2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by stonewizard51 »

KG wrote:Edmonton out. You need to defend hard and have timely goaltending to win a Cup. Edmonton still does not.
I was hoping this was McDavid's year. :(
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

KG wrote:Edmonton out. You need to defend hard and have timely goaltending to win a Cup. Edmonton still does not.
Edmonton and Toronto have flawed rosters for sure. Good regular season teams but that isn't going to get you far. You need forward depth, good defenders, and goalies. As good as McDavid is, you can't have a top 6 and lack of stopping the other team from scoring. Honestly, going back to his Erie days, he's only been to a championship round 1 time. That's not his fault, but 1 guy can't do it all. As for TOR, you can't have ~50% of your cap hit tied up in four forwards and expect to go deep. It's not a shocker that they didn't make it out of the second round. Surprised they made it out of the first really
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

ville5 wrote:God Bless the man! Uncle Lou expected to sign a 3-year extension prior to his contract expiring later this month. At 80 years old.
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/05 ... nsion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the Islanders reign of mediocrity continues. Why do teams do this stuff?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
·
1h
Leafs say Brendan Shanahan will not speak today but will speak to media in the coming days
Players, Dubas and Keefe will speak today
I don't think Dubas is leaving the leafs.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So is the Oilers problem they lean on McDavid and Draisatl too much? They seemed like a good team but again failed. Seeing similar issues in Toronto and Winnipeg. At a high level Dallas and Vegas seem built similar yet they have gone deep in the playoffs recently.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote:So is the Oilers problem they lean on McDavid and Draisatl too much? They seemed like a good team but again failed. Seeing similar issues in Toronto and Winnipeg. At a high level Dallas and Vegas seem built similar yet they have gone deep in the playoffs recently.
Just taking a quick look at the stats and the cap...I think Edmonton is closer than they have been, but it's their defense and goaltending that is now letting them down.

8 players for Edmonton had at least 3 goals. 1 of them was a defenseman. But, only Seattle has given up more goals against in the playoffs. I think one of the biggest issues Edmonton has is they don't have a true #1 defenseman. Nurse is paid 9.25M, but I don't know of many people outside Edmonton (and maybe even in the area of EDM) that think Nurse is that good. He's more a #2-#3 guy.

Skinner was hot early on, but faded badly. There are 7 goalies who have played 8 games or more in the playoffs so far, and Skinner is in the bottom of nearly every category at this point.

What all this tells me is...Edmonton needs Jeff Petry. :lol:
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:
DelPen wrote:So is the Oilers problem they lean on McDavid and Draisatl too much? They seemed like a good team but again failed. Seeing similar issues in Toronto and Winnipeg. At a high level Dallas and Vegas seem built similar yet they have gone deep in the playoffs recently.
Just taking a quick look at the stats and the cap...I think Edmonton is closer than they have been, but it's their defense and goaltending that is now letting them down.

8 players for Edmonton had at least 3 goals. 1 of them was a defenseman. But, only Seattle has given up more goals against in the playoffs. I think one of the biggest issues Edmonton has is they don't have a true #1 defenseman. Nurse is paid 9.25M, but I don't know of many people outside Edmonton (and maybe even in the area of EDM) that think Nurse is that good. He's more a #2-#3 guy.

Skinner was hot early on, but faded badly. There are 7 goalies who have played 8 games or more in the playoffs so far, and Skinner is in the bottom of nearly every category at this point.

Brian Dumoulin would be a perfect fit for the Oilers. Not just because he is a pretty good defensive defensemen, but I think his leadership is underrated. He knows how to win, knows how to win in the playoffs, and I think would be a perfect fit. Don’t care that it might be a 2nd pairing, I think he’d elevate others.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Brian Dumoulin would be a perfect fit for the Oilers. Not just because he is a pretty good defensive defensemen, but I think his leadership is underrated. He knows how to win, knows how to win in the playoffs, and I think would be a perfect fit. Don’t care that it might be a 2nd pairing, I think he’d elevate others.
If you're going to say Dumo knows how to win in the playoffs, then you also have to say that he doesn't know how to win in the playoffs, because of their results over the last 5 seasons.

How does he elevate others when he's an anchor that needs dragging around? I really hope this was sarcasm.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

murphydump55 wrote:
Daniel wrote:Brian Dumoulin would be a perfect fit for the Oilers. Not just because he is a pretty good defensive defensemen, but I think his leadership is underrated. He knows how to win, knows how to win in the playoffs, and I think would be a perfect fit. Don’t care that it might be a 2nd pairing, I think he’d elevate others.
If you're going to say Dumo knows how to win in the playoffs, then you also have to say that he doesn't know how to win in the playoffs, because of their results over the last 5 seasons.

How does he elevate others when he's an anchor that needs dragging around? I really hope this was sarcasm.
He knows how to win and he knows how to lose in the playoffs whereas the Oilers know how to lose. Quick glance of the Oiler's roster and Dumoulin has more cup rings than the entire roster combined (didn't do a deep dive, but quick glance).

I think he elevates others with leadership is all, no way he elevates on the ice. I think he'd help in the locker room and on the bench. He isn't a 1st pairing defensemen for sure but he's still useful. I think he's at the grizzled veteran stage of his career and could do well with a roster like Edmonton's.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Soft perimeter player The Great McCann only 1 goal in 7 playoff games? Couldn't be. An 11.7 goal pace for 82 when it counts?
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Enjoyable read.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/no ... or-change/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Daniel wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Daniel wrote:Brian Dumoulin would be a perfect fit for the Oilers. Not just because he is a pretty good defensive defensemen, but I think his leadership is underrated. He knows how to win, knows how to win in the playoffs, and I think would be a perfect fit. Don’t care that it might be a 2nd pairing, I think he’d elevate others.

He knows how to win and he knows how to lose in the playoffs whereas the Oilers know how to lose. Quick glance of the Oiler's roster and Dumoulin has more cup rings than the entire roster combined (didn't do a deep dive, but quick glance).

I think he elevates others with leadership is all, no way he elevates on the ice. I think he'd help in the locker room and on the bench. He isn't a 1st pairing defensemen for sure but he's still useful. I think he's at the grizzled veteran stage of his career and could do well with a roster like Edmonton's.
Didn't Edmonton try that with Duncan Keith? Granted, they weren't as far along with the Dynamic Duo, but still...same type player at that stage. Also, they landed Mattias Ekholm - can't get much better a grizzled defender. I still maintain they need a dynamic offensive Dman to help push the offense up ice - Erik Karlsson should be their target.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote:
Daniel wrote:He knows how to win and he knows how to lose in the playoffs whereas the Oilers know how to lose. Quick glance of the Oiler's roster and Dumoulin has more cup rings than the entire roster combined (didn't do a deep dive, but quick glance).

Didn't Edmonton try that with Duncan Keith? Granted, they weren't as far along with the Dynamic Duo, but still...same type player at that stage. Also, they landed Mattias Ekholm - can't get much better a grizzled defender. I still maintain they need a dynamic offensive Dman to help push the offense up ice - Erik Karlsson should be their target.
I think Duncan Keith still played about 30 minutes and was no where near as good as he was. They seem to have good puck movers in Bouchard and Nurse. Ekholm is a good example and the problem might be the lack of defensive forwards.......perhaps Carter? :fist:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

ville5 wrote:Enjoyable read.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/no ... or-change/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" I don't have it in me to move"~ well unless I have a blank check. 8-)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Daniel wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Daniel wrote:He knows how to win and he knows how to lose in the playoffs whereas the Oilers know how to lose. Quick glance of the Oiler's roster and Dumoulin has more cup rings than the entire roster combined (didn't do a deep dive, but quick glance).

I think Duncan Keith still played about 30 minutes and was no where near as good as he was. They seem to have good puck movers in Bouchard and Nurse. Ekholm is a good example and the problem might be the lack of defensive forwards.......perhaps Carter? :fist:
Yeah, I thought for sure Edmonton was going to the conference finals at least. Seems they still need some work. I would agree that they need better depth down the line. Similar to the Pens, the top 6 is fine. Looking at their bottom six, a bunch of no-names. They have also whiffed big-time on the goalie situation forever. I'd suggest that might be the biggest issue.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote:
Daniel wrote: I think Duncan Keith still played about 30 minutes and was no where near as good as he was. They seem to have good puck movers in Bouchard and Nurse. Ekholm is a good example and the problem might be the lack of defensive forwards.......perhaps Carter? :fist:
Yeah, I thought for sure Edmonton was going to the conference finals at least. Seems they still need some work. I would agree that they need better depth down the line. Similar to the Pens, the top 6 is fine. Looking at their bottom six, a bunch of no-names. They have also whiffed big-time on the goalie situation forever. I'd suggest that might be the biggest issue.
One thing the Penguins and Edmonton have in common is the lack of a bottom six, though I think Nugent-Hopkins is their 3C so should be better. Edmonton's biggest problem might be cap space since no one is giving anything back whereas the Penguins have what $8M in cap space because of the discounts the top players have given over the years.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Sounding like hockey in Arizona may be coming to an end. There are several 2-3 items on ballots in Arizona tonight regarding building a new arena, and I believe 2 of the 3 items are getting soundly defeated. Some are saying losing these votes tonight could finally spell the end of hockey in Arizona...until Gary steps in and says everything is fine.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote:Sounding like hockey in Arizona may be coming to an end. There are several 2-3 items on ballots in Arizona tonight regarding building a new arena, and I believe 2 of the 3 items are getting soundly defeated. Some are saying losing these votes tonight could finally spell the end of hockey in Arizona...until Gary steps in and says everything is fine.
All three failed. And I can see why since there are already two arenas that can host the Yotes with Gila River and Footprint Center where the Yotes have worn out their welcome I guess and people didn’t want a third place.

NHL has two options, essentially give the team away to either Suns ownership or whoever manages one of those arenas or sell to an out of state owner and move.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Sounding like hockey in Arizona may be coming to an end. There are several 2-3 items on ballots in Arizona tonight regarding building a new arena, and I believe 2 of the 3 items are getting soundly defeated. Some are saying losing these votes tonight could finally spell the end of hockey in Arizona...until Gary steps in and says everything is fine.
All three failed. And I can see why since there are already two arenas that can host the Yotes with Gila River and Footprint Center where the Yotes have worn out their welcome I guess and people didn’t want a third place.

NHL has two options, essentially give the team away to either Suns ownership or whoever manages one of those arenas or sell to an out of state owner and move.
It really should be the latter. The entire area...Phoenix, Tempe, Glendale...has shown little sustained support over the years, the ownership has been a treasure trove of f-ups, and the team has become a black eye of a cap dumping ground for other teams for over 10 years.

It's time to admit you lost one Gary, and move on to somewhere new.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Bettman's statement released a few moments ago:

Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Will this finally be the end? It’s hard to imagine Gary admitting defeat. I’m expecting him to come up with some new plan this week. I really hope they move to another city and end this sad, drawn out spectacle. The whole situation makes the league look third rate. I’d love to see them go to Quebec City but that’s a pipe dream. I think it’ll be Houston. Yay.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Sams_Dog wrote:Will this finally be the end? It’s hard to imagine Gary admitting defeat. I’m expecting him to come up with some new plan this week. I really hope they move to another city and end this sad, drawn out spectacle. The whole situation makes the league look third rate. I’d love to see them go to Quebec City but that’s a pipe dream. I think it’ll be Houston. Yay.
Houston and Atlanta are the two areas being discussed. Quebec City seems dead, despite all the Canadian and Quebec folks saying they are getting the shaft. The population is small (about 800K) and there are few if any big corporations in the area to provide sponsor/ad revenue.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:Will this finally be the end? It’s hard to imagine Gary admitting defeat. I’m expecting him to come up with some new plan this week. I really hope they move to another city and end this sad, drawn out spectacle. The whole situation makes the league look third rate. I’d love to see them go to Quebec City but that’s a pipe dream. I think it’ll be Houston. Yay.
Houston and Atlanta are the two areas being discussed. Quebec City seems dead, despite all the Canadian and Quebec folks saying they are getting the shaft. The population is small (about 800K) and there are few if any big corporations in the area to provide sponsor/ad revenue.
Geez, how many times is the NHL going to try Atlanta? They might be better off in Boise, ID.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I’m hesitant on Houston only because the Canes owner is from Houston and if the team was faltering they would move there, wouldn’t even need to change their name. But the team got really good and have a solid fan base now.

QC is about the same size as Winnipeg. If the financials look good there they should be equitable for QC.

Atlanta has lost two teams to Canada, no more.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Geez, how many times is the NHL going to try Atlanta? They might be better off in Boise, ID.
I think the feeling is Atlanta has the population base and the corporate sponsors to be able to sustain the team. It also comes down to getting stable ownership, not just the first guy that throws out the most money. The Atlanta Flames had a poor team, and attendance dropped to a point where the team wasn't sustainable. Hockey in the South in 1970s...not gonna hold that against them. I believe not having luxury suites available was a big factor as well.

Last time, they were losing money and they got sued by a stakeholder and incurred losses there as well. They had to sell to keep the team, but it was sold to True North.

I think Atlanta can support a team, especially now with what we are seeing with Vegas and Seattle. Arizona just dug itself a giant hole out of the gate, had constant ownership issues, and became a cap dump team that never fielded competitive teams. No direction after all this time.

Salt Lake City Utah is also being thrown out there, as the owner of the Jazz has said he wants hockey and I think he owns the Jazz arena as well.