Game 23 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Game 23 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the morning after

Post by IntangibleBeer »

I didn't see a thread, so I thought I would jump in. Wow, what an emotional roller coaster of a game.
  • Two leads blown, a come-from-behind goal with Jarry pulled, and saving of a point after a shoot-out loss. Pens deserved better.
  • The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again with the hope of a different result. Right now, I would hold up the Pens PP as the prime example of that definition. It's predictable. In fact, I bet the popcorn vendors could tell what will happen. Basically, its a passing clinic followed up by a perimeter shot. Lather, rinse, repeat. Certainly the other teams know what to do to counteract it. Opponents seem to converge on the man with the puck preventing anything but a pass to another perimeter player. Not enough traffic in front of the net.
  • As Dynasty1970 pointed out in the GDT, why would you leave PP1 on the ice for the entire 2 minutes? That led directly to the SHG and is a huge coaching error.
  • I've noticed a couple of times in the past few games that only Petterson seems to occasionally try dangle moves against opponents. Maybe that's just more noticeable because he's a defenseman.

That was a particularly troubling loss. I think Sully will be gone before Christmas.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Game 23 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the morning after

Post by FLPensFan »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:53 am

That was a particularly troubling loss. I think Sully will be gone before Christmas.
Penguins are currently 2 points out of final wild card, 4 points out of 1st wild card spot.

If they keep floundering around 500 the next 4-5 games you may be right.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

“That was a particularly troubling loss. I think Sully will be gone before Christmas.”

Christmas of 2026 maybe. Personally I don’t think anything will differ with a new staff. Reminds of the good old boys club.
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Weegie »

I don't have any of the sports packages or things like that but since they played the Cryers I was able to see this game. For the most part there wasn't much energy or urgency until they were behind, then they turned it on enough to tie the game and get a point. But what boggles my mind is how they can beat the Avalance, Golden Knights, Leafs and Lightning then lose at home to the Cryers, I just don't get it...

They suck us back in thinking they have it together and are going to do good things, then every other game they play like this and we realize they probably aren't going to do much again this season, sigh....
Empty Sweater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Empty Sweater »

The PP is at the point that management has to dial up 1-800- GET-PHIL. He will make the power play better; it can’t get any worse and it will be entertaining watching Sully lose his mind. He has to better than 77 & 43. Stick him on the third line for 10 minutes plus power play. They are not going to make the playoffs in their current form anyway.
Btw I am only kidding but it still would be very entertaining. Who knows what kind on shape Phil is in anyway. Let him race Carter if he wins maybe if not enjoy retirement.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens Inside Scoop

@PensInsideScoop
Letang is back on the top power-play unit, joining Karlsson, Crosby, Malkin, and Guentzel.

The second unit is Pettersson, Rust, Smith, Eller, and Carter.

I agree. It's time to get Geno off the point.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pretty amazing that we were able to bring in the best offensive defenseman of this generation, and the power play can't figure it out. Sully and the core, not sure who gets more of the blame.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Fire Sully.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

They HAVE TO TRADE FOR A GUY TO PLAY IN FRONT OF THE NET. I don't think things are going to turn around on the power play until they do that. And also change their approach a bit to shoot more and create traffic in front. That may not happen unless they get a new coach because Sullivan is the most stubborn human being on the planet.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Sams_Dog wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:22 pm They HAVE TO TRADE FOR A GUY TO PLAY IN FRONT OF THE NET. I don't think things are going to turn around on the power play until they do that. And also change their approach a bit to shoot more and create traffic in front. That may not happen unless they get a new coach because Sullivan is the most stubborn human being on the planet.
I agree with you 1000%.

After that SHG, I don’t know why PP coach still has a job.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Time for a Rakell for J. Anderson trade.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

PP Strategy: Drop bombs from the point and wings, crash the net for rebounds, success.

Guess which part of this isn't happening.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

KBone wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:10 pm PP Strategy: Drop bombs from the point and wings, crash the net for rebounds, success.

Guess which part of this isn't happening.
Success. 😂
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Maestro wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:57 pm Time for a Rakell for J. Anderson trade.
Rakell for Crouse
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

It's like this team knows most of the Metro division is floundering around at .500 +/- and they don't have the urgency. If they win tonight they are 3rd in the Metro.

Until Sullivan actually benches a player that isn't a 4th liner or 6th d man, then the core and the rest of the team knows that there aren't any repercussions.

I mean just start the grinders on the power play to send a message. John Cooper has benched his stars before. You need to do something different sometimes. DK said this morning on his podcast that Sullivan is taking Rust off the top PP because he is the lesser name of the group, yet he has been good on the power play.

Sullivan needs to stop coddling his stars already.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Weegie wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:35 pm I don't have any of the sports packages or things like that but since they played the Cryers I was able to see this game. For the most part there wasn't much energy or urgency until they were behind, then they turned it on enough to tie the game and get a point. But what boggles my mind is how they can beat the Avalance, Golden Knights, Leafs and Lightning then lose at home to the Cryers, I just don't get it...

They suck us back in thinking they have it together and are going to do good things, then every other game they play like this and we realize they probably aren't going to do much again this season, sigh....
They always play to their competition. Good teams, bring out their best effort. They see a team on the schedule that is considered "bad," they think it's going to be easy. They've been doing this for the past several seasons. That and their powerplay struggles are their Achilles' heel.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Until this team can beat a few good teams in the Metro, they just pretenders.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

The obvious dichotomy here is, the Pens have five all-stars on PP1, four of which are future hall-of-famers, yet they can’t score a goal, 29th in the league.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

I attended this game, honestly it felt like a Tuesday night game against the Coyotes, not a Saturday night game against the flyers. There was intensity in spurts I guess, but it almost felt ike a preseason game. Maybe I'm just spoiled with typical Pens/Flyers games.

Not much else great to note - I will say it's fun watching EK in person, 5v5 he makes everything look so easy and I know it's not.