Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by BONVIE »

Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

“Everybody was excited coming in today,” Erik Karlsson said. “We’re excited to move forward. We know what we have in here. We need to find that little spark.”
A little spark? How about a freakin' bon fire? I can't believe that they are acting like business as usual. Like there's hardly anything wrong. That's a sad state of affairs. If the ceremony couldn't spark them on Sunday, nothing will. Sure seems like there's something seriously wrong with the culture in that locker room. When you look at the people on the roster, there isn't anyone that's an outspoken team leader. Sid only does by example. I know I'm not in there seeing how they engage with one another, but you can pretty much tell that they don't have anyone with that type of kick ass personality. They need a Billy Guerin type. I realize that Billy was a bit old school and they don't grow on trees, but there are guys out there in the league that are out spoken more than others. I think Tocchet kind of filled that role when he was on Sully's staff, even though he wasn't a player. anymore. I think he still garnered respect. These guys need kicked in the arse and probably on a regular basis.
Last edited by Badger Bob on Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:22 pm
“Everybody was excited coming in today,” Erik Karlsson said. “We’re excited to move forward. We know what we have in here. We need to find that little spark.”
A little spark? How about a freakin' bon fire? I can't believe that they are acting like business as usual. Like there's hardly anything wrong. That's a sad state of affairs. If the ceremony couldn't spark them on Sunday, nothing will. Sure seems like there's something seriously wrong with the culture in that locker room.
Well, look at the last few years, each year they thought things would change yet it stayed the same. Yesterday was another example. Lack of scoring, PP wasn’t anything even with 87’s goal. A third period meltdown, and another wasted goaltending effort. You hold any team in this league to 2 goals and this team should be winning. Face it, we are old and tired. It may not be on the players, Father Time has finally caught up to them. They are the oldest team in the league…they are not a fine wine. It’s pretty disappointing where we are at the moment. I just don’t see a retool as the answer. Need a complete rebuild, all new coaching staff. We need to get some real scouts. There isn’t anything with this team that is performing good these last few years. There isn’t another Jagr in our cupboard.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

I get that players want to be positive and not say things to create waves but “everybody was excited coming in today" is NOT what people want to hear right now. Its either a lie or that person is way out of touch with whats going on. I'm sick of the "We believe in the players in our room" and "we're a proud team" comments. To me that says "We don't think we need to change or listen to the critics" when the critics have every reason to criticize them. I have no confidence in this team making the playoffs at this point and big changes have to be made if they are going to change that for next season. The entire coaching staff needs to go. A Karlsson trade needs to be explored. That move has not worked. Rackell, Smith need to go. They need to get something for Jake. The stubbornness of the coach and players borders on the delusional.
Last edited by Sams_Dog on Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Well said.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Mike Sullivan:
Coach Sullivan on the newest member of the Penguins, Matthew Phillips: "He's a top-ten scorer in the minors. He's averaging 35-plus goals in the last couple of seasons. I think he's a brave guy the way he plays the game. He's willing to go to the battle areas, even though he's undersized. I think he's real elusive in a tight space. He gets underneath people. He's quick. So, I think he has the ability to help us offensively and generate some offense. I know that's one of the reasons why we acquired him, and we're going to give him an opportunity to do so."
My Cousin Vinny:
Everything That Guy Just Said Is ****. Thank you.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

I'm not sure how you get value for Karlsson if you try to trade him less than a year after trading for him. That's a big, bright red flag that you're negotiating from a position of weakness. Same with Rakell. Smith is probably the only legitimate asset that they can move from a position of strength, since his contract is limited. Before the injury, Jake definitely would have been a valuable asset. I think he still can be, but the injury certainly has to impact the return.

No tradable asset on the blueline is going to return more than a 2-3 rd draft pick.

Goaltending has actually been a strength this year so it would be a mistake to move on from Jarry/Ned.

I hate to be Debby Downer here, but I feel like Dubas' hands are tied. The only thing he can do is make a coaching change, and at this point there's no reason to actually do that before the offseason... unless he decides it's time to tank and get down into the top-10 draft picks, which I'd be fine with. We need a cpl years in the lottery before this aircraft carrier is going to turn around.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

DelPen wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:21 pm Mike Sullivan:
Coach Sullivan on the newest member of the Penguins, Matthew Phillips: "He's a top-ten scorer in the minors. He's averaging 35-plus goals in the last couple of seasons. I think he's a brave guy the way he plays the game. He's willing to go to the battle areas, even though he's undersized. I think he's real elusive in a tight space. He gets underneath people. He's quick. So, I think he has the ability to help us offensively and generate some offense. I know that's one of the reasons why we acquired him, and we're going to give him an opportunity to do so."
My Cousin Vinny:
When Sullivan somehow by miracle isnt Pens coach anymore,he should explore stand up comedian jobs :lol: that s..t about Phillips is funny as hell!? He is trying to recreate Connor Sheary 2.0
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

What is Sullivan supposed to say about Phillips? "Yeah, this little guy is going to be useless for us, but Pulj/Hino/Harkins/Zohorna/etc. all suck just as bad, so might as well throw it against the wall and see if it sticks." Come on, of course he's going to try and build the guy up in the media.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Risto »

Pens4Life wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:33 pm Sad part of this is that Carter isnt a problem this season at all.. he is fine on 4th line
That IS the problem though, isn't it. $3.1 million for a serviceable 4th line plodder. That's not a luxury most teams in the cap era can afford, especially when you don't have any young players stepping up to fill scoring roles.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

DeHaven162 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:10 am What is Sullivan supposed to say about Phillips? "Yeah, this little guy is going to be useless for us, but Pulj/Hino/Harkins/Zohorna/etc. all suck just as bad, so might as well throw it against the wall and see if it sticks." Come on, of course he's going to try and build the guy up in the media.
Yeah, I agree. I don't have high hopes for Phillips. I think there's probably about a 99% chance that he doesn't pan out as a real contributor at the NHL level, but he does have better stats in the AHL than anyone in the Pens system. So, I do think it's worth taking a flyer on him if they're trying to find a much needed offensive spark instead of calling up someone from WBS who has less of an offensive resume.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

FWIW, I live in Charlotte and one of my students (who is a huge Pens fan) just told me that the Pens had a scout at the Checkers game this past weekend.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Tico Rick wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:42 pm FWIW, I live in Charlotte and one of my students (who is a huge Pens fan) just told me that the Pens had a scout at the Checkers game this past weekend.
Also live in Charlotte. I have not been to a Checkers game in a while. They used to have a 1950's night where tickets were $1 and food was .50

Fun times
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

DelPen wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:21 pm Mike Sullivan:
My Cousin Vinny:
If he's soooo good, why did Washington - a team struggling as much as the Pens - waive him? Make it make sense.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I still cannot believe Jake got injured. I wish Dubas had seen the writing on the wall earlier like the rest of us.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:09 pm I still cannot believe Jake got injured. I wish Dubas had seen the writing on the wall earlier like the rest of us.
I still believe it is not going to diminish his trade value. If acquired at the trade deadline, he misses a game or two tops, if his recovery is on track. Part of the reason he cannot play is because he was put on LTIR, so he has to miss 10 games and 24 days. March 10th is day 24 (or 25).

Now, does Dubas move him? That is the question.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:13 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:09 pm I still cannot believe Jake got injured. I wish Dubas had seen the writing on the wall earlier like the rest of us.
I still believe it is not going to diminish his trade value. If acquired at the trade deadline, he misses a game or two tops, if his recovery is on track. Part of the reason he cannot play is because he was put on LTIR, so he has to miss 10 games and 24 days. March 10th is day 24 (or 25).

Now, does Dubas move him? That is the question.
If Dubas does not move Guentzel it would be a colossal mistake. I was firmly in the sell Zucker camp last year not getting assets for Guentzel would be much much worse given where the Pens are in the standings
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Including today, 18 days remain until the trade deadline, March 8.

Will the Penguins secure a playoff spot by then?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

DeHaven162 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:10 am What is Sullivan supposed to say about Phillips? "Yeah, this little guy is going to be useless for us, but Pulj/Hino/Harkins/Zohorna/etc. all suck just as bad, so might as well throw it against the wall and see if it sticks." Come on, of course he's going to try and build the guy up in the media.
How about absolutely nothing? Just because Dubas claimed him doesn’t mean he needs to play him. Either he’s lying about Phillips for some bizarre reason or he actually believes this ****. Again, as in all dual possibility situations now with Sullivan, neither is good and is cause for him to go.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

BigMcK wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:58 pm Including today, 18 days remain until the trade deadline, March 8.

By March 8? No. The is zero chance they will be in a playoff position on March 8.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:59 pm
BigMcK wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:58 pm Including today, 18 days remain until the trade deadline, March 8.

By March 8? No. The is zero chance they will be in a playoff position on March 8.
Also, consider the following:

1) In terms of "win streaks" - the Penguins have won consecutive games only 3 times this season...the 5 game win streak in November, a 3 game win streak in December, and they wone the last game before the ASG and first game after the ASG. THAT'S IT. At no other point in the season have they won 2 or more games in a row. That's absolutely PATHETIC!!!!

2) The Penguins have played 52 games to date. Because of the above #1, there is no portion of the schedule (without using the 5 game or 3 game win streak) where the Penguins have played above .500 hockey over any 10 game stretch. That also, is absolutely PATHETIC!!!

3) There are 9 games left before the trade deadline. They play PHI, EDM, and VAN, then 6 non-playoff teams. If by some miracle of god they actually had an above .500 record in those 9 games, the 9 games after the trade deadline see them play 6 of the next 9 against playoff teams. BOS, EDM, NYR, DAL, DET, and COL. 9 of their next 18 games are on the road, where they are only a .500 hockey team.

4) The Penguins points percentage value is .529. With 30 games remaining, (60 points up for grabs), maintaining that points percentage puts them at only 86 points for the season. Even if by some miracle they managed a .600 points percentage in their last 30 games, that only gets them to 91 points. Again, not likely enough points to get in. Neither is maintaining a .600 points percentage, as only the top 5 teams in the East are doing that (BOS, FLA, TOR, NYR, CAR), while 7 teams in the West are above .600 points percentage.

All 4 of those things above should tell you, just like last year, no magical "flipping the switch" is going to occur. There is tons of evidence that this team is barely an above .500 hockey team. It's been that way all season. It isn't going to suddenly change in 2 weeks before the trade deadline. This team isn't making the playoffs and should be sellers.

This will be Dubas first real big test. He did some good by jettisoning some bad contracts this offseason. I don't have enough inside information to know if the players he acquired were all him and his staff, or strong inputs from Sullivan, because multiple acquisitions (EK65, Graves, Nieto, Acciari) have failed, while only Eller and Nedeljkovic have been very positive.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:25 pm
DelPen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:59 pm

Also, consider the following:

1) In terms of "win streaks" - the Penguins have won consecutive games only 3 times this season...the 5 game win streak in November, a 3 game win streak in December, and they wone the last game before the ASG and first game after the ASG. THAT'S IT. At no other point in the season have they won 2 or more games in a row. That's absolutely PATHETIC!!!!

2) The Penguins have played 52 games to date. Because of the above #1, there is no portion of the schedule (without using the 5 game or 3 game win streak) where the Penguins have played above .500 hockey over any 10 game stretch. That also, is absolutely PATHETIC!!!

3) There are 9 games left before the trade deadline. They play PHI, EDM, and VAN, then 6 non-playoff teams. If by some miracle of god they actually had an above .500 record in those 9 games, the 9 games after the trade deadline see them play 6 of the next 9 against playoff teams. BOS, EDM, NYR, DAL, DET, and COL. 9 of their next 18 games are on the road, where they are only a .500 hockey team.

4) The Penguins points percentage value is .529. With 30 games remaining, (60 points up for grabs), maintaining that points percentage puts them at only 86 points for the season. Even if by some miracle they managed a .600 points percentage in their last 30 games, that only gets them to 91 points. Again, not likely enough points to get in. Neither is maintaining a .600 points percentage, as only the top 5 teams in the East are doing that (BOS, FLA, TOR, NYR, CAR), while 7 teams in the West are above .600 points percentage.

All 4 of those things above should tell you, just like last year, no magical "flipping the switch" is going to occur. There is tons of evidence that this team is barely an above .500 hockey team. It's been that way all season. It isn't going to suddenly change in 2 weeks before the trade deadline. This team isn't making the playoffs and should be sellers.

This will be Dubas first real big test. He did some good by jettisoning some bad contracts this offseason. I don't have enough inside information to know if the players he acquired were all him and his staff, or strong inputs from Sullivan, because multiple acquisitions (EK65, Graves, Nieto, Acciari) have failed, while only Eller and Nedeljkovic have been very positive.
Penguins are Sellers. Will ownership say the same thing? Probably not.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Kingerski has an article up talking about how LeBrun was on TSN saying that KD is listening to any player not named Sid, Geno and Letang. Also said Smith is drawing interest around the league because of his Stanley Cup pedigree.

I really hope KD does a big retool by and at the deadline and cans Sully in the offseason.

Danny Shirey has an article up calling for Sully’s head too.

Every coach has a shelf life. Sully has expired here.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I still don't get the company narrative that there's no way Sully gets canned during this season. Maybe they figure the team is headed for a top 10 pick and are worried a change will lead to a push that puts them at 11. Who knows?