What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by Coffey Break »

As far as I'm concerned, there are only 2 scenarios here.

1) If the Pens are anywhere sniffing the playoffs (within 5 points of a playoff spot) by the deadline, there is 0% chance that Jake is going anywhere.
2) If the Pens are vastly on the outside looking in - this is the only scenario I see where they move on from Jake at the deadline.

And while it would be brutal and awful to lose Jake for absolutely nothing (Option 1 above), thinking with rosy glasses - the Pens will have close to about 9.5MM opened up with just Jake and Carter alone off the books. I haven't looked at the FA list for the summer, but you might be able to find a decent replacement for him in the offseason (if 59 decides to test the market).
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Coffey Break wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:28 am As far as I'm concerned, there are only 2 scenarios here.

1) If the Pens are anywhere sniffing the playoffs (within 5 points of a playoff spot) by the deadline, there is 0% chance that Jake is going anywhere.
2) If the Pens are vastly on the outside looking in - this is the only scenario I see where they move on from Jake at the deadline.

And while it would be brutal and awful to lose Jake for absolutely nothing (Option 1 above), thinking with rosy glasses - the Pens will have close to about 9.5MM opened up with just Jake and Carter alone off the books. I haven't looked at the FA list for the summer, but you might be able to find a decent replacement for him in the offseason (if 59 decides to test the market).
I think if they're not mathematically eliminated at the deadline they'll keep trying to get to their game and lose Jake for nothing while giving San Jose a nice draft pick.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:41 am
Coffey Break wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:28 am As far as I'm concerned, there are only 2 scenarios here.

I think if they're not mathematically eliminated at the deadline they'll keep trying to get to their game and lose Jake for nothing while giving San Jose a nice draft pick.
Yep you're probably right (I was giving the organization more credit then I should have in terms of realizing when it's not happening this year). I'm firmly on team "Trade Jake" no matter what but those are the only 2 plausible things I could see happening with this organization. I mean, forget even being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, they are barely a playoff contender at this point.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

First, this next comment is not directed towards you. It is shocking to me how many people don't understand how a rebuild works, and how today's generation of Pittsburgh sports fan loves mediocrity and continually pointing to "but they did this 10 years ago."

I realize Dubas is never going to come out and say he's moving Jake...but I don't think he's going to move him no matter what. And when I look at the risk/reward, I just don't see how keeping Jake for the rest of this year and very possibly losing him this summer for nothing is the best option of the team moving forward. This team isn't winning the Cup. All keeping Jake this year does is give the team a false sense of hope.

There are 3 outcomes with Jake:

1) You trade him for younger assets
2) You sign him to a long-term extension
3) You let him walk at seasons end for nothing

Those are the outcomes, in order, of what should happen. Trading him while his value is through the roof is the right move, but if they don't do that, then just sign him now. Don't prefer that option, but he can still be traded in a year or two (just for less return with the higher cap hit). Letting him walk for nothing is just plain bad.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:15 am
Wyopen wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:39 am Just think, if they sign Jake they will still have the dubious honor of being the oldest team in sports history.
Fixed it for you
I can count on you! 👍
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Coffey Break wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:50 am
Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:41 am

Yep you're probably right (I was giving the organization more credit then I should have in terms of realizing when it's not happening this year). I'm firmly on team "Trade Jake" no matter what but those are the only 2 plausible things I could see happening with this organization. I mean, forget even being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, they are barely a playoff contender at this point.
I just don't see a downside of trading Jake but a huge downside in keeping him. Getting 3 assets will at worse create competition for other prospects to hopefully improve them and at best change the dynamic of the team entirely. Probably somewhere in the middle. Resigning Jake is a mistake unless he settles for 3-4 years (which why would he?). You don't build around a mid 30s Jake once the core is gone and his cap hit won't be beneficial to the Penguins.
Dsmit570

Post by Dsmit570 »

Honestly, i'd personally love to see Jake get signed long term. He is a solid player and plays well night in and night out.
I would like to see him have his own line though... Move DOC up to first line to run with Crosby.
Bump Malkin to 3rd line as he gets slower and older and put a young fast center on second with Jake.
Cap space after next season is going to ease up and allow for the signing of Jake.
We just need to make some moves to survive for the next year.

As far as cap and making money moves.... and making the team younger and faster...

(30) Deal Rakell out to the highest bidder to clear some cap
(32) Riley Smith will be gone next year at the latest
(39) Carter is done after this year
(34) Eller could go either way after next season
For the price tag- I honestly wouldn't mind seeing (33) EK getting dealt back out and (27) Petterson extended...
Trade Jarry out and bring in a vet backup (MAF?) to shape Ned
Jeff Petry dead cap will be gone after next season

The EK part is obviously not really feasible since the GMs have been passing out NMCs like candy...
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:59 am

First, this next comment is not directed towards you. It is shocking to me how many people don't understand how a rebuild works, and how today's generation of Pittsburgh sports fan loves mediocrity and continually pointing to "but they did this 10 years ago."

I realize Dubas is never going to come out and say he's moving Jake...but I don't think he's going to move him no matter what. And when I look at the risk/reward, I just don't see how keeping Jake for the rest of this year and very possibly losing him this summer for nothing is the best option of the team moving forward. This team isn't winning the Cup. All keeping Jake this year does is give the team a false sense of hope.

Those are the outcomes, in order, of what should happen. Trading him while his value is through the roof is the right move, but if they don't do that, then just sign him now. Don't prefer that option, but he can still be traded in a year or two (just for less return with the higher cap hit). Letting him walk for nothing is just plain bad.
I agree with all of this - just poor asset management (which has become the norm - not the exception - around these parts). And while I know you didn't direct your comment at me, I should have prefaced in my original post that those 2 scenarios are what I see as the likeliest outcomes from the organization's POV. I 100% think they need to trade him for assets that allow for a little of a re-tool. I say re-tool because you still have your high-end players playing at a high-level. It's about supporting them with the right infusion of skill and talent (which has not happened in 5 years). It would be great to be able to flip some of the current assets for different types of skills/speed that this team requires - those current assets include: Guentzel, Rust, Graves, Eller, Smith, Rakell maybe. Everything is just way too stale with this organization.

And one last thing to be cognizant of in terms of "rebuilding" - there is a fine line between stock-piling prospects/youth vs. a set of generational talents. In other words, a rebuild like the ones the Pens orchestrated in early 2000s is never a guarantee. And winning championships after a successful rebuild is even less likely a guarantee (see: Edmonton).
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Dsmit570 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:33 am Honestly, i'd personally love to see Jake get signed long term. He is a solid player and plays well night in and night out.
I would like to see him have his own line though... Move DOC up to first line to run with Crosby.
Bump Malkin to 3rd line as he gets slower and older and put a young fast center on second with Jake.
Cap space after next season is going to ease up and allow for the signing of Jake.
We just need to make some moves to survive for the next year.

As far as cap and making money moves.... and making the team younger and faster...

(30) Deal Rakell out to the highest bidder to clear some cap
(32) Riley Smith will be gone next year at the latest
(39) Carter is done after this year
(34) Eller could go either way after next season
For the price tag- I honestly wouldn't mind seeing (33) EK getting dealt back out and (27) Petterson extended...
Trade Jarry out and bring in a vet backup (MAF?) to shape Ned
Jeff Petry dead cap will be gone after next season

The EK part is obviously not really feasible since the GMs have been passing out NMCs like candy...
Jake has not really been a driver of play on his own, IIRC.
We don't have a young center to play 2C, and we don't have the assets to get one...unless we are moving Jake.
There's nothing wrong with moving DOC up in the lineup. He's finally starting to show a bit more of what he did a World Championships.
Smith and Eller are both under contract next season. I think both could be moved...but I'm not certain just opening cap space will be enough to fill the holes.

X-Eller-Acciari would be a very solid 4th line for us next season. I'd love to see some combination of Poulin as 3C with Puljujarvi or Puustinen on that line, and then maybe a skilled vet.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Coffey Break wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:13 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:59 am

I agree with all of this - just poor asset management (which has become the norm - not the exception - around these parts). And while I know you didn't direct your comment at me, I should have prefaced in my original post that those 2 scenarios are what I see as the likeliest outcomes from the organization's POV. I 100% think they need to trade him for assets that allow for a little of a re-tool. I say re-tool because you still have your high-end players playing at a high-level. It's about supporting them with the right infusion of skill and talent (which has not happened in 5 years). It would be great to be able to flip some of the current assets for different types of skills/speed that this team requires - those current assets include: Guentzel, Rust, Graves, Eller, Smith, Rakell maybe. Everything is just way too stale with this organization.

And one last thing to be cognizant of in terms of "rebuilding" - there is a fine line between stock-piling prospects/youth vs. a set of generational talents. In other words, a rebuild like the ones the Pens orchestrated in early 2000s is never a guarantee. And winning championships after a successful rebuild is even less likely a guarantee (see: Edmonton).
Lemieux>>>Jagr>>>Crosby/Malkin

This organization is LONG overdue for a long period without a generational talent. And what I am seeing online is a lot of people that don't want to trade Jake, want to just clear cap space and magically add skilled 25/26 year olds onto this team. Many don't seem to understand that you either need to be really bad to get those top 5 picks, or you're going to float along in sub-mediocrity until you do.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

This is the other facet of the Jake riddle no one has mentioned yet: This team IS fighting for a payoff spot.

By the trade deadline, if they are still in the mix, how does it affect the team if you move out their top scorer? That to me sends a message that management does not have faith in the rest of the team.

So, I don't think it is a question of "you move Jake no matter what to get assets." There is a fine line you have to navigate in the decision process. We all know teams like to have that playoff revenue, even if it is one round.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:37 pm This is the other facet of the Jake riddle no one has mentioned yet: This team IS fighting for a payoff spot.

By the trade deadline, if they are still in the mix, how does it affect the team if you move out their top scorer? That to me sends a message that management does not have faith in the rest of the team.

So, I don't think it is a question of "you move Jake no matter what to get assets." There is a fine line you have to navigate in the decision process. We all know teams like to have that playoff revenue, even if it is one round.
Depends on the return really. The Vancouver scenario discussed on (I think?) this thread is the perfect type of return. Mid 20s = win now. Prospect = possibly help today, win tomorrow. Draft pick = life after Crosby.

If they get a bunch of future assets it'll look bad, unless they use one of those assets brings Jake's younger replacement.

Bottom line they need the appearance of a legit hockey trade knowing they'll likely lose Jake after this season.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I think pretty much everyone posting here understands what a true rebuild looks like (I assume most of us are old enough to have been fans through the X Generation marketing campaign). From my perspective, though, the team's ownership and management has shown zero inclination to engage in a true rebuild anytime soon. If they're at all still in the hunt for a playoff, I can't see them dealing Guentzel, even if that means they lose him for nothing in the summer.

It might not be what I would do, but I find it really unlikely that Dubas does anything else.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:19 pm

This organization is LONG overdue for a long period without a generational talent. And what I am seeing online is a lot of people that don't want to trade Jake, want to just clear cap space and magically add skilled 25/26 year olds onto this team. Many don't seem to understand that you either need to be really bad to get those top 5 picks, or you're going to float along in sub-mediocrity until you do.
It's actually shocking when you reflect on the fact that this team has arguably had the best, or one of the best, players in the league for 40 years. Without digging too deeply into it, I would say it's unprecedented since the '67 expansion.

And, I'm afraid you're right... what would be the odds that we get a top 5 pick when another Mario of Jags or Sid appears in that draft? Slim to none, I'm thinking.

There's probably a whole new paradigm coming to the Pittsburgh Penguins once Sid finally does age out...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Pitts wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:37 pm This is the other facet of the Jake riddle no one has mentioned yet: This team IS fighting for a payoff spot.

Without any intention of being pedantic, there does seem to be an element of EA SPORTS NHL 24 in some of the comments that favor trading Jake regardless of the scenario...

There are several elements to management - there is financial management; there is asset management, there is personnel management; etc. Where it may seem a "no brainer" to trade Jake for a pick/prospect/player, there is also the impact to the existing team that kind of move would have.

It's not an easy job, and there is no science to it. A good manager not only weighs these considerations, but investigates them, reflects, then makes his decisions accordingly.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Guinness wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:53 pm

It's actually shocking when you reflect on the fact that this team has arguably had the best, or one of the best, players in the league for 40 years. Without digging too deeply into it, I would say it's unprecedented since the '67 expansion.

And, I'm afraid you're right... what would be the odds that we get a top 5 pick when another Mario of Jags or Sid appears in that draft? Slim to none, I'm thinking.

There's probably a whole new paradigm coming to the Pittsburgh Penguins once Sid finally does age out...
One big difference in any past Pens team ownership. We now have an ownership team with crazy deep pockets and an agenda to win. I don't think it may be as bleak as some of us think because ownership should keep the Pens as a full-cap team. They should keep spending to the limit, so they will buy talent as needed.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Guinness wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:03 pm

Without any intention of being pedantic, there does seem to be an element of EA SPORTS NHL 24 in some of the comments that favor trading Jake regardless of the scenario...

There are several elements to management - there is financial management; there is asset management, there is personnel management; etc. Where it may seem a "no brainer" to trade Jake for a pick/prospect/player, there is also the impact to the existing team that kind of move would have.

It's not an easy job, and there is no science to it. A good manager not only weighs these considerations, but investigates them, reflects, then makes his decisions accordingly.
Good points. There are a lot of moving parts and variables in the Jake situation. This team has had star players walk at the end of a season before, but I'm not sure when the last time that's happened with the team in the state that it is today, which is 1-3 years away from a major decline.

Do the Penguins want to pay Jake's cost? Does Jake think we are enough of a contender to want to re-sign here? What would trading Jake do to team morale? All very good questions with easy answers.

I do think there are a few scenarios (and I don't know how realistically possible they are) where they trade Jake and still get a very good asset in return that offsets his loss to some degree. Trevor Zegras is the biggest one that comes to mind, if the Ducks want to move him, and if we had the assets (directly our through a 3rd team and a Jake trade) to acquire him.

If Dubas says "Look, we tried to make things work with Jake, but we were too far apart on term and $$. We thought adding Trevor, a very good 22 year old offensive player was the best move for us this year and moving forward," can the team really be that mad that Jake was traded?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:12 pm

One big difference in any past Pens team ownership. We now have an ownership team with crazy deep pockets and an agenda to win. I don't think it may be as bleak as some of us think because ownership should keep the Pens as a full-cap team. They should keep spending to the limit, so they will buy talent as needed.
True, but chasing talent through UFA and trade, without drafting and developing doesn't really work. Ask the mid-90's New York Rangers, who bought every player under the sun and through them together in a big pot and found they had no chemistry...just a really big price tag.

In today's NHL, it's next to impossible to win the Cup without some good, home grown star talent.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:18 pm

True, but chasing talent through UFA and trade, without drafting and developing doesn't really work. Ask the mid-90's New York Rangers, who bought every player under the sun and through them together in a big pot and found they had no chemistry...just a really big price tag.

In today's NHL, it's next to impossible to win the Cup without some good, home grown star talent.
Just to add, sometimes high priced leadership can be high priced because they've been around awhile. That means the team can constantly have leadership that has failed elsewhere rather than young and innovative. I don't think Dubas necessarily falls into that category but the point is that a lot of money spent on management and leadership doesn't always equal quality, just ask most teams John Tortorella coaches.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:18 pm

I would agree. But on teams past, they never had the money to supplement the youngsters with a "superstar" if needed. What if in 4-5 years the team has some good young players going on and they are able to "buy" a (in the prime) Matthew Tkachuk and a Kris Letang with the available cap space? Players that might help push the team over the top (back into playoffs). Maybe it's just the forever optimist in me. :)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Does anyone recall a similar situation where a team who is a playoff contender traded one of their best players because of his pending UFA status?

I can't think of any really. Horvat the Canucks were re-tooling last season. Rangers traded McDonagh etc. but they were re-tooling as well. The Blues let their captain Pietrangelo leave to Vegas as a UFA. Point is I think teams let players walk and view the cap space as the asset more than trading in season. It's still a business, owners want to make the playoffs and trading one of your best players is hard to sell to some of the fan base during the season, when you are in the thick of a race.

Not saying I agree with this approach, but it's the most common route taken.

Only way I see the Pens moving on from Jake is if he flat-out says he's not re-signing.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:43 pm Does anyone recall a similar situation where a team who is a playoff contender traded one of their best players because of his pending UFA status?

I can't think of any really. Horvat the Canucks were re-tooling last season. Rangers traded McDonagh etc. but they were re-tooling as well. The Blues let their captain Pietrangelo leave to Vegas as a UFA. Point is I think teams let players walk and view the cap space as the asset more than trading in season. It's still a business, owners want to make the playoffs and trading one of your best players is hard to sell to some of the fan base during the season, when you are in the thick of a race.

Not saying I agree with this approach, but it's the most common route taken.

Only way I see the Pens moving on from Jake is if he flat-out says he's not re-signing.
You're right. I can't recall anyone really trading a big star at the deadline unless they got another big star in return. But, I also don't know of many situations where a team was clearly at their run and in that situation. You could look at Boston, but for Krejci and Bergeron, I think they knew it was re-sign in Boston or retire.

I don't think Dubas will move him. The morale factor to the team will be

But what if Jake says I want to test the market? I may re-sign here but I want to see what other offers are out there. Is that close enough to the same as Jake saying he flat out won't re-sign? That brings up the trade him, get assets, and then go after him again in UFA. Taylor Haase was saying today that she doesn't think the Penguins would go much higher than 9M. So what do you do if Jake demands 10M firm, and that's out of your range to fill out next year's roster?

Just so, so many variables to consider in this situation.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Dom/The Athletic has Jake with a market value of 11M. Even with the possibility of a "hometown discount," you have to figure anything less than 9M isn't happening even with a 8yr deal.

Dubas is in a rough spot if he can't get the agent to talk about an extension right now because I doubt he'll trade Jake when the Pens are likely going to be fighting for a WC spot at the end of the regular season. If the Pens were where the Sens or Sabres are, it would be an easy call to trade him, but I don't see the Pens falling off that badly or any of the teams they are contending with for the WC spot getting much better either so it will be a logjam for the WC spots.

Dubas can be very loose with owner money and signed Tavares to a ridiculous 7/77M deal back in 2018(!!) so maybe he goes all-in on Jake with a similar contract to avert losing him for nothing. We'll see....I'm thinking he doesn't get traded and likely exits in FA to a better contender
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Therein is the issue.

Tight purse string in the past.

Spendthrift in the current.

Corporate Penguins is the future. Be damned the young; buy the Cup.

(Sidebar attempt of reality after work). :pop:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Good article by Taylor on the Jake situation.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024 ... adline-tlh