Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

thehockeyguru wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:07 pm Is our 1st rounder this season that was traded to SJ top 10 protected?
It is :thumb:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:31 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:07 pm Is our 1st rounder this season that was traded to SJ top 10 protected?
It is :thumb:
It depends. We traded this year's 1st, but it is lottery protected. So essentially, we cannot trade our 2024 or 2025 1st round pick until the condition is finalized.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

dark_forces wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:03 pm
KG wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:17 pm 30th ranked power play almost into February. Crosby, Jake, Geno, Karlsson on it. Reirden, we thank you for your efforts, but we are going to move the power play to someone else. Because if the power play doesn't turn around, we will not make the playoffs again.

Why this hasn't happened yet, is beyond me.
This very much reminds me of pre-salary cap era NY Ranger teams. They go out and sign the stars, the name players, and their teams were largely average with little chemistry and didn't score anywhere near what they were projected to. Sound familiar?
Although I liked the brass to go out and acquire Karlsson, my initial personal reaction was—we don't really need him. We need playoff style players to round out the lineup, not more stars who score a lot in the regular season, but when they don't score, they don't really bring much else.
This team's PP might need a little less chemistry and a lot more selfishness. 1 or 2 safe passes followed by shots and rebounds. The biggest problem is the players and coaches need to stop thinking the core can make passes now that they did a decade ago.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

I admire the fact that hockey players arrive at arena in suits. I think this is only sport that does this, very professional. Just a random fodder.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Wyopen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:06 pm I admire the fact that hockey players arrive at arena in suits. I think this is only sport that does this, very professional. Just a random fodder.
I was just thinking this the other day. I would extend your observation to the coaches too. They are always dressed very well—professional and polished. Contrast that with NFL coaches who have increasingly dressed down and look like lazy dads who just got up from lounging around the house in their hoodies and sweatpants. And, don't get me started on NBA players who now look no different than common prison yard thugs.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

dark_forces wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:57 pm
Wyopen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:06 pm I admire the fact that hockey players arrive at arena in suits. I think this is only sport that does this, very professional. Just a random fodder.
I was just thinking this the other day. I would extend your observation to the coaches too. They are always dressed very well—professional and polished. Contrast that with NFL coaches who have increasingly dressed down and look like lazy dads who just got up from lounging around the house in their hoodies and sweatpants. And, don't get me started on NBA players who now look no different than common prison yard thugs.
Very true..
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Is it time to move Geno to LW next season? Maybe play him with Sid and be Jakes replacement and bring in a new 2C either via a trade for Jake or free agency. He clearly either can't or won't handle the defensive responsibilities of playing center anymore.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Football players in Europe usually does it too. At least most in the higher leagues like Premier league, La liga and Serie A.

PS. The sport people in US calls Soccer.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... is-letang/#

Why does the Pittsburgh media never mention maybe firing the coach is the short-term solution to help save the season? Think it worked pretty well for Edmonton!
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:13 am https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... is-letang/#

Why does the Pittsburgh media never mention maybe firing the coach is the short-term solution to help save the season? Think it worked pretty well for Edmonton!
I mean if you want to fire the coach, I have no issues with that. However the question remains, how much good will it do? The players from 87 on down want to play like its 2015. If you bring someone in that tries to implement a more defensive system, they will revolt like they did under Therrien and Johnston. I think you need to move some people by trades in order to get their attention. That's Guentzel and Rakell since their contracts allow them to be moved to most teams.

Its a perimeter team, that believes style points matter in how you score a goal. They don't have players willing to go to the net for the ugly goals. Their defensive coverage is bad, and the PP is off the charts horrible. But sure change the coach if you want to, the results are going to be more of the same. You can't compare this situation to Edmonton, whose best players are still under 30.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I'm hoping they stay at least in the playoff hunt so they can offload that No. 1 to San Jose this year. I don't want to gamble that they'll be any better down the road.

That said, they can recoup a No. 1 & more by trading Jake. They also can deal Rakell for something, Smith, Eller, Acciari also. They can amass some picks and younger prospects (almost any young prospect should be attractive to this organization). Play the young guys and see who sticks so you know what you are dealing with come the offseason.

That's all pie-in-the-sky stuff, btw. They won't even fire Sullivan, so why would I think that they'd make some moves that might actually help the team next year. They obviously coddle and defer to the core, so if that's the case, sit them down and explain what the plan is. Status quo shouldn't be good for the core, either, should it?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I consistently said Hornqvist and Kunitz types is a big missing element from this team.
Looking at it last night, the other big missing element is a shutdown defensive pairing.

There's no Orpik-Scuderi. There's no Hainsey and Ian Cole. There's no pre-injury Olli Maatta.

I look at this team right now, and I see FIVE players playing at or above expectations: Crosby, Guentzel, Eller, Pettersson and Nedeljkovic. The rest are all under-performing from my view.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

ahawk9 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:36 am I'm hoping they stay at least in the playoff hunt so they can offload that No. 1 to San Jose this year. I don't want to gamble that they'll be any better down the road.

That said, they can recoup a No. 1 & more by trading Jake. They also can deal Rakell for something, Smith, Eller, Acciari also. They can amass some picks and younger prospects (almost any young prospect should be attractive to this organization). Play the young guys and see who sticks so you know what you are dealing with come the offseason.

That's all pie-in-the-sky stuff, btw. They won't even fire Sullivan, so why would I think that they'd make some moves that might actually help the team next year. They obviously coddle and defer to the core, so if that's the case, sit them down and explain what the plan is. Status quo shouldn't be good for the core, either, should it?
I'm on board with this. I don't see them firing Sullivan. I don't see them trading Jake either—more because of keeping Crosby happy than anything else. But I could see them dealing Rakell, Smith, Eller, Acciari, POJ, Nieto for picks, maybe get a younger NHLer back (in Rakell's case) and fill holes another way in the offseason.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:51 am I consistently said Hornqvist and Kunitz types is a big missing element from this team.
Looking at it last night, the other big missing element is a shutdown defensive pairing.

There's no Orpik-Scuderi. There's no Hainsey and Ian Cole. There's no pre-injury Olli Maatta.

I look at this team right now, and I see FIVE players playing at or above expectations: Crosby, Guentzel, Eller, Pettersson and Nedeljkovic. The rest are all under-performing from my view.
Absolutely agree. Based on performance, Hextall and Burke may as well still be in charge.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

pens_CT wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:28 am
KG wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:13 am https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... is-letang/#

I mean if you want to fire the coach, I have no issues with that. However the question remains, how much good will it do? The players from 87 on down want to play like its 2015. If you bring someone in that tries to implement a more defensive system, they will revolt like they did under Therrien and Johnston. I think you need to move some people by trades in order to get their attention. That's Guentzel and Rakell since their contracts allow them to be moved to most teams.

Its a perimeter team, that believes style points matter in how you score a goal. They don't have players willing to go to the net for the ugly goals. Their defensive coverage is bad, and the PP is off the charts horrible. But sure change the coach if you want to, the results are going to be more of the same. You can't compare this situation to Edmonton, whose best players are still under 30.
My trade block right now is Guentzel, Smith, Rakell, Rust, any of the bottom 6 minus Eller, Graves, POJ. Could do some hockey trades to send that message.

The boldest message would be to move one of Guentzel or Rust.

I do not think they will move any of Crosby, Malkin or Letang.

I think if Karlsson continues to struggle, he may ask to be moved.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Pitts wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:10 pm
pens_CT wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:28 am

My trade block right now is Guentzel, Smith, Rakell, Rust, any of the bottom 6 minus Eller, Graves, POJ. Could do some hockey trades to send that message.

The boldest message would be to move one of Guentzel or Rust.

I do not think they will move any of Crosby, Malkin or Letang.

I think if Karlsson continues to struggle, he may ask to be moved.
I think straight up hockey trades or dealing players like Acciari, POJ for picks is most likely. Smith and/or Rakell for hockey "change of scenery" type trades are the biggest splashes we'll see. If Karlsson is dealt, it probably happens in the offseason.
Crosby and Letang (maybe O'Connor) would be the only players that are safe right now. (I would also say that our goalie tandem is fine)
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Going to leave this here. On the AZ broadcast, one of the announcers labeled Letang passing backwards to Malkin was worse than this goal blunder:
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

BigMcK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:10 pm Going to leave this here. On the AZ broadcast, one of the announcers labeled Letang passing backwards to Malkin was worse than this goal blunder:
I think because it was the Smythe Final makes it worse. Letang's was bad but really seems like the system is to go 5 steps forward, pass back, 10 steps forward, pass back, wash rinse repeat then pass it around the perimeter until it goes the other way. So Letang was just doing what is habitual.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Daniel wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:30 pm
BigMcK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:10 pm Going to leave this here. On the AZ broadcast, one of the announcers labeled Letang passing backwards to Malkin was worse than this goal blunder:
I think because it was the Smythe Final makes it worse. Letang's was bad but really seems like the system is to go 5 steps forward, pass back, 10 steps forward, pass back, wash rinse repeat then pass it around the perimeter until it goes the other way. So Letang was just doing what is habitual.
Habitual? Or what he has been coached to do?
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

The Graves / Karlsson pairing is a disaster. 2 creampuff defenders. Except for his A on Sid's goal Karlsson was putrid last night. Giveaway after giveaway. Horrible pinches. Bourque said "I've never seen anyone play defense like that before". Hell, put him on wing. God knows they need some. At least he'll shoot. Obviously that's what he wants to do. I get the "Sully is ruining him" thing. But I don't think Sully tells him to make stupid passes then stand around waving his stick. Graves, weakest big guy I ever saw on skates. Just can't have them out there together. And yes, I'm half joking about the EK65 on wing thing.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Year after year our team needs offensively gifted forwards. Instead of getting those, we spend money on defense. For some odd reason, the Penguins thought they needed another Letang instead of, you know.... fowards who can score.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Just for fun, who on our team would return a first round pick (or multiple) at this years trade deadline. Here is who I believe would:
-Crosby
-Geno
-Letang
-EK
-Jake
-Jarry
-MP

Of those, I believe the following are a possibility to be traded :
-EK
-Jake
-Jarry
-MP

Of the four mentioned above, I am least confident of Jarry being traded. The only reason I believe he could be is that I think Dubas felt he had no option last summer with what was available at the time. This summer is a different story. I think EK is the highest likely to be traded followed by Jake and then MP. If all four players could return a first or multiple 1sts or 1st and prospects, I think that we could quickly begin rebuilding a solid team through a youth movement.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

BurghThing wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:03 pm
Daniel wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:30 pm
Habitual? Or what he has been coached to do?
I think both. The plan for years has that stupid backward pass to try to build speed, which is fine when the team actually has a lot of speed.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

From David Pagnotta of 4th Period: Full house of scouts and reps at the Sens/Habs game tonight in Montreal: ANA, AZ, BOS (2), BUF, CBJ, DAL (3), FLA, NAS, NJ, SJ, TB (2), TOR (2), VAN, VGK, WPG (2)

EDIT: and here's the Kings-Sharks list from last night...8 teams with reps on the list for tonight’s Sharks/Kings game: TB, CHI, TOR, VAN, STL, NJ, COL, SEA

Interesting note of how many scouts are there, and nobody from the Penguins. Doesn't mean anything yet, but...if we start seeing more and more of these reports missing Penguins scouts, that might end up being an early indicator of being a seller rather than a buyer.

Since it's Ottawa game here, I'll mention that Chychrun is a bit perturbed at recent trade rumors involving him, or the notion that he already doesn't like Ottawa. Says his family is from here, he's like 5 minutes from his sister, 10 minutes from his grandmother, and people are out there just throwing darts at a board to hope something sticks and get social media clicks.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Saw on the TSN Insider video tonight that when someone reached out to Dubas about "seeing where this team is at the All-Star break," Dubas reportedly said that wasn't a hard deadline and he'll continue to evaluate. :face: