Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pitts »

DelPen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:45 am Did I see Poulin is hurt again? If Jake is out then Pusstinen has to be recalled. Frankly he should be up anyways even if on the 4th line.
I do not think they have any cap space unless Jake ends up on LTIR. That will be a few days before we know that I think.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:45 pm
DelPen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:45 am Did I see Poulin is hurt again? If Jake is out then Pusstinen has to be recalled. Frankly he should be up anyways even if on the 4th line.
I do not think they have any cap space unless Jake ends up on LTIR. That will be a few days before we know that I think.
They played yesterday with 11F, 7D. That qualifies as playing 1 game short of a full lineup (either not being able to dress 12F or 6D qualifies), so they should be able to call someone up today under emergency recall rules (anyone under 1M cap hit can be recalled). If Jake is out, I don't know if they can immediately recall 2 players under emergency recall, or if they must play ANOTHER game short to use another emergency recall.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Pitts wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:45 pm
An xray should show a broken hand or not right now which means LTIR effective now if it is because I don’t see how he’s back from that before the time limit needed to go on LTIR and even if it’s a few extra days or games we need people now to fill a roster that it has to be done especially for the west coast trip coming up.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Bedard is playing tonight...If we lose this game, leave Sully in Chicago.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:00 pm Bedard is playing tonight...If we lose this game, leave Sully in Chicago.
They were the worst team in the league last season with no Bedard and the Pens needed only a win to get in the playoffs and lost to them. I am not super excited about our chances with Bedard in the lineup.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

So, another day, no trades ...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:12 pm So, another day, no trades ...
Not even no trades, I'm dumbfounded that apparently no WBS emergency recalls have occurred. So does that mean Jake is playing through injury, and one of Acciari or Harkins is returning? Because if no Jake, and no return of Harkins or Acciari, we'll now be going 10F 7D.

Sullivan speaks at 6:30pm.

Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:09 pm
Not even no trades, I'm dumbfounded that apparently no WBS emergency recalls have occurred. So does that mean Jake is playing through injury, and one of Acciari or Harkins is returning? Because if no Jake, and no return of Harkins or Acciari, we'll now be going 10F 7D.

Or they haven’t announced a recall that has already been made. If you trust Yohe (and you shouldn’t necessarily lol), Jake is going to be out for a bit.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ericf wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:20 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:09 pm

Or they haven’t announced a recall that has already been made. If you trust Yohe (and you shouldn’t necessarily lol), Jake is going to be out for a bit.
Would be quite odd for neither NHL team or WBS to announce a recall with just over 2 hours until puck drop. Not out of the question, but something like that would typically be announced by now. Would guess Puustinen would be one (if Jake is out), Zohorna or Gruden would be the 2nd recall.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

There is is. Jake out for a month...

Last edited by KG on Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Jake out 4 weeks...Puustinen, Hinostroza, and Gruden recalled. Jake expected back early March. There should be ZERO reason now to keep Guentzel. If a team knows he'll return even a week after the deadline, he'll still keep his value.

The Penguins aren't catching anyone without him, and the even worse case scenario would be dumping more resources into trying to replace him, like a 1st rounder, etc.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:48 pm Jake out 4 weeks...Puustinen, Hinostroza, and Gruden recalled. Jake expected back early March. There should be ZERO reason now to keep Guentzel. If a team knows he'll return even a week after the deadline, he'll still keep his value.

The Penguins aren't catching anyone without him, and the even worse case scenario would be dumping more resources into trying to replace him, like a 1st rounder, etc.
Thinking we've seen the last of Jake in a Pens uniform....Or we'll sign him for 8 years $80 million on July 1! :D
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:49 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:48 pm Jake out 4 weeks...Puustinen, Hinostroza, and Gruden recalled. Jake expected back early March. There should be ZERO reason now to keep Guentzel. If a team knows he'll return even a week after the deadline, he'll still keep his value.

Thinking we've seen the last of Jake in a Pens uniform....Or we'll sign him for 8 years $80 million on July 1! :D

Can Jake be traded while on IR?
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Anybody can be traded on IR.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sullivan has the built-in excuse to come back next season with the Jake injury. Now they aren't supposed to win. Last season the excuse was Hextall, year before that was Jarry/DeSmith were injured in the playoffs, year before that Jarry was bad in the playoffs, year before that was the bubble so that didn't count in real life...
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Three Stars wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:02 pm Anybody can be traded on IR.
Yeah, but we were reading 1st and prospect, now it might not even be that for a return. In all fairness, I don't think KD was going to trade him since this franchise is in serious denial so the injury really just helps SJ get a better 1st round pick, or the Penguins a lottery pick.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

It does say "up to" 4 weeks. So hopefully he is back before that obviously, in case they decide to move him.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:11 pm
Yeah, but we were reading 1st and prospect, now it might not even be that for a return. In all fairness, I don't think KD was going to trade him since this franchise is in serious denial so the injury really just helps SJ get a better 1st round pick, or the Penguins a lottery pick.
I don't think it will hurt his value, depending on where he would go. It might lessen the suitors...maybe. A team firmly in the playoffs may not care if Jake misses a week after acquisition. A team chasing a spot or barely in may not want to spend the assets if he's going to miss 3-4 games on new team, potentially.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Who is Sid's LW now? My guess Smith, his last chance to make it or break it here.. lines reshuffled as they arent scoring anyway!?

Smith - Crosby - Rust
Rakell - Malkin - Puustinen
DOC - Eller - Puljujarvi
Gruden - White - Carter
x - Hinostroza
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

KG wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:26 pm It does say "up to" 4 weeks. So hopefully he is back before that obviously, in case they decide to move him.
He can’t be back before March 10, two days past the deadline. He was placed on LTIR
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:45 pm
Daniel wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:11 pm
I don't think it will hurt his value, depending on where he would go. It might lessen the suitors...maybe. A team firmly in the playoffs may not care if Jake misses a week after acquisition. A team chasing a spot or barely in may not want to spend the assets if he's going to miss 3-4 games on new team, potentially.
That's my thought process, less teams might want him which will drive the value down. A team chasing the playoff spot such as Detroit would be more desperate than maybe Nashville or Minnesota since it's been awhile since they've made it. Because of that they might grossly overpay for a healthy Jake but might not risk it for an injured one, since his help will be limited in the regular season. I don't think it'll make a huge difference overall, but it will impact the trade (if one is even attempted).
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DK again doubled down on his podcast this morning that the Pens plan and goal is to sign Jake...

If that is the case then the off-season plan needs to find Geno a legitimate competent wing, or even someone that can also play center and take draws for Geno. It's silly that there are games that Geno has to play with DOC and Pulujujarvi for example. Not good enough.

Get him someone who is a threat to score and develop chemistry with.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

At this point I think we need to look into finding a legitimate competent 2C instead of talking about a wing for an aging star who is and has been clearly in decline in both his physical abilities and interest levels.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Antonio wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:28 am At this point I think we need to look into finding a legitimate competent 2C instead of talking about a wing for an aging star who is and has been clearly in decline in both his physical abilities and interest levels.
I agree, and I think unfortunately you aren't going to get one without giving up Guentzel.

Don't know if NY would do it, but I'd roll the dice on something around a Guentzel for Chytil swap.
Or something around Guentzel for Logan Cooley or Barret Hayton from Arizona.

But I don't see any way to get a decent, young 2C without giving up Jake, either directly or getting pieces for Jake that are flipped for a 2C.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Not excusing his overall play, but all of Geno's advanced metrics show him still playing at top-notch levels. In fact his defensive numbers are better than they've ever been. He has absolutely ZERO finishing on his line whatsoever. He's constantly anchored by two stiffs on his wings. When Reilly Smith decided to show up for work for the first month of the season, Geno's passes were converted into goals and better statistics. He hasn't had any consistency on his wings save for that first month with Smith.

And let's not forget the few games where he had to center DOC and Colin freakin White. And then people wonder: "Gee, why is Geno playing so bad?" I agree that they need more from him - but he's very low on their reasons for failure this season. Aging stars like 71 and 87 need to be surrounded by complementary scorers that can support them and not constantly rely on them for EVERYTHING. It's really really poor roster construction top to bottom - as simple as that. They went out and spent money on a bunch of ham n eggers like Acciari, Nieto, White, Eller (to an extent). And with any glimmer of hope that they might bring in someone for 71 to play with, all the remaining money goes to Ryan Graves - the ultimate defensive blackhole.