What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by pens_CT »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:54 am The Giroux trade was underwhelming. I hope Dubas does better than that.
Giroux was what 34 when the trade was made? Jake is obviously younger, but if the acquiring team only views him as a rental then the return isn't going to be great. Obviously better than losing him for zero to free agency.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

pens_CT wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:26 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:54 am The Giroux trade was underwhelming. I hope Dubas does better than that.
Giroux was what 34 when the trade was made? Jake is obviously younger, but if the acquiring team only views him as a rental then the return isn't going to be great. Obviously better than losing him for zero to free agency.
Giroux handpicked going to Florida too which limited the return. Here with Jake we would have multiple offers.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:57 am
Tippett is a pretty good player. Dubas is probably looking to get someone cheaper and younger who can slot right in, along with a first. I agree we should go with quality over quantity in any Jake trade.
Yeah, I know that ship has almost certainly sailed, but I wouldn't have minded the Hoglander + trade proposals floated for a Guentzel trade to Vancouver. Hoglander is certainly not the same caliber of player as Guentzel, but he seems to be a solid middle-6 winger who can put up ~20 goals and ~40 points, and he's 23. If we can get a player like that plus a 1st, I'd be ok with that. I wouldn't insist on 3 pieces coming back, if they're underwhelming pieces.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Well honestly, given that so far KD has been insanely unwilling to make what are very clear and obvious necessary changes to the coaching staff, I have zero reason to believe he will make appropriate moves with Jake. It's still been a short time for him overall, but so far I'm getting the feeling that he is able and willing to make moves in an off-season when he has all the time in the world to mull it over but seems afraid to make bold moves during the season, which in this case will likely be fatal with regards to getting value for Jake.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

From Dejan today:

• If this thing goes -- OK, keeps going -- south, it won't be Jake Guentzel that's sent out. That's my understanding. There are plenty of other players who can be moved, even it's for the principal purpose of clearing cap space as opposed to hard hockey returns.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:31 pm From Dejan today:

• If this thing goes -- OK, keeps going -- south, it won't be Jake Guentzel that's sent out. That's my understanding. There are plenty of other players who can be moved, even it's for the principal purpose of clearing cap space as opposed to hard hockey returns.
He’s missing the point. It’s not that the Pens want to trade Jake, we all know he’s not the problem here. But what if Jake doesn’t want to re-sign here? That’s the question that needs to be asked and answered.

And color me a skeptic, but I don’t see teams banging down the teams door for Rakell and Smith.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:55 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:31 pm From Dejan today:

He’s missing the point. It’s not that the Pens want to trade Jake, we all know he’s not the problem here. But what if Jake doesn’t want to re-sign here? That’s the question that needs to be asked and answered.

And color me a skeptic, but I don’t see teams banging down the teams door for Rakell and Smith.
Smith, maybe with only 1 year left on his term. Rakell...that's gonna be a hard sell to get decent value from most teams. His term is too long for what he is showing this year.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Maybe a week or so ago when Yohe was on with Madden, they were talking about other guys who could be moved if the Pens fell out of the playoff picture. Yohe mentioned Eller, Smith, and Joseph. Eller is kind of obvious, since he's playing well, and contenders always like to have good depth at center for a long playoff run. He thought Smith still had a good enough track record that contenders would overlook this season and have some interest. The most surprising was Joseph, but Yohe thought there was a perception around the league that he still had some upside and just isn't a fit with the Pens. Not that he would get a great return, but there would be some interest.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Excerpt from the Hockey News:

"Guentzel was on Servalli’s list of targets and matched the winger with the Colorado Avalanche. According to Seravalli, the deal would consist of Guentzel (at 50% retained) and goalie Alex Nedeljkovic heading to Colorado in exchange for first-round picks for 2024 and 2025 and a 2025 third-round pick."

I mean...Yours is already going to San Jose, so you still get a first this year and an additional one for next year. This would certainly help reload/rebuild especially if other guys are dealt. Not all of the picks have to stay picks though...can be traded for bodies that contribute going forward.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:29 pm Excerpt from the Hockey News:

"Guentzel was on Servalli’s list of targets and matched the winger with the Colorado Avalanche. According to Seravalli, the deal would consist of Guentzel (at 50% retained) and goalie Alex Nedeljkovic heading to Colorado in exchange for first-round picks for 2024 and 2025 and a 2025 third-round pick."

I mean...Yours is already going to San Jose, so you still get a first this year and an additional one for next year. This would certainly help reload/rebuild especially if other guys are dealt. Not all of the picks have to stay picks though...can be traded for bodies that contribute going forward.
I love your optimism! But lets look at the history of this teams draft prowess. Our scouting department isn't anything to write home about. It swings and misses more often than not. Now you will be getting late first round picks from Colorado which further complicates things. And who are we sweetening the deal with? Ned, someone who I'd like to keep with Jarry's inconsistency and injury history. Not sure trading with Colorado can yield the return we need.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:29 pm Excerpt from the Hockey News:

I love your optimism! But lets look at the history of this teams draft prowess. Our scouting department isn't anything to write home about. It swings and misses more often than not. Now you will be getting late first round picks from Colorado which further complicates things. And who are we sweetening the deal with? Ned, someone who I'd like to keep with Jarry's inconsistency and injury history. Not sure trading with Colorado can yield the return we need.
Agreed. Definitely prefer solid prospect/young player as opposed to multiple picks. Teams top 3 prospect + younger player + 1st round pick is a reasonable ask for Jake.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Trade Jake, sign Jagr. All problems solved. :pop:
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Tico Rick wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:17 pm Trade Jake, sign Jagr. All problems solved. :pop:
Man! I thought his Jersey Retirement Ceremony was tonight. I checked and see it's the 18th. I won't miss that. It's long overdue. I think it will be nice to bury the hatchet with all this. I hope Mario has a big role in this, with some surprise appearances of some of our other legends! All in all is should be an awesome night! :fist:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

On DK’s podcast he said Jake mouthed on the bench that he broke his wrist last night….if that’s the case then shut it all down.

DK was and still is a firm believer that the plan has always been to sign Jake and not trade him.

Here’s to hoping that Jake is OK and KD has a master plan up his sleeve! This team needs some magic.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:48 am On DK’s podcast he said Jake mouthed on the bench that he broke his wrist last night….if that’s the case then shut it all down.

DK was and still is a firm believer that the plan has always been to sign Jake and not trade him.

Here’s to hoping that Jake is OK and KD has a master plan up his sleeve! This team needs some magic.
I really think that DK is delusional when it comes to Guentzel. You're going to spend what 9 million/year on a guy who's tough, but is severely undersized and has a history of some tough injuries. Unfortunately both DK and the Penguins organization are a great match, they're both unwilling to see that its time to move on.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Poll should of had a 4th option “Jake gets long term injury before a decision is made”

So if he is out the only thing this helps is putting him on LTIR and at least having a full roster for the western road trip coming up and now it’s going to be resigning him or getting a late pick to trade his rights for a team to negotiate early or maybe something a little better to get that extra year of term only we can give him if a team wants to do that (and I don’t know if that’s still allowed).
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

KG wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:48 am On DK’s podcast he said Jake mouthed on the bench that he broke his wrist last night….if that’s the case then shut it all down.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Basically the worst possible outcome if he is, as he appears to be, injured. Makes the likely outcomes either, get nothing for him at all or get a seriously reduced return for an injured player who won't serve as a viable acquisition for a playoff team...unless he somehow is going to be back within a few weeks. Guess we will wait for confirmation but it appears at this point to have been a bang up job by our wunderkind GM. I still give him full credit for unloading so much stuff in the off season in one fell swoop, but beyond that I have been unimpressed...especially considering I think much of the crap we off loaded honestly probably was less of a problem than the idiot behind the bench. Given his refusal to **** the coaching staff that is about 5 years over due, and his wiffle waffling about moving Jake when it was painfully obvious to everyone this team was going nowhere, we remain in a pretty miserable spot. I would not be surprised to see him have to move his crown jewel acquisition either, because I seriously doubt EK is A) happy here B) interested in playing for a losing team with zero medium term future.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Definitely not a best case scenario ... might have to write this season off and rebuild in the summer.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Well yeah I would say this season has been a write off since about 3 months ago statistically. If we end up losing Jake for nothing, that would be an unmitigated catastrophe for this team and the ensuing asset loss could set rebuilding back several years, depending on how those hypothetical assets would play out.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I think if Jake can return before the end of season and prove he's still got it, they could still move him before UFA and get good return, especially with a sign and trade agreement. But, we may all be jumping the gun here. Need to see what is actually going on with Jake.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:41 pm I think if Jake can return before the end of season and prove he's still got it, they could still move him before UFA and get good return, especially with a sign and trade agreement. But, we may all be jumping the gun here. Need to see what is actually going on with Jake.
No matter what the injury is, short of him not missing a game, it'll diminish his value. Maybe not by much but that'll be on any GMs mind going into a trade.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/pitts ... um=twitter

Seravalli suggests the Jake injury shouldn't negatively impact his trade value...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/team ... s/feed/p/1

Wednesday GM Dubas will hold a "pre" trade media availability at 2pm. :idea: He'll tell us everything. :roll:

Dejan's penguins' daily shot is spot on today.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Crosby basically says he's not getting involved in anything related to Jake's situation here. Dubas is the GM, Crosby is the player. He's not going to go tell Dubas how to do his job, demand Jake stay, or want to leave if Jake is traded:

https://theathletic.com/5286060/2024/02 ... ed_article