Official GDT: Pens vs Flyers 12/2/23

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Empty Sweater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Flyers 12/2/23

Post by Empty Sweater »

They aren’t going anywhere with the PP being this bad. I’m almost at the point to give Phil a call. Put out there for the PP and 3 line minutes. At least it would be fun watching Sully’s head explode (lol)
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Another game where the PP cost this team a win.Simply the difference again.A SHG with Malkin getting taken advantage of.
Jarry had the 1 Goal in the 3rd that wasn't good but was the reason they got a point.
Guentzel is on a roll,2 goals and was the best forward all night.
Smith is a non entity,hasn't scored in 13 Games.
The bottom 6 were non existent.

They got a point in spite of a game where they did very little.But the frustrating part is Philly did barely any more.No excuse for these lousy 1st Periods.
It just looks like a 1 Line aged .500 Team that has no scoring depth.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

brwi wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:51 pm I think that's the first game this season the Flyers have won when they didn't score the first goal. Oh well, take the point as an early present and move on.
Move on …. to what? This has been going on for 20+ games.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Can't wait to see Sullivan's answers to the hard hitting media questions about HIS power play.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

If he says "They're generating good chances" my head will explode. Wrapping it with duct tape now.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Another year of a worthless bottom 6 and no wingers for Geno.
Lifetime Pens Fan

Post by Lifetime Pens Fan »

One thing worse than the Pens powerr play, the constant behind the net camera angle. Am I the only one that despises that view.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Crash66 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:11 pm Another year of a worthless bottom 6 and no wingers for Geno.
At what point can we stop endlessly using "no wingers" as an excuse for malkin? He plays with or has played with Rust (who has put up 30ish a year a few times), Smith/Zucker (same ish production), Rakell, Jake, etc. I mean, this team has not really had any true 8m dollar type wings over the years for the most part and Crosby was able to make Colby **** Armstrong and Conor Sheary productive. I'm not saying he has always had the best possible wings, but it's not like he hasn't gotten some decent players to play with, certainly similar or even better in quality at times than Crosby. Crosby has almost always elevated his wings like Mario did (Robbie Brown anyone), but for Malkin for some reason it's always, oh no good wingers for Geno every year. And honestly, he still puts up about a point a game so I'm not sure where his "lack of wingers" is showing, considering when him and Smith took off at the start of the year for a while, no one was screaming he didn't have wingers. Malkin's problems for me have always been less about his wingers or lack of, and more about his often lazy disinterested play for long stretches and games, combined with his often take it or leave it approach to defense. Of course, I do think a lot of that is the coaching staff and the fact that the stars on this team do and have been allowed to do whatever they want when and how they want without consequences. No wonder they "love" Sullivan so much. This bottom 6 also shouldn't be this terrible based on how a lot of them previously played in other places but who knows.
Last edited by Antonio on Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

The fans need to stop showing up. It’s the only way. And the ones that do show up need to chant fire Sully! I’m not sure there is a team in the league that we can beat 4 out of 7 times in a series.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Torts said the Flyers won the game tonight because they have balls.

He hates the Pens, but he isn't wrong!
HellsKitchen7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by HellsKitchen7 »

"General manager Jim Rutherford fired head coach Mike Johnston on December 12, 2015, after the team limped to a 15–10–3 start."

This team currently sits at 11-10-2. :pop:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

HellsKitchen7 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:57 am "General manager Jim Rutherford fired head coach Mike Johnston on December 12, 2015, after the team limped to a 15–10–3 start."

This team currently sits at 11-10-2. :pop:
But this was after the Penguins lost 4-1 to the Rangers in the playoffs the previous season, while Sullivan…checks notes…hasn’t won a series in 4 straight years before not qualifying last season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Phill the Thrill be like....Sully I can fix your PP just don't make me back-check.

Seriously, we might get to the point where we bring him back, or relieve Reirden of his PP duties. The PP has cost them a lot of points already this season. Over the quarter of the season mark, no improvement in sight.
JTRPCIC

Post by JTRPCIC »

PP sucks
3rd and 4th lines...not as bad as they use to be. Not sure why they split apart the EZO line, they had chemistry.
I am trying to give this team some time since there's a lot of new names that need to gel.
However, Sullivan has had enough time with talent to get the job done. Time to go.
Barry Trotz please, and let him hire his assistants
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Welcome to the board!
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

JTRPCIC wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:48 am PP sucks
3rd and 4th lines...not as bad as they use to be. Not sure why they split apart the EZO line, they had chemistry.
I am trying to give this team some time since there's a lot of new names that need to gel.
However, Sullivan has had enough time with talent to get the job done. Time to go.
Trotz is currently running the show in Nashville as GM.

I do, however, think Sullivan's time should be at an end.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

JTRPCIC wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:48 am PP sucks
Welcome aboard.

Rakell is still injured, is why O'Connor is playing top 6 minutes. I think he usually fits with Geno, though Rakell's the better player when healthy. Don't know why Zohorna need bumping to the fourth. There wasn't a better option for 3LW. Swap Carter and Zohorna in that starting lineup and the team makes more sense. But it's how that goes.

Fire Sully though and his bunch. Seen enough to know a coaching change is called for.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

How many teams use two defensemen and three forwards on the power play? It’s obvious the forward we use on the point on the pp is a liability regardless of who it is. That second unit is pull names from a hat plus Letang. If they had an average power play ( 15 goals), they would be eighth in the league in goals per game, instead of near the bottom.