2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by KG »

Former Pen Brandon Sutter going to Edmonton on a PTO
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Pagnotta on NHL Network says that the Canadiens are willing to retain salary on Jeff Petry.

At what price does Petry become a valuable asset?
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Three Stars wrote:Pagnotta on NHL Network says that the Canadiens are willing to retain salary on Jeff Petry.

I'm surprised that nobody would want him at his currently reduced cap hit. 4.6 per for two years seems reasonable for a top-4 defenseman who can play minutes on both special teams.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Three Stars wrote:Pagnotta on NHL Network says that the Canadiens are willing to retain salary on Jeff Petry.

They are probably going to need to retain 50% on him to get him around 2-2.5M AAV. The main reason is, without taking back another contract, there are only 6 teams that have the cap space to take him on at 4.68M. At 2.3M, you add 5 more teams to that mix, plus another 3 that could through in a league minimum player to help fit Petry.

That's the biggest issue trying to wheel and deal at this point, most of the cap money is gone.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Devils signed Cal Foote 1 year $800k. Two-way deal. Was looking at him as a potential 3RD for us, but he hasn't been very good either.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:Devils signed Cal Foote 1 year $800k. Two-way deal. Was looking at him as a potential 3RD for us, but he hasn't been very good either.
There really aren't many good options left. I was one of the few that liked Rutta. He wasn't a world beater, but I thought he brought more than Ruhwedel last season. He was also playing injured much of the year (learned that when he spoke after going to SJ). Not going to lament his loss because we got Karlsson, but we could still use a good, cheap, defensively solid RH for the 3rd pairing.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:Devils signed Cal Foote 1 year $800k. Two-way deal. Was looking at him as a potential 3RD for us, but he hasn't been very good either.
There really aren't many good options left. I was one of the few that liked Rutta. He wasn't a world beater, but I thought he brought more than Ruhwedel last season. He was also playing injured much of the year (learned that when he spoke after going to SJ). Not going to lament his loss because we got Karlsson, but we could still use a good, cheap, defensively solid RH for the 3rd pairing.
Yeah, I liked Rutta too for what he was--a solid 3rd pairing RD. He was probably making too much for the Pens for his role given their cap situation and other needs, but in a vacuum, I don't think his contract is that bad.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote:
I read Justin Braun as a name to keep an eye on—perhaps as a PTO candidate. He's a RH defense-first guy, and I believe was a teammate of Karlsson in S.J. I'm sure he could be had on a 1-year veteran minimum contract. The other option is to deal either Smith or POJ for another youngish RH defenseman (who's essentially in a similar career/salary category), and use whomever isn't dealt to man the left side on the bottom pair. This would also keep Ruhwedel as your 7th defenseman.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

dark_forces wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
I read Justin Braun as a name to keep an eye on—perhaps as a PTO candidate. He's a RH defense-first guy, and I believe was a teammate of Karlsson in S.J. I'm sure he could be had on a 1-year veteran minimum contract. The other option is to deal either Smith or POJ for another youngish RH defenseman (who's essentially in a similar career/salary category), and use whomever isn't dealt to man the left side on the bottom pair. This would also keep Ruhwedel as your 7th defenseman.
Braun retired this off-season I'm pretty sure. But I agree, maybe moving one of Smith/POJ for a more defensive younger RD man might make sense.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Martin Jones to Toronto 1 year $875K

Small signings starting to trickle in.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Wow.. I totally missed Kraken signing Dumo for 3.125Mx2 and a 10 team list NTC. They will have a third pair of Dumo-Schultz next year it looks like. :shock:

Are we *sure* Hextall isn't managing Seattle now?
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Daniel Sprong reportedly assaulted a Canadian race car driver, according to the driver’s instagram.

I have two thoughts about this. For one, Canadian car races must be very polite affairs. “Sohrry. Scuse me. Sohrry.”

For two…where was this truculence before from Sprong? Brian Burke would have signed him in an instant. 20 goals in 11 minutes of ice time per game plus 1 sucker punch/60 is surely worth a couple of million dollars a year.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pius Suter 2 years $1.6 AAV to Vancouver.

We’re holding out for Tatar obviously :)
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:Pius Suter 2 years $1.6 AAV to Vancouver.

We’re holding out for Tatar obviously :)
I'd like to add him, but I'm not seeing the magical cap space that Dubas does.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Sad news this was the kid Toronto selected with our pick we traded to them for Kapanen.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/381 ... rain-tumor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

thehockeyguru wrote:Sad news this was the kid Toronto selected with our pick we traded to them for Kapanen.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/381 ... rain-tumor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heart breaking stuff. Man....

Hard to follow that, but here goes...

IIHF ruled on Fedotov, you will remember the Russian goalie the flyers drafted. He was sent into exile, I mean military service by the Russian government. His military service has ended and he's now signed to CSKA Moscow, a club with strong ties to the military (to which it historically owes its name). However, Flyers had him under contract when he was forced into service.

Flyers (and the NHL) postponed his contract to this year, meaning he's under contract for PHI and should serve out that contract, before he can sign a new KHL deal. Russians of course don't agree and won't cooperate.

IIHF has banned CSKA from making international trades and has suspended Fedotov for four months for national and international play.. NHL (Daly) has indicated that if Fedotov serves his contract in PHI, they will not penalize him.

I don't think Fedotov will ever see NHL ice though.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Seth Rorabaugh Retweeted
Detroit Red Wings
@DetroitRedWings
·
6m
UPDATE: The #RedWings today acquired defenseman Jeff Petry from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for Gustav Lindstrom and a conditional 4th round pick in 2025.
The trade that keeps on ticking.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

penny lane wrote:
Seth Rorabaugh Retweeted
Detroit Red Wings
@DetroitRedWings
·
6m
UPDATE: The #RedWings today acquired defenseman Jeff Petry from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for Gustav Lindstrom and a conditional 4th round pick in 2025.
Montreal retained 50% on Petry, so Detroit gets him for 2.34M. A really good price for Detroit.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Casey DeSmith is being told that he’ll either be traded or someone else will be traded to make room for him. Not a lot of in betweens there.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Seth Rorabaugh Retweeted
Detroit Red Wings
@DetroitRedWings
·
6m
Montreal retained 50% on Petry, so Detroit gets him for 2.34M. A really good price for Detroit.
So I guess we can assume the reason we didn't involve Detroit as the 3rd team in the EK trade was because Detroit wanted us to retain a big portion of Petry's salary which wouldn't have worked for us.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Seth Rorabaugh Retweeted
Detroit Red Wings
@DetroitRedWings
·
6m
So I guess we can assume the reason we didn't involve Detroit as the 3rd team in the EK trade was because Detroit wanted us to retain a big portion of Petry's salary which wouldn't have worked for us.
I'm shocked that all Petry returned at $2.34 million. We've seen some bad D with much higher cap hits return 1sts plus. And all Petry could get is a 24 year old suspect and conditional 4th?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Seth Rorabaugh Retweeted
Detroit Red Wings
@DetroitRedWings
·
6m
Shame the Penguins couldn't have used Detroit instead of Montreal. 24 year old right handed defensemen would have been nice.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Seth Rorabaugh Retweeted
Detroit Red Wings
@DetroitRedWings
·
6m
Shame the Penguins couldn't have used Detroit instead of Montreal. 24 year old right handed defensemen would have been nice.
Penguins wouldn't have been able to get the price down to Detroit's liking. He needed to be "washed" through a 3rd team. If Pittsburgh retained half and dealt straight with Detroit, he'd cost them 3.125M, almost 1M more, and SJ would have had to retain more on Karlsson. So, one way or another, we would have paid more or received less.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Seth Rorabaugh Retweeted
Detroit Red Wings
@DetroitRedWings
·
6m
Penguins wouldn't have been able to get the price down to Detroit's liking. He needed to be "washed" through a 3rd team. If Pittsburgh retained half and dealt straight with Detroit, he'd cost them 3.125M, almost 1M more, and SJ would have had to retain more on Karlsson. So, one way or another, we would have paid more or received less.
I know it was pretty impossible, but still, a 24 year old RH defensemen would have been a nice pickup.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Daniel wrote:I know it was pretty impossible, but still, a 24 year old RH defensemen would have been a nice pickup.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not that nice of a pickup.