2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by DelPen »

This is the 100% right call. the puck only goes in when everyone is relaxing well after the whistle blows and the Leafs were in the corner celebrating a great save.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Agreed
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

3rded...the ref could have easily said that. "Replay only shows the puck crossing the line AFTER the play was dead. No other replay shows the puck across the line, so we have no goal." Probably would have avoided stuff being thrown on the ice.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

All the teams I hate are gone but I wouldn’t be upset to see Toronto stunned faces tonight.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote:3rded...the ref could have easily said that. "Replay only shows the puck crossing the line AFTER the play was dead. No other replay shows the puck across the line, so we have no goal." Probably would have avoided stuff being thrown on the ice.
Was it Pang that said the ref really botched the explanation? He’s also been all over them for missed calls too. Nice to hear.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

OK, make a decision on if they want Dubas (TOR) this week and let's wrap this stuff up. LOL
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote:OK, make a decision on if they want Dubas (TOR) this week and let's wrap this stuff up. LOL
Member when we fired a good GM who couldn’t get to the cup finals again let alone get out of the first round one time.

Someone please tell me why Dubas is the guy?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Every year it is not the best players but the best team
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Panthers winning in OT in Toronto was so much better than winning in Florida.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Gudas had some serious hustle getting to the net and grabbing a dman's stick along the way to give Cousins a lane.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Dubas interview this weekend?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

brwi wrote:Gudas had some serious hustle getting to the net and grabbing a dman's stick along the way to give Cousins a lane.
Maybe the Leaf shouldn’t had put his stick close to where Gudas could grab it?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:OK, make a decision on if they want Dubas (TOR) this week and let's wrap this stuff up. LOL
Member when we fired a good GM who couldn’t get to the cup finals again let alone get out of the first round one time.

I'm not saying he is or has to be the guy. He's young and has GM experience. He's not a retread from the old guard. He's very much a proponent of analytics. His team may not have gotten it done the past few years, but, I don't think you can argue with the pieces he has put there. They surely have enough offense during the regular season, their defense isn't horrible, and, well, as I've said before, good goaltending is very, very thin league wide.

I mean, if the Penguins were considering Bowman or Chiarelli, I surely would take Dubas over either of those 2. But I think Dubas will want dual roles if we are to believe that he and Shanahan clashed at times and it prevented Dubas from doing things he wanted to in the GM role.

Dubas, Chayka, and Botteril are probably my top 3 for different reasons. I definitely would add Tulsky in there, but I have a feeling he is the person rumored to be blocked by his team from interviewing. If he isn't, then I would probably bump Chayka out in favor of Tulsky.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Dubas to the Pens by next Friday . Either President or GM and President.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

FLPensFan wrote:
DelPen wrote:

I'm not saying he is or has to be the guy. He's young and has GM experience. He's not a retread from the old guard. He's very much a proponent of analytics. His team may not have gotten it done the past few years, but, I don't think you can argue with the pieces he has put there. They surely have enough offense during the regular season, their defense isn't horrible, and, well, as I've said before, good goaltending is very, very thin league wide.

I mean, if the Penguins were considering Bowman or Chiarelli, I surely would take Dubas over either of those 2. But I think Dubas will want dual roles if we are to believe that he and Shanahan clashed at times and it prevented Dubas from doing things he wanted to in the GM role.

Dubas, Chayka, and Botteril are probably my top 3 for different reasons. I definitely would add Tulsky in there, but I have a feeling he is the person rumored to be blocked by his team from interviewing. If he isn't, then I would probably bump Chayka out in favor of Tulsky.
While Dubas may not have got "it done" in Toronto, people need to remember that it's really hard to win in the playoffs. Luck, bounces, health, etc, all play a huge part.

I haven't gone over all of his moves, but are there any moves that stick out where you say "what a terrible trade by Dubas, he got fleeced!", or "what a terrible signing, that contract will come back to haunt them", etc?

Matt Murray comes to mind. Maybe the Foligno move? I'm sure I'm missing some, but nothing is really huge and glaring where they had ridiculous contracts that they had to move. It's also hard to judge his drafting as it's still kinda early, although Sandin and Durzi have turned out okay. Again, we don't know how much pull Shanahan had. Was he the guy pushing for more grit and veteran presence for a playoff push last year and the year before? They didn't seem like Dubas moves to me, but more of hockey men moves (Shanahan). Of course they weren't great.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Seattle's hanging in there; that's a frustrating team to knock. I think they'll take their series in game 7 OT.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Stars are gonna need a brutal Oettinger to step up. In the playoffs, .900 sv%, 50% quality starts and a GSAA of -0.8, thats not going to advance them.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

God Bless the man! Uncle Lou expected to sign a 3-year extension prior to his contract expiring later this month. At 80 years old.
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/05 ... nsion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

ville5 wrote:Stars are gonna need a brutal Oettinger to step up. In the playoffs, .900 sv%, 50% quality starts and a GSAA of -0.8, thats not going to advance them.
Oettinger is kinda like Ullmark, I guess. Coming into the playoffs I was thinking "this guy will be a huge factor" to get to conference finals. And then it kinda doesn't happen. They're really good goalies, don't get me wrong, but for me, Andersen and Shesterkin have been the best goalies so far in the playoffs. Then there's Bobrovsky, Sorokin, Schmid, Gustavsson that did well.

Oettinger, Grubauer, Samsonov, Ullmark, Hellebuyck are kinda in the middle for me. They don't help you win, when coming up against a better or hotter goalie. That's fine when the west is playing the west, but right now, in any Stanley cup final that comes down to better goaltending, Canes or Devils will win.

Maybe Hill is the answer for Vegas though, I dunno. Not seen enough of him yet to make up my mind.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Puck-Lurker wrote:
ville5 wrote:Stars are gonna need a brutal Oettinger to step up. In the playoffs, .900 sv%, 50% quality starts and a GSAA of -0.8, thats not going to advance them.
Oettinger is kinda like Ullmark, I guess. Coming into the playoffs I was thinking "this guy will be a huge factor" to get to conference finals. And then it kinda doesn't happen. They're really good goalies, don't get me wrong, but for me, Andersen and Shesterkin have been the best goalies so far in the playoffs. Then there's Bobrovsky, Sorokin, Schmid, Gustavsson that did well.

Oettinger, Grubauer, Samsonov, Ullmark, Hellebuyck are kinda in the middle for me. They don't help you win, when coming up against a better or hotter goalie. That's fine when the west is playing the west, but right now, in any Stanley cup final that comes down to better goaltending, Canes or Devils will win.

Maybe Hill is the answer for Vegas though, I dunno. Not seen enough of him yet to make up my mind.
Canes seem to make any goalie look like a world-beater lol.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Might be a high scoring game tonight. 3 goals in first 3 minutes. Final 12 to 10?
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy guy, I can't help but notice again that Canadian teams have gotten royally screwed in these playoffs. Non calls, bad calls, goals disallowed, lenient suspensions on opponents, bad scheduling...

I have never bought into the anti-Canadian NHL bias but I am really starting to get on that bandwagon.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Sams_Dog wrote:At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy guy, I can't help but notice again that Canadian teams have gotten royally screwed in these playoffs. Non calls, bad calls, goals disallowed, lenient suspensions on opponents, bad scheduling...

I have never bought into the anti-Canadian NHL bias but I am really starting to get on that bandwagon.
Simple thought, to consider; TV revenue ratings. Were Toronto to play Edmonton in the Cup finals, would ratings rank High, Medium, Low. Same for TV production expenses: High, Medium, Low. I can see the bandwagons trail of thought, due to the NHL Corporation looking for max return on investment.

It's business. Not reality.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Edmonton out. You need to defend hard and have timely goaltending to win a Cup. Edmonton still does not.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

I miss the bubble guts feelings.

Game 7 in big D- let's go penguin west.