Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Southern Fan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:54 pm
Wyopen wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:15 pm Speaking of time to adjust, remember when everyone thought Pettersson was a bust and why did GMJR give him a lucrative extension. People were calling for him to be traded. He needed time to adjust, let’s give Graves the same courtesy.

Peterson wasn't the only guy to take time to settle in, Gonchar and Paul Martin took time too.
And I don’t think anyone was upset when Z. Michalek, Petry and Matheson were traded. And they did okay with other teams post Pens. The same with Gologoski.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

I just don't see Graves' problem as a system fit. He gets pylon'd too frequently one-on-one and loses too many 50/50 puck battles along the wall. The poor attempts at making the smart pass within the zone or clearing can in some part be getting in tune with the system and where teammates are/aren't, but the one-on-one play is alarming. He's got a big point shot that's pretty accurate but isn't really letting it go in Pittsburgh and that I do think he's likely adjusting to the system and being tentative. He's also finding out the hard way that some times when he pinches a forward isn't going to be covering for you near the blueline.

The guy has always been on the low side of PIM's for a dman that sees top-4 minutes, but it's not because he's savvy enough to get away with interference and other infractions, he just doesn't commit them much. He NEEDS to! Letting guys turn you inside-out on their way directly to the net for a high danger chance isn't acceptable. Interfere, grab, trip...anything besides looking like a statue and hoping the goaltender bails you out. Be more like Hal Gill or a Carlo who knows how to obstruct. You have the size to impede players and sometimes the refs are going to call it and sometimes they aren't.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Saw from CapFriendly that Ty Smith was loaned but I can’t see to who or any other details.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:52 am Saw from CapFriendly that Ty Smith was loaned but I can’t see to who or any other details.
I think it was for Canada's Spengler Cup team...

Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Seems like Teddy Blueger is part of a dominant canuck line and has 12 points in 21 games. 40+ point pace so far. Not shabby for yet another guy who seems to be borderline worthless on this team but then...

Definitely has to be the players... one after another after another after another after another...
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

It is often assumed that anyone with eyes can see, alas...
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:53 am
DelPen wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:52 am Saw from CapFriendly that Ty Smith was loaned but I can’t see to who or any other details.
I think it was for Canada's Spengler Cup team...

That’s it. I follow Seth too on Twitter and didn’t have this show up in my feed but did see his retweet of the tweet from CapFriendly. Weird.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Back in the saddle today. Big games against those always pesky Isles. Time to flip the switch! and start winning consistently. Get on a run.

Or not, and become sellers. It can easily go either with this team.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Christmas JOY and fun to all!
With Boxing day vibes, let's beat up on the Isles... on the scoreboard.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Line changes today. Not going to comment since I have nothing positive to say.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:28 pm Line changes today. Not going to comment since I have nothing positive to say.
Dan Kingerski
@TheDanKingerski
Little line change at practice.
O'Connor with Malkin and Smith.
Puustinen with Eller and Zohorna.

Amazing how this lineup turns to a hot mess without Rust in the lineup. It would be nice for Sully to at least try Acciari at wing. Z has been a ghost mostly, let him play 4C.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:28 pm Line changes today. Not going to comment since I have nothing positive to say.
it must suck for you to be a Penguins fan. How completely miserable you and a lot of others are about the Penguins, every little move is micro-analyzed, are you getting a paycheck to do this detailed analysis?? The line changes today in PRACTICE mean very little other than Sully is going to start the game with those changes. The changes could be scrapped 10 minutes into the game. I think what Sully is trying to do get the 2nd and 3rd lines going. maybe Puustinen can get Z going. Maybe O'Connor's forchecking ability can help Geno and Smith. At this point neither line was doing anything, would you rather Sully just leave it alone? This team is what it is...making the playoffs is a reach and actually I would consider it a successful season.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

yinzer69 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:14 pm
Would you rather Sully just leave it alone?
Ding,ding,ding,ding!!!!

This team is what it is...making the playoffs is a reach
Ding,ding,ding,ding!!!!

and actually I would consider it a successful season.
Bar is set extremely low in Pittsburgh sports these days. Tomlin has ruined the Steelers culture and a winning regular season is considered a success.

The Penguins are in the process of writing 2 books under Sullivan...101 excuses for playoff failure, and Thud! Sounds from the twighlight of your generational talents careers.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:22 pm
Ding,ding,ding,ding!!!!

then you would ***** that he isn't making changes right?

Ding,ding,ding,ding!!!!

Then 2 minor leaguers flipping lines isn't going to make a difference.

Bar is set extremely low in Pittsburgh sports these days. Tomlin has ruined the Steelers culture and a winning regular season is considered a success.

The Penguins are in the process of writing 2 books under Sullivan...101 excuses for playoff failure, and Thud! Sounds from the twighlight of your generational talents careers.
I could care less about the Steelers...the NFL is disgusting.

Is it time for Sullivan to go? most likely. I am starting to think it may not even make difference at this point. How many days will it take for you to say wtf is the new coach doing? Or when the PP doesn't improve under a new coach...then what??? Our window ended in 2021 realstically if not before. This is just the struggles of an end of an era (see Detroit after 09 and Chicago after their 3 cups) Even LA was down a couple years but they seem done a good job rebuilding on the fly.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

yinzer69 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:04 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:22 pm
Ding,ding,ding,ding!!!!

then you would ***** that he isn't making changes right?

Ding,ding,ding,ding!!!!

Then 2 minor leaguers flipping lines isn't going to make a difference.

I could care less about the Steelers...the NFL is disgusting.

Is it time for Sullivan to go? most likely. I am starting to think it may not even make difference at this point. How many days will it take for you to say wtf is the new coach doing? Or when the PP doesn't improve under a new coach...then what??? Our window ended in 2021 realstically if not before. This is just the struggles of an end of an era (see Detroit after 09 and Chicago after their 3 cups) Even LA was down a couple years but they seem done a good job rebuilding on the fly.
I think most of the posters here strongly believe the window is closed and the rebuild should be started. Problem seems to be FSG, Dubas, and Sullivan have the rose colored blinders on.

I am all for struggling while we draft and build the next version of this team. I'd much rather sit through those struggles than a half talented, half garbage team that kids itself into thinking it can contend.

A new coach may or may not make a difference. But something needs to give somewhere with this team. If Dubas could tell me a logical reason for delaying a rebuild I'm all ears. I don't see one.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Looking ahead to next season, the Penguins have their top 3 lines set:
Doc, Crosby, Rust
Smith, Geno, Rakell
Nieto, Eller, Acciari
X, X, X
X

They have their defense set as :
MP, EK
Graves, Letang
Ludvig, X
X

Goal is :
Jaryy
X

The projected cap is 87.7M for the 24/25 season which would put the Penguins at approximately 18.2M of available cap space.
I wonder what the plan is for Jake. If they intend on re-signing him or not. I hope that if the answer is not to re-sign him, they trade him so we do not lose him for nothing like Zucker last season. I could see a scenario where Sid agrees to accept less on his new deal IF they re-sign Jake. Sid takes 6M and Jake gets 10M. If Jake got 10M, it would leave approximately 8.2 for the team to sign 3 more forwards and 2 defense and a goalie.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:58 am Looking ahead to next season, the Penguins have their top 3 lines set:
Doc, Crosby, Rust
Smith, Geno, Rakell
Nieto, Eller, Acciari
X, X, X
X

MP, EK
Graves, Letang
Ludvig, X
X

Goal is :
Jaryy
X

The projected cap is 87.7M for the 24/25 season which would put the Penguins at approximately 18.2M of available cap space.
I wonder what the plan is for Jake. If they intend on re-signing him or not. I hope that if the answer is not to re-sign him, they trade him so we do not lose him for nothing like Zucker last season. I could see a scenario where Sid agrees to accept less on his new deal IF they re-sign Jake. Sid takes 6M and Jake gets 10M. If Jake got 10M, it would leave approximately 8.2 for the team to sign 3 more forwards and 2 defense and a goalie.
That has to be the oldest top six or top nine in the league. I would like to get at least two or three players age 24 or younger in there. Can’t do anything about Rust but Rakell if he continues to play well, Smith and no re-signing Jake should help. Nieto-Eller-Acciari is too old but if anything it should be a 4th line. Hopefully the Pens can make some trades for younger players, RFAs etc
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

10M for Jake are you kidding me??? This is approaching Matthews money, almost. Plus I’m assuming this is a NTC contract also. How many years? He’ll be 30 years old when next season starts. So we have 8M to sign six more players. This doesn’t make sense.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Yea, I am not a big fan of re-signing Jake at that kind of money either. But, I do think he will get that kind of money this summer with an ever-increasing salary cap ceiling. I think the most prudent thing to do from an organization's point of view is to trade him for as many young and promising players as possible (and picks). Jake's return could be the beginning of the rebuild.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:58 am Looking ahead to next season, the Penguins have their top 3 lines set:
Doc, Crosby, Rust
Smith, Geno, Rakell
Nieto, Eller, Acciari
X, X, X
X

MP, EK
Graves, Letang
Ludvig, X
X

Goal is :
Jaryy
X

Trade Jake at the deadline.
Trade Nieto at the deadline.
Resign Nedeljkovic.
Find a 3rd pairing RD in UFA.
Find a 15-20 goal, 35-45 point 3rd line winger in UFA.

Weaponize all remaining cap space next year, using it to acquire cap $$$ for picks.

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Smith-Malkin-Puustinen
X-Eller-Acciari
DOC-Gruden-Zohorna

Maybe Yager makes a push to be that 3rd line winger.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:24 pm
Doc, Crosby, Rust
Smith, Geno, Rakell
Nieto, Eller, Acciari
X, X, X
X

MP, EK
Graves, Letang
Ludvig, X
X

Goal is :
Jaryy
X

Trade Jake at the deadline.
Trade Nieto at the deadline.
Resign Nedeljkovic.
Find a 3rd pairing RD in UFA.
Find a 15-20 goal, 35-45 point 3rd line winger in UFA.

Weaponize all remaining cap space next year, using it to acquire cap $$$ for picks.

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Smith-Malkin-Puustinen
X-Eller-Acciari
DOC-Gruden-Zohorna

Maybe Yager makes a push to be that 3rd line winger.
yikes...say good-bye to Crosby after his contract is up if this the 2024-2025 lineup. Glad your not the GM.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Would you?

Huberdeau @5.5M + 2024 1st (Calgary)
for
Jake

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4780109

Try and choke back your initial reaction and think about it before replying.

FYI: Huberdeau is under contract for the next 7.5 years at 10.5M and plays wing. Calgary is currently sitting at 25th in the league.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:42 pm Would you?

for
Jake

FYI: Huberdeau is under contract for the next 7.5 years at 10.5M and plays wing. Calgary is currently sitting at 25th in the league.
No. I wouldn't do that unless Calgary kicked in much, much more. The biggest issue is the # of years Huberdeau has remaining. If it were 2-3 years, yeah, maybe I'd be more willing to consider. But 7 years remaining, with 5 years of full NMC and another 2 years with a 12 team no-trade list...the risk is too great. Maybe he returns to form with a different center, but if he doesn't

For me to take Huberdeau, it would need to be some thing more like:

Jake and Graves for Huberdeau (40% retained), Hanifin, and a 1st round pick (unprotected).

I realize Graves could totally bounce back and look much better next year, but...Graves could also totally continue to suck and be stuck on our roster for 5 more years. If we're going to take on some cap space and risk with Huberdeau, make them take some risk back on their side, too.

Calgary dumps Huberdeau, get's the bonafide scorer they need to replace Tkachuk, and potentially gets a replacement for Hanifin, who likely is not re-signing there.

Pittsburgh gets a sure upgrade on Graves (and a guy they were heavily rumored to want) in Hanifin. They potentially get a solid Guentzel replacement in Huberdeau, if his game can be recovered. I haven't watched enough of Huberdeau in Calgary to know was he just too dependent on Barkov, are Calgary's centers just not the right skill level to make Huberdeau successful, has his play just dropped off a cliff for unknown reasons? I mean, the trade may have been a shock to him, but he signed a long-term deal there...so, I wouldn't think wanting out of Calgary was an issue.

Hanifin replacing Graves would be a HUGE upgrade on the backend. With Huberdeau, if you can get the guy back to even 20-25 goals and 60 points...that would be a win. He doesn't have to be the guy here.

All that said...it probably wouldn't be my preferred option.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:48 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:42 pm Would you?

for
Jake

No. I wouldn't do that unless Calgary kicked in much, much more. The biggest issue is the # of years Huberdeau has remaining. If it were 2-3 years, yeah, maybe I'd be more willing to consider. But 7 years remaining, with 5 years of full NMC and another 2 years with a 12 team no-trade list...the risk is too great. Maybe he returns to form with a different center, but if he doesn't

For me to take Huberdeau, it would need to be some thing more like:

Jake and Graves for Huberdeau (40% retained), Hanifin, and a 1st round pick (unprotected).

I realize Graves could totally bounce back and look much better next year, but...Graves could also totally continue to suck and be stuck on our roster for 5 more years. If we're going to take on some cap space and risk with Huberdeau, make them take some risk back on their side, too.

Calgary dumps Huberdeau, get's the bonafide scorer they need to replace Tkachuk, and potentially gets a replacement for Hanifin, who likely is not re-signing there.

Pittsburgh gets a sure upgrade on Graves (and a guy they were heavily rumored to want) in Hanifin. They potentially get a solid Guentzel replacement in Huberdeau, if his game can be recovered. I haven't watched enough of Huberdeau in Calgary to know was he just too dependent on Barkov, are Calgary's centers just not the right skill level to make Huberdeau successful, has his play just dropped off a cliff for unknown reasons? I mean, the trade may have been a shock to him, but he signed a long-term deal there...so, I wouldn't think wanting out of Calgary was an issue.

Hanifin replacing Graves would be a HUGE upgrade on the backend. With Huberdeau, if you can get the guy back to even 20-25 goals and 60 points...that would be a win. He doesn't have to be the guy here.

All that said...it probably wouldn't be my preferred option.

Holy Smokes. I guess if you are going to ask, you are going to ASK.

Well of course I like this even better. We would be getting a lot more back and dumping as well. But I honestly think you are asking too much here.

I agree on the risk for the Pens. The way I like to look at it from a risk perspective there are essentially 4 outcomes and 3 of them are bad for the Pens and 1 is great for them.
1, After the trade to the Pens, Huberdeau plays worse than he is now
2, After the trade to the Pens, He plays the same as he plays now
3, After the trade to the Pens, He plays as well as he did in Florida
4, He plays somewhere in the middle of where he was in Florida and Calgary.

Only outcome 3 is good for the Pens. All other outcomes suck. So assuming an equal chance at all outcomes, the Pens only have a 25% chance of the trade working out for them.

BUTTTT, if the Penguins want to start taking some gambles. This might be one worth trying. We find a Jake replacement at 5.5M for another 7.5 years AND get a first round pick.

I would be happy with that. If you can finagle even more it is a plus+ as far as I would be concerned.

It is an interesting strategy if you think about it. You take a team who has an otherwise unmovable contract and you take a team with a player almost EVERY other team in the league would want and you select those two teams to try and make a deal work. And in a way, you have a solution that almost seems like is a win/win for both sides.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

I’m going to try a be as rational as possible, I really like the trade FLPF proposed. But I don’t think Calgary would go for it. My ultimate fear is that the Pens will sign Jake to a 6-8yr NMC 8M/yr contract only because he’s Crosby’s buddy. If Jake was 25 instead of 30 at the start of next season I might be for signing him. This “good old boys club” mentality has to stop along with the NMC/NTC contracts.