Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by DelPen »

Looks like they tried to stop doing things that were either dumb or Pickett can’t execute on offense. But still a lot of dumb things that competent players should not be doing. Hopefully those stop sooner.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:20 am Looks like they tried to stop doing things that were either dumb or Pickett can’t execute on offense. But still a lot of dumb things that competent players should not be doing. Hopefully those stop sooner.
I don't think it'll be a quality offense until next season, but I think we'll see the dumb plays diminish over the next few weeks. Next step for me is TDs instead of FGs and I think that'll come soon enough. With Pickens, Washington, Freiermuth as tall targets they have really no excuse to not have a lot of red zone TDs, but they first need to exorcize the Matt Canada demons.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Frank Reich was fired by the Panthers who have the worst owner in two sports. I’d take him as OC next year if he’s not looking for another HC job.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Still bad play calling in the red zone.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:07 pm Still bad play calling in the red zone.
Baby steps. I think it’ll take a few weeks to get into a groove. Matt Canada’s playbook isn’t exactly top quality so it’s like the play calling is choosing the least crap plays. I’d rather look at the fact that they have almost 100 yards in the 1st quarter and hope they can overcome the crap playbook for a decent playoff run.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

They missed the false start and a guy falls head first into Roberts to draw a penalty.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:24 pm They missed the false start and a guy falls head first into Roberts to draw a penalty.
Tom Brady called the NFL mediocre, that penalty is why. The NFL has become sissified. Sad thing, the ref didn’t throw the flag until the player pretended to be hurt.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

These guys need to know when to allow a pass to drop for no yards loss
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I get that you can’t scrap the playbook entirely but how about stop running plays that haven’t worked in **** ever.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

We still have a culture of stupidity with zero accountability that will always stem from Tomlin and down.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Austin was wide **** open and Kenny doesn’t even look over to the left side. That’s not acceptable.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Stupid **** play. Shotgun hand offs turn 1 yard into 3. So stupid.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Oh no, our **** QB is hurt, where will we find another comparably **** QB to be ****?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Tomlin still doesn’t know how to use timeouts. Using two of them to extend the Cardinals drive is a bold strategy.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Worst drive allowed all season by far.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:30 pm Worst drive allowed all season by far.
This isn’t a good enough team to have a trap game. Typical Tomlin game though, down to the level of the opponent.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Just call the game, it’s over anyways.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Bad hold by Harvin, laces were facing left and still turning to face out so the ball was always going wide right.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:40 pm Just call the game, it’s over anyways.
I'm starting to think the standard of the standard is the standard is actually just get over .500 so Tomlin looks like a good coach.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Looks like Pickett could be done for the year.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

2-4 weeks after tomorrow’s surgery.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

So pretty much the rest of the season. Can't imagine he'll be back in 2 to 3 weeks. If he's out 4 weeks, that leaves the Baltimore game as his return. Doesn't matter anyhow. They suck no matter who is at QB.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:59 pm So pretty much the rest of the season. Can't imagine he'll be back in 2 to 3 weeks. If he's out 4 weeks, that leaves the Baltimore game as his return. Doesn't matter anyhow. They suck no matter who is at QB.
It's a coaching issue in my opinion. Look at the series that Kenny got hurt. 1st and goal from what the 5? Run twice, can't get anyone open, QB has to run and gets hurt. They have Freiermuth, Washington, Pickens, Boykin all over 6'3 and don't use that? 1st down, throw the ball up and hope a tall guy gets it, 2nd down run the ball and third down you'll have the defense wondering.

This offseason the Steelers need to get a quality OC. If that OC wants the QB and RB coach, fine keep them. If that OC wants Pickett and not draft someone, fine. I think Pickett can be a quality QB in the league in the right system. Problem is, that's not the 2022 or 2023 offense is not something that is NFL caliber.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I don't disagree. Tomlin is a mediocre coach as is his staff of coordinators/assistants. Unfortunately, the Rooneys have married themselves to Tomlin with the Rooney rule. The only way that Tomlin leaves is that he goes on his own or he has a couple of putrid losing seasons in a row and he finally gets fired.

Wonder how bad the wailing and gnashing of teeth if they find a way to lose to the 2 win Patriots on Thursday. Two loses to two 2 win teams in a row would cause quite a stir around the burgh.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:49 pm I don't disagree. Tomlin is a mediocre coach as is his staff of coordinators/assistants. Unfortunately, the Rooneys have married themselves to Tomlin with the Rooney rule. The only way that Tomlin leaves is that he goes on his own or he has a couple of putrid losing seasons in a row and he finally gets fired.

Wonder how bad the wailing and gnashing of teeth if they find a way to lose to the 2 win Patriots on Thursday. Two loses to two 2 win teams in a row would cause quite a stir around the burgh.
I'm at the point with the Steelers and the Penguins where I'll watch and do some complaining on here, but not that invested overall. Like you said, Tomlin is a mediocre coach. I've always said I'll judge him after Ben retires because it was Bens team through the Tomlin era and now we're seeing the Tomlin effect on the roster and schemes.

Looking at the Steelers and Penguins coaches, both won championships with another coaches team and have been mediocre ever since. Why should I waste money watching them? (which is why I use an Australian URL, lol)