2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

I just saw this morning that for Games 3 & 4 of the upcoming Toronto-Florida series, Florida has enacted "Ted Leonsis" ticket buying rules. Florida released a statement on Ticketmaster sales of tickets to this event are restricted to residents of the United States. Orders by residents outside the US will be immediately cancelled and refunded.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Three Stars wrote:There was a bunch of Bruins envy around here this season. They were held up as a team that handled its roster building correctly as compared to the locals.

Ironic that a deep and well constructed team was utterly undone somewhat by timid play and mostly by goaltending.
Anyone who says the Pens didn't stand a chance are wrong. You can't predict the playoffs and the Pens actually played the Bruins pretty tight all season. Bruins wasted far too much energy trying to make history for a regular season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote:I just saw this morning that for Games 3 & 4 of the upcoming Toronto-Florida series, Florida has enacted "Ted Leonsis" ticket buying rules. Florida released a statement on Ticketmaster sales of tickets to this event are restricted to residents of the United States. Orders by residents outside the US will be immediately cancelled and refunded.
NHL should put a stop to that. I don't like that at all.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pitts wrote:
Three Stars wrote:There was a bunch of Bruins envy around here this season. They were held up as a team that handled its roster building correctly as compared to the locals.

Ironic that a deep and well constructed team was utterly undone somewhat by timid play and mostly by goaltending.
Anyone who says the Pens didn't stand a chance are wrong. You can't predict the playoffs and the Pens actually played the Bruins pretty tight all season. Bruins wasted far too much energy trying to make history for a regular season.
I've said that the Panthers didn't stand a chance against the Bruins. I was wrong. Cats showed up to play, the Bs struggled.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Pitts wrote:

The Panthers essentially played a game 7 for the last 2 months. Every game was a must win.

The Bruins felt no pressure all season long, then got pushed and seemed confused.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ullmark showed his true colors. The guy is not a Vezina caliber goalie. This regular season was an aberration for Boston in every way possible. Many picked them to regress and even miss the playoffs this season.

They will take a huge step back next season.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I think the other thing with Florida that they won the Presidents Trophy last year but then somewhat inexplicably struggled the first part of this season. So, they were a very good team that hit an extended rough patch and then found their form down the stretch to get into the playoffs. Not unlike some of the Pens' Cup-winning teams...
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

These 2 games are a big reason I don't do any sports gambling. I would have never picked either of these two games correctly.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

offsides wrote:These 2 games are a big reason I don't do any sports gambling. I would have never picked either of these two games correctly.
I'd never put any money on TOR-FLA. But if I had to, I'd bet against Toronto.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

offsides wrote:These 2 games are a big reason I don't do any sports gambling. I would have never picked either of these two games correctly.
I picked both Florida and Seattle on a parlay last night. Odds were way too good to turn down.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I just saw this morning that for Games 3 & 4 of the upcoming Toronto-Florida series, Florida has enacted "Ted Leonsis" ticket buying rules. Florida released a statement on Ticketmaster sales of tickets to this event are restricted to residents of the United States. Orders by residents outside the US will be immediately cancelled and refunded.
I agree. Denying fans access to a game of any major sport just seems like a really bad idea. Now, if a team says we want to only release 20% of our tickets for visiting teams, or something to that effect, I think that is ok.

I've also heard that in a couple cities last year (Tampa was one I heard), they would actually make you take off a jersey of the visiting team during the playoffs. That too, is absurd.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

murphydump55 wrote:
I picked both Florida and Seattle on a parlay last night. Odds were way too good to turn down.
Nice! I just can't pick anything right (like a wife) which is why gambling is not good for an idiot like me. Early in the season I would have definitely bet on Pens making the playoffs. :face:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
I agree. Denying fans access to a game of any major sport just seems like a really bad idea. Now, if a team says we want to only release 20% of our tickets for visiting teams, or something to that effect, I think that is ok.

I've also heard that in a couple cities last year (Tampa was one I heard), they would actually make you take off a jersey of the visiting team during the playoffs. That too, is absurd.
Florida can’t control the secondary market. All this will do is force Leafs fans to pay a little more than retail.

And hate to break it to Florida management, a lot of those fans will easily be able to use a local number for several reasons like they actually reside in south Florida or they get a number through Google with a local area code.

It didn’t sound like Tampa could keep Leafs fans out, no way the Panthers will either.

Soccer is interesting that there are dedicated away fan sections and no mingling. Granted it’s because violence would happen if they mixed but it would be an interesting thing in Hockey if there was a corner section that was visitors only but it might never sell out.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sutter out in Calgary. Interesting. Guess it wasn't just a power struggle with Treiliving.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

DelPen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Florida can’t control the secondary market. All this will do is force Leafs fans to pay a little more than retail.

And hate to break it to Florida management, a lot of those fans will easily be able to use a local number for several reasons like they actually reside in south Florida or they get a number through Google with a local area code.

It didn’t sound like Tampa could keep Leafs fans out, no way the Panthers will either.

Soccer is interesting that there are dedicated away fan sections and no mingling. Granted it’s because violence would happen if they mixed but it would be an interesting thing in Hockey if there was a corner section that was visitors only but it might never sell out.
Hockey doesn't really compare to football though. Around here, there's always football 'fans' looking to ignore what's on the field and just look to stir up trouble with similar cavemen on the other side. I know of very few violent altercations, but in football, it's hard to find a team that doesn't have them.

I'm.. confused as to how it's even legal to revert sales to non-US citizens. I know enough of the law in my country, to say it would be illegal here. That kind of behaviour would be against the first article of our constitution, if not the European TEU/TFEU treaties as well.

Say I came over for a playoffs game, to get it off my bucket list. Let's say it's Pens vs Sens and ticketmaster reverts my sale. Next I end up with a flight and hotel I booked to visit the game I wouldn't be able to attend. I don't get it. And it's not like fans won't be able to bypass that if they want to either.

* I use football in the sense of assocation football, the kind people around the world actually care about
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:

You are correct that StubHub and those secondary sites will still be able to sell, and that Toronto fans will just need to pay more. These days, though, it's not really based on area code. I believe the warning posted on Ticketmaster stated it would be determined by the billing address of the credit card used to purchase.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

murphydump55 wrote:
That's a nice hit. I got Florida ML at +220 and Seattle at +205. I figured if one hits I'll make money
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
How? The Bruins have 10M in cap space not counting the 4M in bonus overages that count towards next year's cap and 14 players under contract. They are going to be moving money out
Because after a deflating series loss like that, I don't see Bergeron or Krejci coming back. They were only paying those 2, as their top 2 centers, 3.5M combined. They are going to be very thin at center. Maybe they throw 5M at Max Domi to be their 2C, and trade for someone else...but there aren't true top 2 centers available on the UFA market.

Rask is gone. Chara is gone. Bergeron and Krejci should be gone after this loss. This is not the year to try and rebuild on the fly via UFA, and they have a 2025 1st and 2023/2025 3rds as decent draft capital.

They'll have plenty of money to re-sign Bertuzzi, but I wouldn't sign there if I was a UFA. Chicago has been done and at least started wisely stockpiling picks with Toews and Kane still there. Chicago has 2 1sts for the next 3 years, 8 2nds, and 5 3rds. After LA got bounced by EDM, an aging Kopitar and Doughty, they should be looking to rebuild...although, they've done a good job on the fly as they have Byfield, Kayliev, Vilardi, Turcotte already on the roster.

Penguins and Bruins are the last holdouts of the 4 strong Cup teams of the last 15 years, and I think this series loss starts the Bruins rebuild.
That was my point, if Boston wants to replace Bergeron and Kreiji they don't have the space to do so. They have to move out salary.

Boston has 37M invested in 6 forwards for next season
They have 28M invested in defenseman with both Orlov and Clifton walking.
Ullmark makes 5M Swayman is restricted and not under contract
4M in bonus overages carry over to next season
That leaves them about 9M in space. I'm expecting substantial movement by Boston regardless of what the direction they take, compete or rebuild
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Those home game 7's are hard on the fans. That energy or lack of, is felt by team I'm sure. I'm hoping with the Devils all young kids- not afraid to lose- happy to be there.

Sid gets his training buddy early.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

KG wrote:Tanev with a goal.

I still haven't gotten over how Hexburke lost him. Basically their only heart and soul player. Horrible. I probably never will get over it lol.
Same here, still miss the guy..
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

murphydump55 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

The Panthers essentially played a game 7 for the last 2 months. Every game was a must win.

The Bruins felt no pressure all season long, then got pushed and seemed confused.
I've got mad respect for Matthew Tkachuk now. I was a little iffy that he left Calgary like the did, but, man is he a big time gamer! He really seems to have put Florida on his back and he brings it every night.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Pitts wrote: I've got mad respect for Matthew Tkachuk now. I was a little iffy that he left Calgary like the did, but, man is he a big time gamer! He really seems to have put Florida on his back and he brings it every night.
:thumb: He also impressed me very much. Just the kind of player we need but probably won't find.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Statistics are funny sometimes. Every team still in the playoffs has a player with at least 4 goals, except for Seattle.

Seattle has three players with 2 and twelve with 1. All but three players have at least a point. Those that don't: Grubauer, Donato (8:44 ATOI) Frödén (4:09 ATOI). Of all playoff teams, only the Isles had similar, but lesser production and distribution.

Hats off to scoring depth and Grubauer coming through.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

penny lane wrote:Those home game 7's are hard on the fans. That energy or lack of, is felt by team I'm sure. I'm hoping with the Devils all young kids- not afraid to lose- happy to be there.

Sid gets his training buddy early.
After Florida tied it the entire crowd was just taken out of it.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

First bad call, now evened up.