Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Fast B »

brwi wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:32 am
maopens wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:44 am
KG wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:59 am See Tatar (and Drouin) are already healthy scratches in Colorado. We were rumored to be interested in Tatar this off-season. Mabye a swap of Tatar for Nieto (who the Avs know well)? I'm sure it's too early in the season to make a trade, but something to keep an eye on as we look to add depth scoring.
Jonathon Drouin. Haven't heard that name in a while and frankly, didn't know he was in Colorado now so I looked at his stats.

3rd overall pick in the draft and his career high is 21 goals in a season. Only hit 20 goals that one time. Appears to have been a malcontent in Tampa and later in Montreal. That kid was supposed to be great coming out of juniors.

Is he now the Ryan Leaf of NHL first rounders?
There was quite the puff piece on Drouin in The Athletic right before the season started where it was stated he supposedly turned down much better offers in order to play with close friend MacKinnon and on a strong team, it being a great fit for him, the myriad reasons his career has been trending way south, blah blah blah. While the writer seemed to be pushing the idea that Drouin was really going to flourish this year, I think they also set it up to be if Drouin can't succeed in this situation, his NHL career is probably finished. Looks like he's done. Ton of talent everywhere except between the ears.
And here I remember him being touted as "the hardest working player in hockey" by some TV bozos, in a playoff series where Sidney f'n Crosby was on the other side of the ice.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Fast B wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:21 pm
brwi wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:32 am
KG wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:59 am See Tatar (and Drouin) are already healthy scratches in Colorado. We were rumored to be interested in Tatar this off-season. Mabye a swap of Tatar for Nieto (who the Avs know well)? I'm sure it's too early in the season to make a trade, but something to keep an eye on as we look to add depth scoring.
Jonathon Drouin. Haven't heard that name in a while and frankly, didn't know he was in Colorado now so I looked at his stats.

3rd overall pick in the draft and his career high is 21 goals in a season. Only hit 20 goals that one time. Appears to have been a malcontent in Tampa and later in Montreal. That kid was supposed to be great coming out of juniors.

There was quite the puff piece on Drouin in The Athletic right before the season started where it was stated he supposedly turned down much better offers in order to play with close friend MacKinnon and on a strong team, it being a great fit for him, the myriad reasons his career has been trending way south, blah blah blah. While the writer seemed to be pushing the idea that Drouin was really going to flourish this year, I think they also set it up to be if Drouin can't succeed in this situation, his NHL career is probably finished. Looks like he's done. Ton of talent everywhere except between the ears.
And here I remember him being touted as "the hardest working player in hockey" by some TV bozos, in a playoff series where Sidney f'n Crosby was on the other side of the ice.
Did those same bozos then tell you the torch had been passed from Crosby to Giroux? LOL
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Mike Richards - Jeff Carter make a stronger 1-2 center combo than Crosby - Malkin. Remember those claims?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Sigwolf wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:59 pm Mike Richards - Jeff Carter make a stronger 1-2 center combo than Crosby - Malkin. Remember those claims?
On the pens network now, Sid's 1st game v Philadelphia.
It's quite the trip down memories lane.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

penny lane wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:27 pm
Sigwolf wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:59 pm Mike Richards - Jeff Carter make a stronger 1-2 center combo than Crosby - Malkin. Remember those claims?
On the pens network now, Sid's 1st game v Philadelphia.
It's quite the trip down memories lane.
Freakin' Hatcher...
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Yeah, I was just thinking of those days when Pierre had a huge man-crush on Richards as well as the Flyers and constantly trying to put Richards on Sid's level.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:09 am

I'm not sure who ruined his career more, Drouin himself, or his agent Allan Walsh. I remember clearly that, when Drouin's 3 year ELC expired with Tampa, he was demanding Stamkos level money. In his first 3 seasons, Drouin had 95 total points. In Stamkos first 3 seasons, he had 237 points. I kept asking myself "How does this guy think he's in the same class as Stamkos when it comes to salary?"

Either Walsh gave him really bad advice trying to get that level of money, or Drouin is really full of himself...or a combination of the two.
I thought it was Drouin's father that screwed things up?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

At least it looks like Carter is saying the right things about being the odd man out right now. Hopefully he’s like this in the room too. I’m trying to think of a specific situation where he would be a better option than anyone else right now and even better than Poulin or Nylander and I can’t think of anything where he would be an asset instead of not hurting the team as much by playing. He hasn’t taken faceoffs or killed penalties which is what you expect him to bring to the team.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Taylor was saying that the Pens are terminating Andreas Johnsson's contract so he can sign overseas. Give the Pens more flexibility with NHL contracts, and put them at 47.

Good.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:23 am Taylor was saying that the Pens are terminating Andreas Johnsson's contract so he can sign overseas. Give the Pens more flexibility with NHL contracts, and put them at 47.

Good.
Pysyk signing in the future somewhere, maybe, eventually?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:13 am
KG wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:23 am Taylor was saying that the Pens are terminating Andreas Johnsson's contract so he can sign overseas. Give the Pens more flexibility with NHL contracts, and put them at 47.

Good.
Pysyk signing in the future somewhere, maybe, eventually?
Signs point to the Penguins signing him. He has had a locker at the practice facility the whole time.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Good.
I really thought he'd show something more while here. Fully expected him to get an NHL spot. How quickly they can go down, eh?

I see in that DK article, he hasn't even played a game for WBS yet due to personal reasons. Hope he's OK.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:39 pm

Good.
I really thought he'd show something more while here. Fully expected him to get an NHL spot. How quickly they can go down, eh?

I see in that DK article, he hasn't even played a game for WBS yet due to personal reasons. Hope he's OK.
Did not see Johnsson on waivers today, so they haven't terminated yet.

There was a big name player on waivers today though...Jack Campbell. As some have said, could this be the route we see taken with Jarry in a year or two if he doesn't pickup his play? (Pure rumor/hopes/dreams, but I did see someone saying Edmonton should go all in and throw whatever is needed at Nashville for Saros. I haven't watched, but the majority seem to point to abysmal goaltending for the Oilers woes)

Also, NPR, but Freddie Andersen of the Canes was diagnosed with a blood clot. Canes signed Halak to a PTO and emergency recalled Kochetkov
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/ ... l/1/123339

Says Pens really like Garland. Eklund, but still fun to speculate. I'm sure the Pens would love Garland, but his contract is rough. What type of deal makes sense? Cartssss would have to waive his NMC I would think?
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

KG wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:16 pm https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/ ... l/1/123339

Says Pens really like Garland. Eklund, but still fun to speculate. I'm sure the Pens would love Garland, but his contract is rough. What type of deal makes sense? Cartssss would have to waive his NMC I would think?
No thanks to more 5'10 170 lb hockey players. He's the anti-thesis of what this team needs. He's streaky, small, and highly overpaid.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:16 pm https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/ ... l/1/123339

What does Garland offer that the Penguins don't already have? If they can trade a Rust or a Jake to make the salaries match, fine we can discuss why that's a good/bad deal, but I wouldn't put much effort into taking that contract.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Clicking that link gives me a host error, which basically summarizes my feelings about the source.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:32 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:39 pm

Good.

Did not see Johnsson on waivers today, so they haven't terminated yet.

There was a big name player on waivers today though...Jack Campbell. As some have said, could this be the route we see taken with Jarry in a year or two if he doesn't pickup his play? (Pure rumor/hopes/dreams, but I did see someone saying Edmonton should go all in and throw whatever is needed at Nashville for Saros. I haven't watched, but the majority seem to point to abysmal goaltending for the Oilers woes)

Also, NPR, but Freddie Andersen of the Canes was diagnosed with a blood clot. Canes signed Halak to a PTO and emergency recalled Kochetkov
He's on waivers today:

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
Johnsson (PIT) on unconditional waivers for the purposes of contract termination
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:35 pm

What does Garland offer that the Penguins don't already have? If they can trade a Rust or a Jake to make the salaries match, fine we can discuss why that's a good/bad deal, but I wouldn't put much effort into taking that contract.
I'm not a fan of the player or the contract, but if the Penguins were to make a move, I wonder if something like POJ & DOC for Garland and a pick (with retention) would work. I'd rather have DOC because he has some size and Garland's body type is the same as 50% or more of our forwards...but while overpaid, Garland has put up consistent 3rd line numbers and 10 games into the season, DOC is struggling and not seizing his opportunity with more ice time. POJ seems to keep getting pushed further down the depth chart.

But I don't see a deal working. Vancouver is looking to clear cap space, so it's doubtful they want to retain 50% on Garland for this year plus 2 more. Vancouver also has enough LD and no real room for POJ.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:26 pm

I'm not a fan of the player or the contract, but if the Penguins were to make a move, I wonder if something like POJ & DOC for Garland and a pick (with retention) would work. I'd rather have DOC because he has some size and Garland's body type is the same as 50% or more of our forwards...but while overpaid, Garland has put up consistent 3rd line numbers and 10 games into the season, DOC is struggling and not seizing his opportunity with more ice time. POJ seems to keep getting pushed further down the depth chart.

But I don't see a deal working. Vancouver is looking to clear cap space, so it's doubtful they want to retain 50% on Garland for this year plus 2 more. Vancouver also has enough LD and no real room for POJ.
That's my view as well, if it's a pure salary dump, Jake for Garland makes sense for Vancouver, but why would the Penguins do that? Him for DOC and POJ won't really work for the cap and why would the Penguins do that, they can likely get a better return for those two players.

If I'm trading Jake, I would want a top end power forward with some term or a high draft pick.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Daniel wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:33 pm

That's my view as well, if it's a pure salary dump, Jake for Garland makes sense for Vancouver, but why would the Penguins do that? Him for DOC and POJ won't really work for the cap and why would the Penguins do that, they can likely get a better return for those two players.

If I'm trading Jake, I would want a top end power forward with some term or a high draft pick.
Trading Guentzel is the nuclear option. If he goes out, the window is shut and large pieces of crooked wood are nailed in front of it, most likely.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:11 pm
Daniel wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:33 pm

Trading Guentzel is the nuclear option. If he goes out, the window is shut and large pieces of crooked wood are nailed in front of it, most likely.
Though I kind of agree with you, I think it depends on the return. 1st round pick and AHL top prospect is one thing, top power forward in a hockey trade is another.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

Just saw that the Sharks won their first game of the season. They beat the Flyers. Bahahahahaha!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

E-Ramone wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:22 pm Just saw that the Sharks won their first game of the season. They beat the Flyers. Bahahahahaha!
I'd laugh but we're still tied for worst in the Eastern conference, so I'll refrain from making fun of others.