The Official Fire Sullivan & Staff Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: The Official Fire Sullivan & Staff Thread

Post by stonewizard51 »

Badger Bob wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:22 pm I need to add Mike Tomlin to the thread title
You should have posted that in the "Coaching Change Required" thread. Tomlin would automatically be guaranteed a place there.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DK on his podcast this morning speculated that if the Pens lose tonight, something will change. He said they are off until Tuesday, that’s when teams make changes, when they have several days off.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:03 am DK on his podcast this morning speculated that if the Pens lose tonight, something will change. He said they are off until Tuesday, that’s when teams make changes, when they have several days off.
Florida is 2nd in the East, 2nd fewest goals allowed in the East, and the Penguins are dressing a near ECHL level team with no Rust, no Rakell, and a PP unable to score with a $2 hooker.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:23 am
KG wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:03 am DK on his podcast this morning speculated that if the Pens lose tonight, something will change. He said they are off until Tuesday, that’s when teams make changes, when they have several days off.
Florida is 2nd in the East, 2nd fewest goals allowed in the East, and the Penguins are dressing a near ECHL level team with no Rust, no Rakell
So you are guaranteeing a Pens win and Sullivan making another escape? :pop:
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:23 am
Florida is 2nd in the East, 2nd fewest goals allowed in the East, and the Penguins are dressing a near ECHL level team with no Rust, no Rakell, and a PP unable to score with a $2 hooker.
:lol: :lol:

Feels like the PP wouldn't hit water if you threw it out of a boat.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

The PP hasn't scored since the 8th grade picnic.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

4 days off between games. Now is the perfect time to make the move. The longer nothing happens this weekend, the less likely it'll happen unfortunately.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Bold prediction: Sullivan will be back behind the bench next game and for the foreseeable future.

What needs to be done, won't. Gonna have to live with it. Don't have to like it, but live with it.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

BigMcK wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:25 pm Bold prediction: Sullivan will be back behind the bench next game and for the foreseeable future.

What needs to be done, won't. Gonna have to live with it. Don't have to like it, but live with it.
Don't want to see it or like it but I am afraid you are right.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Yeah, Sullivan getting fired is a pipe dream. It's everyone's fault but his, for 7 straight seasons.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Maestro wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:00 pm Yeah, Sullivan getting fired is a pipe dream. It's everyone's fault but his, for 7 straight seasons.
The only way this team can get to their game is with a Delorean and 1.21 Gigiwatts to travel back to 2015.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Maestro wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:00 pm Yeah, Sullivan getting fired is a pipe dream. It's everyone's fault but his, for 7 straight seasons.
It appears the Steelers and the Penguins have a Teflon Mike as head coaches. Everyone else’s fault but theirs.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Hey all. Just checking in to see if we fired Sully yet? K thanks... :)
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Daniel wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:07 pm
It appears the Steelers and the Penguins have a Teflon Mike as head coaches. Everyone else’s fault but theirs.
Derek Shelton has legally changed his name to Mike Shelton.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

KG wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:29 pm Hey all. Just checking in to see if we fired Sully yet? K thanks... :)
Tomorrow
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

It would be a Festivus miracle.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

There are only 3 things certain in life - death, taxes and two Mike's coaching forever in 'Burgh city LoL

There! I jinxed it,now they are getting fired...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

How has it not happened yet? Come on Santa, it's my only hockey wish and I've been a (relatively) good boy this year...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Luckybreak wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:54 pm How has it not happened yet? Come on Santa, it's my only hockey wish and I've been a (relatively) good boy this year...
Maybe Dubas is trying to make him quit by bringing in a 1) young and 2) large player in Puljujarvi. This is just step one of the plan. :lol: :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Luckybreak wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:54 pm …I've been a (relatively) good boy this year...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I guess the big move with the 4 days off is going to be signing Pool Party to a PTO. Sully will coach him up!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

Admin wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:34 pm
Luckybreak wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:54 pm …I've been a (relatively) good boy this year...
At first glance I thought that was a surveillance cam, busted!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

I have been doing some thinking about this and have reversed my opinion on firing Sully. :shock:

Think about it. At 5v5, the team is holding its own. In fact, it's pretty good. Goal-tending has firmed up, with improvements to both Jarry's and Ned's performances. It's the PP that's killing them.

Maybe we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

I think it's time for a total re-construction of the power play. I propose the following:
  • EK (Captain Morgan :lol: ) should quarterback the 1st unit
  • Crosby sits in favor of some larger screeners in front of the goalie (Zahorna? Carter?). He's spectacular at 5v5.
  • Malkin, Guentzel, Eller round out the 1st unit
And the standing order is: 2 pass maximum before shooting the puck.

Hey, what do I know? Apparently, as much as Rierden. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:19 pmAnd the standing order is: 2 pass maximum before shooting the puck.
I've always liked that kinda thing to simplify things. I'd say get set up, then 2 passes is fine by me. Park someone around the net (I miss Patric), fire pucks, profit. PP needs to get deeper anyway, enough of that perimeter only stuff, get someone below the goal line.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:13 pm
IntangibleBeer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:19 pmAnd the standing order is: 2 pass maximum before shooting the puck.
I've always liked that kinda thing to simplify things. I'd say get set up, then 2 passes is fine by me. Park someone around the net (I miss Patric), fire pucks, profit. PP needs to get deeper anyway, enough of that perimeter only stuff, get someone below the goal line.
I dunno. Can this team actually complete two passes in a row? They don't seem to be very good at completing tape to tape passes well in any phase.