2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by Pitts »

ville5 wrote:- Bjugstad, 2 goals? In ONE GAME???
- Kraken with the Avs on the ropes?
What is going on in the NH of L?
Like I say, anything can happen once you get in. You just have to get in. We Pens fans have been crapped on pretty bad the past several post-seasons.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

murphydump55 wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:If a poll were taken among the NHL board of governors, the GMs, coaches and the players and they were asked “What do you think should be the biggest factor in a team winning the Stanley Cup: having the most skill or having the most toughness to survive the physical
Punishment of the playoffs?” Have to choose one. What do you think the majority would say? I think probably 80+% would pick the second option. That mentality is what keeps holding the game back and is why we see so many nasty hits (and reduced penalties and non calls) in the playoffs. It happens every year.
Luck and health. You need a lot of both to win the Cup.
I think you need a solid team above all but you definitely need luck and health, but you can't make a lottery team the cup champs with luck and health. Can you imagine this years Penguins winning the cup with luck and health?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Wow, New Jersey might actually pull this off! The series I mean. That would be sweet.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:This obsession with Gibson is crazy. If he was not a Pittsburgh guy I don’t think this would be the case. There has to be better options
There isn't.

8-)
Gibson is still a gamble. Has his game suffered because he's been stuck on a bad team as stars retired and moved on (Getzlaf, Perry, Lindholm, Rakell, etc, etc) and the young guys don't defend as well, or has his game already started to decline at his age. I would hope that if we acquired him, our goalie development and scouts spot things to say his poor play is more the former than the latter.

Gibson has been up and down the past few years, but, Anaheim has a whole has given up the 3rd most goals in the league over those 4 years. That isn't all on the goalie.

Finally, if it came down to Gibson or Saros, Saros appears to be the better goalie now, however, his cost to acquire is also going to be considerably higher. Gibson you might be able to get for Jarry and a 3rd at this point (with guarantee Ducks could sign Jarry). The cost doesn't seem like it is outlandish and that Ducks may be ready to move on and just find a cheaper option to pair with Dostal. Saros sounds more like a 1st or a high prospect as part of a package to get him in a trade.

So it comes down to...do the experts think Gibson is better than his play has been in Anaheim, and what is the cost to acquire?
We've seen goalies, Price most recently from my memory, bounce back from a few subpar seasons.
With 4 more seasons would Anaheim be willing to retain at all? I have my doubts.
Maybe Granlund, POJ/Smith, one of our goalie prospects and something for Gibson at $5.4 and something. Would that entice them.
This would be dependent on upgrading CSD though.
I have no idea what Anaheim is thinking regarding value, but the talk I have seen is that they may be willing to move on from him, and with his several years of struggles, that his price may not be astronomically high.

If we are going to get Gibson, I do believe that either we could trade Jarry's rights in the deal (let them talk to Jarry's agent). If Jarry is convinced he wants to test the market, then you come up with another package.

I think Jarry with an extension and a 2nd/3rd/POJ/Smith would be enough just by some of the rumors I am hearing.
If the Penguins decided to go after Gibson and Jarry isn't available to trade as part of the deal, then maybe you ask them to take Granlund, POJ/Smith, and a 2nd and see where that gets you. Might need to increase that offer. Anaheim isn't going to want a goalie prospect. They already got Calle Clang from us in the Rakell trade, and they have Luke Dostal as their perceived "next franchise goalie," which is why they'd consider moving Gibson in the first place.

I'm not sure Anaheim would really want to retain for 4 years. 1 or 2, maybe (which you cannot do...it's all or nothing). That really depends on what they think they'll need cap-wise over the next 4 years. Zegras, Terry, and Drysdale all need new deals this summer...so they likely won't be a cap bottom-feeder next season.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Much more competitive first round than I thought would happen. 7 of the 8 series are at 3-2. Vegas might be the first team to move on tonight after 40 games. Wonder how many if any games sevens. Hope a lot cause I like em.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I expected the Bruins to sweep, Canes and Avs to lose maybe a game, but the rest could have easily gone 7 with any of them winning.

Vegas winning 4-1 was surprising to me but I wasn’t really paying much attention to how each weee playing going into the playoffs.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If this Akira Schmid in NJ keeps this up, they are going to be a tough out!

Rangers have scored 2 goals in the last 3 games I think. Rangers have a feel of a team that acts like they have won before, but they haven't. They don't seem to have the drive. Devils definitely look more hungry and faster.

Canes have some injuries they are getting through. That series would have been over already if they were a little more healthy. Isles are more an annoyance then a good team.

Colorado didn't do a good job this season in adding players. They never replaced Kadri. They brought in EROD and Eller. Two bottom 6 players. They didn't go all in this season to go for the repeat in my opinion. They shouldn't be losing to Seattle but Seattle has 4 solid lines. All can skate and score.

Scoring depth wins championships.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote:If this Akira Schmid in NJ keeps this up, they are going to be a tough out!

Rangers have scored 2 goals in the last 3 games I think. Rangers have a feel of a team that acts like they have won before, but they haven't. They don't seem to have the drive. Devils definitely look more hungry and faster.

Canes have some injuries they are getting through. That series would have been over already if they were a little more healthy. Isles are more an annoyance then a good team.

Colorado didn't do a good job this season in adding players. They never replaced Kadri. They brought in EROD and Eller. Two bottom 6 players. They didn't go all in this season to go for the repeat in my opinion. They shouldn't be losing to Seattle but Seattle has 4 solid lines. All can skate and score.

Scoring depth wins championships.
Schmid is carrying Devils on his back this series. They're playing alright defensively, but he's stealing games from the Rags. Didn't give them two cents for their chances when they went down 2-0, but they're taking this series next game I feel.

Leafs-Bolts is fairly even, I'm thinking it'll go to game 7. Same with Stars-Wild and Oilers-Kings.

Panthers are toast. Nothing I've seen FLA do suggests they can conjure up another win against Bruins.

Canes-Isles is closer, but I think the Isles have been figured out for what they are, too one-dimensional to hang with the big boys.

I think Seattle will close out at home. That team is hungry and rolls 4 lines that can score.

Now... if you'd told me it would take FORTY playoff games before the first team advanced, I would've said you're nuts, but here we are.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Not a fan of the red helmets on the away uniforms for the Canes.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote:Not a fan of the red helmets on the away uniforms for the Canes.
Not a fan of the Canes goaltending either.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Impressive how good Burns still is. He always gets his shot through and shoots for deflections. Constantly creating chances.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Bertuzzi is going to get paid.

Would love to have him on the Pens obviously
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Bruins, Cats game is wild so far
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

KG wrote:
Anderson was better than Sorokin tonight and the Isles can hit the links tomorrow.

I think all the media over-hype about the Bruins having the best blueline in the NHL ends tonight. Probably so does Ullmark as the starter. He wasn't good last year in two playoffs games and he's not getting it done this series either.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pelech has to get that puck out! Not sure how that got through Sorokin. Glad the Isles are out!
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

LOLOLOL! I despise the Bruins and way to go FL!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

brwi wrote:
KG wrote:
Anderson was better than Sorokin tonight and the Isles can hit the links tomorrow.

I think all the media over-hype about the Bruins having the best blueline in the NHL ends tonight. Probably so does Ullmark as the starter. He wasn't good last year in two playoffs games and he's not getting it done this series either.
Ullmark regular season was ridiculous. He's never been a great goalie. Playoffs are a different animal.
Last edited by KG on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Pruezy11881 wrote:Bruins, Cats game is wild so far
Yes it was and a game 7 coming for Bruins. Never thought I would see that happen against the Cats. Very exciting hockey games tonight.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

offsides wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:Bruins, Cats game is wild so far
Yes it was and a game 7 coming for Bruins. Never thought I would see that happen against the Cats. Very exciting hockey games tonight.
Pressure definitely on the bruins now.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

The bruins haven't had a must win game since last year.
Good on FLA!
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Evan Rodrigues with another nice assist. I think it's his fifth point of the series. I miss him.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Avs- yay
Stars- boo
Cats- damn
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Bruins really crapped the bed that game. Defensively awful. Marchand looked like Malkin in his own end and Clifton was just a black hole leading to at least two goals. That Pastrnak goal though, that was something else. Bob is still wondering wtf happened there.

Stars and Avs just did what they had to. Offense just too much to deal with.

Isles just lost that because their defence can't clear pucks.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I’m kind of tired of Tampa being so good so I want to see them lose but I also love seeing Toronto be miserable and losing this series after being up 3-1 would be awesome to see. I think they have now lost their last 17 or 18 games when a series can be closed out?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote:I’m kind of tired of Tampa being so good so I want to see them lose but I also love seeing Toronto be miserable and losing this series after being up 3-1 would be awesome to see. I think they have now lost their last 17 or 18 games when a series can be closed out?
Definitely rooting for Toronto to lose again. Their misery is enjoyable to watch :D