2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by ville5 »

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
KG wrote:Very rich for AA. If he gets $4.25 mill what does Zucker get??
AA had 20 goals 40 points so 4.25M isn't bad. Zucker at 48 points should be around 5M AAV
There's a site I've been using recently (because it's free) called AFP Analytics.

They had AA at just over 3M AAV on a 3 year deal.
They have Zucker at 5.4M on a 5 year deal, and Bertuzzi at 5.25M on a 6 year deal, ROR at 3 years 5.4M
Is that the site linked on daily faceoff?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
AA had 20 goals 40 points so 4.25M isn't bad. Zucker at 48 points should be around 5M AAV
There's a site I've been using recently (because it's free) called AFP Analytics.

They have Zucker at 5.4M on a 5 year deal, and Bertuzzi at 5.25M on a 6 year deal, ROR at 3 years 5.4M
Not sure, it was retweeted to me on Twitter a few days ago.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Interesting comment from Paul Maurice this morning regarding the Panthers. He said the Panthers have made this series more physical than it needs to be. Said there is an energy cost to finish so many checks, and that 22 checks/hits in the 1st period of Game 2 was way too much. Said the team doesn't need 66 hits in a game.

Do we finally see a little more disciplined, controlled Panthers team tonight at home?
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

For the most part, probably yeah. Keep in mind the have Tkachuk so maybe not for him.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote:
ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Not sure, it was retweeted to me on Twitter a few days ago.
If Athanasiou got 4.2 mil per season, there's no way Zucker gets less than 5 mil per. In fact, keeping him at his current 5.5 annual salary may be a long shot, unless they signed him for 4-5 years.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Finals like this makes you think twice about having a Cinderella team make the finals.

Would much rather see Boston, Tampa, Toronto, Devils, Canes go against Vegas.

Far from exciting hockey
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote:Finals like this makes you think twice about having a Cinderella team make the finals.

Far from exciting hockey
The sooner it's over the better, I' never want to hear Keith Jones do commentary again
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

At least I get to watch some OT tonight. That Tkachuk guy is pretty good.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:Finals like this makes you think twice about having a Cinderella team make the finals.

Far from exciting hockey
How much of it is Florida not being good enough, and how much of it is Florida losing all their momentum by having to wait over a week to start the Finals.

PS - Panthers Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!!!!!!!!
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

I, too, would much rather see the Pens in the playoffs. As for this year’s teams, I am thoroughly enjoying the games, including watching some of the the world championship and the juniors. With the alternative being no hockey at all, I know what I’d choose.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Someone tackle Jarmo in CBJ. Friedman reports that CBJ and NJ are working on a sign and trade deal for Damon Severson, which will pay Severson 6.25M AAV for 8 years.

CBJ loading up on inconsistent d-men at a premium.

Devils get a 2023 3rd round pick for facilitating the trade.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote:Someone tackle Jarmo in CBJ. Friedman reports that CBJ and NJ are working on a sign and trade deal for Damon Severson, which will pay Severson 6.25M AAV for 8 years.

CBJ loading up on inconsistent d-men at a premium.

Devils get a 2023 3rd round pick for facilitating the trade.
CBJ is definitely paying the UFA tax to get the player to sign there. 8 years is nuts. Jarmo probably fighting for his job.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

So far Cats looking like a wild card team tonight, again.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

offsides wrote:So far Cats looking like a wild card team tonight, again.
Definitely not a great final...Wrap it up. Let's get the off-season started!
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

KG wrote:
offsides wrote:So far Cats looking like a wild card team tonight, again.
Definitely not a great final...Wrap it up. Let's get the off-season started!
I almost jinxed the Knights. That Tkachuk guy almost tied it.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Friedman says Laughton could possibly be available if Briere gets offers he likes.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Freidman said a lot of teams are calling Calgary on Hanifin with the weak UFA d man market...Yes please. He would be a great partner for Letang.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote:Freidman said a lot of teams are calling Calgary on Hanifin with the weak UFA d man market...Yes please. He would be a great partner for Letang.
Would Calgary be interested in a slightly 31 year old Finnish LW that can pass pucks and fill at C?
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Puck-Lurker wrote:
KG wrote:Freidman said a lot of teams are calling Calgary on Hanifin with the weak UFA d man market...Yes please. He would be a great partner for Letang.
Would Calgary be interested in a slightly 31 year old Finnish LW that can pass pucks and fill at C?
I'm still stuck on why everyone thinks Granlund is so awful. He came to a Pittsburgh team in disarray and was put on a patchwork line that had players moving in and out. He's been more of a point producer and typically plays with more skilled players than he did during his time here. I would like to see him with a veteran center who has some skill and see how he does. That said, I don't think he's worth 5 mil. per season.
From the perspective of another team, especially a cap floor team, I would be interested in him for a 5th round pick if Pittsburgh retains 1 mil of his salary. Maybe we'll see something like this happen.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

dark_forces wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
I'm still stuck on why everyone thinks Granlund is so awful. He came to a Pittsburgh team in disarray and was put on a patchwork line that had players moving in and out. He's been more of a point producer and typically plays with more skilled players than he did during his time here. I would like to see him with a veteran center who has some skill and see how he does. That said, I don't think he's worth 5 mil. per season.
From the perspective of another team, especially a cap floor team, I would be interested in him for a 5th round pick if Pittsburgh retains 1 mil of his salary. Maybe we'll see something like this happen.
I think a lot of it fits into the larger context of the situation. They had just cleared quite a bit of cap which was exactly what the team needed and then turned around and spent it on one $5mil player that did not fit any current need... for multiple years.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
That bolded statement is the problem. He's overpaid by quite a bit. It's not necessarily Granlund's fault, but when you have Granlund taking up 5M, Carter taking up 3.25M, had Kapanen at one point making 3.2M, and had Blueger making 2.2M...it all adds up. (I know they were not all on the roster at the same time)

The problem moving forward is, Granlund brings nothing different to this lineup. He doesn't excel in an area where the Penguins have a gap. The 5M spent on Granlund could be spent much better on another resource. What if I told you we could sign ROR, but cannot because we decided to keep Granlund....or Zucker would have stayed for 5M...but we couldn't because we decided to keep Granlund.

This is also why I think Granlund may not be a huge immovable contract. He put up 60 something points the year before last. But he's not excellent on faceoffs, he's not excellent defensively, he brings no size, he's not really a goal scorer, he's not speedy. He just doesn't do anything exceptionally well to justify paying him 5M.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

According to Seravalli, Orlov is looking for $8mill AAV. I know the cap is due to increase in the next couple of seasons, but still...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Roy stepped down from the Ramparts. Have to think he has something lined up?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Larry Brooks
@NYP_Brooksie
·
12m
It's Laviolette, Post has learned. https://nypost.com/2023/06/13/rangers-h ... itebuttons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via
@nypostsports
I'd take Roy here as an assistant coach .
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

penny lane wrote:
Larry Brooks
@NYP_Brooksie
·
12m
It's Laviolette, Post has learned. https://nypost.com/2023/06/13/rangers-h ... itebuttons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via
@nypostsports
I'd take Roy here as an assistant coach .
I'll keep all hot-headed, fighting goalies away from this team moving forward, please! :wink: