2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote:
DelPen wrote:Do Leafs fans usually sound like they are booing during the Star Spangled Banner?
That was the longest and slowest rendition of the Canadian anthem I’ve ever heard.
It's the fine tradition of ruining national anthems on hockey nights. It drives me up one wall and down the other.

I've ceased commenting about it during Pens games, because it creates very bad juju. It's like 80% losses when I do. :shock:
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Puck-Lurker wrote:
KG wrote:
DelPen wrote:Do Leafs fans usually sound like they are booing during the Star Spangled Banner?
That was the longest and slowest rendition of the Canadian anthem I’ve ever heard.
It's the fine tradition of ruining national anthems on hockey nights. It drives me up one wall and down the other.

I've ceased commenting about it during Pens games, because it creates very bad juju. It's like 80% losses when I do. :shock:
I said it before, get rid of the anthems. Zero need. These players aren’t representing their countries, this isn’t international play. They’re essentially representing billionaires.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

penny lane wrote:I have seen enough of Dubas with Jason Spezza; not the guys for Pittsburgh.
Great way to form an opinion.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

murphydump55 wrote:
penny lane wrote:I have seen enough of Dubas with Jason Spezza; not the guys for Pittsburgh.

Merci beaucoup
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

penny lane wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Merci beaucoup
Oh I've seen them sitting in a box, they aren't good enough for Pittsburgh. Makes sense.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Dubas has been with the Leafs since 2014 and as their GM since 2018. That’s a long time and a lot of trades and moves with one playoff round victory in all that time and it would be fair to say the Lightning are just worn out for how much hockey that core has been playing since August 2020.

His team is getting out worked by a good Panthers team but that was the issue for almost two decades in the first round.

The problem with the Leafs looks to be a core that doesn’t rise to the occasion and the GM won’t shake that up. I don’t see how he would succeed in Pittsburgh if he hasn’t in Toronto. The same general issues would be in place in Pittsburgh that he wouldn’t be able to work around to field a team that could compete for a cup.

I too have seen plenty of Dubas and I too have seen enough to not want him here.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote:Dubas has been with the Leafs since 2014 and as their GM since 2018. That’s a long time and a lot of trades and moves with one playoff round victory in all that time and it would be fair to say the Lightning are just worn out for how much hockey that core has been playing since August 2020.

His team is getting out worked by a good Panthers team but that was the issue for almost two decades in the first round.

The problem with the Leafs looks to be a core that doesn’t rise to the occasion and the GM won’t shake that up. I don’t see how he would succeed in Pittsburgh if he hasn’t in Toronto. The same general issues would be in place in Pittsburgh that he wouldn’t be able to work around to field a team that could compete for a cup.

I too have seen plenty of Dubas and I too have seen enough to not want him here.
The word on the street is that Dubas is often overruled by Shanahan. To what degree, I have no idea, but that's the feeling, that Dubas would do much better where he has more free reign to make decisions without constantly being stared at over his shoulder by an old school hockey guy.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Canes fans kept singing Blink 182 after the puck dropped for a good amount of time. That was cool.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote:
DelPen wrote:Dubas has been with the Leafs since 2014 and as their GM since 2018. That’s a long time and a lot of trades and moves with one playoff round victory in all that time and it would be fair to say the Lightning are just worn out for how much hockey that core has been playing since August 2020.

The word on the street is that Dubas is often overruled by Shanahan. To what degree, I have no idea, but that's the feeling, that Dubas would do much better where he has more free reign to make decisions without constantly being stared at over his shoulder by an old school hockey guy.
Tavares was signed on 7/1/18. Dubas was promoted almost two months earlier on 5/11/18. If you can tell me with certainty that Tavares was a Shanny move and not Dubas I would maybe consider him but even then, he allowed him to be signed when he was the last thing they needed.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

DelPen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Tavares was signed on 7/1/18. Dubas was promoted almost two months earlier on 5/11/18. If you can tell me with certainty that Tavares was a Shanny move and not Dubas I would maybe consider him but even then, he allowed him to be signed when he was the last thing they needed.
At the same time, that was 5y ago, maybe he have learnt a thing or two since then?
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

murphydump55 wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
KG wrote:

I said it before, get rid of the anthems. Zero need. These players aren’t representing their countries, this isn’t international play. They’re essentially representing billionaires.
I can get on board with that. I've always wondered about the pretty much uniquely american urge to play the anthem, fly or even troop the colours, have a bunch of military personnel saluting...

I'm not sure they'll ever get rid of the 'patriotic' pomp and circumstance, even with 40% of the league being European.*

*I'm not sure if there aren't technically Russians from beyond the Urals (who would then be Asians). I am aware the Blues have an Aussie 4th liner
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Well I'm pretty sure they play the anthem in Canada at sporting events as well as the United States. And regarding the anthem in the US, national pride and patriotism used to be a fairly strong aspect of American culture, but don't worry the way things are currently in this country pretty soon in a few years they won't be playing the anthem anymore or it'll be illegal to say anything other than you hate the US.

I can't say I disagree however with the sentiment that they are essentially playing for billionaires and it isn't international play. I would say that previously at one point the anthem used to be played less for the players and more because it was a significant sporting event in that country and it was for the fans, but I don't think it's a crazy idea to just not play anthems at all with the sentiment that the players themselves are global and focusing more on the idea that it doesn't necessarily represent a majority of them at any given time rather than the fans themselves. Who knows though, maybe sports fans overall would prefer the anthems be played. I don't know.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Antonio wrote:Well I'm pretty sure they play the anthem in Canada at sporting events as well as the United States. And regarding the anthem in the US, national pride and patriotism used to be a fairly strong aspect of American culture, but don't worry the way things are currently in this country pretty soon in a few years they won't be playing the anthem anymore or it'll be illegal to say anything other than you hate the US.

I can't say I disagree however with the sentiment that they are essentially playing for billionaires and it isn't international play. I would say that previously at one point the anthem used to be played less for the players and more because it was a significant sporting event in that country and it was for the fans, but I don't think it's a crazy idea to just not play anthems at all with the sentiment that the players themselves are global and focusing more on the idea that it doesn't necessarily represent a majority of them at any given time rather than the fans themselves. Who knows though, maybe sports fans overall would prefer the anthems be played. I don't know.
I will pretty much include Canada when I say America, by geography if not by proxy. Probably should've said so more clearly than only by lumping Canadian/US players together, but I try to cut back on my pedantry. (I probably fail at that, too)

My last € 0,02 on it, is that if it is to be done at all, at least do it well. Pick a meter (somewhere in the 95-120 bpm range) and stick to it. No artistic slowing and accelerating. No pausing for effect, only for breath and phrasing. Stick to the actual rhythm. Pick a key and stick to it. No ad-lib improv randomly clusterbombing notes like a trombone player. I appreciate the Star Spangled Banner is attrociously difficult in many keys.

Conclusion: the above is too much to ask, just skip it.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

I always thought the anthems were played to honor those who gave their lives and allowed you the freedom to be at that particular sporting event. Silly me.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

We'll see if Oilers can tie the series tonight, I think they will.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Gerard Gallant and NYR have parted ways per Larry Brooks.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

penny lane wrote:Gerard Gallant and NYR have parted ways per Larry Brooks.
Also seeing reports he was very interested in CBJ when they hired Larsen, so he may end up there.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Rangers are hoping Sully will be available I'm sure...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Draisaitl with 2 more goals already. Think he already won the Conn Smythe
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

KG wrote:
I heard Quenneville if the NHL allows him, which they shouldn’t after that Hawks embarrassment. If the Rangers want Sullivan, I’d trade him there in a heartbeat. Maybe we can get a first for him. He should have been gone a couple years ago.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by bse »

Ericf wrote:
KG wrote:
I heard Quenneville if the NHL allows him, which they shouldn’t after that Hawks embarrassment. If the Rangers want Sullivan, I’d trade him there in a heartbeat. Maybe we can get a first for him. He should have been gone a couple years ago.
Carter and Sullivan to NYR for future considerations?
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

bse wrote:
Ericf wrote:
KG wrote:
That would be cause for celebration.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Watching the Devils game and listening to Edzo. Kinda weird that Edzo complains more about the refs than we do.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Puck-Lurker wrote:
bse wrote:
Ericf wrote:
KG wrote:
That would be cause for celebration.
Few of them $1 slices works for me.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

[quote="Carter and Sullivan to NYR for future considerations?[/quote][/quote][/quote]

I didn't even think about that. A team can trade a coach, can't they? Last time I remember anything like that happening was 1994 when Kennan left the Rangers under bad terms and went to St. Louis. Didn't the Rangers get compensation for him?