Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by DelPen »

When Jarry is not above average he is well below average.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I know it recently came out that POJ wasn't out of the lineup because he was a healthy scratch, but had a mysterious injury. I wonder how much of that is true vs wanting to maintain trade value for PO by not saying he's a healthy scratch.

Wonder if GMKD is looking to make a move and ship out PO for maybe a forward in a similar position, younger, could probably use a change of scenery etc.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:55 am I know it recently came out that POJ wasn't out of the lineup because he was a healthy scratch, but had a mysterious injury. I wonder how much of that is true vs wanting to maintain trade value for PO by not saying he's a healthy scratch.

Wonder if GMKD is looking to make a move and ship out PO for maybe a forward in a similar position, younger, could probably use a change of scenery etc.
I don't think POJ has a ton of trade value that they need to worry about hurting the value. Left defenseman are like fingers...everybody has 10 of them.

If we found a team that had a rash of LD injuries, maybe...but I don't see much of a market for him right now.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:34 pm
KG wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:55 am I know it recently came out that POJ wasn't out of the lineup because he was a healthy scratch, but had a mysterious injury. I wonder how much of that is true vs wanting to maintain trade value for PO by not saying he's a healthy scratch.

I don't think POJ has a ton of trade value that they need to worry about hurting the value. Left defenseman are like fingers...everybody has 10 of them.

If we found a team that had a rash of LD injuries, maybe...but I don't see much of a market for him right now.
If they do move him, I think it would be similar to the Sprong for Pettersson swap of a few years ago. Like you said, two young players who may do better in a different environment.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

NHL radio had a good topic on Tuesday and Wednesday for a teams all time top 5. I wasn’t able to listen to all of it and didn’t hear who they had for the Penguins but is there any debate that it’s this:

Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Fleury

The first three are a lock but I could see some make an argument that maybe someone else could be on there over Geno or Fleury.
Last edited by DelPen on Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Ron Francis ahead of Fleury?
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Geno
Paul Coffey

Not sure the rules on how many games the player had to play with the team. But I would have maybe the best offensive defensmen to ever play the game as the #5 guy
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:46 pm Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Geno
Paul Coffey

Not sure the rules on how many games the player had to play with the team. But I would have maybe the best offensive defensmen to ever play the game as the #5 guy
There were no rules, just in your opinion who the best 5 were. Any criteria to include or exclude could be used.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Admin wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:45 pm Ron Francis ahead of Fleury?
I was thinking the same thing. I heard it on the radio. I actually didn’t even think of Fleury .

I went with Mario, Sid, Jagr, Malkin, Francis
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Granlund
Carter
Jack Johnson
Kapanen
Brassard

(I'll see myself out)
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:46 pm Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Geno
Paul Coffey

I think Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin are hands down the top 4.

Fleury - 375 wins and 3 Stanley Cups; Probably wouldn't even consider Barrasso here, but for comparison, Barrasso played one less season in PIT than Fleury, yet Fleury had 150+ more wins and 20+ more shutouts.

Francis - Pivotal to the 90s Cup teams; top line center on every other team at that time.

Coffey - Generational talent offensive defenseman. Pivotal to getting the club to the playoffs and winning that first Cup.

For me personally, it comes down to Francis or Fleury, and I tend to lean towards Fleury just because there are 4 other great forwards there. I love me some Paul Coffey, but for as great as he was, he only played here 4 and a half years. He was incredible during those years, but Francis and Fleury had a longer impact on the Penguins.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

DelPen wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:02 pm NHL radio had a good topic on Tuesday and Wednesday for a teams all time top 5. I wasn’t able to listen to all of it and didn’t hear who they had for the Penguins but is there any debate that it’s this:

Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Fleury

The first three are a lock but I could see some make an argument that maybe someone else could be on there over Geno or Fleury.
I think the top 4 are a lock: Mario, Jagr, Sid, Malkin. Number 5 is where it gets a little tricky. Coffey was a superstar but he only played 4.5 years here and won 1 Cup. Fleury played a long time and has very good numbers but was only a starter for one Cup and half of another Cup run. Francis played seven years and won 2 Cups. Letang has played 17 seasons, won three Cups. None of those guys won any individual awards while they were here. I would have to go with Coffey because when he was a Penguin he was considered the best offensive defenseman in the league and was in five straight all star games.

Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Coffey
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:06 pm I think this season, it finally makes sense to split Sid and Geno up on two separate powerplay units. I was always against the idea in the past because we only had Letang. Now with EK and Letang I feel like it actually makes a lot of sense. No team will have the personnel to defend against two #1 PP's.
Sid, Jake, Rust, Ek, & ?
Geno, Rakell, Smith, Letang, & ?

Alternate who is the #1 line throughout the game so that Sid's line isnt getting the majority of the time. I would at least try it.
Before the season even started... Let's hope it works.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Coffey wasn't here long enough to be an all-time great Pen in my opinion. Only 3.5 years. He's an all-time great player obviously, but I would put Francis or Fleury ahead of him.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Will we see a subsequent move, or has the play of Ryan Shea and John Ludvig made Dubas move on from Pysyk? :pop:
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

DelPen wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:02 pm NHL radio had a good topic on Tuesday and Wednesday for a teams all time top 5. I wasn’t able to listen to all of it and didn’t hear who they had for the Penguins but is there any debate that it’s this:

Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Fleury

My top 5

66 Mario - a lock
68 Jagr
87 Crosby - a lock
17 Kehoe - debatable but 371-396-767 on very forgettable Pens teams
71 Malkin or 58 Letang or 10 Francis

Imho Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby and Chico Kehoe are my top 4
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... -the-same/

Would you look into Anderson to be our new Hornqvsit? I've always like Anderson's game. He is having a horrible start with 0 goals this season, but he has historically been a 20 goal guy when healthy and provides physicality and net front presence.

4 more years at $5.5mill is rough and would think Montreal would have to retain to get out of...Rakell has 5 more years at $5mill. Would you look to do a swap? This could be a type of move the Pens should think about doing to reconfigure their top 6.

Thoughts?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:18 pm https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... -the-same/

Would you look into Anderson to be our new Hornqvsit? I've always like Anderson's game. He is having a horrible start with 0 goals this season, but he has historically been a 20 goal guy when healthy and provides physicality and net front presence.

4 more years at $5.5mill is rough and would think Montreal would have to retain to get out of...Rakell has 5 more years at $5mill. Would you look to do a swap? This could be a type of move the Pens should think about doing to reconfigure their top 6.

Thoughts?
I really liked Anderson as a target 2-3 years ago. I'd pass on him now. You want a player like him, take a look at Arizona. Get Crouse if you want someone like him in the top 6. Get Jack McBain if you want one for the bottom 6. Crouse is 26 and signed for 3 more seasons after this @ 4.3M. That aligns with our core for the most part. McBain is 23, signed through next year at 1.6M, then an RFA.

Crouse had 24 goals, 21 assists last year. So far this year, he has 10 goals and 3 assists.
McBain had 12 goals, 14 assists last year. He's currently on IR, but in 13 games he's had 4 goals, 3 assists.
Both guys are 6'4", 218-220lbs. McBain was 4th in hits last year. They aren't "deterrents," but both Crouse and McBain are guys that that will drop the gloves if a linemate is having liberties taken against them. McBain has fought Reaves and held his own/survived.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Yep,totally agree, Crouse and McBain would be spot on additions for Pens.. but they probably arent Sully's type of players lol.. they hit people ,instead of being nice,polite, gentle players..
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:04 am

Will we see a subsequent move, or has the play of Ryan Shea and John Ludvig made Dubas move on from Pysyk? :pop:
Will Butcher placed on waivers to return him to WBS.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:29 pm
KG wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:18 pm https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... -the-same/

Thoughts?
I really liked Anderson as a target 2-3 years ago. I'd pass on him now. You want a player like him, take a look at Arizona. Get Crouse if you want someone like him in the top 6. Get Jack McBain if you want one for the bottom 6. Crouse is 26 and signed for 3 more seasons after this @ 4.3M. That aligns with our core for the most part. McBain is 23, signed through next year at 1.6M, then an RFA.

Crouse had 24 goals, 21 assists last year. So far this year, he has 10 goals and 3 assists.
McBain had 12 goals, 14 assists last year. He's currently on IR, but in 13 games he's had 4 goals, 3 assists.
Both guys are 6'4", 218-220lbs. McBain was 4th in hits last year. They aren't "deterrents," but both Crouse and McBain are guys that that will drop the gloves if a linemate is having liberties taken against them. McBain has fought Reaves and held his own/survived.
I don't disagree, especially on Crouse, but what assets do we have to trade for a player like that? Also, Arizona is trending up, not sure they are going to trade better players anymore.

Anderson seems to make sense since we don't have any real assets to trade. More of a hockey trade type of deal.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Penguins must be salivating......Corey Perry at 38 is now available to be picked up!
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:06 pm Penguins must be salivating......Corey Perry at 38 is now available to be picked up!
Sign for league minimum? :scared:
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

pronovost19 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:55 am

Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Fleury

My top 5

66 Mario - a lock
68 Jagr
87 Crosby - a lock
17 Kehoe - debatable but 371-396-767 on very forgettable Pens teams
71 Malkin or 58 Letang or 10 Francis

Imho Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby and Chico Kehoe are my top 4
Without thinking about it too much, I'd go with:
1. Mario
2. Crosby
3. Jagr
4. Malkin
5. Letang (Francis, Barrasso honorable mentions)
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Mario
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
Francis