Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by BigMcK »

It might be interesting to conduct a poll asking posters for a percentage of chance a current player will be traded before the trade deadline, or if you predict it to occur. It seems that more rumors are popping up with more players to be added each time.

Jake - 80% yes
Graves - 60% no
Eller - 100% yes
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I dont think Jarry will fetch that much, his past performances not exactly screaming top 10 goalie in the league.. this year he is a bit better, but I doubt he will bring high picks, prospect and NHL player back.. - I just dont see it..

Regarding MP, he should be on table.. EK65 especially with his down year -- Crosby, Geno and Tanger are untouchable I think.. I would also still like to keep both Jake (re-signed 4 yrs x 8.5M,but doubtful it happens) and Rusty! I would rather trade Geno and Letang than younger wingers, but thats not happening.. they will retire as Pens
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:16 am I dont think Jarry will fetch that much, his past performances not exactly screaming top 10 goalie in the league.. this year he is a bit better, but I doubt he will bring high picks, prospect and NHL player back.. - I just dont see it..

Regarding MP, he should be on table.. EK65 especially with his down year -- Crosby, Geno and Tanger are untouchable I think.. I would also still like to keep both Jake (re-signed 4 yrs x 8.5M,but doubtful it happens) and Rusty! I would rather trade Geno and Letang than younger wingers, but thats not happening.. they will retire as Pens
Keep:
Crosby/Malkin/Letang
EK65 - I don't think he's moveable right now
MP - sorry, we need to keep the best defender we have and he's still on the young side.

Anyone else = trade bait.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:10 am
Pens4Life wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:16 am I dont think Jarry will fetch that much, his past performances not exactly screaming top 10 goalie in the league.. this year he is a bit better, but I doubt he will bring high picks, prospect and NHL player back.. - I just dont see it..

Keep:
Crosby/Malkin/Letang
MP - sorry, we need to keep the best defender we have and he's still on the young side.

The only reason I’d keep Jarry is because Blomqvist has played 1/2 season at the AHL and who knows. That said, I have no issues playing him a few games before the deadline to see if Jarry is expendable or not. Jarry is in the same positition as MP, pretty good and still youngish.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/nhl-tra ... blomqvist/

The natural assumption was the potentially available goalie was pending unrestricted free agent Alex Nedeljkovic. However, on his Monday edition of the 32 Thoughts podcast, Friedman expounded on that topic, saying he received a call Sunday morning that opened the door much wider.

“But somebody said that this is not limited to Nedeljkovic, that I think teams have asked about (Tristan) Jarry,” said Friedman on the podcast. “I think teams have asked about (Joel) Blomqvist, who’s their top prospect, who’s played very well in Wilkes-Barre this year. So what I do think there is Pittsburgh has an extra goalie, and they will listen. That is not impossible, that a goalie moves out of Pittsburgh.”
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:35 am https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/nhl-tra ... blomqvist/

The natural assumption was the potentially available goalie was pending unrestricted free agent Alex Nedeljkovic. However, on his Monday edition of the 32 Thoughts podcast, Friedman expounded on that topic, saying he received a call Sunday morning that opened the door much wider.

“But somebody said that this is not limited to Nedeljkovic, that I think teams have asked about (Tristan) Jarry,” said Friedman on the podcast. “I think teams have asked about (Joel) Blomqvist, who’s their top prospect, who’s played very well in Wilkes-Barre this year. So what I do think there is Pittsburgh has an extra goalie, and they will listen. That is not impossible, that a goalie moves out of Pittsburgh.”
Interesting. I haven't seen him play, but I'd be reluctant to my Blomqvist unless it's a ridiculous deal in the Pens' favor. They need to be stockpiling good young players, not trading them.

I'd be ok moving Jarry if it's a good return, and they can sign Nedjelkovic to an extension at a lower price than Jarry. If Blomqvist is the real deal, they could theoretically get goaltending on par with this season for less money next season with a Nedjelkovic/Blomqvist combo. Plus, they'd have whatever assets they get from Jarry.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:11 pm
KG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:35 am https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/nhl-tra ... blomqvist/

Interesting. I haven't seen him play, but I'd be reluctant to my Blomqvist unless it's a ridiculous deal in the Pens' favor. They need to be stockpiling good young players, not trading them.

I'd be ok moving Jarry if it's a good return, and they can sign Nedjelkovic to an extension at a lower price than Jarry. If Blomqvist is the real deal, they could theoretically get goaltending on par with this season for less money next season with a Nedjelkovic/Blomqvist combo. Plus, they'd have whatever assets they get from Jarry.
It just better not be Blomqvist. And, I do not think that is the case. I do believe a team like Edmonton, New Jersey, Carolina, maybe Toronto would be eyeing Jarry. They all need a young, true starter.
Last edited by Pitts on Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:11 pm I'd be ok moving Jarry if it's a good return, and they can sign Nedjelkovic to an extension at a lower price than Jarry. If Blomqvist is the real deal, they could theoretically get goaltending on par with this season for less money next season with a Nedjelkovic/Blomqvist combo. Plus, they'd have whatever assets they get from Jarry.
Yes. The one thing I didn't like about Jarry's new contract is the term, and if the Pens are going to suck for a few years, better for them to move Jarry for assets who can help down the road, and go with Ned and Blomqvist. Or maybe they could even convince Fleury to come home for a year and help train Blomqvist.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Keep:
Crosby/Malkin/Letang

MP would be close to the top of my list to move. Talk about selling high.

MP, Eller, Jake, and either goalie are complete no-brainers. If they can parlay these jokers + some magic around some others where $$ is an issue into 2-3 firsts + some A/B prospects, it'll do wonders for this team moving forward.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

BigMcK wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:08 pm It might be interesting to conduct a poll asking posters for a percentage of chance a current player will be traded before the trade deadline, or if you predict it to occur. It seems that more rumors are popping up with more players to be added each time.

Jake - 80% yes
Graves - 60% no
Eller - 100% yes
Jake - 100% yes
Graves - 90% yes
Eller - 100% yes
Jarry - 25% yes
Ned - 75% yes
EK - 25% yes
Rakell - 10% yes
MP - 60% yes
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Jarry, MP, Rust, Rakell, Jake, Eller, should all be moving for the right price. Those are players they should be actively shopping. You give me 1st+ for Jarry Jake and MP... gone. A second or third for Eller, a 2nd+ or even a 1st for Rust, and well, who knows what for Rakell and I think they should all move.

I don't think you could move EK without losing that trade and we need to be winning trades now, not taking losses to make a short term push. I'm also 100 percent that his problem is the garbage coach and not the Norris winning, over a decade of experience, 1 season removed from an offensive achievement not seen in 30 years, most offensively gifted D man of this generation.

I also don't want to move Graves before you dump the staff which means apparently he has to play out his whole contract here.

I would love to see Malkin move but there is about a 0 percent chance of that. Should have moved him years ago, shouldn't have resigned him... was painfully obvious to those of us who apparently watch this game which must not include the management of this organization. He's stuck here now on his Carteresque 35+ contract. People think he looks old, lazy and disinterested NOW... oh boy wait another year or two.

I disagree with the idea of moving 87...unless he asks for it. I'm not a believer in one guy taking precedence over the team and I'm not saying he should but if anyone has earned the right to decide where and how he finishes his career, it's 87. The idea of moving him without his desire to be moved is **** ludicrous. You can rebuild around him and him staying on the ice is never going to negatively impact this team. His effort, commitment, skill and dedication is beyond question and even when he slows down, he's still a special talent that should get to choose his future, if for nothing other than the countless things he has brought to this organization. We can manage to let one of the greatest 10, if not 5 players ever to play the game decide if he wants to finish his beyond illustrious career here with this team. The suggestion otherwise is beyond comically insane.
Last edited by Antonio on Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:13 am

Keep:
Crosby/Malkin/Letang

The only reason I’d keep Jarry is because Blomqvist has played 1/2 season at the AHL and who knows. That said, I have no issues playing him a few games before the deadline to see if Jarry is expendable or not. Jarry is in the same positition as MP, pretty good and still youngish.
The initial line of think was that Blomqvist would need this year and next year before moving to the NHL level. But, he's drawn rave reviews in his first season in WBS, and he seems to be ahead of schedule.

The best case scenario would be to call him up before the trade deadline, and let him play a few games. But unless you are telling Jarry you are going to move him...you are essentially telling Jarry you are moving him by doing this.

If they got an offer they could not refuse for Jarry, they could bring up Blomqvist and put him with Ned for the rest of the season. If he does well in 5-6 starts the rest of the way, that's your tandem for next year. If he struggles, then maybe you pickup another backup in the offseason for some insurance.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Antonio wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:43 pm Jarry, MP, Rust, Rakell, Jake, Eller, should all be moving for the right price. Those are players they should be actively shopping. You give me 1st+ for Jarry Jake and MP... gone. A second or third for Eller, a 2nd+ or even a 1st for Rust, and well, who knows what for Rakell and I think they should all move.

I don't think you could move EK without losing that trade and we need to be winning trades now, not taking losses to make a short term push. I'm also 100 percent that his problem is the garbage coach and not the Norris winning, over a decade of experience, 1 season removed from an offensive achievement not seen in 30 years, most offensively gifted D man of this generation.

I also don't want to move Graves before you dump the staff which means apparently he has to play out his whole contract here.

I would love to see Malkin move but there is about a 0 percent chance of that. Should have moved him years ago, shouldn't have resigned him... was painfully obvious to those of us who apparently watch this game which must not include the management of this organization. He's stuck here now on his Carteresque 35+ contract. People think he looks old, lazy and disinterested NOW... oh boy wait another year or two.

I disagree with the idea of moving 87...unless he asks for it. I'm not a believer in one guy taking precedence over the team and I'm not saying he should but if anyone has earned the right to decide where and how he finishes his career, it's 87. The idea of moving him without his desire to be mixed is **** ludicrous. You can rebuild around him and him staying on the ice is never going to negatively impact this team. His effort, commitment, skill and dedication is beyond question and even when he slows down, he's still a special talent that should get to choose his future, if for nothing other than the countless things he has brought to this organization. We can manage to let one of the greatest 10, if not 5 players ever to play the game decide if he wants to finish his beyond illustrious career here with this team. The suggestion otherwise is beyond comically insane.
Well said...EK is an interesting one for sure. I'm not sure, however, that they can't win the trade. I was adamantly against bringing him in here, but seeing what we were able to get off the books, I felt we won that trade hands down. At this point, I personally don't mind keeping him, but if they can somehow stockpile some futures/prospects in exchange for some salary retention, I'm personally all for it. Even if it's taking on a **** contract or two for a year + to bring in futures I think it makes sense. If he's on the team next year I think that's fine too at this point. Unlike some others, there's no urgency to move him this season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If the Pens really wanted to replenish the cupboards, they could easily get 3 1st picks (plus younger players) for Jake, Jarry and MP. 1st round picks are great, but you have to hit on them. Something the Pens don't have a great history of, although we do have a new front office.

Look at a team like Dallas. They've drafted amazing over the last few years, without having high first round picks.

Oetinnger 26th overall
Robertson 2nd round 39th overall
Hintz 2nd round 49th overall
Wyatt Johnson 23rd overall

And they have a really good prospect pool as well.

This is what the Pens need. You can't build a team through trades and free agents solely. We need youth, talent and entry level contracts to start hitting. Hopefully Dubas makes the scouting/drafting part of the team a big initiative to improve.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

My buddy in Vancouver doesn't think they will give up a haul for Jake. At least in his opinion, the injury is a concern. The offers he was putting out there (and he's usually pretty fair) were absolutely nothing of value besides the 1st, IMO.

However today, he wondered if Reilly Smith + our 2025 3rd rounder for Ilya Mikheyev + 2025 2nd would be a decent trade. Mikheyev is 4.75M AAV and signed for 2 more years, versus Smith @ 5M for one more year. Mikheyev has 1 more assist than Smith, otherwise their numbers are identical.

Would you take that deal? Essentially swapping Smith for Mikheyev, and swapping a 3rd for a 2nd. Seems fair to me. Worst case, you look to move Mikheyev over the summer or into next year if he isn't fitting in.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:16 pm My buddy in Vancouver doesn't think they will give up a haul for Jake. At least in his opinion, the injury is a concern. The offers he was putting out there (and he's usually pretty fair) were absolutely nothing of value besides the 1st, IMO.

However today, he wondered if Reilly Smith + our 2025 3rd rounder for Ilya Mikheyev + 2025 2nd would be a decent trade. Mikheyev is 4.75M AAV and signed for 2 more years, versus Smith @ 5M for one more year. Mikheyev has 1 more assist than Smith, otherwise their numbers are identical.

Would you take that deal? Essentially swapping Smith for Mikheyev, and swapping a 3rd for a 2nd. Seems fair to me. Worst case, you look to move Mikheyev over the summer or into next year if he isn't fitting in.
I was thinking of Mikheyev, fellow Russian for Geno as well and Dubas knows him. I would prefer to deal Smith to a team with cap space for a pick though, and have the cap room for this summer. If they can't move him for a pick then yes, a hockey trade makes sense.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Mikheyev swap for Smith would be ok, especially for Geno, also bigger player than Smith, we are smallish team..

Regarding goalies, I hope they arent that stupid to trade away Blomquist..
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:40 pm
BigMcK wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:08 pm It might be interesting to conduct a poll asking posters for a percentage of chance a current player will be traded before the trade deadline, or if you predict it to occur. It seems that more rumors are popping up with more players to be added each time.

Jake - 80% yes
Graves - 60% no
Eller - 100% yes
Jake - 100% yes
Graves - 90% yes
Eller - 100% yes
Jarry - 25% yes
Ned - 75% yes
EK - 25% yes
Rakell - 10% yes
MP - 60% yes
No one - 100%. After the UFA additions/failures and the current standing of the Pens, KD will be hesitant to make changes.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Josh Getzoff
@JG_PxP
#Pens HCMS:
- Bryan Rust is out week-to-week
- Tristan Jarry starts against Vancouver
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Tonight is going to be ugly I fear…….
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens with scouts at the Kings game tonight. Think that's 2 games in a row Pens have scouted the Kings.

Or it could be the Pens are on the same western Canada trip the Kings are on and are playing both the Oilers and Flames soon :)
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

KG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:55 pm Pens with scouts at the Kings game tonight. Think that's 2 games in a row Pens have scouted the Kings.

Or it could be the Pens are on the same western Canada trip the Kings are on and are playing both the Oilers and Flames soon :)
Kings need goal tending and could use some more experience and scoring up front.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I would not be surprised to see Carter go to LA with 50% retained for essentially nothing, like a conditional 6th if Carter resigns with LA if we actually need something coming back. At least that frees up cap space and a roster spot for two players to stay up if everyone is healthy.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

DelPen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:22 pm I would not be surprised to see Carter go to LA with 50% retained for essentially nothing, like a conditional 6th if Carter resigns with LA if we actually need something coming back. At least that frees up cap space and a roster spot for two players to stay up if everyone is healthy.
YES! Please! SELL SELL SELL SELL!!!! Sell everyone you can. Ned, Jarry, Jake, Richard, Tanger, Rusty, MP,EK…..let the Sage Mike Sullivan build another dynasty since we are gonna keep him and he can’t do it with these players or adding 100 point scorers during the off season to supplement them. Nah, we better start over with HCMS! :fist:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:55 pm Pens with scouts at the Kings game tonight. Think that's 2 games in a row Pens have scouted the Kings.

Nah, it's for scouting purposes. Typically during the season, a scout may blow through a week or two ahead of a game against an opponent, just to get some game intel for their future matchup.

Penguins don't play LA again this season, so no other reason to be there. LA was considered a dark horse for Guentzel at one point.