Dubas presser live stream link - recap

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Dubas presser live stream link - recap

Post by Coffey Break »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:20 am Just remember, Dubas is only an "m" and an "s" away from a Dumbass.
I see what you did here - that is clever :lol:
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Daniel wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:17 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:05 pm
DelPen wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:30 pm This is not a serious team. Top to bottom it’s a **** joke now. It’s like the 3 major sports teams in Pittsburgh are competing to see who can be the most disinterested in actually winning.
Having Sid, Geno, and Letang retire never playing in another uniform is more important to management and ownership than winning. I don't see any other way to explain it....except, looking like this terrible of a team is probably driving the core to think about going to other teams more than any point in their career.

Can Sid extend his frustration bench door slamming to a 3 game streak?
I can see the logic in that, they can market that for the next 2 decades and use it as a source of pride. The issue has never been those three but the wasted cap space of the other players. They refuse to trade guys like Rust and Dumoulin before they’re free agents. Waste assets for Jason Zucker and Derick Brassard.

This team used to be innovative in finding NHL caliber players from the UFDA pool and develop them into capable NHL players. Before anyone says the prospect pool is dry, remember Scott Wilson and Tom Kuhnhackl played over 100 games with the Penguins. I doubt the prospect pool is so bad they can’t replicate what they brought to the team. If nothing else, they brought energy and defense.
Hopefully Puustinen gets a chance to stay up here for awhile. I think he could add some offense beyond the obvious ones who play in the top six. Poulin is another one who should get a shot on the NHL roster. Unfortunately his development has been derailed by his mental health issues last season, and physical injury this season. In a perfect scenario he's the 3C on this team and Eller is the 4C.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I understand why Dubas is deflecting any blame on to him, he's the one with the fat or phat ? :) 7 year contract!

It would be good to see him get a little firm with the team and say current results aren't acceptable etc. Now Sully has the injury bug as the excuse. That's why this team needed to have a strong start to the season, when they were healthy. Yet they spit the bit to a 3-6 start. They weren't ready to start the season, that's coaching.

If this was a one-off sluggish start to the season then yes, Sully deserves the benefit of the doubt. This is not an exception to the rule, this is the norm. Has been for many seasons now.

Feels like Dubas is acquiescing to Sully and the core a lot because they have won cups in the past. I get it, but it can only go so far. It's his team now, his vision. Not Sully's.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

KG wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:50 am I understand why Dubas is deflecting any blame on to him, he's the one with the fat or phat ? :) 7 year contract!

It would be good to see him get a little firm with the team and say current results aren't acceptable etc. Now Sully has the injury bug as the excuse. That's why this team needed to have a strong start to the season, when they were healthy. Yet they spit the bit to a 3-6 start. They weren't ready to start the season, that's coaching.

If this was a one-off sluggish start to the season then yes, Sully deserves the benefit of the doubt. This is not an exception to the rule, this is the norm. Has been for many seasons now.

Feels like Dubas is acquiescing to Sully and the core a lot because they have won cups in the past. I get it, but it can only go so far. It's his team now, his vision. Not Sully's.
This whole press conference was a waste of time. I like Dubas, but this whole dog and pony show was held simply to give a vote of confidence to Sullivan.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

pens_CT wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:47 am
Daniel wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:17 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:05 pm
DelPen wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:30 pm This is not a serious team. Top to bottom it’s a **** joke now. It’s like the 3 major sports teams in Pittsburgh are competing to see who can be the most disinterested in actually winning.
Having Sid, Geno, and Letang retire never playing in another uniform is more important to management and ownership than winning. I don't see any other way to explain it....except, looking like this terrible of a team is probably driving the core to think about going to other teams more than any point in their career.

Can Sid extend his frustration bench door slamming to a 3 game streak?
I can see the logic in that, they can market that for the next 2 decades and use it as a source of pride. The issue has never been those three but the wasted cap space of the other players. They refuse to trade guys like Rust and Dumoulin before they’re free agents. Waste assets for Jason Zucker and Derick Brassard.

This team used to be innovative in finding NHL caliber players from the UFDA pool and develop them into capable NHL players. Before anyone says the prospect pool is dry, remember Scott Wilson and Tom Kuhnhackl played over 100 games with the Penguins. I doubt the prospect pool is so bad they can’t replicate what they brought to the team. If nothing else, they brought energy and defense.
Hopefully Puustinen gets a chance to stay up here for awhile. I think he could add some offense beyond the obvious ones who play in the top six. Poulin is another one who should get a shot on the NHL roster. Unfortunately his development has been derailed by his mental health issues last season, and physical injury this season. In a perfect scenario he's the 3C on this team and Eller is the 4C.
That's always my problem with prospects not given a chance over some of the over the hill or barely NHL capable UFAs this franchise tends to sign. DOC isn't scoring much, but how much would he score this year if he played all of last year over random 4th line guy? Or Puustinen over random 3rd line guy? This franchise doesn't want to live with early season failures by rookies with higher upside. They'd rather mediocre play by random veterans for the entire season, then complain because the bottom six doesn't score enough.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

The real problem is that the Penguins have no one in the minors that can be called up and contribute. No young kids eager to prove they belong in the NHL. So when Sid or Geno or Rust or Jake or any of the regulars gets injured (and they do every year), we dont get an injection of youth into the lineup that other teams seem to get. I understand why, but in my opinion that is the biggest issue that needs to be fixed in this organization.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:02 pm The real problem is that the Penguins have no one in the minors that can be called up and contribute. No young kids eager to prove they belong in the NHL. So when Sid or Geno or Rust or Jake or any of the regulars gets injured (and they do every year), we dont get an injection of youth into the lineup that other teams seem to get. I understand why, but in my opinion that is the biggest issue that needs to be fixed in this organization.
This is a good point. When Therrien came up he looked to bring up a lot of guys he was coaching for a few years with him, Sullivan did it too. But Bylsma brought pretty much no one up. Look at the roster from 08-09 WBS and it’s really not much different than what we have now, no high end respects and a lot of cast-offs.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/lea ... 02009.html

But what Bylsma brought was a different approach for the NHL roster where a change was direly needed. We are in the same situation now.