Official GDT: Pens @ Flyers 12/4/23

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Flyers 12/4/23

Post by IntangibleBeer »

They squandered a beautiful game by Ned tonight.

Played 1980’s fire wagon hockey. :face:
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Absolutely BS play from the Pens. Reirden needs gone stat. PP basically last in the league and defensemen are regressing. Sully system not working and I'm sure he had a say in some of these FA signings... Buh bye dawg. Let Vellucci coach and alter style.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Empty Sweater wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:39 pm Sid & Jake both go deep and leave Letang & Ned out to dry. There are some serious issues with the team. Can’t blame the goaltending.
It’s like they forgot it was 3 on 3. Just horrible decision making. With zero repercussions.
mariojr
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by mariojr »

Looks like they're actively trying to get Sully fired.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

maopens wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:39 pm Kinda feels like this season, with this roster, is slipping away very early.
With this roster and coaching staff, they’re right where they should be. All they did was rearrange the decks on the Titanic and brought in another good chair (Karlsson).
THEREALpittsburghpenguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by THEREALpittsburghpenguins »

Crosby and guentzel both attacked the defenseman off the lost face off. Wasn't even close to a 50/50 puck. Their d just read their stupidity and wrapped it around the boards for the 2 on 1 game winner. This team is no longer fun to watch. We play like a peewee team. Bleed breakaways. Goalies have been really good. Team needs a new direction with a new coach. Can't fire all the players. This team was probably going to be a borderline playoff team at best but they were supposed to be entertaining to watch. That hasn't happened. This might be the worst power play I've seen since I started watching hockey, which was at the age of 6, and I'm now 44 years old. They don't move. They don't shoot. They are so easy to read. I've never seen a team give up so many short handed breakaways. It is truthfully pathetic. Watching other teams work the pp makes you wonder what sully is telling them. I guess they still got 2 of 4 points, so at least there is that.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

An average power play and they would be at a minimum 12-1-2 in the last 15 Games.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Wonder if FSG realizes noone is watching the new, hour long post game show most nights.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Dey soff!
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

It’s been a great run with HCMS, but this team has been like this for way too long. They play like they’re sleep walking and with no urgency most of the time. The talent is definitely there, but it’s not being used well at all.
HellsKitchen7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by HellsKitchen7 »

mariojr wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:42 pm Looks like they're actively trying to get Sully fired.
I thought it looked that way last year on their multiple losing streaks.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Karlsson, Smith, Graves, Acciari, Nieto, all new additions have struggled to adjust and acclimate to this system. Eller has been fine but he’s really a 4C.

That’s coaching. Too many times has the GM’s here brought in players who were historically good but underproduce here.

If they don’t fire the coach they’re just saying that they are happy with the 3 cups and we are going to ride it out into the sunset.

They are like a band that had some hits earlier on but have released dud albums recently. Living on their past success.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Crash66 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:46 pm Wonder if FSG realizes noone is watching the new, hour long post game show most nights.
Looking forward to seeing Sullivan’s one word answers with his sour puss on.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

The only 1 word answer I want from Sully is

BYE!
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

2nd straight game vs the Flyers with very little intensity from either team.
Ned was outstanding.He made some incredible stops to get them a point,
Malkin again with a no show disinterested effort.No excuse for this.
Smith did absolutely zero,can hardly remember him being on the ice.
Karlsson,Letang and Graves were awful for the bulk of this game.Turnovers galore,lousy decisions,head scratching play.

The PP once again costs this team a point.Completely useiess.To watch Malkin,Letang and Karlsson refuse to shoot the puck on the late 3rd Period opportunity was shameful.Coaches have to be responsible for this.At no juncture should the same 5 guys be on the ice after going 0-32(if thats correct) and only scoring 7 total goals in 24 games.Does Crosby have a PP Goal this Year?

Enough is enough with the lack of accountability for the PP Failure.This aged 1 Line Team has been given enough decent Goaltending of late to be in a better position in the standings if there was even 2-3 games with 1 PP Goal.They won't make the Playoffs due to squandering the 4-7 Points these games cost them. And the Coaching Staff has to pay the price for that.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Zalapski33 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:56 pm 2nd straight game vs the Flyers with very little intensity from either team.
Ned was outstanding.He made some incredible stops to get them a point,
Malkin again with a no show disinterested effort.No excuse for this.
Smith did absolutely zero,can hardly remember him being on the ice.
Karlsson,Letang and Graves were awful for the bulk of this game.Turnovers galore,lousy decisions,head scratching play.

The PP once again costs this team a point.Completely useiess.To watch Malkin,Letang and Karlsson refuse to shoot the puck on the late 3rd Period opportunity was shameful.Coaches have to be responsible for this.At no juncture should the same 5 guys be on the ice after going 0-32(if thats correct) and only scoring 7 total goals in 24 games.Does Crosby have a PP Goal this Year?

Enough is enough with the lack of accountability for the PP Failure.This aged 1 Line Team has been given enough decent Goaltending of late to be in a better position in the standings if there was even 2-3 games with 1 PP Goal.They won't make the Playoffs due to squandering the 4-7 Points these games cost them. And the Coaching Staff has to pay the price for that.
Well said. It’s not so much that they’re losing, it’s how they are losing. Minimal intensity, they soff. Where’s the fight ?

There are some decent short term coaching options out there in
Beaudreau and Gallant. Woodcroft, Evason. A new voice and system is needed.
mariojr
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by mariojr »

KG wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:05 pm

It’s not so much that they’re losing, it’s how they are losing. Minimal intensity, they soff. Where’s the fight ?
Half da team don' care. Dey pretend to care, but I know dey don' care.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

It’s ok everyone. Sully will roll out the same lineup and workflow at practice tomorrow. Just have to get to their game!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:44 pm Crosby and guentzel both attacked the defenseman off the lost face off. Wasn't even close to a 50/50 puck. Their d just read their stupidity and wrapped it around the boards for the 2 on 1 game winner. This team is no longer fun to watch. We play like a peewee team. Bleed breakaways. Goalies have been really good. Team needs a new direction with a new coach. Can't fire all the players. This team was probably going to be a borderline playoff team at best but they were supposed to be entertaining to watch. That hasn't happened. This might be the worst power play I've seen since I started watching hockey, which was at the age of 6, and I'm now 44 years old. They don't move. They don't shoot. They are so easy to read. I've never seen a team give up so many short handed breakaways. It is truthfully pathetic. Watching other teams work the pp makes you wonder what sully is telling them. I guess they still got 2 of 4 points, so at least there is that.
Both of them going to chase the puck behind the net was so **** dumb.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

But but but, the Pens have points in 5 straight games!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Over the last 10 games, the Penguins have gone 3-4-3, gaining 9 points out of 20. Somehow, the Penguins now sit only 2 points out of the last WC spot with that record. Every team above them has earned more points in their last 10 games: (in reverse order)
-Islanders, 13 points in last 10
-Capitals, 12 points
-Tampa, 11 points
-Toronto, 14 points
-Flyers, 13 points
-Carolina, 13 points
-Rangers, 16 points

3-4-3 is their record in their last 10, which also coincides with the end of their 5 game winning streak. Tonight was game #10 since that 5 game win streak ended. The trends this season:
---3-6-0 in October
---5-0 win streak to start November
---3-4-3 since the win streak ended

24 games into last season, this team was 12-8-4, only 2 more points (28) than they have now. They had 83 goals for, 76 against. They had 13 PP goals
This year, they are 11-10-3, 26 points, with 73 goals for, 63 against. They have 7 PP goals.

So, technically better defense and goaltending...but what we thought was a lack of scoring last year is actually worse there, especially considering we had a 10 goal outburst against a horrible SJ team.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Its really hard and tough situation when you cant fire coaching stuff.... Oh wait
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

When your goalie is outscoring your power play, you got problems;)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2023/12/ ... lay-nhl-dk

Chaos is the opposite, polar opposite, of what the players did on ice.
DK with 65# post game interview. He almost seems incredulous with the power play.
Dubas exhibiting more patience than I expected.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

HellsKitchen7 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:48 pm
mariojr wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:42 pm Looks like they're actively trying to get Sully fired.
I thought it looked that way last year on their multiple losing streaks.
Honestly, I thought that was to get rid of Hextall and team. Even Sully had some questionable quotes about the losing and almost pointing the finger at Hextall in the end.

It worked. Problem is, the team (core) and or coaching didn't change... so what's the next logical move?