Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:38 pm It’s almost like Canada designs the plays to throw the ball 5 feet short and no QB has the guts to run it correctly.
The offensive game plan seems to be all contested catches and a few bombs.
The defensive game plan seems to be everyone is wide open except a few plays.

This is just a badly coached team in all phases.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Canada needs to go. Every single second he is still with this team will require more time to undo his mess. This season is done.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Who could the Steelers bring in to replace Canada?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Admin wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:59 pm Who could the Steelers bring in to replace Canada?
Anyone. I don’t care at this point. Anyone different would be better because he is the worst OC I have ever seen.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

It shows what a pathetic division they're in when the Steelers can be blown out 30-6, yet still equal the combined points scored by the Bengals and Browns.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Promoting Mike Sullivan would be interesting for the name.

https://www.steelers.com/team/coaches-r ... e-sullivan
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Admin wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:24 pm Promoting Mike Sullivan would be interesting for the name.

https://www.steelers.com/team/coaches-r ... e-sullivan
I mean, Jeff Carter might be better at run blocking at this point....
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Steelers might want to look into a new charter company.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Did Pickett get hurt on one of the plays he decided to roll out of the pocket into their defense?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Admin wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:11 pm
I think Pickett is a mess because of Canada. I wasn't real high on Pickett when he got drafted, but he does show signs that he can be a quality QB. Problem is this offense is predictable.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

He looked great in preseason but currently has zero faith in the OL.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Admin wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:43 pm He looked great in preseason but currently has zero faith in the OL.
It's easy playing against vanilla defenses. The predictable 5 plays from Matt Canada look great when the other team isn't showing their regular season defense.

Problem is, Matt Canada doesn't realize the season has started and he's waiting to unveil the offense. Pickett under center is either a rush up the middle or a play action pass with Pickett moving to his right. The receivers usually have stationary routes and the TE isn't really a safety valve. Big Ben had Heath Miller for years and I think the Steelers might have 2 TEs better than Miller today. Problem is Canada doesn't know how to use them. Pickett would calm down a ton if he can go back to the pocket and have a TE or crossing WR to quickly throw the ball to....kinda like Houston is doing with Stroud.

The only time Canada is unpredictable is on 3rd or 4th and short where he overcomplicates what should be a simple line up and play smashmouth football. This OL and RB and TEs are skilled enough to do it, problem again is coaching. Instead of all 11 moving forward for 1 yard or less he does a jet sweep or a pitch to the outside. Of course neither fool the defense.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I guess the question with Pickett is did he play like this at Pitt? If no then they need to get rid of Canada before he does any more damage. If the bad things Pickett is doing showed up in college then we have a QB problem that will get worse regardless of the OC.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:11 pm I guess the question with Pickett is did he play like this at Pitt? If no then they need to get rid of Canada before he does any more damage. If the bad things Pickett is doing showed up in college then we have a QB problem that will get worse regardless of the OC.
I think Canada needs to go regardless and if Pickett isn't out for the season come out of the bye week with a better scheme. If Pickett doesn't show anything they'll likely end up with a top 10 pick and should be able to get a QB from what's supposed to be a deep QB class.

The way I look at it, replacing Canada will regress Pickett but not to the point of a top 5-10 pick. If he shows better chemistry with the new OC then try again next year. I think Kenny would thrive in the SF and Hou offensive schemes.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Some OC candidates from SI. Article is written for next season but you know...

The Rising Offensive Coaches is probably where they'd be looking:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/09/29/futur ... aily-cover

Pat Shurmur's name was thrown around for the Commanders' position. Wonder if he's tired of being "Quality Control Analyst (Offense)" under Coach Prime in Colorado.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Admin wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:07 pm Some OC candidates from SI. Article is written for next season but you know...

The Rising Offensive Coaches is probably where they'd be looking:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/09/29/futur ... aily-cover

Pat Shurmur's name was thrown around for the Commanders' position. Wonder if he's tired of being "Quality Control Analyst (Offense)" under Coach Prime in Colorado.
I'd get an interim veteran coach that can come in and stabilize things, no idea who but I'm sure they can find someone. I think this offense can do a west coast style offense like the ones that absolutely kill this defense. This offseason find a young innovate next gen west coast guy and see what Kenny can do with a real NFL scheme.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

PFF has credited Pickett as the person responsible for 8 of the 11 sacks given up. Can’t blame Canada for that.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:52 am PFF has credited Pickett as the person responsible for 8 of the 11 sacks given up. Can’t blame Canada for that.
Neither of us were that sold on Pickett and he's had spurts of good play but has been underwhelming so far. That said, I think Matt Canada is the problem and I think the offensive scheme is so bad it is not getting the best out of Pickett.

Yes he leaves clean pockets and yes that's his fault, but the coaching knows this and doesn't scheme for that weakness with quick passes and crossing routes. I'd like to see how good Kenny does with an NFL caliber OC. He still might not be good enough but who knows.

I'd like to add that I've always reserved judgement on Tomlin until after Ben goes since it's never been 100% his team. Now it's 100% his team and it's a badly coached team. Being blown out in half the games so far with a talented roster is a good sign of bad coaching.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Admin wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:55 pm
The standard is the standard, unfortunately the standard that the standard is has become mediocrity.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

(paraphrasing, slightly)

We're happy with our 8th grade offense and you should be too.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Claypools value went from 1st pick of the 2nd round to 2025 sixth-round pick in less than one season AND the Bears are sending a 2025 seventh-round pick as well.

If Omar Kahn was as good at changing coaches as he is with trades and drafting, the Steelers would be a contender.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Pittsburgh Steelers Participation/Injury Report, Week 5

Game Status
No. 6 P Pressley Harvin (Hamstring, Right) - Out
No. 56 LB Alex Highsmith (Groin) - Questionable
No. 65 OL Dan Moore Jr. (Knee) - Out
No. 78 OL James Daniels (Groin) - Out
No. 88 TE Pat Freiermuth (Hamstring) - Out
No. 98 DE DeMarvin Leal (Concussion) - Out

Pickett, Harris, and Okorafor are in.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Admin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:17 pm Pittsburgh Steelers Participation/Injury Report, Week 5

Game Status
No. 6 P Pressley Harvin (Hamstring, Right) - Out
No. 56 LB Alex Highsmith (Groin) - Questionable
No. 65 OL Dan Moore Jr. (Knee) - Out
No. 78 OL James Daniels (Groin) - Out
No. 88 TE Pat Freiermuth (Hamstring) - Out
No. 98 DE DeMarvin Leal (Concussion) - Out

Pickett, Harris, and Okorafor are in.
That’s an awful lot of muscle strains for this early in the season. I wonder if having a cheap and small coaching staff applies to the training people as well. Or maybe they just have the Penguins trainers.