The Official Fire Sullivan & Staff Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

The Official Fire Sullivan & Staff Thread

Post by Badger Bob »

This team needs a serious boot in the arse and they don't seem to be responding to Sullivan and his staff at this point. His expiration date has been exceeded anyhow. Probably not a good time to go out and find a decent replacement with solid NHL experience at this point. I say bring up J.D. Forrest and his staff to take over for the rest of the season and hopefully it gives the team a jolt. At least their PP hits 20% of the time with a bunch of AHL ham and eggers.

Sullivan looks more defeated than pissed off:
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/video/post ... 2369267112

I think he's lost this team. The inmates are running the asylum. I don't know if Forrest is a task master or not, but that seems like what they need. Maybe just fresh leadership with a new approach is enough. There's no excuse for this team's performance up till now. Changes are needed.
Last edited by Badger Bob on Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Official Fire Sullivan & Staff Thread

Post by KG »

If they do make a move, then I think they need to bring in someone from outside of the organization. If they are looking to try to remain competitive with the core the next couple of years, then they should bring in a veteran coach who would demand respect of the core. Beaudreau and Gallant come to mind. If they are looking for someone long-term, then maybe someone like Woodcroft, who has coached before and had some success, albeit, short-lived.

I would probably go the veteran short-term route.
SkoBuffs

Post by SkoBuffs »

It's time. I think the Rangers players loathed Gallant, and now they are better so not him please.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

SkoBuffs wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:28 pm
Welcome to the board!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:08 pm This team needs a serious boot in the arse and they don't seem to be responding to Sullivan and his staff at this point. His expiration date has been exceeded anyhow. Probably not a good time to go out and find a decent replacement with solid NHL experience at this point. I say bring up J.D. Forrest and his staff to take over for the rest of the season and hopefully it gives the team a jolt. At least their PP hits 20% of the time with a bunch of AHL ham and eggers.

I think he's lost this team. The inmates are running the asylum. I don't know if Forrest is a task master or not, but that seems like what they need. Maybe just fresh leadership with a new approach is enough. There's no excuse for this team's performance up till now. Changes are needed.
I don't think we want Forrest. From what I have seen online this year from people that are fans of WBS, they have been calling for his head. They don't think he's much of a coach, and aren't happy that he hasn't gotten results from a vastly improved team with more vets.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I wouldnt mind Gallant, I like him, he is tough cookie! Or just promote Velucci to save some money this season, until Sully get new job and Pens are off the hook a bit.
Unbeliever
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Unbeliever »

I think the key is someone outside of the organization. Who is not part of whatever culture or ways of thinking may go around within the franchise. So no wbs staff for sure.
Carter’s Jock Strap

Post by Carter’s Jock Strap »

Is Sullivan really the issue? Not defending him I think he’s groan stale. No net front presents. They make every goal tender look like a vezna winner.
I miss getting “horny”.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Carter’s Jock Strap wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:57 pm
Welcome to the board!
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cojac »

Bruce Boudreau
Dean Evason
Claude Julien
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

Lots of talk of firing Sullivan, Reirden, or the whole coaching staff. That might be justified at this point, but part me thinks that the core of this team is just too complacent at this point in their careers to do the dirty work that is needed to score in the NHL. The lack of success on the PP is this in a nutshell. These guys have championships, awards, millions of dollars, etc. Is the problem not so much the coaching, but rather the guys out there aren’t the right mix? Hate to be cliched, but like Brooks said in “Miracle”, I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right players.”
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

E-Ramone wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:38 pm Lots of talk of firing Sullivan, Reirden, or the whole coaching staff. That might be justified at this point, but part me thinks that the core of this team is just too complacent at this point in their careers to do the dirty work that is needed to score in the NHL. The lack of success on the PP is this in a nutshell. These guys have championships, awards, millions of dollars, etc. Is the problem not so much the coaching, but rather the guys out there aren’t the right mix? Hate to be cliched, but like Brooks said in “Miracle”, I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right players.”
👍👍👍 Man ain’t that relevant! Excellent quote.
MayorofD6

Post by MayorofD6 »

Please no Boudreau, he is another recycled hack. The problem with this league is they recycle the same coaches that have been fired over and over. Tocchet would have been the perfect choice, but that ship has sailed.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:08 pm This team needs a serious boot in the arse and they don't seem to be responding to Sullivan and his staff at this point. His expiration date has been exceeded anyhow. Probably not a good time to go out and find a decent replacement with solid NHL experience at this point. I say bring up J.D. Forrest and his staff to take over for the rest of the season and hopefully it gives the team a jolt. At least their PP hits 20% of the time with a bunch of AHL ham and eggers.

I watched the video. He did look defeated and I felt sorry for him. I still think he is a decent coach and can do great things, but that is no longer true here. I also agree that the team has tuned him out. I can't imagine he hasn't called them out on their play, but who knows for sure?

Sad, but the time has come. I was FURIOUS at how long they kept Bylsma as head coach. They waited 3 years too long to fire him. With Sully, it's time to part ways, but I have a lot more respect for him.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

FIRE SULLIVAN TODAY!
Now this is a thread I can really get into!
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

E-Ramone wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:38 pm Lots of talk of firing Sullivan, Reirden, or the whole coaching staff. That might be justified at this point, but part me thinks that the core of this team is just too complacent at this point in their careers to do the dirty work that is needed to score in the NHL. The lack of success on the PP is this in a nutshell. These guys have championships, awards, millions of dollars, etc. Is the problem not so much the coaching, but rather the guys out there aren’t the right mix? Hate to be cliched, but like Brooks said in “Miracle”, I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right players.”
This is it. It's like Edzo trying to coach Mario in his last days. Apparently Edzo wanted to have the team do a bag skate after some bad loss, and Mario just shook his head, meaning "no", and Edzo promptly said, okay, no bag skate today, boys! I don't think it's gotten to that point with Sullivan and "the core", but these guys, as skilled as they are, just don't seem to have the youthful exuberance and fire in their bellies that wins games. It's a young man's sport.

And I know it's an unpopular opinion here, but I think Sullivan is a great coach, and would love to see him coach a rebuilding team – something that may happen sooner than we think.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:28 pm Sad, but the time has come. I was FURIOUS at how long they kept Bylsma as head coach. They waited 3 years too long to fire him. With Sully, it's time to part ways, but I have a lot more respect for him.
True, Bylsma lasted well past his expiration date, but back then Sid and Co. were still young, and a new coach could make a difference. I don't think the core now will play any differently under a new coach then they are playing under Sullivan.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Gallant is about the only viable option out there who is cleared today to coach but he remains under contract with the Rangers so I don't see it as an option atm.

And the notion that all time greats like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, don't have the "fire in their belly" to compete any longer would be insulting if it wasn't so laughable.

It's the system
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Maestro wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:30 pm Gallant is about the only viable option out there who is cleared today to coach but he remains under contract with the Rangers so I don't see it as an option atm.

And the notion that all time greats like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, don't have the "fire in their belly" to compete any longer would be insulting if it wasn't so laughable.

It's the system
The question is whether Crosby and company want to play a different system? Changing coaches doesn’t make the core 5 years younger nor does it improve the bottom six forwards. This is a middle of the pack team they way it is constructed. Change the coach if you want, I doubt it changes the trajectory of this team substantially.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

pens_CT wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:20 am
Maestro wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:30 pm Gallant is about the only viable option out there who is cleared today to coach but he remains under contract with the Rangers so I don't see it as an option atm.

It's the system
The question is whether Crosby and company want to play a different system? Changing coaches doesn’t make the core 5 years younger nor does it improve the bottom six forwards. This is a middle of the pack team they way it is constructed. Change the coach if you want, I doubt it changes the trajectory of this team substantially.
You can't fire the entire team. You can fire the coach.
Unbeliever
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Unbeliever »

I agree that it can't be said for sure that the coaches are the problem, or the system is the problem. It may very well be the players too.

But the pragmatic answer is; if the problem is the players, there is nothing that can be done about it anyways and changing coaches likely won't make them worse.
If the problem is the coaches then changing them may work and it may not, but there is no reason not to try it.

The only argument against changing coach is if we think that there is a risk that a different coach will result in a worse team. But realistically, what intangible is Sullivan providing to the team after 9 seasons that would be irrevocably lost if he goes.

Changing the entire coaching staff is a low risk, potentially but not guaranteed high reward. Give it until the Christmas break, if the pens are still out of the playoff picture by then, wipe the board.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If Sullivan is fired I would expect Vellucci to take over. Not sure if that’s good or bad but something different is needed.

I see no indication at all that the team performance isn’t what Sullivan wants. They are trying to execute his plan and that plan is doomed to fail. The only reason this team isn’t absolutely horrible is Sid is still world class and Geno can still be at times. If both of them get cold at the same time we are done for.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

The next five games will tell the story. 4 of 5 on the road to include the dreaded Florida trip. They could realistically lose 4 of 5 with the way they are playing.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

The last few times a coaching change was made, it happened in December. I could be wrong, but I think Sully and Disco were hired in December. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened again. Do I think Sully has lost the team ? Yeah I do but he's not solely responsible. Like the thread title states it's Sully and the Staff. If it happens, they should definitely look outside the organization. Way too much narrow thinking and it's been deeply ingrained for years.

My concern with firing Sully is limited options for a coach. The last time it happened, before Sully took over, they hired MJ after firing Disco. What an absolute trainwreck that experience was.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

When a coach is saying things like "we talked about that in the room" and "we talked about that on the bench" then he is telling us they know the problems (that we all see) and they are trying to address them - it's not on a lack of identifying the issues. That sounds a lot like an indirect shot at the players not executing what we are discussing or asking of them.