What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by Dynasty1970 »

BurghThing wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:21 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:09 pm I agree.. Rakell maybe small chance he is moved,if he has wish for change of scenery,but otherwise I think he stays.
Good, wouldn't want to lose his production :roll:
Well, I have got to believe that this is partly, (I would like to believe mostly) the Sully factor. His production has fallen way off, just like EK….i blame Sully, that is why I hate trading past good players if we are going to keep Sully. Another reason to remove Sully before trading players.mmi think GMKD has made a big mistake being so loyal to HCMS. :face:
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Rakell has looked much better with Crosby.

This team needs to figure out what to do with Malkin
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Can’t believe how much Malkin has fallen off. Hard to imagine it is his skill. It’s his effort. And that is troubling. He could play with Crosby and Rust and if his effort still
Sucks it wouldn’t matter
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

I voted a while back that Jake would be traded. Nix that. I think KD is going to use the “bandaid” approach. He’s going to try and find AHL guys with “potential” or pick up someone on the waiver wire that may stick so MS can discard them after a few games, you know the names. I really think KD is afraid to make a big trade.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Wyopen wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:46 am I voted a while back that Jake would be traded. Nix that. I think KD is going to use the “bandaid” approach. He’s going to try and find AHL guys with “potential” or pick up someone on the waiver wire that may stick so MS can discard them after a few games, you know the names. I really think KD is afraid to make a big trade.
I'm not absolving him, but, I think he was brutally honest in his press conference last week...he tried and exhausted pretty much all trade paths he was willing to make, in order to shake up the team.

It's still a tight cap world, and, even with the increase coming next year, there are teams that need to sign some big name players, sucking up all that future cap already. That is making it near impossible to trade a guy like Rust or Rakell or Graves, that have 3-5 years left on their contract. Teams just don't have the space this year or the future space. Add in that most of our players are mid-30s, and that's even less attractive in terms of getting players that can help today instead of future picks and prospects.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Good article from Seravalli regarding Jake. Cliff notes:

--Daily Faceoff ranked Jake the 6th best shooter in the league. Noted that with respect to Kunitz and Dupuis, Guentzel is clearly the best winger Crosby has had during his career.
--States Jake is an elite complimentary player that instantly impacts a contenders first line and first PP unit
--States that while some may think Jakes numbers are inflated because of Crosby, Crosby is not "easy to play with" and this speaks to Jake's intelligence and adaptability.
--Only 5 players in the league have a higher expected goal rate
-- He's in the top 10% of the league in terms of times with bursts of speed above certain top thresholds
--Says he's not great defensively, but not poor. Similar conversation around possession metrics
--Concussion history and current injury could also be of a concern.

Teams he lists as possibly interested: Arizona, Carolina, Colorado, Detroit, Edmonton, Florida, Rangers, Canucks, Vegas. Quick summary:
--Arizona: Guentzel's dad is a pro scout for Arizona. While they aren't a playoff team, this may be their one chance to snag an elite sniper. They have the draft capital and young players to make the move.
--Carolina: Canes have been missing a stone-cold playoff sniper. That's Guentzel, and they should have the space to re-sign him.
--Colorado: Really need a 2C, but with Nichuskin and Landeskog status unclear, they need more difference makers.
--Detroit: They are in a playoff spot. Will Yzerman make a splash? They have the room to sign an extension
--Edmonton: checks a lot of boxes for them
--Florida: They have the least amount of assets to spend. Mentions no #1 until 2026.
--Rangers: Targeting a center, but Wheeler is out, and Chris Drury targeted Kane and Tarasenko last year.
--Cancucks: He's a Penguin, so there is a connection. Already added Lindholm. This could put them over the top.
--Vegas: They were in the market before Stone's injury. They will be aggressive.

Comparable past trades:

Ottawa trades Matt Duchene and Julius Bergman to Columbus for 2019 1st, 2020 1st, Vitaly Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson

Canucks trade Horvat with 50% retained to Islanders for 2023 1st, Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/snipe ... um=twitter
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BfromD »

Thanks for sharing that. In addition to all of the points about Jake being talked about and rightfully debated, the cherry on top is him being a proven playoff performer. Jake is one of 40 players in the history of the league with 1.0+ PPG in the playoffs (of which 11 are active players):
https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records ... aders.html

The counter argument to the "his numbers are inflated because of Crosby" is that all serious SC contenders have elite player(s) - otherwise they wouldn't be SC contenders... No reason to believe that Jake wouldn't perform as he has over his career, especially in the playoffs, following a trade to a team where he'd line up with great linemates.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:56 pm Good article from Seravalli regarding Jake. Cliff notes:

--Daily Faceoff ranked Jake the 6th best shooter in the league. Noted that with respect to Kunitz and Dupuis, Guentzel is clearly the best winger Crosby has had during his career.
--States Jake is an elite complimentary player that instantly impacts a contenders first line and first PP unit
--States that while some may think Jakes numbers are inflated because of Crosby, Crosby is not "easy to play with" and this speaks to Jake's intelligence and adaptability.
-- He's in the top 10% of the league in terms of times with bursts of speed above certain top thresholds
--Says he's not great defensively, but not poor. Similar conversation around possession metrics

Teams he lists as possibly interested: Arizona, Carolina, Colorado, Detroit, Edmonton, Florida, Rangers, Canucks, Vegas. Quick summary:
--Arizona: Guentzel's dad is a pro scout for Arizona. While they aren't a playoff team, this may be their one chance to snag an elite sniper. They have the draft capital and young players to make the move.
--Carolina: Canes have been missing a stone-cold playoff sniper. That's Guentzel, and they should have the space to re-sign him.
--Colorado: Really need a 2C, but with Nichuskin and Landeskog status unclear, they need more difference makers.
--Detroit: They are in a playoff spot. Will Yzerman make a splash? They have the room to sign an extension
--Florida: They have the least amount of assets to spend. Mentions no #1 until 2026.
--Rangers: Targeting a center, but Wheeler is out, and Chris Drury targeted Kane and Tarasenko last year.
--Cancucks: He's a Penguin, so there is a connection. Already added Lindholm. This could put them over the top.
--Vegas: They were in the market before Stone's injury. They will be aggressive.

Comparable past trades:

Ottawa trades Matt Duchene and Julius Bergman to Columbus for 2019 1st, 2020 1st, Vitaly Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson

Canucks trade Horvat with 50% retained to Islanders for 2023 1st, Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty

Interesting thought on Arizona. I wonder if Jake would really want to go play and sign there though. That's the key to the deal clearly. Arizona can basically get anyone they want with all the young players and picks they have.

I just hope Dubas does the right thing and sells him to the highest bidder and not lose him to free agency.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:50 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:56 pm Good article from Seravalli regarding Jake. Cliff notes:

Comparable past trades:

Interesting thought on Arizona. I wonder if Jake would really want to go play and sign there though. That's the key to the deal clearly. Arizona can basically get anyone they want with all the young players and picks they have.

I just hope Dubas does the right thing and sells him to the highest bidder and not lose him to free agency.
Imagine getting Cooley, Lamoureux, and a first for Jake?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Uuugh, I hope Jake isnt traded to Arizona, poor guy :lol: but if it happens - Crouse (still only 26, new LW for Sid), Cooley (doubt it) and couple of picks would be :thumb:

btw. -- who is Lamoureux?
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Jake was back on the ice yesterday for individual workout. Rust stayed home.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:17 am Uuugh, I hope Jake isnt traded to Arizona, poor guy :lol: but if it happens - Crouse (still only 26, new LW for Sid), Cooley (doubt it) and couple of picks would be :thumb:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/maveric-lamoureux
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Comparable past trades:

He better not stay in the East. Maybe Carolina as I have such a hard time hating on that team. But, F the Rangers! Send Jake out west.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:25 am
Pens4Life wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:17 am Uuugh, I hope Jake isnt traded to Arizona, poor guy :lol: but if it happens - Crouse (still only 26, new LW for Sid), Cooley (doubt it) and couple of picks would be :thumb:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/maveric-lamoureux
Thanx...I was checking Eliteprospects and didnt show me Maverick under top 20 searches under Lamoureux
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Pitts wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:04 am

Comparable past trades:

He better not stay in the East. Maybe Carolina as I have such a hard time hating on that team. But, F the Rangers! Send Jake out west.
I can't believe trading Jake in division would go over well in the locker room or with fans at large. What an ugly sight that would be.
Send him west, hope he resigns - that's why sending somewhere without state tax (hello Vegas.... hello Dallas) would be ideal. Easier for them to extend him. 8 years + no state tax? Yum yum.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Jake to Seattle for McCann + others.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

penny lane wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:21 pm Jake to Seattle for McCann + others.
:D Better fire Sullivan if that's the case. And I'm OK with that...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sekeres and Price
@sekeresandprice
@irfgaffar
on the #Canucks eyeing Jake Guentzel:

"It's being reported it's multiple 1st-round picks, or is it [picks] + a player...a guy like Nils Höglander...the Canucks are still very much so in the mix there." #LetsGoPens

Last edited by KG on Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:22 pm Sekeres and Price
@sekeresandprice
@irfgaffar

"It's being reported it's multiple 1st-round picks, or is it [picks] + a player...a guy like Nils Höglander...the Canucks are still very much so in the mix there." #LetsGoPens
If true, Dubas will be playing that offer off of Edmonton, Colorado, LA, Vegas, etc. - make them all sweat and over pay. We all know how Rutherford likes to go for what he wants. He will help drive up the price.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Well if ESPN had it way, it would be a 1st 2nd and a 3rd with the 1st in 2026. This is why ESPN remains trash.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:26 pm
KG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:22 pm Sekeres and Price
@sekeresandprice
@irfgaffar

If true, Dubas will be playing that offer off of Edmonton, Colorado, LA, Vegas, etc. - make them all sweat and over pay. We all know how Rutherford likes to go for what he wants. He will help drive up the price.
If Dubas accepted multiple firsts only for Jake, then he should be holding a fire sale. This is kind of what I'm hoping for right now at our trade deadline:

1) Smith + 2025 3rd to VAN for Mikheyev + 2025 2nd
2) Nedeljkovic to COL for 2025 3rd
3) Guentzel (50% retained) to EDM for 2025 1st, 2026 3rd (for retention), Dylan Holloway and Raphael Lavoie

In terms of picks over the next 3 drafts, Penguins would (hopefully) have:
--2024 1st round(lottery), 2nd round
--2025 1st round from EDM, 2nd round (VAN), 2025 3rd (COL)
--2026 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round (PIT) and 3rd round (EDM)

To finish the season up front:

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Holloway-Malkin-Mikheyev
Bemstrom/DOC-Eller-Puustinen/Puljujarvi
Harkins-Acciari-Carter
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Seeing how valuable Jake is this deadline makes me wish we would have dealt Zucker last year. I know it wouldn’t be as much but maybe a first. I hope Dubas doesn’t make the same mistake. We need to deal Jake at the deadline.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:04 pm Seeing how valuable Jake is this deadline makes me wish we would have dealt Zucker last year. I know it wouldn’t be as much but maybe a first. I hope Dubas doesn’t make the same mistake. We need to deal Jake at the deadline.
Yeah, last season was strange. The Granlund trade, I guess made them buyers, but we didn't have a plan under Hextall. Looking back, yes we should have traded Zucker and Dumoulin for futures.

Hopefully KD can pull a few rabbits out of his hat this deadline and begin the re-tool.

I also think Vancouver could offer us a great return for Jake. They have a legit prospect in Lekkerimiki, and Hoglander who is young, we could take back Mikheyev to help make the deal as well. That's a rich package and one that Vancouver would only do if they could re-sign Jake.

We'll see what happens in a little more than a week...or sooner!
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

KG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:42 pmwe didn't have a plan under Hextall.
He didn't write it down, but Hextall had a plan in his head. :pop:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:42 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:04 pm Seeing how valuable Jake is this deadline makes me wish we would have dealt Zucker last year. I know it wouldn’t be as much but maybe a first. I hope Dubas doesn’t make the same mistake. We need to deal Jake at the deadline.
Yeah, last season was strange. The Granlund trade, I guess made them buyers, but we didn't have a plan under Hextall. Looking back, yes we should have traded Zucker and Dumoulin for futures.

Hopefully KD can pull a few rabbits out of his hat this deadline and begin the re-tool.

I also think Vancouver could offer us a great return for Jake. They have a legit prospect in Lekkerimiki, and Hoglander who is young, we could take back Mikheyev to help make the deal as well. That's a rich package and one that Vancouver would only do if they could re-sign Jake.

We'll see what happens in a little more than a week...or sooner!
I'm hoping Dubas has an internal deadline of "sign an extension with Jake" or start evaluating the trade proposals. If I were GM, I'd probably have that deadline set as midnight Sunday, March 3rd...giving me a few days to open up trade talks and possible extension talks. If he takes it all the way to Wednesday or Thursday next week, that may cause problems trying to get more via an extension approved.

If we trade Jake, I think a young center with top 6 potential should be the focus if this team still wants to try and compete the next 1-2 years. Move Malkin to wing, and let someone else drive the 2nd line train. My targets would be Dylan Holloway or Ryan McLeod of Edmonton, or Alex Turcotte of LA.
Holloway has the most upside of the 3, IMO. Ryan McLeod is the most established today and would be a solid 3C at least. Turcotte hasn't really shown what he is capable of as a #5 overall pick, and would likely have a high risk/reward.