Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

I don't think the Pens are going to be so far down in the standings that they will be labeled sellers come deadline time. What if we are #3 in the metro. Do you still try to trade Jake? Really a tough call. I'm sure Dubas knows by now what Jake is looking for contract wise.

Talk about a re-tool on the fly! Really curious how this plays out.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

I’m not an expert on cap space, but how are the Pens going to sign Jake for 9-10/yr when they will only have 13 players signed for 2024. The cap goes up to 87-88M with approximately 70M already committed. That leaves 17M. If Jake signs for 10, how in the heck are they going to sign seven players for seven million. Correct me if I’m wrong please. How is this going to work? Thanks in advance.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Wyopen wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:08 pm I’m not an expert on cap space, but how are the Pens going to sign Jake for 9-10/yr when they will only have 13 players signed for 2024. The cap goes up to 87-88M with approximately 70M already committed. That leaves 17M. If Jake signs for 10, how in the heck are they going to sign seven players for seven million. Correct me if I’m wrong please. How is this going to work? Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure how it all shakes out, but the only UFAs they would resign, it would seem, are Nedeljkovic and Guentzel. Harkins, Carter, Ruhwedel and Zohorna are all UFAs that I'm sure they'll let walk. The rest of the roster, assuming it basically stays status quo, is already signed for next year.
Poulin replaces Carter, Ludvig replaces Ruhwedel, we re-sign Nedeljkovic for 2 years, leaving Jake as the only wildcard in terms of how much we need to spend to keep him. You would think that Nedeljkovic probably would re-sign if he gets bumped back up to what he was earning on his previous contract.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

dark_forces wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:28 pm
Wyopen wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:08 pm I’m not an expert on cap space, but how are the Pens going to sign Jake for 9-10/yr when they will only have 13 players signed for 2024. The cap goes up to 87-88M with approximately 70M already committed. That leaves 17M. If Jake signs for 10, how in the heck are they going to sign seven players for seven million. Correct me if I’m wrong please. How is this going to work? Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure how it all shakes out, but the only UFAs they would resign, it would seem, are Nedeljkovic and Guentzel. Harkins, Carter, Ruhwedel and Zohorna are all UFAs that I'm sure they'll let walk. The rest of the roster, assuming it basically stays status quo, is already signed for next year.
Poulin replaces Carter, Ludvig replaces Ruhwedel, we re-sign Nedeljkovic for 2 years, leaving Jake as the only wildcard in terms of how much we need to spend to keep him. You would think that Nedeljkovic probably would re-sign if he gets bumped back up to what he was earning on his previous contract.
I recently read an article, can't recall where right now, but it basically said that if the Pens play their cards right, they could end up with almost $20 mil in cap space this summer! I think that was dependent on Jake signing a cap-friendly deal around $8 mil per (leaving around $12-13 mil available)
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

KG wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:29 pm BuckFoston
@BuckFoston_
Dhaliwal says the cost of Jake Guentzel is a 1st rounder, a top prospect, and a player.

This is the Vancouver guy. Don't know how credible he is. But if that's out there then maybe Jake will get moved. Could get a nice haul for him.
Höglander could be the player but would also want a strong prospect - even then it might be better to let it ride 1 last time.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

If now Smith is out for longer time, I would really want to see Poulin with big boys! Give him a chance..
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Flyers need to stop winning already . That is all
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Maestro wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:04 pm
@BuckFoston_
Dhaliwal says the cost of Jake Guentzel is a 1st rounder, a top prospect, and a player.

This is the Vancouver guy. Don't know how credible he is. But if that's out there then maybe Jake will get moved. Could get a nice haul for him.
Höglander could be the player but would also want a strong prospect - even then it might be better to let it ride 1 last time.
I'm 100 percent in on trading Guentzel IF you can get a buy low replacement like Bunting.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:58 pm
Maestro wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:04 pm
@BuckFoston_

I'm 100 percent in on trading Guentzel IF you can get a buy low replacement like Bunting.
Short term I think the only difference between Jake and no Jake is how good San Jose’s Penguins 1st round pick is, but trading him makes the future less horrible.

That said, as long as the Penguins are within reach of possibly being in reach of maybe being a playoff team the Penguins will act like this is 2015 again and not only keep Jake but think they can sign him.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Great. The Monday home game against Seattle is now scheduled for 1:00 PM because of the stupid football game at 4:30. Feel bad for those with tickets and JOBS.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens recalled Colin White. Shea sent down.

White deserves the recall. Seems like he’s been solid in WBS. Can play center as well.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Anyone want to guess how much a ticket to the Jagr retirement game next month for section Sec 102, Row F is going for? Spoiler alert: It's ridiculously high.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/pittsburgh ... ?landing=c
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Graves back with Karlsson at practice. Don't blame them. They can't pay Graves this kind of money to play with Chad for too long. Acciari also back at practice.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Sams_Dog wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:19 pm Anyone want to guess how much a ticket to the Jagr retirement game next month for section Sec 102, Row F is going for? Spoiler alert: It's ridiculously high.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/pittsburgh ... ?landing=c
I have tickets to that game! Section 216, though.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

As it should be! Jagr, despite how he went out is still a very very important part of this franchise. What an awesome opportunity to pay one’s respects! I had him ranked higher than Crosby just below Lemieux as best best Penguin.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pensfan4life8771 »

Any news on pool party? Would love to see him in front of net at this point for us.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Pensfan4life8771 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:45 pm Any news on pool party? Would love to see him in front of net at this point for us.
4 Games 0 points in WBS. He'll fit right in with our bottom 6
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:18 pm
Pensfan4life8771 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:45 pm Any news on pool party? Would love to see him in front of net at this point for us.
Ask and you shall receive. He just scored a goal for WBS within the past 2 minutes. WBS was down 2-0, and Butcher and Puljujarvi scored each scored a goal within a few minutes of each other. Butcher was standing stationary in front of the net, did a little stick handle and beat Malcolm Subban. Butcher could have also passed to a wide open Pool Party on the left side of the next.

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:18 pm
Ask and you shall receive. He just scored a goal for WBS within the past 2 minutes. WBS was down 2-0, and Butcher and Puljujarvi scored each scored a goal within a few minutes of each other. Butcher was standing stationary in front of the net, did a little stick handle and beat Malcolm Subban. Butcher could have also passed to a wide open Pool Party on the left side of the next.

Nice snipe. Sign him
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Poulin with a goal in now 4 straight. Get him and pool party up.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

KG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:50 pm Poulin with a goal in now 4 straight. Get him and pool party up.
Puljujarvi does not have an NHL contract, nor has he yet demonstrated he deserves one, so it's not a matter of calling him up. Poulin, however, probably deserves a look.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sigwolf wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:30 pm
KG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:50 pm Poulin with a goal in now 4 straight. Get him and pool party up.
Puljujarvi does not have an NHL contract, nor has he yet demonstrated he deserves one, so it's not a matter of calling him up. Poulin, however, probably deserves a look.
I know Puljujarvi isn’t signed yet. If he continues to progress give him a minimum contract.

Poulin up for White or Z.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:35 pm
I know Puljujarvi isn’t signed yet. If he continues to progress give him a minimum contract.

Gimme the 3P 3rd line - Puustinen-Poulin-Puljujarvi, with Harkins-Ellers-Acciari as the 4th line.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:35 pm
KG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:35 pm

Gimme the 3P 3rd line - Puustinen-Poulin-Puljujarvi, with Harkins-Ellers-Acciari as the 4th line.
If Poulin and Puljujarvi are strong enough to play 3rd line minutes, that would be a nice young line. Puljuajarvi is only 25 still. He could be a solid bottom 6 type of player for us. Like his size and speed as well.