What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by Wyopen »

My ultimate fear is that we sign Jake to a ridiculous 8yr contract and after the first couple year of said contract he ends up like Malkin.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Wyopen wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:05 pm My ultimate fear is that we sign Jake to a ridiculous 8yr contract and after the first couple year of said contract he ends up like Malkin.
Even if they do, he will still be tradable. Probably not return as much as he would at this moment in time, but signing him (even to a 8 year deal) would not be that horrible. He would be the same age as Geno/Sid at the end of the contract.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:08 pm
Wyopen wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:05 pm My ultimate fear is that we sign Jake to a ridiculous 8yr contract and after the first couple year of said contract he ends up like Malkin.
Even if they do, he will still be tradable. Probably not return as much as he would at this moment in time, but signing him (even to a 8 year deal) would not be that horrible. He would be the same age as Geno/Sid at the end of the contract.
I just don't this team needs 8 players that have high salaries and NTC/NMCs, that will be difficult to move. There's no need for them with where this team is at. We're not a contender.

Something else that I saw brought up today...a lot of the bigger UFAs are likely going to be asking (cough, their agents) for bigger than usual $$$ because they know the cap is going up and some players more than others have been restricted by the last several years of lower cap.

So now we can add in that Jake may have a much bigger $$$ ask than we think.

It still, for me, all points back as the time to start moving off higher pieces, bring in some younger guys that could have just as good of a chance to make the team competitive, and give the team much more flexibility to make additional moves.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:30 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:08 pm
I just don't this team needs 8 players that have high salaries and NTC/NMCs, that will be difficult to move. There's no need for them with where this team is at. We're not a contender.

Something else that I saw brought up today...a lot of the bigger UFAs are likely going to be asking (cough, their agents) for bigger than usual $$$ because they know the cap is going up and some players more than others have been restricted by the last several years of lower cap.

So now we can add in that Jake may have a much bigger $$$ ask than we think.

It still, for me, all points back as the time to start moving off higher pieces, bring in some younger guys that could have just as good of a chance to make the team competitive, and give the team much more flexibility to make additional moves.
Agreed. If I'm Jake, I'm intent on going to free agency, unless Pittsburgh came with an offer that was very respectable. Big picture, Jake has to see that the immediate future of this team is not great, and is only going to get worse before it gets better. Unless it's big bucks, why should he stay?
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Teams like Tampa, FL, Vegas, Dallas, also offer no state tax - so why not wait to see if there is interest there - an extra mil or 2 per year ain't shabby.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

As TFP’s David Pagnotta first reported, Jake Guentzel is not expected to address his expiring contract until after the season. Guentzel’s agent Ben Hankinson later confirmed that they are likely to wait to see the direction of the team. If the Penguins remain in the playoff race by the deadline, they may hold on to Guentzel and take their chances in the off-season. As of this update, the team is not engaged in trade talks.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade-watch-list-2024
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:34 am As TFP’s David Pagnotta first reported, Jake Guentzel is not expected to address his expiring contract until after the season. Guentzel’s agent Ben Hankinson later confirmed that they are likely to wait to see the direction of the team. If the Penguins remain in the playoff race by the deadline, they may hold on to Guentzel and take their chances in the off-season. As of this update, the team is not engaged in trade talks.

In other words, like I said before...Guentzel and his agent aren't stupid. As much as Guentzel wants to hit on his last payday, I think he also wants to be playing on a team where he can earn another Stanley Cup.

I don't see how he and his agent look at this team and say....yep, this is the place where you have the best chance to win another Cup in the next 7-8 years.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:23 pm
KG wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:34 am As TFP’s David Pagnotta first reported, Jake Guentzel is not expected to address his expiring contract until after the season. Guentzel’s agent Ben Hankinson later confirmed that they are likely to wait to see the direction of the team. If the Penguins remain in the playoff race by the deadline, they may hold on to Guentzel and take their chances in the off-season. As of this update, the team is not engaged in trade talks.

In other words, like I said before...Guentzel and his agent aren't stupid. As much as Guentzel wants to hit on his last payday, I think he also wants to be playing on a team where he can earn another Stanley Cup.

I don't see how he and his agent look at this team and say....yep, this is the place where you have the best chance to win another Cup in the next 7-8 years.
Starting to feel like we are going to lose Jake to free agency for nothing...I don't see Dubas trading Jake unless we are far out of a playoff spot. If we are close to 3rd in the Metro by the deadline, there is no way Dubas would trade Jake and do that to Sid.

I mean you almost have to sign Jake to protect the asset and trade him in 3 years for some assets. Can't lose him for absolutely nothing...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:07 pm

Starting to feel like we are going to lose Jake to free agency for nothing...I don't see Dubas trading Jake unless we are far out of a playoff spot. If we are close to 3rd in the Metro by the deadline, there is no way Dubas would trade Jake and do that to Sid.

I mean you almost have to sign Jake to protect the asset and trade him in 3 years for some assets. Can't lose him for absolutely nothing...
At this point last season, January 28th, we had played 3 more games, had 6 more points (57 points), and were in WC2 spot, 1 point behind WC1 spot (WSH) with 2 games in hand.

This season, on January 28th, we're 5 points out of 3rd in the Metro, 6 points out of WC2 spot, and 7 points out of WC1 spot. We're worse off, and marginally better on paper. Last year at this time, we had give up 27 more goals, but we had also scored 23 more goals.

There were people wanting to see at the deadline last year (I think I was one on the fence). We're in a worse spot this year, and we've actually LOST ground. 1 month ago, December 28th, we were 3 points out of WC2 spot, 5 points out of WC1 spot, and 6 points out of 3rd in the Metro. November 28th, we were 4 points out of both WC spots, and 2 points out of 3rd in the Metro.

Those trends, the PP, the goal decrease, dead last in finishing expected goals...all should be enough for any sane GM to sell at the deadline. For me, February 15th is our deadline to start putting out selling trade feelers. We have 5 games after the ASG break....Winnipeg twice, Florida, Chicago, and Minnesota. If we can't get down to 2-3 points out of a spot and show meaningful improvement (ie, the PP does something), we gotta sell.

You can't sign Jake if Jake refuses to even consider signing in the summer. And if Jake is looking for 10M plus...it does no good to sign Jake when you'll have difficulty filling out the rest of the holes on this roster.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:19 pm
KG wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:07 pm

At this point last season, January 28th, we had played 3 more games, had 6 more points (57 points), and were in WC2 spot, 1 point behind WC1 spot (WSH) with 2 games in hand.

This season, on January 28th, we're 5 points out of 3rd in the Metro, 6 points out of WC2 spot, and 7 points out of WC1 spot. We're worse off, and marginally better on paper. Last year at this time, we had give up 27 more goals, but we had also scored 23 more goals.

There were people wanting to see at the deadline last year (I think I was one on the fence). We're in a worse spot this year, and we've actually LOST ground. 1 month ago, December 28th, we were 3 points out of WC2 spot, 5 points out of WC1 spot, and 6 points out of 3rd in the Metro. November 28th, we were 4 points out of both WC spots, and 2 points out of 3rd in the Metro.

Those trends, the PP, the goal decrease, dead last in finishing expected goals...all should be enough for any sane GM to sell at the deadline. For me, February 15th is our deadline to start putting out selling trade feelers. We have 5 games after the ASG break....Winnipeg twice, Florida, Chicago, and Minnesota. If we can't get down to 2-3 points out of a spot and show meaningful improvement (ie, the PP does something), we gotta sell.

You can't sign Jake if Jake refuses to even consider signing in the summer. And if Jake is looking for 10M plus...it does no good to sign Jake when you'll have difficulty filling out the rest of the holes on this roster.
The fact that Guentzel's camp has taken this approach, no contract talks until the season is over, leaves Dubas no choice but to trade him. Vancouver is the obvious choice because you know Rutherford and company once they set their sights on a player won't blink and overpaying a bit. I doubt that Vancouver will have an issue giving up a first round pick and prospect (Lekkerimaki). The roster player might be the sticking point. If you're Dubas you probably want the younger player with the lower cap hit in Hoglander, which gives you more room to add after the season. Supposedly last year Sullivan want Chychrun when he was in Arizona. Would Dubas flip the first round pick he acquired in the trade, plus add something else minor to add more to the blueline? There are rumors about Chychrun being on the block. Moving Graves, somewhere, would be another win.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

If Jake doesn't get traded, and doesn't sign up for a new contract in the off-season, what is the emotional state of Sid going to be without Jake riding shotgun?

It seems some people are thinking Sid will be uber angry if Jake isn't available because he was traded, but aren't factoring in if Jake voluntarily leaves at seasons end.

Will Management seek out a specific player during the off-season if Sid says that's what he wants? Or, will they run any trade options by Sid before making the trade? 'Sid, we have a chance to trade Jake (who won't discuss if he wants to return next season) for a First round pick, NHL player, along with a prospect. Are you okay with that?'
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

BigMcK wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:38 pm If Jake doesn't get traded, and doesn't sign up for a new contract in the off-season, what is the emotional state of Sid going to be without Jake riding shotgun?

It seems some people are thinking Sid will be uber angry if Jake isn't available because he was traded, but aren't factoring in if Jake voluntarily leaves at seasons end.

Will Management seek out a specific player during the off-season if Sid says that's what he wants? Or, will they run any trade options by Sid before making the trade? 'Sid, we have a chance to trade Jake (who won't discuss if he wants to return next season) for a First round pick, NHL player, along with a prospect. Are you okay with that?'
Everybody on this team from 87 on down thinks its 2015 and they can continue to play the same way. Instead of re-establishing a different identity that is more defense oriented, and one that counterattacks on the opponents mistakes, we are stuck in the past. Its time for Dubas & company to chart an alternate path forward and if 87 doesn't like it, well even Wayne Gretsky got traded.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

I like the idea of Lekkerimaki, a 1st + Höglander for Jake.
But due to $ not matching it would be hard to pull off.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Maestro wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:11 pm I like the idea of Lekkerimaki, a 1st + Höglander for Jake.
Would think Vancouver would push hard for us to take Kuzmenko back...Him and Geno could be good but there's not much defense being played on that line!

Garland is a decent player as well. Curious to see how Vancouver handles the deadline and how much they give up.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

If it were Lekkerimaki a 1st + one of the 2 you mention I'd do that too.

In fact I think that's the big deadline deal that gets consummated.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:13 pm
Maestro wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:11 pm I like the idea of Lekkerimaki, a 1st + Höglander for Jake.
Would think Vancouver would push hard for us to take Kuzmenko back...Him and Geno could be good but there's not much defense being played on that line!

Garland is a decent player as well. Curious to see how Vancouver handles the deadline and how much they give up.
We'd likely have to take Kuzmenko, Lekkerimaki, and a 1st for Jake...which isn't a bad deal. There's no reason we can't flip Kuzmenko for additional assets as well, as there are definitely teams interested in him after he put up 39 goals last year. Not sure why he's nowhere near that this year.

Imagine retaining 10-15% on Jake, getting Kuzmenko, Lekkerimaki, and a 1st from Vancouver, then flipping Kuzmenko (with some retention) to somewhere like Colorado for another 1st and high prospect. Kuzmenko is signed through next year, so that helps his value.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

I was one that voted to deal with it after the season, thinking Jake might want to stay and would be willing to take a little less to do so. Since I'm not sure the Pens will make the playoffs, and even if they do I expect a first round loss, it's probably time to trade Jake. That being said, Jake going to another team doesn't mean he'll be successful there, but you can bet your sweet *** when FA comes, he'll cash in big time. I'm not sure the Pens can afford him either way it goes.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

The thought of leadership needing the Captain to sign off on trades makes me queazy.... I'd say he's owed nothing more than a heads up.

I'm hoping that's not how the operation works. If it is, I kinda hope they flounder.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

If the Penguins could get a 1st, a top prospect for Jake, would they consider a trade for Trevor Zegras for Jake instead? Essentially, the Penguins would be giving up on the 1st and prospect for what would be potentially a better bet. Zegras is 22 years old, signed for 2 more seasons after this one at 5.75M
The Penguins would be essentially extending their window with Sid and Co by grabbing a wing that is young enough to not be a contradiction to a retool/rebuild. Anaheim could either keep Jake and resign him or trade him at the deadline themselves for a 1st and prospect. The Penguins could trade Zegras in 2 years at the deadline if the rebuild is in full motion.

Something to think about. What do you think?
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:34 pm If the Penguins could get a 1st, a top prospect for Jake, would they consider a trade for Trevor Zegras for Jake instead? Essentially, the Penguins would be giving up on the 1st and prospect for what would be potentially a better bet. Zegras is 22 years old, signed for 2 more seasons after this one at 5.75M
The Penguins would be essentially extending their window with Sid and Co by grabbing a wing that is young enough to not be a contradiction to a retool/rebuild. Anaheim could either keep Jake and resign him or trade him at the deadline themselves for a 1st and prospect. The Penguins could trade Zegras in 2 years at the deadline if the rebuild is in full motion.

Something to think about. What do you think?
Zegras should play 2C and move Geno to LW.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

I think Zegras is incredibly overrated - he gives a team "style points" but I'm not really enamored by his game because of a few Michigans he pulled off. And not to mention, he's currently dealing with surgery for a broken ankle - it wouldn't be prudent to even think about that trade until you know exactly how his body is reacting to that sort of injury.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Zegras has never really done it for me either. A lot of flash, little substance.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Friedman was on NHL network tonight and talked about the Pens potential plans for the deadline.

He said he expects them to go through a “soft rebuild” over the next couple of years and recoup assets and build. Said Dubas will talk with Jake’s agent during the break and go from there.

He also said we will not be buyers that won’t be trading first, second round picks or our top prospects.

Sounds like Dubas wants to know what direction Jake is going before the deadline so he can make a decision on a trade.

Have to wonder if Dubas is going to have a similar discussion with other vets.

Real curious to see where this goes….
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:30 pm Friedman was on NHL network tonight and talked about the Pens potential plans for the deadline.

He said he expects them to go through a “soft rebuild” over the next couple of years and recoup assets and build. Said Dubas will talk with Jake’s agent during the break and go from there.

He also said we will not be buyers that won’t be trading first, second round picks or our top prospects.

Sounds like Dubas wants to know what direction Jake is going before the deadline so he can make a decision on a trade.

I guess if they trade Jake and acquire a 1st round pick as part of the deal, they could flip that pick for some more immediate help, rather than hope a late 1st round pick turns into an average player in 3 to 4 years. Think of a pending UFA that could help them now, and maybe could be-resigned using the cap money that Guentzel leaves behind. Any ideas ??
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

pens_CT wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:28 pm
KG wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:30 pm Friedman was on NHL network tonight and talked about the Pens potential plans for the deadline.

I guess if they trade Jake and acquire a 1st round pick as part of the deal, they could flip that pick for some more immediate help, rather than hope a late 1st round pick turns into an average player in 3 to 4 years. Think of a pending UFA that could help them now, and maybe could be-resigned using the cap money that Guentzel leaves behind. Any ideas ??
I think unless Jake gets no good offers during free agency I think he's gone. I'd rather an average player 3 to 4 years than no one. I think an average asset will at least create competition in the prospect pool and maybe he pushes someone to get from good to great. Either way this roster isn't working and neither is the francises direction.

WBS, on the other hand is in 3rd place this year and the only reason they aren't competing for a division title is because Hershey is an insane 34-7, 70 points in 43 games. Blomqvist is 2nd in the AHL in GAA and 4th in Sav% and seems to be having a really solid season. At least WBS seems to be on the upswing and look to have a pretty young team so that's good news at least.