel as a rental:
--1st ‘25 (protected), Mikheyev, Podkolzin + Karlsson or Klimovich for Guentzel.

Last week, that changed to:
--Conditional 1st (drops to 3rd if Guentzel misses playoffs), Mikheyev (for cap reasons), and one of either Woo/Karlsson. This was for a rental.
--2025 1st, Mikheyev, Truscott, Raty, McDonough (Guentzel with an extension)

The injury concern was definitely there, even though I told him Guentzel is already skating and shooting, and that LTIR was more of a need for cap space than a need for longer recovery. The problem though for Vancouver in his eyes is that Vancouver won't be able to extend him. They need to extend Pettersson first, and want to extend Lindholm, and also need to extend Hronek. There's just not enough money to go around. He also said there is no way Vancouver is trading any of it's top 3 prospects for Guentzel. Lekkerimaki and Willander are definitely top 2, and I believe Podkolzin is 3rd rated in their system. He also said no way to dealing Hoglander.

My point of view is that, I'm sure my friend knows Vancouver's system, but a lot of these guys he's throwing out as "better prospects" aren't even ranked other places. McDonough, Woo, Karlsson aren't even on the Athletic's prospect pool rankings. Truscott that he mentioned, the Athletic has him potentially a depth 6/7 defenseman. That's not good enough.

In the grand scheme of things, if Dubas makes a trade for Guentzel, the main prized piece coming back should be a 24 and under NHL player who has top 6 potential. Someone like Lekkerimaki or Willander or Podkolzin might be a solid A level prospect, but, the first 2 aren't playing this season or next season, and Podkolzin has yet to show enough to stick. I think Dubas wants that young player like a Holloway, McLeod, Turcotte, Cooley type....someone that helps the team get young and plays meaningful minutes over the next 2 years with Sid here.

In terms of general pushback on the excessive ask of Dubas...people need to realize you are trading for an elite level 1st line forward. He's not a top 9 guy or a 2nd line guy, he's a high end top line winger. So, don't come throwing a top 9 potential forward who is very unlikely to ever be a 20 goal, 50 point guy in the NHL as your main "prospect" and think that's going to cut it.

I do think, however, that Rutherford and Allvin know Jake's true value, that he is not a product of Crosby and will produce with any above average center...he doesn't need an elite or generational center to succeed. Fans may be mad there if Canucks move a Hoglander, Lekkerimaki type in the deal, but I think they'll get over it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:06 am
Spoiler:
KG wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:55 am Vancouver struggling. Maybe JR will get an itchy trigger finger and overpay for Jake.

I've been back and forth with my buddy from Vancouver on potential Guentzel trades. At the beginning of the month, this was his suggested price for Guentzel as a rental:
--1st ‘25 (protected), Mikheyev, Podkolzin + Karlsson or Klimovich for Guentzel.

--Conditional 1st (drops to 3rd if Guentzel misses playoffs), Mikheyev (for cap reasons), and one of either Woo/Karlsson. This was for a rental.
The injury concern was definitely there, even though I told him Guentzel is already skating and shooting, and that LTIR was more of a need for cap space than a need for longer recovery. The problem though for Vancouver in his eyes is that Vancouver won't be able to extend him. They need to extend Pettersson first, and want to extend Lindholm, and also need to extend Hronek. There's just not enough money to go around. He also said there is no way Vancouver is trading any of it's top 3 prospects for Guentzel. Lekkerimaki and Willander are definitely top 2, and I believe Podkolzin is 3rd rated in their system. He also said no way to dealing Hoglander.
Spoiler:
My point of view is that, I'm sure my friend knows Vancouver's system, but a lot of these guys he's throwing out as "better prospects" aren't even ranked other places. McDonough, Woo, Karlsson aren't even on the Athletic's prospect pool rankings. Truscott that he mentioned, the Athletic has him potentially a depth 6/7 defenseman. That's not good enough.

In the grand scheme of things, if Dubas makes a trade for Guentzel, the main prized piece coming back should be a 24 and under NHL player who has top 6 potential. Someone like Lekkerimaki or Willander or Podkolzin might be a solid A level prospect, but, the first 2 aren't playing this season or next season, and Podkolzin has yet to show enough to stick. I think Dubas wants that young player like a Holloway, McLeod, Turcotte, Cooley type....someone that helps the team get young and plays meaningful minutes over the next 2 years with Sid here.

In terms of general pushback on the excessive ask of Dubas...people need to realize you are trading for an elite level 1st line forward. He's not a top 9 guy or a 2nd line guy, he's a high end top line winger. So, don't come throwing a top 9 potential forward who is very unlikely to ever be a 20 goal, 50 point guy in the NHL as your main "prospect" and think that's going to cut it.

I do think, however, that Rutherford and Allvin know Jake's true value, that he is not a product of Crosby and will produce with any above average center...he doesn't need an elite or generational center to succeed. Fans may be mad there if Canucks move a Hoglander, Lekkerimaki type in the deal, but I think they'll get over it.
Your buddy does know Jim Rutherford is their GM, correct? :)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Smith not sure where the narrative coming from that he's now happy here....Could be his play I'm thinking??

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024 ... -vegas-tlh
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:16 am
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Rutherford is probably trying to trade for Kapanen right now
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:30 pm
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

LOL. I did laugh at that :thumb:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Maybe he won’t notice we send him Koppanen if Dubas says his name really fast?
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

DelPen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:06 pm
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Maybe he won’t notice we send him Koppanen if Dubas says his name really fast?
I'll take a 7th rounder and a Canucks jersey with the mid 70s logo.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Poulin with 2 more assists tonight in the first period. 5 points in less than 2 games since returning from injury.

Call him up! Waive Harkins, Phillips, please...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:00 pm Poulin with 2 more assists tonight in the first period. 5 points in less than 2 games since returning from injury.

Call him up! Waive Harkins, Phillips, please...
Hinostroza also has 3 goals in a game and a half. Zohorna-Poulin-Hinostroza have looked good as a line this season. Poulin-Zohorna-Puustinen has looked good as a line this season.

Any combination of those 4 players on our 4th line over what we got cannot be any worse.

But instead, it appears that Puljujarvi is going to sit again tonight, with Gruden drawing in instead. :face:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

KG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:05 pm https://www.thefourthperiod.com/mar-202 ... le-players

KD could be busy this week!
The last time they were relevant was maybe 2003.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

So will the media now admit that last season wasn't all on Burxtall?? They gave Sullivan far too much of a pass. SOS this season, after all the changes.

Start fresh next season.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

KG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:14 am So will the media now admit that last season wasn't all on Burxtall?? They gave Sullivan far too much of a pass. SOS this season, after all the changes.

Start fresh next season.
No, and they shouldn't. Hextall/Burke made some really disastrous personnel decisions. IMHO GMKD has done what he could do in this first season as GM. From summer, his hands were to a certain extent tied. In what limited exposure I've had with KD, he seems to me to be a very calculating manager, who isn't going to try to correct his roster quickly, nor over the course of a single season. I think this summer and the following season leading into the 2025 trade deadline is going to tell us everything we should need to know about him.

Hex is a lunk, frankly. His view of the game, and management, is at least 15 years out of date. I'm much more interested in seeing what a young, smart, calculating manager can do with this roster than relying on dinosaurs like Burke and Hex.

That said, and it was a bit off-topic and kind of a non-sequitur... your comments re: Sully are well-made. I'm not as big of a detractor as some here, but it seems all too obvious that his system has been passed by, by the age and skillset of the team he manages. Time to move on - I appreciate the Cups, and best of luck to you at your next destination. Now lets go out and get our next Michel Terrien lol!
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

FIRE SULLY!!!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Really good article from Patrick Damp on how the Penguins got into the mess of a roster they have today. Article take a look at players moved out, players moved in, differential in what players put up here vs elsewhere, etc

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news ... -playoffs/