Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Dynasty1970 »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:38 pm
KG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:55 pm Pens with scouts at the Kings game tonight. Think that's 2 games in a row Pens have scouted the Kings.

Or it could be the Pens are on the same western Canada trip the Kings are on and are playing both the Oilers and Flames soon :)
Nah, it's for scouting purposes. Typically during the season, a scout may blow through a week or two ahead of a game against an opponent, just to get some game intel for their future matchup.

Penguins don't play LA again this season, so no other reason to be there. LA was considered a dark horse for Guentzel at one point.
Maybe trade Jake there for some returns and make em take Carter back.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

(Per David Pagnotta) 12 teams with reps on the list for tonight’s Knights/Leafs game here in Toronto: AZ, LA, SJ, OTT, MIN, VAN, WPG, STL, CAR, MTL, PIT, FLA

9 teams with reps on the list in Montreal for tonight’s Coyotes/Canadiens game: BOS, DAL, DET, NJ (2), NYR, OTT, STL, TB, WAS
flame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by flame »

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Carter moved?! Carter has a no movement clause and would have to waive it to get dealt. Not to mention - who would want him? The guys one of the worst forwards in the league. Why would the Kings want him? While he would probably waive hiw NMC for the kings what on earth would they want him for unless the pens forced him there on a Jake deal
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

flame wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:13 pm Wouldn’t be shocked to see Carter moved?! Carter has a no movement clause and would have to waive it to get dealt. Not to mention - who would want him? The guys one of the worst forwards in the league. Why would the Kings want him? While he would probably waive hiw NMC for the kings what on earth would they want him for unless the pens forced him there on a Jake deal
He would definitely waive his NMC to go back to the Kings! He has a house down the street from my last house in Manhattan Beach…..he loved it there. It’s a big difference from Pittsburgh being by the beach with great weather. I used to see Kings all the time around town.

https://theathletic.com/505249/2018/09/ ... sNewUser=1
flame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by flame »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:33 pm
flame wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:13 pm Wouldn’t be shocked to see Carter moved?! Carter has a no movement clause and would have to waive it to get dealt. Not to mention - who would want him? The guys one of the worst forwards in the league. Why would the Kings want him? While he would probably waive hiw NMC for the kings what on earth would they want him for unless the pens forced him there on a Jake deal
He would definitely waive his NMC to go back to the Kings! He has a house down the street from my last house in Manhattan Beach…..he loved it there. It’s a big difference from Pittsburgh being by the beach with great weather. I used to see Kings all the time around town.

https://theathletic.com/505249/2018/09/ ... sNewUser=1
Why would the Kings want one of the worst forwards in the NHL for?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Significant LAK update:

As the puck drops in Calgary, hearing Kings have started to make calls on available wingers, which would indicate more lengthy absence for Adrian Kempe (possible LTIR).

LAK already down 2 wingers with Viktor Arvidsson and Carl Grundstrom on LTIR.

---Gimme Alex Turcotte and a 3rd for Reilly Smith, and you have a deal.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:10 pm Significant LAK update:

As the puck drops in Calgary, hearing Kings have started to make calls on available wingers, which would indicate more lengthy absence for Adrian Kempe (possible LTIR).

LAK already down 2 wingers with Viktor Arvidsson and Carl Grundstrom on LTIR.

---Gimme Alex Turcotte and a 3rd for Reilly Smith, and you have a deal.
Dan Kingerski
@TheDanKingerski
Can confirm the senior advisor to the GM from the LA Kings (Marc Bergevin) is in attendance Penguins v Canucks.

Turcotte and/or Kaliyev make sense from LA from the Pens perspective.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Kingerski: Can confirm the senior advisor to the GM from the LA Kings (Marc Bergevin) is in attendance Penguins v Canucks.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Anyone hearing anything else? I hope no injuries!
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:16 pm Kingerski: Can confirm the senior advisor to the GM from the LA Kings (Marc Bergevin) is in attendance Penguins v Canucks.
I'm curious who LA was looking at?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

thehockeyguru wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:52 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:16 pm Kingerski: Can confirm the senior advisor to the GM from the LA Kings (Marc Bergevin) is in attendance Penguins v Canucks.
They are said to be looking for a goalie with Saros (Nashville) being a big target of theirs. Jarry maybe?? I know they rumored to have interest in Jake earlier.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:01 pm
They are said to be looking for a goalie with Saros (Nashville) being a big target of theirs. Jarry maybe?? I know they rumored to have interest in Jake earlier.
LA needs offense even worse with Kempe now injured. I could see Smith being a fit in LA. They probably won't go all in and go for Jake.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:18 pm
LA needs offense even worse with Kempe now injured. I could see Smith being a fit in LA. They probably won't go all in and go for Jake.
Smith or Rakell would make sense.

They are sniffing around Markstrom and Saros. Jarry is a better option than both.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:35 pm
KG wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:18 pm
Smith or Rakell would make sense.

They are sniffing around Markstrom and Saros. Jarry is a better option than both.
The problem with LA is, their better "prospects" are on the roster and part of their plans moving forward. Byfield, Turcotte, and Kaliyev. Brandt Clark, Turcotte, and Laferriere were ranked their top 3 prospects by the Athletic, and all 3 are on their roster today.

If we are going to move Jake or someone like Jarry, we should be looking at these young guys like a Turcotte, Kaliyev types, rather than the guys that are 18-19-20 age and still 2-3 years away from the NHL.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Great win last night, despite the usual frustrating shorty. It was also great to see Puustinen in overtime. I was shocked. And, he almost ended it. ...I'm wondering (speculating wildly) if having Jake and Rust hurt can be a good thing re: the deadline. Some of these players are getting chances in places they normally would never see, and they're getting ice time they'd never get (I never wish for injuries, but man, if Carter and Harkins would get really bad colds...). It could help KD's vision of getting younger and stockpiling some assets.

I mean, this Jake-Rustless lineup probably isn't sustainable for the long haul of winning into the playoffs, but is the full lineup? They could look to create a bidding war for Jake knowing they can at least hold their measly standings spot this year, and they could look into getting a nice return for Jarry. Eller is someone I thought should be gone at the deadline, but with one year left, I'd kind of like it if they kept him for now and looked to deal him at next year's deadline, unless someone blows them away with an offer. He's been more than solid for his role, and the fact he's signed for next year means they could get someone to overpay for a rental next deadline, if the Pens are out of contention. Let's face it, right now they could use more centers and not less.

Rakell is someone I like, even with his struggles this year. I'd hold on to him, hope for a nice rebound (he's showing signs) and they can trade him any time at the deadline/summer in the future, especially if he continues to trend up. Plus, another year off his contract status won't hurt. Rust's NMC comes off the books I believe after next season. Even if he has a dropoff in production, he will still be a much-sought-after asset at the deadline down the road. Also, remember what a train wreck Gonchar was his first season in Pittsburgh? I'm hoping Graves figures himself out as time goes by. If he does, he'll be tradeable down the line, or they can see him finally grow into the defenseman they envisioned when they signed him. Smith can go any time they can get something for him.

Long story long, some of these contracts won't be as a big a deal in a couple of years as Carter and the Petry retention and the JJ buyout come off the books. The cap goes up, too. They don't have to fire sale everyone this deadline year. Guentzel? Yes, they should. Jarry? I'd definitely listen to offers. MP? Maybe, although he's another who they could probably get someone to overpay for next year, or they could resign him if they want. He's been really good. Karlsson? Again, if there's another year off his contract and a little retention, they could (again) get a bidding war going at the deadline in 2025 or '26. I know he has a NMC, but by then if he sees a San Jose Part II occurring, I'd assuming he'd waive to have a chance to win. There are great assets to be had. With the cap, trades are always a slippery slope to navigate, but we'll see KD's worth sooner rather than later. He whiffed on a couple this season, but he did OK on some others, so I'm willing to see what he can do now.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

I completely agree. When you look at the return for Giroux they got Tippett who was a 10th overall pick in 2017 and was traded in 2022. The Pens should get a similar NHL player for Jake as well as a 1st and 3rd or similar value in prospects
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

You have to wonder if Sid putting up points without Jake is hurting Jake's trade value. Dubas needs to pull the trigger soon.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:18 pm You have to wonder if Sid putting up points without Jake is hurting Jake's trade value. Dubas needs to pull the trigger soon.
Not at all. That's absurd - every knows Crosby creates all his offense and can make damn near anyone look great - Hello Connor Sheary?

Jake has been one of the most prolific playoff scorers in recent memory. He will shine with whatever top center he pairs with. Remember he did well with Malkin also.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Same reason a team like Pittsburgh would reacquire Bonino….can’t help but think they can refind the success back in a familiar place
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:18 pm You have to wonder if Sid putting up points without Jake is hurting Jake's trade value. Dubas needs to pull the trigger soon.
Jake has lit it up without Crosby.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Interesting comment in Josh Yohe's mailbag today. Someone asked why the Penguins don't consider moving Malkin to wing.

Yohe said in a conversation he had with Tocchet when he was an assistant here, they weren't talking about Malkin at all, but, Tocchet made the comment that for Sullivan's system to work and be effective they need to have speed on the wings.

So Yohe said that is likely the reason why Malkin to wing hasn't been considered...he doesn't have the speed to be effective as a winger in Sullivan's system.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

So more evidence Sully is a 1 trick pony.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Malkin should have been moved in a trade three years ago while he had shelf life and not a player seemingly disinterested in playing, (correction: he has love for the game, and a desire to win), with a body unable to do Malkin things.

Player loyalty seems to be a recent affliction within Penguins management over the past few years.

Outside of Crosby and possibly Letang, the recent Playoff failures should have required a roster change.

Mediocrity is a badge easily given to those who aspire to settling 51% ahead of 49%.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

BigMcK wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:09 am Malkin should have been moved in a trade three years ago while he had shelf life and not a player seemingly disinterested in playing, (correction: he has love for the game, and a desire to win), with a body unable to do Malkin things.

Player loyalty seems to be a recent affliction within Penguins management over the past few years.

Outside of Crosby and possibly Letang, the recent Playoff failures should have required a roster change.

Mediocrity is a badge easily given to those who aspire to settling 51% ahead of 49%.
Here's the thing with all the Malkin hate, etc...the guy has averaged more than a point per game throughout his HOF career. This also includes the past 2 seasons (83 in 82 games last year and 42 in 41 games during his contract year). We've gotten so used to him performing at such an elite level, that any deviance from that norm sets off red flags for everyone. Yes, his play has dipped - that happens with MOST players at that age. I'm not absolving him of that, but on the same token, he's on pace for 66 points this year as a 2C making 6M. I don't have all the research in front of me, but I have a hard time believing the list of players that provide that type of output at 6M is a long list (especially 2C).

Trocheck is an easy name to bring up, but we're not all blessed to be saddled alongside Artemi Panarin. Would love to see what the numbers looked like if Geno had Trocheck's wingers and Trocheck was forced to play with the slugs that Malkin has had for majority of this year.

And most of us still have receipts from ALOT of fans and media personalities who have been trying to run this guy out of town since 2009 (right after he won the Conn Smythe). So this is nothing new really....
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

^^^ I cannot agree with you more. I can handle differing opinions, but the group hate on a guy while ignoring some obvious facts is frustrating.

Fact: Malkin is getting older and not as good as he once was.

Fact: Malkin performing at his current level is still a good deal at his salary.
Fact: Malkin has absolute crap to work with.
Fact: Malkin is a Penguin legend and one of the main reasons we have been blessed to celebrate 3 cups in the past 15 years and deserves some leeway regarding his dip in production.