Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

pekkasteele wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:55 am The only constant since the last cup is:

Sidney Crosby
Jake Guentzel
Evgeni Malkin
Bryan Rust
(Letang injured)

And
Sully.

I don't know, I think Sully is the bigger problem than those 4 players.
I started writing a description of each player, but, an easier summary is, the only player there that is a problem is Malkin. His play is declining, his penchant for turnovers, bad penalties, and altogether bad play is increasing. That's a big hole that I don't know how Dubas fills, but, it you are keeping the core here, it's a problem they cannot ignore.

Besides taking a hard look at Sullivan, it may be time to figure out where to find a more capable 2C and shift Malkin to wing.

And that could be where a Jake trade comes in.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

So, no Evgeni Malkin at practice today. Per Seth Rorabaugh, he was skating in gym clothes 20 minutes prior to practice while Chris Stewart (head athletic trainer) was watching on.

This does not sound good - but it could help explain the last few weeks....
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Coffey Break wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:15 am So, no Evgeni Malkin at practice today. Per Seth Rorabaugh, he was skating in gym clothes 20 minutes prior to practice while Chris Stewart (head athletic trainer) was watching on.

From Taylor:

• Evgeni Malkin is on the ice before practice just taking a few laps around, sometimes guys do that if they're testing out new skates. He's just in track pants and a shirt. Head athletic trainer Chris Stewart is on the bench watching him though and occasionally talking with him, so this could be injury-related too. We'll see if Malkin is back out there for practice. Stewart went up to the offices to talk with Kyle Dubas and Spezza after Malkin got off the ice. Doesn't seem like a good thing.

EDIT: Practice started. No Malkin. No Harkins. No Acciari. Penguins play Wednesday, and if any of those guys can't go, the Penguins don't have enough cap space to recall anyone. Poulin still day to day. Good times.

OR....Good time to do something, Dubas!!!!
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:25 am
Coffey Break wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:15 am So, no Evgeni Malkin at practice today. Per Seth Rorabaugh, he was skating in gym clothes 20 minutes prior to practice while Chris Stewart (head athletic trainer) was watching on.

From Taylor:

• Evgeni Malkin is on the ice before practice just taking a few laps around, sometimes guys do that if they're testing out new skates. He's just in track pants and a shirt. Head athletic trainer Chris Stewart is on the bench watching him though and occasionally talking with him, so this could be injury-related too. We'll see if Malkin is back out there for practice. Stewart went up to the offices to talk with Kyle Dubas and Spezza after Malkin got off the ice. Doesn't seem like a good thing.

EDIT: Practice started. No Malkin. No Harkins. No Acciari. Penguins play Wednesday, and if any of those guys can't go, the Penguins don't have enough cap space to recall anyone. Poulin still day to day. Good times.

Per Getzoff:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
O’Connor-Eller-Rakell

God help us all.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I'm curious if the Malkin supporters (defenders? apologists?) still think it was a good idea to resign him and are still happy about it? For those that denigrated those of us who wanted him moved a few years ago and then screamed for him to not be resigned last year... are you still happy and pleased they signed him again, signed him for 4 years to 6m of cap space? I know people often conflate thinking it was time to move on from malkin with thinking he's a garbage player who never did anything good in his time here, which no one in their right mind ever felt.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Coffey Break wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:47 am
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:25 am

From Taylor:

Per Getzoff:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
O’Connor-Eller-Rakell

God help us all.
Smith-Carter-Puljujarvi was the other line.

Harkins has a concussion. Acciari skated before practice. Malkin reportedly another maintenance day (he obviously seems to be nursing something). Sullivan unsure if he'll have another body for Wednesday or have to go 11F, 7D. They don't have the cap space to add another player unless someone goes on LTIR.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

It's beyond embarrassing that we have about 35 different players 3 different gms, 4 guaranteed hall of farmers, another player that is going to command 10 mil/year.

But it's the players. It's the gm for the 3rd freaking time.

Never the coach.

Pathetic.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Maestro wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:20 pm It's beyond embarrassing that we have about 35 different players 3 different gms, 4 guaranteed hall of farmers, another player that is going to command 10 mil/year.

But it's the players. It's the gm for the 3rd freaking time.

Never the coach.

Pathetic.
QFT
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

Antonio wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:31 pm I'm curious if the Malkin supporters (defenders? apologists?) still think it was a good idea to resign him and are still happy about it? For those that denigrated those of us who wanted him moved a few years ago and then screamed for him to not be resigned last year... are you still happy and pleased they signed him again, signed him for 4 years to 6m of cap space? I know people often conflate thinking it was time to move on from malkin with thinking he's a garbage player who never did anything good in his time here, which no one in their right mind ever felt.
Geno is fine for what he’s producing at his salary. He is not the problem, despite the penchant of multiple posters who love Mark Madden making him sound like the only problem facing the team. Sure he’s slowed down and now he’s injured. It’s the risk of signing a 35+ player. Resigning the core and letting them retire here is a decision that’s fine. No problem with that. It’s what both Hextall, Dubas and Sullivan (yes he has large hand in roster construction) surrounded them with. I would have like to sign both Trocheck and Malkin and then have Trocheck take over 2C when Malkin gets moved to wing, but Trocheck apparently didn’t want to do that. But other than that there were no other options for the Pens to find another 2C at the time Geno was a free agent
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ericf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:44 pm
Antonio wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:31 pm I'm curious if the Malkin supporters (defenders? apologists?) still think it was a good idea to resign him and are still happy about it? For those that denigrated those of us who wanted him moved a few years ago and then screamed for him to not be resigned last year... are you still happy and pleased they signed him again, signed him for 4 years to 6m of cap space? I know people often conflate thinking it was time to move on from malkin with thinking he's a garbage player who never did anything good in his time here, which no one in their right mind ever felt.
Geno is fine for what he’s producing at his salary. He is not the problem, despite the penchant of multiple posters who love Mark Madden making him sound like the only problem facing the team. Sure he’s slowed down and now he’s injured. It’s the risk of signing a 35+ player. Resigning the core and letting them retire here is a decision that’s fine. No problem with that. It’s what both Hextall, Dubas and Sullivan (yes he has large hand in roster construction) surrounded them with. I would have like to sign both Trocheck and Malkin and then have Trocheck take over 2C when Malkin gets moved to wing, but Trocheck apparently didn’t want to do that. But other than that there were no other options for the Pens to find another 2C at the time Geno was a free agent
He's fine for what he is making, but he is definitely declining in production. HIs contract should have been a "steal" for the Penguins. A hometown discount where he outpaces the value. That's not happening. This team has 3 big guns on offense...Sid, Geno, and Jake. And Geno's ability to be counted on as one of those big guns is in question at the moment.

Right now, this is essentially a one line team. Opposing teams should be putting their best defensive units out against the Crosby line, and forcing lines 2-4 to beat them.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:56 pm
Ericf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:44 pm
He's fine for what he is making, but he is definitely declining in production. HIs contract should have been a "steal" for the Penguins. A hometown discount where he outpaces the value. That's not happening. This team has 3 big guns on offense...Sid, Geno, and Jake. And Geno's ability to be counted on as one of those big guns is in question at the moment.

Right now, this is essentially a one line team. Opposing teams should be putting their best defensive units out against the Crosby line, and forcing lines 2-4 to beat them.
I don’t think it’s entirely Geno’s fault that this is a one-line team. He’s 37 and not what he once was and he’s not going to carry two ineffective wingers anymore. He needs someone who can carry the puck and finish chances. He’s produced quite a few scoring chances that never materialize as goals and can still be very effective if he had some better players playing with him
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Geno will be better suited at a wing in this stage of his career. Now we all know top 6 centers don't grow on trees, so I have no idea who we could get to play 2C, but maybe if we trade Jake we can make Geno Sid's LW...that would be pretty cool to see as they ride into the sunset...
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

There are a lot of issues with the team right now as it is currently constructed. And a lot of blame and hate gets put on the fourth line and third line and Mike Sullivan, but when your second line is as big of a gaping black hole as it currently is, that is you #1 problem. Smith has been terrible, whatever other winger, DOC/Rakell has been terrible, and Malkin is single handedly the biggest issue. Sure his natural skill allows him to get a point here and there, but the guy's overall game is just gone. He can't skate anymore, whether its at center or wing, he skates in sand. His decision making, while never great, is now 2x the issue because he doesn't have the wheels to compensate. It's not Jansen Harkins' fault for this teams shortcomings.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Bring back the two headed monster, yes?
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:38 pm Geno will be better suited at a wing in this stage of his career. Now we all know top 6 centers don't grow on trees, so I have no idea who we could get to play 2C, but maybe if we trade Jake we can make Geno Sid's LW...that would be pretty cool to see as they ride into the sunset...
You could move Geno to wing, I'd question he would be able to function in that role. He's a guy that wants to carry the puck, and with Sid on that line I can see issues developing. He'd have to fully commit to playing the position, and I question whether he would be willing to do that.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Harkins on IR
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Skatingpen wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:57 pm Harkins on IR
We should now have cap space to recall a forward. Maybe Poulin gets a shot, if he's healthy....Firmly expecting on Gruden to get recalled and play 4 minutes next game...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:15 pm
We should now have cap space to recall a forward. Maybe Poulin gets a shot, if he's healthy....Firmly expecting on Gruden to get recalled and play 4 minutes next game...
IR does not open cap space. It opens a roster spot. Unless someone is shifted to LTIR, they still have no cap space.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:27 pm
IR does not open cap space. It opens a roster spot. Unless someone is shifted to LTIR, they still have no cap space.
In that case, it's time for Harkins to take one for the team :wink:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:59 pm
In that case, it's time for Harkins to take one for the team :wink:
But what about that killer shot????
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Every team in the league would take Geno at 6m a year. The difference…. They would give him someone to play with on his line.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:37 pm
Every team in the league would take Geno at 6m a year. The difference…. They would give him someone to play with on his line.
I guess the problem at this point is, you could give Malkin Guentzel and Rust to see if Geno's play improves, but you are cutting off your only successful line to try and jumpstart another. If it works, great. If it doesn't....you've likely killed your playoff chances. It's something that probably should have been tried weeks ago, or at least several times over the last few games (maybe not for the full game).
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

I nominate a person within the organization with the letters HCMS. Long, long term injury status. Shield him away from the team.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Smith-Crosby-Rakell would be productive because it still has Sid. If Jake can’t still be productive with Geno instead of Sid then he’s not worth the money he will be getting in his next contract to this team. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to see how that would look before the deadline.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

DelPen wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:07 pm Smith-Crosby-Rakell would be productive because it still has Sid. If Jake can’t still be productive with Geno instead of Sid then he’s not worth the money he will be getting in his next contract to this team. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to see how that would look before the deadline.
Excellent point. Kick the tires on his ability to be productive away from Crosby before the deadline is over and it's too late.