Official GDT: Pens @ Panthers 12/8/23

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Panthers 12/8/23

Post by pronovost19 »

Antonio wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:39 pm
pronovost19 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:38 pm
Antonio wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:35 pm If Dubas doesn't fire that entire staff now, he's clearly much farther from being the supposed wunderkind than his reputation claims.
Which coach can fix that half of WBS is on the ice? Anyways, we need to lose and do a good job of it. Sell off assets at deadline. Start collecting picks.
Well someone has to be able to figure out a power play that can score once every 30 chances. Maybe.
Yes. Agreed.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

HellsKitchen7 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:44 pm Glad they lost and I hope they keep losing tbh. The worst thing that could've happened was a win tonight because that would mean vindication for the team and result in no changes.
I hate the fact that I completely agree. I was thinking this before the game and I'm so **** sick of this situation and actually wanting them to lose so we can maybe hopefully please god let's see some real change.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

If I was Dubas this would be the point where I decide to accept the rebuild needs to happen. Play all the kids. Lose a lot. Sell off assets at deadline for picks and salary dumps. Fire Sullivan the day after the season ends. Bring in your rebuild dude. Whoever in Dubas sphere that is.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Florida took the game over in the 3rd,Pens being outmanned showed up.
Jarry was good.2 garbage goals where he didn't get any help with coverage.Bobrovsky just a wee bit better.
Karlsson is a non factor right now,nowhere close to being a difference maker.
Carter with a poor effort on the Florida Game Winner.Veteran leadership?Intangibles in the dressing room?Versatility?An empty sweater IMHO.
PP is reason #1 for the loss,again.Chance to get it tied with the game on the line and failure again.

In a game where Patric Hornqvist gets honored guess its fitting the 2 Goals Florida scored were Hornqvist types of goals. Goals this team doesn't get.

14 straight games scoreless. 0-37. 7 Goals in 26 Games..How many close games with points squandered by not getting a thing.

With all the injured guys up front the lack of scoring from the forwards will continue to crush this team.

A 4 day break between games with Dubas having stated he was putting a big emphasis on these Florida Games.Reirden will likely be the guy who gets the boot since Sully has the excuse of Rust,Rakell,Acciari,Nieto and Zohorna all on the shelf.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I don't understand the hesitancy of going to the net. I mean this is the softest, least physical the NHL has ever been. There's no more Scott Stevens or Chris Prongers that will take your head off.

All of these standing at the side of the net looking for random deflections isn't how it's going to get done. Firing Reirden and making him the scapegoat would be a mistake. Firing assistants never does anything.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

A real waste of one of Jarry's best performances. When FL took over the game in the 3rd and really started bringing it, they had SIX high danger chances and they could have easily had 5 more goals.

Yeah, yeah, injuries and blah blah but even with everyone healthy, Pens were likely going to fade in the 3rd anyway due to being old and average speed against a team that can be a buzzsaw when they get to it. Giving up a breakaway as soon as the last PP started with the game on the line is so 2023 Pittsburgh.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:54 pm I don't understand the hesitancy of going to the net. I mean this is the softest, least physical the NHL has ever been. There's no more Scott Stevens or Chris Prongers that will take your head off.

All of these standing at the side of the net looking for random deflections isn't how it's going to get done. Firing Reirden and making him the scapegoat would be a mistake. Firing assistants never does anything.
Don’t fire anyone until the day after the last game. Make them own this. As a GM, tie his hands. Make him play all the younger dudes as much as possible. Ditch the dead weight and sell at deadline. Stock pile picks and move on.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Have to start thinking about the 1st round pick that was part of the Karlsson trade. It's top 10 protected this season with our option to give them the pick this year, or it's unprotected next year. That could be a tough decision if this keeps going....
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:01 pm Have to start thinking about the 1st round pick that was part of the Karlsson trade. It's top 10 protected this season with our option to give them the pick this year, or it's unprotected next year. That could be a tough decision if this keeps going....
HellsKitchen7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by HellsKitchen7 »

Antonio wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:44 pm
HellsKitchen7 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:44 pm Glad they lost and I hope they keep losing tbh. The worst thing that could've happened was a win tonight because that would mean vindication for the team and result in no changes.
I hate the fact that I completely agree. I was thinking this before the game and I'm so **** sick of this situation and actually wanting them to lose so we can maybe hopefully please god let's see some real change.
Embrace it, man. Pittsburgh sports is in their dark ages and this team has needed a wake up for a few years now. JR said he felt there were some players that were comfortable with the success they already had and I think he was right way back when.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

They're burnt toast. Time for new bread.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

HellsKitchen7 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:08 pm
Antonio wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:44 pm
Embrace it, man. Pittsburgh sports is in their dark ages and this team has needed a wake up for a few years now. JR said he felt there were some players that were comfortable with the success they already had and I think he was right way back when.
Exactly. Time to move on. I am at that point too. And the last thing i would do is let Sullivan wriggle off the hook at the hardest time. He needs to own it. At some point somebody has to own it and the best course is to move on with a total rebuild.

This team is so much like the Tampa organization when they allowed St Louis, Richard and Vinnie Lecavalier ran their franchise into the ground. It is not those players faults. People get caught up in nostalgia and selling jerseys and it can be great again - it cannot. Accept it. Man up and start a rebuild.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:01 pm Have to start thinking about the 1st round pick that was part of the Karlsson trade. It's top 10 protected this season with our option to give them the pick this year, or it's unprotected next year. That could be a tough decision if this keeps going....
Have to also realize that we cannot trade a 1st round pick this year or next year to help turn around this roster, since both are essentially tied up in the Karlsson trade.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pittsburgh Penguins
@penguins
Coach Sullivan: “I thought we had a great start. I thought for a lot of the game we competed hard.”

Great moral victories, Sully always plays that card. He's content that they competed hard. Not even sure what that means anymore.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

As long as we can decide after the lottery I’m not worried. If we finish in the bottom 10 Sullivan would have to be gone if not sooner and I don’t think we finish that low under someone different.

If we are in a position to take someone who everyone says will be a top line center we have to take him while we can.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:54 pm I don't understand the hesitancy of going to the net. I mean this is the softest, least physical the NHL has ever been. There's no more Scott Stevens or Chris Prongers that will take your head off.

Agreed on both points.The guy who got honored tonight made his career out of having the willingness to do what we sorely lack.

Reirden or any assistant coaches getting the boot is "make work" for Dubas to say to FSG that he tried to address the direction of this team.Won't make a difference nor change the players mentality.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:15 pm Pittsburgh Penguins
@penguins
Coach Sullivan: “I thought we had a great start. I thought for a lot of the game we competed hard.”

Great moral victories, Sully always plays that card. He's content that they competed hard. Not even sure what that means anymore.
To me it may mean he knows that their best is not good enough anymore. But he could never say that.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The stats people will say the Penguins are getting their chances, getting shots, expected goals, yadda, yadda. They all say "they're doing the right things. the luck/chance should start going the other way."

I seem to think we're past the points of saying they are due any time. Can't keep saying we're doing the right things, it'll come. Can't wait 20 games for it to finally arrive.

Penguins don't play again until Tuesday. Can Dubas make a coaching change, or a trade, or something major to spark this team before the Arizona game. Arizona is no pushover.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:18 pm The stats people will say the Penguins are getting their chances, getting shots, expected goals, yadda, yadda. They all say "they're doing the right things. the luck/chance should start going the other way."

I seem to think we're past the points of saying they are due any time. Can't keep saying we're doing the right things, it'll come. Can't wait 20 games for it to finally arrive.

Penguins don't play again until Tuesday. Can Dubas make a coaching change, or a trade, or something major to spark this team before the Arizona game. Arizona is no pushover.
The discussions here are always very interesting. One consistency - most fans on here concur that a rebuild needed to take place. The longer you wait the less you get in return for your assets. I think JR left because he wanted to start a hard rebuild and perhaps he is laughing at the results after he left.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

"We competed hard."

Dude this isn't 6th grade.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Maestro wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:50 pm "We competed hard."

:lol: Yeah, I was just checking the standings and I couldn't find the Competed Hard column anywhere.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Penguins are again 4 points out of WC2 spot, even with Carolina in Games Played.
Penguins are 5 points out of WC1 spot, and Toronto has 3 games in hand on the Penguins.

Next week, the Penguins play both Toronto and Carolina...absolutely huge games if they are to make up any ground.
Next week, the Penguins also play 2 teams that are, like the Penguins, under .500. Montreal and Minnesota. Arizona is the other game. They are 3 games above .500
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:44 pm Penguins are again 4 points out of WC2 spot, even with Carolina in Games Played.
Penguins are 5 points out of WC1 spot, and Toronto has 3 games in hand on the Penguins.

Next week, the Penguins play both Toronto and Carolina...absolutely huge games if they are to make up any ground.
Next week, the Penguins also play 2 teams that are, like the Penguins, under .500. Montreal and Minnesota. Arizona is the other game. They are 3 games above .500
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Make up ground? Who needs that as long as you compete hard and get to your game?
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

brwi wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:44 pm
Maestro wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:50 pm "We competed hard."

:lol: Yeah, I was just checking the standings and I couldn't find the Competed Hard column anywhere.
That's more of a bedroom statistic. :wink: