2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:Browsing over the RFA list. Wish the NHL would get out of this archaic mindset that RFA's are off limits to other teams. Offer sheets are fun. The 7 day to match or pass, the compensation. The potential bad blood created.

It's just weird that it's viewed as a personal slight if a team tries to sign another teams RFA. It is a two-way street as the player negotiated the deal in good faith.

I remember when the Blues sent an offer sheet to McSorley in LA. LA matched and traded him to the Pens for McEachern. That made by summer. I got a McSorley Pens jersey and wore it proudly in high school lol.
It just takes a group of GMs to start the trend of putting out offer sheets. Hopefully as we get some of the old guard out of those positions, more teams will utilize them.

Anyone in particular you would love to see us offer sheet...if we had the required picks?
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:Browsing over the RFA list. Wish the NHL would get out of this archaic mindset that RFA's are off limits to other teams. Offer sheets are fun. The 7 day to match or pass, the compensation. The potential bad blood created.

It's just weird that it's viewed as a personal slight if a team tries to sign another teams RFA. It is a two-way street as the player negotiated the deal in good faith.

I remember when the Blues sent an offer sheet to McSorley in LA. LA matched and traded him to the Pens for McEachern. That made by summer. I got a McSorley Pens jersey and wore it proudly in high school lol.
It just takes a group of GMs to start the trend of putting out offer sheets. Hopefully as we get some of the old guard out of those positions, more teams will utilize them.

Anyone in particular you would love to see us offer sheet...if we had the required picks?

You sure could cause havoc with a rival's cap space allocation by dropping 1-2 strategic offer sheets in a single offseason. (This is why I can't have nice things.)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote:

Colton, Swayman, Bratt :D , Zegras, Lafreneire, Jeannot.

Plenty of young talent out there for sure.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:

I think the compensation is too high to do offer sheets. Look at the NFL. Lamar Jackson can sign a $50M/year contract and the Ravens get 2 1st round picks. He’s still young enough that the compensation is pretty fair. NHL would be 4 draft picks for a top end talent.

Draft picks are good trade deadline commodities and wasting them to sign a top talent isn’t worth it to most NHL teams.

While I think the personal slight is absolutely part of it, lessen the compensation and I think we see more offer sheets.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Way to go Panthers. I thought they would get swept. Hopefully they can keep it up.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Too bad, so sad islanders lose in OT. Much angst on non call on Fast's goal.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I think the compensation is too high to do offer sheets. Look at the NFL. Lamar Jackson can sign a $50M/year contract and the Ravens get 2 1st round picks. He’s still young enough that the compensation is pretty fair. NHL would be 4 draft picks for a top end talent.

Draft picks are good trade deadline commodities and wasting them to sign a top talent isn’t worth it to most NHL teams.

While I think the personal slight is absolutely part of it, lessen the compensation and I think we see more offer sheets.
I think the compensation was altered several years ago. I think at one point, offer sheeting an elite level player was 5 1st round picks?

Right now, according to CapFriendly, the highest RFA compensation is 4 first round picks, and you have to offer that player over 10.5M a year. 8.4M to 10.5M, it's 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Just think if the Penguins didn't trade away their picks, and instead offer sheeted say Brayden Point a few years back, maybe 3 years ago. 6.75M salary for 3 years at the time...let's say we offered 7.5M to try and pressure Tampa's cap. Would have cost us a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The first wasn't a lottery pick. Those 3 years, Brayden Point was 10 points shy of a point per game player. He had 25, 23, and 28 goals those 3 seasons.

That's not a big cost to acquire at all.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I think the compensation was altered several years ago. I think at one point, offer sheeting an elite level player was 5 1st round picks?

Right now, according to CapFriendly, the highest RFA compensation is 4 first round picks, and you have to offer that player over 10.5M a year. 8.4M to 10.5M, it's 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Just think if the Penguins didn't trade away their picks, and instead offer sheeted say Brayden Point a few years back, maybe 3 years ago. 6.75M salary for 3 years at the time...let's say we offered 7.5M to try and pressure Tampa's cap. Would have cost us a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The first wasn't a lottery pick. Those 3 years, Brayden Point was 10 points shy of a point per game player. He had 25, 23, and 28 goals those 3 seasons.

I disagree, I think a 1st, 2nd, 3rd is a lot to give up for someone PLUS the stigma of doing it and I think most teams agree. I think 1 less pick and a team might take a chance and do an offer sheet. I think stigma is a really bad reason especially since the lifespan of a GM doesn’t appear to be much longer than a coach.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I disagree, I think a 1st, 2nd, 3rd is a lot to give up for someone PLUS the stigma of doing it and I think most teams agree. I think 1 less pick and a team might take a chance and do an offer sheet. I think stigma is a really bad reason especially since the lifespan of a GM doesn’t appear to be much longer than a coach.
If NHL draft picks were like the NFL...it would absolutely be too high of a cost. But the chances of a player, even a first round pick, having an impactful NHL career are so low I don't see how it's not worth it. Wanting to hold onto the 20th overall pick in the hopes that you hit gold that late in the first round, for a player who probably isn't going to help you for another 3 years....or getting a player the caliber of Point, who is a guaranteed impactful player. I'd pull the trigger without hesitation. This is the way Tampa operates. While it isn't offer sheets, their trades for RFAs Hagel and Jeannot took that all in approach, knowing those picks weren't going to help them win another Cup. It worked well with Hagel, and hasn't worked as well with Jeannot so far.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:If NHL draft picks were like the NFL...it would absolutely be too high of a cost. But the chances of a player, even a first round pick, having an impactful NHL career are so low I don't see how it's not worth it. Wanting to hold onto the 20th overall pick in the hopes that you hit gold that late in the first round, for a player who probably isn't going to help you for another 3 years....or getting a player the caliber of Point, who is a guaranteed impactful player. I'd pull the trigger without hesitation. This is the way Tampa operates. While it isn't offer sheets, their trades for RFAs Hagel and Jeannot took that all in approach, knowing those picks weren't going to help them win another Cup. It worked well with Hagel, and hasn't worked as well with Jeannot so far.
I think they're too high because they could get you other assets. While you might trade a 1st, 2nd, 3rd for Point, you might also trade just Poulin and a 1st or Legare and a 1st.

My point is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd maybe prospects you won't use can get you 2-3 players rather than all 3 for one. Though Point has been pretty consistent throughout his career, he might be worth a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, but players like that are pretty rare.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Watching these games, the pens have been neutered by Sullivan. Not one physical force.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

What a goal by Ian Cole….. wow
Toolsteelguy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toolsteelguy »

And Now leaf’s just scored ZAR from Lafferty !
Toolsteelguy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toolsteelguy »

Toolsteelguy wrote:And Now leaf’s just scored ZAR from Lafferty !
Announcers were talking about the great moves to bolster the bottom 6.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Young Devils seem to be a little anxious come playoff time. They remind me a little bit of the 06-07 Pens. Not quite ready for playoff take off time.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Hope the late games are more interesting than these. Falling asleep watching them!
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

The Kraken are taking it to the Aves!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Justin Schulz and Tanev with the Seattle goals.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

penny lane wrote:Watching these games, the pens have been neutered by Sullivan. Not one physical force.
Penguins led the league in hits though. I’d love to meet the stat guy.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

murphydump55 wrote:
penny lane wrote:Watching these games, the pens have been neutered by Sullivan. Not one physical force.

Penguins led the league in hits though. I’d love to meet the stat guy.
In all fairness, when you rarely have the puck it’s easy to hit someone. Doesn’t mean it’s effective. Shoulder to shoulder while they’re on a 2 on 1 and pass the puck to the eventual goal scorer is still a hit.

They miss the game changers like Kunitz and Roberts and Tanev who would make defensemen look over their shoulders before playing the puck. 1 hit by them can equal look over shoulder rest of the game so less hits. 10 hits that make the other team laugh still counts as 10 hits. :wink:
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

I find myself a fan of Seattle right now due to the number of former Pens on that team and the basic underdog role they have. They are right there with Colorado. It's a good series to watch.

Tanev is very noticeable too. Yes, he scored a goal on a turnover last night but putting that aside, he is a menace on the ice. I miss that guy in a Pens jersey, and so do the Pens. He may not ever score on a regular basis but he impacts each game, and most shifts, that he plays. His motor has one speed and it is non-stop. Impressive guy.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

maopens wrote:I find myself a fan of Seattle right now due to the number of former Pens on that team and the basic underdog role they have. They are right there with Colorado. It's a good series to watch.

Tanev is very noticeable too. Yes, he scored a goal on a turnover last night but putting that aside, he is a menace on the ice. I miss that guy in a Pens jersey, and so do the Pens. He may not ever score on a regular basis but he impacts each game, and most shifts, that he plays. His motor has one speed and it is non-stop. Impressive guy.
Tanev is and always was exactly what the Pens needed on their 3rd line. Horrible mismanagement not protecting him.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

KG wrote:
maopens wrote:I find myself a fan of Seattle right now due to the number of former Pens on that team and the basic underdog role they have. They are right there with Colorado. It's a good series to watch.

Tanev is and always was exactly what the Pens needed on their 3rd line. Horrible mismanagement not protecting him.
They have let a lot of good players walk......Agreed.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

There's some good and some bad in what we've let get away....mostly bad, but for instance...I'd have to imagine that, not only would Jared McCann not be having the level of success here that he is in Seattle because he wouldn't be getting the amount of ice time and/or wouldn't be THE GUY on his line, but I'd also have to think that if we kept McCann, we probably would not have acquired Rakell. There isn't room for both of those guys in the top 6, and putting either on the 3rd line isn't going to let them achieve the same amount of success, either.

However, imagine if we kept Tanev and didn't sign McGinn, and gave ERod the money given to Carter...without the NMC. This team would have been much better in the bottom 6.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Playoff record for Isles. Four goals in 2:17 and on four shots. Got a series there now.