Official GDT: Pens @ Lightning 12/6/23

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Lightning 12/6/23

Post by KG »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:34 pm
KG wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:19 pm
Coffey Break wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:11 pm Pittsburgh Penguins
@penguins
·
7m
Coach Sullivan: "I thought we had opportunities, especially in the 1st period, to put pucks at the net, and we didn't. We're looking for lateral plays and they never materialized. We're trying to encourage them to put the puck at the net more and force [Tampa] to defend."

BLAH BLAH BLAH....
When Sully speaks the team hears Charlie Browns teacher. For you younger peeps, google it, it is fitting right about now!
Haha. Yes. Exactly! Thanks.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I know it's the company line, but the constant positive remarks by play-by-play & color guys is maddening. Rupp was trying to prop up just about everyone last night...
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

I woke up this morning happy as hell I forgot they had a game last night. Looks like the Pens forgot too.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

DelPen wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:10 pm
Admin wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:52 pm
DelPen wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:47 pm Maybe it was because i didn’t care but I don’t remember seeing Kopppnen or Zohrona in the 3rd and barely hearing Carter, Nylander and Harkins.
https://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/ ... 020389.HTM
Harkins didn’t play the 2nd and Zohorna didnt play the 3rd. What the ****?
Did Rust get hurt - he had no shifts in the 3rd either.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:03 am
DelPen wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:47 pm Maybe it was because i didn’t care but I don’t remember seeing Kopppnen or Zohrona in the 3rd and barely hearing Carter, Nylander and Harkins.
Being evaluated for upper bodies injury, I believe.

PP now 0-34 is the worst streak in franchise history since the 1st season, where they went 0-43. The stats people say they are doing all the right things, that their shot rates, high danger shots, etc are near the top of the league. So, they are going to keep beating the dead horse until it miraculously shows a pulse.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

No pushback, no intensity, going through the motions. They aren't willing to pay the price to succeed consistently. They are going to try to remain competitive so Sid re-signs and retires a Pen, but they need to start playing a different system, bring in some tough two-way players and a new coach if they want to try to win something.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:06 am

PP now 0-34 is the worst streak in franchise history since the 1st season, where they went 0-43. The stats people say they are doing all the right things, that their shot rates, high danger shots, etc are near the top of the league. So, they are going to keep beating the dead horse until it miraculously shows a pulse.
Watched Tampa's PP last night. They consistently collapsed the defensive box until almost every player was inside the hash marks. And every player took the shot when it opened, often times even when it wasn't really open! Shots on goal are good! Our powerplay is a consistent class in perimeter passing - no threat at all.
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

I understand that people might think this team needs a coaching change, sometimes there is just an expiration date. But the bashing of Sully for trying to jumble the lines to spark something is odd to me.

I mean besides Sid's line, look at what the guy has to work with...Carter, Koppanen, Nylander, Harkins, Zohorna, DOC are all fringe NHLers at best at this point. Smith has gone missing. And Malkin, while possessing enough natural ability to get some points, the guy is burnt toast at this point. What do you expect Sully to do?
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Pitts wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:01 am
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:06 am

Watched Tampa's PP last night. They consistently collapsed the defensive box until almost every player was inside the hash marks. And every player took the shot when it opened, often times even when it wasn't really open! Shots on goal are good! Our powerplay is a consistent class in perimeter passing - no threat at all.

That first power play where we won the face off and had three players on the blue line passing. There can’t be a single coach in the league that would draw up a power play like that.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Bourque was incensed when nobody stuck up for Shea when the puck got stuck in his gear and Kucherov slashed his stick out of his hands. He wanted someone to drill Kucherov.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Crash66 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:44 pm Bourque was incensed when nobody stuck up for Shea when the puck got stuck in his gear and Kucherov slashed his stick out of his hands. He wanted someone to drill Kucherov.
No heart, no passion. It seems like a recurrent theme over the last few years. They seem to be complacent for the most part, almost apathetic. Just come in punch the clock and mail it in most nights. Hope the old stars have some juice that night to score enough goals to win. There are many warts on this team right now. I'm sure Dubas sees it. The problem is, what to do with it. It's multi-facetted. Then when you consider the talent pipeline behind the big team isn't very good, I think we will have to accept a few years of mediocre to bad hockey until it changes.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

I don’t think it is lack of heart or passion. It is more lack of speed, lack of young players.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Crash66 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:44 pm Bourque was incensed when nobody stuck up for Shea when the puck got stuck in his gear and Kucherov slashed his stick out of his hands. He wanted someone to drill Kucherov.
I listened to the 2nd and most of 3rd on radio. Seems Bourque was incensed most of the evening and I'm pretty sure most of this season so far. He's got more fire than any of the coaches or players.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DeHaven162 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:26 am I understand that people might think this team needs a coaching change, sometimes there is just an expiration date. But the bashing of Sully for trying to jumble the lines to spark something is odd to me.

I mean besides Sid's line, look at what the guy has to work with...Carter, Koppanen, Nylander, Harkins, Zohorna, DOC are all fringe NHLers at best at this point. Smith has gone missing. And Malkin, while possessing enough natural ability to get some points, the guy is burnt toast at this point. What do you expect Sully to do?
But why does he have those players? You cannot tell me TWO GMS in a row felt that their best course forward was to add a bunch more over 30 players to their roster. Sully has a hand in that, and by all accounts is telling Dubas what type of player he wants. Doesn't mean Dubas has to get X player or do what Sully says, but if that's what he says he needs to compete, than that's what Dubas is likely going to look for.

Dubas shares some blame, too. No need to give Acciari trade protection. Graves trade has been a major bust so far.

Sullivan seems to be Bylsma all over again. In general, he still thinks his system from 6 years ago is perfect for this team. Opponents have adapted, the team has gotten older and slower. The just play mantra it stale.

We saw a 5 game winning streak earlier in the season. That streak actually looks like the abnormal team, because before and after, they've looked average at best instead of using that 5 game streak as a jumping off point to turn their season around.

This team is who we see on most nights...a not so good team. It is a shame how many solid years of Sid, Geno, and Letang have been wasted, and now another Cup with them is nothing more than a pipe dream.