Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by brwi »

BigMcK wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:57 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:27 pm
KG wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:15 pm
Skatingpen wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:57 pm Harkins on IR
We should now have cap space to recall a forward. Maybe Poulin gets a shot, if he's healthy....Firmly expecting on Gruden to get recalled and play 4 minutes next game...
IR does not open cap space. It opens a roster spot. Unless someone is shifted to LTIR, they still have no cap space.
I nominate a person within the organization with the letters HCMS. Long, long term injury status. Shield him away from the team.
Maybe he'll enter the Coaches Relocation Assistance Program.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:42 pm EDIT: Forgot to add from Sullivan's point of view...he needs to start adjusting ice time for players that won't stick to the plan. Players that aren't getting to the high danger areas for shots and playing the system, move em down the lineup and play those who will, even at the risk of tiring the effective players out.
In fairness to Sullivan, that seems to be why Rakell goes to the 3rd line instead of Rust because he stands out as a guy who takes games off and has always had a questionable compete level and lackluster two-way play in his career. He had some success last year with Malkin and then after doing a whole lot of nothing with him this year, comes back from injury and gets moved up to Sid's line with Rust out, and started producing. Now back on the 3rd line he looks totally checked-out.

A lot of people want Rakell on the 1st line because he has a much better chance to produce offensively instead of being with non-playmaker Eller or fading fast Malkin, but until he embraces playing the game the way Sullivan wants, it would be considered almost a "reward" that he hasn't earned. He doesn't have any NTC so he's moveable. If you're sticking with Sullivan, get players who will play it his way consistently.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

brwi wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:14 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:42 pm EDIT: Forgot to add from Sullivan's point of view...he needs to start adjusting ice time for players that won't stick to the plan. Players that aren't getting to the high danger areas for shots and playing the system, move em down the lineup and play those who will, even at the risk of tiring the effective players out.
In fairness to Sullivan, that seems to be why Rakell goes to the 3rd line instead of Rust because he stands out as a guy who takes games off and has always had a questionable compete level and lackluster two-way play in his career. He had some success last year with Malkin and then after doing a whole lot of nothing with him this year, comes back from injury and gets moved up to Sid's line with Rust out, and started producing. Now back on the 3rd line he looks totally checked-out.

A lot of people want Rakell on the 1st line because he has a much better chance to produce offensively instead of being with non-playmaker Eller or fading fast Malkin, but until he embraces playing the game the way Sullivan wants, it would be considered almost a "reward" that he hasn't earned. He doesn't have any NTC so he's moveable. If you're sticking with Sullivan, get players who will play it his way consistently.
Rakell has an 8 team NTC. I'm definitely disappointed in him this season, but...again I have to wonder if this is the Sullivan effect or what. Rakell played exceptional last year when we acquired him. He scored, his passing vision was excellent, and he used the body often to separate players from puck and win battles, not to give big thunderous hits. I've not seen much of that Rakell this year....and with Smith having a down year....and Karlsson not Karlsson...I again wonder how much is the players and how much is Sullivan and his system.

And did Sullivan ruin Ryan Grav....nah, too far. Graves is just downright horrible on his own. LOL
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Totally missed the 8 team NTC, bah.

I think Rakell probably thrives in a different situation, one where the team is more offensive-oriented and doesn't put that much emphasis on a two-way game and doesn't care if he ever brings some physicality, an aspect of his game that just disappeared for whatever reason but if it started re-appearing on the 3rd line, he might move back up the line up. He's never been a power forward but he could hit sometimes and battle hard for 50/50 pucks last year. Now, it's just kind of going through the motions.

No idea what happened to Graves. He probably was playing above his level when top-paired with Dougie last year, but Hamilton is erratic in his own end and Graves was the solid defensive dman who let Dougie be Dougie and also had a booming point shot. I know he was dealing with an injury and missed some time in the playoffs last year, but he didn't look bad vs. Carolina when most of the Devils were getting steamrolled. He should be able to hold down a 3/4 role on the blueline but he isn't close to that this year. Zero confidence, zero physical play-even at just getting in the damn way- and his skating looks real suspect.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

What would the Pens get for EK if they retained 50%? 3 more seasons after this one.
What a whiff the EK move was.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

The sad part is Matheson has more points than EK65. But of course management thought he useless on defense so they trade him, even though he makes 6M less than EK. Is Pittsburgh where players come to die? Lol.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:42 pm The sad part is Matheson has more points than EK65. But of course management thought he useless on defense so they trade him, even though he makes 6M less than EK. Is Pittsburgh where players come to die? Lol.
Dejan had a small piece on this too, saying the players are potentially starting to realize how to play with Karlsson. Dejan has made the argument that with Karlsson, it was more his teammates learning to play with him, rather than Karlsson trying to fit into the system.

He pointed out 2 recent goals...Crosby PPG against Minnesota to make it 2-2 game, and Rust goal in WPG to make it a 2-1 game. Both of those goals were results of Karlsson firing a shot from the point either on net, or close to the net. Both goals were deflection/redirect goals. That's Karlsson's money play.

But it requires players to go to the net...which is something this team has been avoiding for some time. In any event, I still think Karlsson is one of those moves that there was a better option.

This team, I think would be better as a whole if we had Jakob Chychrun, Dylan Strome, Sam Bennett and ERod versus Karlsson, Carter, Kapanen, and Eller.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:42 pm The sad part is Matheson has more points than EK65. But of course management thought he useless on defense so they trade him, even though he makes 6M less than EK. Is Pittsburgh where players come to die? Lol.
This is one of Hextall's biggest mistakes (+ the Tanev/McCann blunder). Think about what the blueline would look like if he had kept Matheson and Marino. What's worse is you have Ty Smith just languishing in the minors.
I imagine this blueline would be doing better than the version we have now. It would also be more cost effective with a combination of size, speed, and a touch of physicality.

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Ludvig-Rutta
POJ-Ruhwedel
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

dark_forces wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:03 pm
This is one of Hextall's biggest mistakes (+ the Tanev/McCann blunder). Think about what the blueline would look like if he had kept Matheson and Marino. What's worse is you have Ty Smith just languishing in the minors.
I imagine this blueline would be doing better than the version we have now. It would also be more cost effective with a combination of size, speed, and a touch of physicality.

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Ludvig-Rutta
POJ-Ruhwedel
Ain’t that the truth.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:08 pm

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Ludvig-Rutta
POJ-Ruhwedel
Ain’t that the truth.
Another Sullivan "cast-off"? Matheson comes to the Penguins and puts up career numbers in goals and points in his first full season....and we trade him??? Goes on to play only 48 games last year, but sets a career high in points with Montreal in only 48 games....and is again setting career numbers in points this season.

But he wasn't good enough for Sullivan. And it caused us to dump him and Marino, and we are still chasing the right defense. Petry wasn't it. Graves isn't it. EK is good, but he's falling into the "not good enough for Sullivan" trap. I still say we'd be better off if we kept Matheson, let him play his off side, and acquired Chychrun.

But we keep doing dumb things.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:56 pm

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Ludvig-Rutta
POJ-Ruhwedel
Ain’t that the truth.
Another Sullivan "cast-off"? Matheson comes to the Penguins and puts up career numbers in goals and points in his first full season....and we trade him??? Goes on to play only 48 games last year, but sets a career high in points with Montreal in only 48 games....and is again setting career numbers in points this season.

But he wasn't good enough for Sullivan. And it caused us to dump him and Marino, and we are still chasing the right defense. Petry wasn't it. Graves isn't it. EK is good, but he's falling into the "not good enough for Sullivan" trap. I still say we'd be better off if we kept Matheson, let him play his off side, and acquired Chychrun.

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:56 pm

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Ludvig-Rutta
POJ-Ruhwedel
Ain’t that the truth.

If true that the players need to learn how to play with EK, then he should be holding meetings in the locker room with a big dry erase board, diagramming what he is going to do with the puck, and where he wants the players to be. "Listen, you mutts, you, over there, you, over there, and you, over there.". HCMS is completely useless...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

This management made so many dumb trades its just mind boggling.. we lost so many good D last years, like Cole (Sully had issues with him), Ceci should be retained,then traded off Matheson and Marino was also WTF for me.. brought in Petry, Smith etc..
Graves is a walking disaster this season, potential was there,but we still overpayed a bit..

On offense we had soo many chances to retool,but didnt do it.. eeeh! We are just poorly managed franchise.. Dubas has hands tied as well it seems, otherwise we should have at least new coach..
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Ludvig-Rutta
POJ-Ruhwedel
Ain’t that the truth.
It truly IS the truth. And it actually makes me a bit sick and angry. :evil:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens going with 11 F and 7 D tonight with the injuries up front and no cap space to bring up anyone...
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Kessel skating in Vancouver??? How in the world? Wasn't it JR and Kessel that could not co-exist?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:35 pm Kessel skating in Vancouver??? How in the world? Wasn't it JR and Kessel that could not co-exist?
I think it was Sullivan and Kessel. And everyone thought Tocchet was the Kessel-whisperer...and Tocchet happens to be the coach of...Vancouver.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

KG wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:23 am Pens going with 11 F and 7 D tonight with the injuries up front and no cap space to bring up anyone...
Just let EK play wing. Maybe he'll tear it up.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:49 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:35 pm Kessel skating in Vancouver??? How in the world? Wasn't it JR and Kessel that could not co-exist?
I think it was Sullivan and Kessel. And everyone thought Tocchet was the Kessel-whisperer...and Tocchet happens to be the coach of...Vancouver.
JR said Kessel came to him and asked for a trade. Kessel said that wasn’t true.

Kessel said : Jim came to me, one time, and said to me that I’ll never be a Penguin again," said Kessel. "I think he’s mistaken a little bit there."
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Not looking good here ladies and gents.

Karlsson didn't agree to the trade to come to a team that's going to miss the playoffs. Have to wonder if his agent has talked to Dubas about moving on.

What does a EK trade look like? I'm sure we would have to retain a little to make salaries work, but maybe we should look into moving him and get some assets in return?

Trading him and Jake should help re-tool the team.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

That would be a good start. I would ask all players including Crosby if they want to be a part of the rebuild, then start dealing. Toss Sully.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

The Scale:

Is it HCMS and his system that isn't working,
Or,
Is it the players skills that isn't working?

If the great joke of a coach thought by some to so great, then the joke of players aren't so great.

If the roster of players thought by some to be so great, then the coach isn't so great.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Amazing-EK65 only has one goal since 11/28/23. Yikes!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

This date in Pens history...a coaching change was made...

https://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=3909857
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

BigMcK wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:00 am The Scale:

Is it HCMS and his system that isn't working,
Or,
Is it the players skills that isn't working?

If the great joke of a coach thought by some to so great, then the joke of players aren't so great.

If the roster of players thought by some to be so great, then the coach isn't so great.
The players are executing to their best ability what the coach is asking them to do. Either they can’t do it or the system is garbage.

I don’t think they have tuned him out like the team did to Therrien. This is more like Bylsma where Sullivan is out of ideas and has no idea how to use anyone new.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Did I see Poulin is hurt again? If Jake is out then Pusstinen has to be recalled. Frankly he should be up anyways even if on the 4th line.