Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Badger Bob »

NFL officiating is pure garbage as well.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wouldn't be surprised if Dubas looks to make a hockey trade and swap out Smith for another top 6 forward with a similar contract. He just doesn't fit in. He left his heart in Vegas with the rest of the original misfits. On pace for 18 goals. Doesn't provide any physicality to be noticed when he's not scoring.

Not sure who is out there as a potential hockey trade, but I would look to make an improvement there.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:40 am Wouldn't be surprised if Dubas looks to make a hockey trade and swap out Smith for another top 6 forward with a similar contract. He just doesn't fit in. He left his heart in Vegas with the rest of the original misfits. On pace for 18 goals. Doesn't provide any physicality to be noticed when he's not scoring.

Not sure who is out there as a potential hockey trade, but I would look to make an improvement there.
Took a look at players with similar term (1 more year) between 3-5M. Only real potential players I saw would be Yegor Sharangovich or Frank Vatrano. Any others are on playoff teams and aren't likely to be moved.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Ludwig to IR Shea recalled
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Take the Body Shoot the Puck »

Shea in for Graves please.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Skatingpen wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:30 am Ludwig to IR Shea recalled
Just saw Sullivan states Ludvig is going to be out longer term. He also said yesterday that Nieto is still going to be out awhile.

Finally, it Sullivan said Puljujarvi is beginning to become more involved in Penguins practices and said there will be "more plans moving forward."
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

It looks like Nylander is working on a 8 x 11.25M -

Nylander is 1 year and 7 months younger than Jake.
Nylander has 480 points in 556 career games.
Jake has 456 points in 489 career games.

I would agree with others that say Jake's next contract will be less than Nylander's BUT I would say it is going to be a LOT LOT more than 8M which has been speculated. The difference in age and stats is not 3.25M but more like 1.25M

Trading Jake seems like it is going to be more and more of a possibility than ever.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I see LA just waived Tobias Bjornfot D man. 2019 1st round pick, 19th overall. Waived...Makes me not get too excited about rebuilding or re-tooling and dealing Jake for a late 1st round pick and prospect that won't work under Sully.

I don't know what the answer with Jake is but unless it's an overpay, I'm not sure if we just keep him and view him as our "rental" and see what happens July 1.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:46 pm It looks like Nylander is working on a 8 x 11.25M -

I would agree with others that say Jake's next contract will be less than Nylander's BUT I would say it is going to be a LOT LOT more than 8M which has been speculated. The difference in age and stats is not 3.25M but more like 1.25M

Trading Jake seems like it is going to be more and more of a possibility than ever.
I don't think Jake will get Nylander money. Wonder if there is a little cost of living in Canada tax their in that AAV. Also I think Jakes number will be less because teams can point to that he's never played away from Sid. How will he do if he goes to play for say Seattle and Yanne Gourde is his center?

I think if Jake wants to stay here, he will stay for a similar contract to what Horvat got last season. $8.5-$9.0Mill.

Very interested to see how this all plays out.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:18 am
KG wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:40 am Wouldn't be surprised if Dubas looks to make a hockey trade and swap out Smith for another top 6 forward with a similar contract. He just doesn't fit in. He left his heart in Vegas with the rest of the original misfits. On pace for 18 goals. Doesn't provide any physicality to be noticed when he's not scoring.

Took a look at players with similar term (1 more year) between 3-5M. Only real potential players I saw would be Yegor Sharangovich or Frank Vatrano. Any others are on playoff teams and aren't likely to be moved.
Vatrano is a guy I've longed hoped to acquire. He can play on any line and should be at least a 15+ goal scorer. He also seems to play with emotion and raises his game in the playoffs. I wish we would've acquired him last year instead of Granlund.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:01 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:18 am

Vatrano is a guy I've longed hoped to acquire. He can play on any line and should be at least a 15+ goal scorer. He also seems to play with emotion and raises his game in the playoffs. I wish we would've acquired him last year instead of Granlund.
Yeah, he's always been a Penguin killer, and I think several people here have wanted to acquire him. He's already got 17 goals on the season.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

emarzock wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:15 pm Noticed that Pens practice schedule isn't posted for January. Can somebody say what their practice schedule is for tomorrow (Wednesday) and/or Thursday?
My apologies. The practice schedule has been updated. Dealing with Covid... :thumbdown:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:46 pm It looks like Nylander is working on a 8 x 11.25M -

I'm sorry, but $11.25M (and for 8 years) is seriously INSANE money. Jake at $8M for 5 years, yeah.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Taj
@taj1944
Dhaliwal basically confirming Canucks will be interested in Guentzel if he becomes available.

Canucks are on his no trade list but Dhaliwal doesn't think that will be an issue and he will waive.

Price is going to be really high if he becomes available.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:59 pm Taj
@taj1944
Dhaliwal basically confirming Canucks will be interested in Guentzel if he becomes available.

Canucks are on his no trade list but Dhaliwal doesn't think that will be an issue and he will waive.

While she's just a reporter, Taylor Haase was saying that she doesn't think the Penguins will move Guentzel. Worst case, he's an "own rental" and they let him walk this summer. That would be the WORST.DECISION.EVER!!!!

A team about to rebuild cannot be letting an asset of that value, particularly its only high value asset, walk for nothing.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:31 pm
@taj1944

While she's just a reporter, Taylor Haase was saying that she doesn't think the Penguins will move Guentzel. Worst case, he's an "own rental" and they let him walk this summer. That would be the WORST.DECISION.EVER!!!!

A team about to rebuild cannot be letting an asset of that value, particularly its only high value asset, walk for nothing.
That would be a very bad decision. The Penguins aren't in a position to get a rental whether it's an "own rental' or giving up assets. The reality is if they keep Jake they're still giving up getting assets.

This franchise is in such denial it's unbelievable. This is barely a playoff team let alone a cup contender.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:55 pm
@taj1944

That would be a very bad decision. The Penguins aren't in a position to get a rental whether it's an "own rental' or giving up assets. The reality is if they keep Jake they're still giving up getting assets.

This franchise is in such denial it's unbelievable. This is barely a playoff team let alone a cup contender.
I heard second hand that on the GM show today, Dubas said something to the effect that, with the age of our team, we know we aren't going to have our best every night and there are going to be games like that....

That sounds like somebody realizes...but do they want to do something about it?

Vancouver and Edmonton would both be in big-time on Jake. I saw an article the other day from an Edmonton writer that he'd be a big missing piece for the Oilers, and that they could offer a 1st round pick and Phillip Broberg. I'm not overwhelmed by Broberg, as he is 22, Edmonton's defense isn't great, and he's still sitting in the minors. Broberg at this point isn't high enough of a prospect for Jake.

Vancouver, I haven't heard any packages offered, but if we went same route of 1st overall pick and high prospect, I don't see them being able to blow us away either. Hoglander is finally putting up some points, but a 1st and Hoglander wouldn't be enough for me either. Throw in a 2nd with that, and maybe I'd do it.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:42 pm
@taj1944

I heard second hand that on the GM show today, Dubas said something to the effect that, with the age of our team, we know we aren't going to have our best every night and there are going to be games like that....

Vancouver and Edmonton would both be in big-time on Jake. I saw an article the other day from an Edmonton writer that he'd be a big missing piece for the Oilers, and that they could offer a 1st round pick and Phillip Broberg. I'm not overwhelmed by Broberg, as he is 22, Edmonton's defense isn't great, and he's still sitting in the minors. Broberg at this point isn't high enough of a prospect for Jake.

Vancouver, I haven't heard any packages offered, but if we went same route of 1st overall pick and high prospect, I don't see them being able to blow us away either. Hoglander is finally putting up some points, but a 1st and Hoglander wouldn't be enough for me either. Throw in a 2nd with that, and maybe I'd do it.
I have a feeling they’re riding it out until the trio retires and hope they get another cup during that time. No effort to really improve anything and will wait until 2028-29 (when Rust and Letang are gone) to do anything but hope and pray. I can honestly see Crosby getting a 3 year contract, Malkin with a 2, so the 3 of them can retire together. I can imagine Dubas is going to want Jake for 4 years so they know they’ll be the Arizona Coyotes afterward.

Problem is, it took the Red Wings what 15 years to almost be in the playoff discussion using that method. I can see the Penguins being relevant again about 2040 or longer because they didn’t learn from Detroits failures.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:50 pm
@taj1944

I have a feeling they’re riding it out until the trio retires and hope they get another cup during that time. No effort to really improve anything and will wait until 2028-29 (when Rust and Letang are gone) to do anything but hope and pray. I can honestly see Crosby getting a 3 year contract, Malkin with a 2, so the 3 of them can retire together. I can imagine Dubas is going to want Jake for 4 years so they know they’ll be the Arizona Coyotes afterward.

Problem is, it took the Red Wings what 15 years to almost be in the playoff discussion using that method. I can see the Penguins being relevant again about 2040 or longer because they didn’t learn from Detroits failures.
I wonder if anyone in the organization realizes how much damage they risk doing to their business. I've been a fan since I was 7 or 8 years old, a few years before Lemieux was drafted...and I'm barely paying attention anymore.

I would much rather see this team totally stink for 2-3 years while it signs UFAs, flips them for picks, weaponize cap space, accumulate more picks, and start drafting and developing the next generation. Instead, this organization is trying so desperately to hold onto hopes and dreams that this aging core can win one more Cup. All of them have to retire Penguins, on-ice product be damned. Sullivan and this team blew the last 5 years...which was their last true chance at Cup #4. Now the team, apparently unknowingly, risks tarnishing the cores legacy by keeping them here forever, refusing to rebuild, and keep sending out a substandard product.

I love Sid, Geno, and Tanger...but it's the logo on the front not the names on the back. Drive away your older fans by beating the dead horse of "one more for the Core" and "lifelong Penguins," which in turn means older fans stop passing down going to and watching hockey games, which ends up effecting the Penguins future bottom line when they finally do ice the next generation of talent.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

"I wonder if anyone in the organization realizes how much damage they risk doing to their business. I've been a fan since I was 7 or 8 years old, a few years before Lemieux was drafted...and I'm barely paying attention anymore."

Same. I will always be a fan, but my interest level over the past few years has definitely declined. The truth is, its fun to watch young kids come in and overachieve. We have not had that in years.

"I love Sid, Geno, and Tanger...but it's the logo on the front not the names on the back."

Well I think you can have both. Especially with the contracts that Tanger and Geno signed. Now, if they are the kind of players who are not ok with rebuilding then I would be ok with trading them. But I have not seen anything that would indicate that they would act that way.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

What was the point of going after Kyle Dubas and letting him run the show if all he's going to do is sit on his hands and *hope* that this group can miraculously win another Cup before the wheels finally fall off? We're like halfway through the season, and this team is showing to be a fringe playoff team. I think Dubas HAS to leverage his assets at every opportunity. The Jake situation is prob the best example. Unless he really wants to be a Pen and takes a discount, Dubas would be stupid to let him walk for nothing after this season. Instead, if he's truly a wiz of a GM, Dubas should play these teams against each other to get as much in return as possible for Guentzel. Doing nothing isn't going to get it done. The Pens need to realize that they can't control father time, but they can at least a little bit control how long and arduous the rebuild is. I'd also prefer receiving a legit prospect or two in return for Jake. I don't want a draft pick from a Cup contender which is a gamble at best at that point in the first round.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

@taj1944

Letting him walk for 0 is only slightly better than signing him at what it will cost... As part of the "trade the core" team around here, I fully expect them to chose one of the 2 terrible options.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I go either way when it comes to Jake. When they are on their little runs and playing well, I'm on the sign him train. When they look like garbage I'm on the sell him to the highest bidder and commence a re-tool on the fly.

I do think that Dubas can do a re-tool and not a rebuild if he plays his cards right. Boston is the prime example. They re-tooled their team, they also play a defense first system, which is something this team has never done or been asked to do.

I hope they don't let Jake walk at the end of the season. I get that you have your own rental approach, but our cupboards are bare. If they could trade Jake for an established younger top 6 forward, top prospect and 1st round pick, I would say you have to do it. Then you can use your Jake and Carter money that's off the books (over $9mill) in free agency/trades to fill in the gaps.

I also wouldn't take trading Jarry off the board either. If Ned keeps this up he could be the guy. He's only 27 etc. Sabres, Devils, Leafs all need goalies. Maybe they can get a nice little haul for Jarry as well? I would definitely entertain that.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024 ... umn-nhl-dk

Good read. Agree with most of his points. Don't like Puus getting reduced minutes. Would love to see more physicality. Acciari is playing too safe of a game. He's better suited at wing, but he could stand to finish a check or two as well.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:32 pm
Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:50 pm

I wonder if anyone in the organization realizes how much damage they risk doing to their business. I've been a fan since I was 7 or 8 years old, a few years before Lemieux was drafted...and I'm barely paying attention anymore.

I would much rather see this team totally stink for 2-3 years while it signs UFAs, flips them for picks, weaponize cap space, accumulate more picks, and start drafting and developing the next generation. Instead, this organization is trying so desperately to hold onto hopes and dreams that this aging core can win one more Cup. All of them have to retire Penguins, on-ice product be damned. Sullivan and this team blew the last 5 years...which was their last true chance at Cup #4. Now the team, apparently unknowingly, risks tarnishing the cores legacy by keeping them here forever, refusing to rebuild, and keep sending out a substandard product.

I love Sid, Geno, and Tanger...but it's the logo on the front not the names on the back. Drive away your older fans by beating the dead horse of "one more for the Core" and "lifelong Penguins," which in turn means older fans stop passing down going to and watching hockey games, which ends up effecting the Penguins future bottom line when they finally do ice the next generation of talent.
Exactly how I feel. The same chronology as well. I used fly out to Pittsburgh and attend a home game once a year or so plus watch them live in other cities closer to me and have watched every game on TV religiously for decades. No more. Now I barely turn the TV on for it most of the time, or often mid game and run in the back ground while making dinner or doing something else. I think there is a less than 1 percent chance they move Jake, simply because it's the right thing to do and this organization has gone from being the standard in the league to being a farcical joke in under 10 years. Will be just yet one more idiotic obvious blunder in what has become an annual cavalcade of stupidity and ****.