2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by penny lane »

LA Kings won- wow. Good for them.
Matt Dumba with a borderline play in Dallas. Refs walked back a major. Pens haven't had a player like him since Cooke in the play offs.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Amazing how different it is watching the playoffs when you're team isn't in it. The roller coaster of nerves. Anger, thrill of victory, agony of defeat.

Now I watch while going for a mildly-brisk walk on my treadmill without a care lol.

It was a necessary miss by the Pens to make changes, but I hope we are all back in the dance next year!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:Amazing how different it is watching the playoffs when you're team isn't in it. The roller coaster of nerves. Anger, thrill of victory, agony of defeat.

Now I watch while going for a mildly-brisk walk on my treadmill without a care lol.

It was a necessary miss by the Pens to make changes, but I hope we are all back in the dance next year!
Watching the games last night reminded me how badly this team needs an injection of size, grit, and physical play. Don't need goons, just guys that aren't going to fly 30 feet across the ice when hit because they way 160lbs soaking wet.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

penny lane wrote:LA Kings won- wow. Good for them.
Matt Dumba with a borderline play in Dallas. Refs walked back a major. Pens haven't had a player like him since Cooke in the play offs.
I don't think you can sleep on L.A. Look, don't get me wrong, McDavid is an animal. BUT, the Oil accumulated a lot of goals on the PP in the regular season. We all know the game gets called different in the playoffs. I'm not confident the Oil has enough 5V5 to run away with the series against the Kings.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote:
I don't think you can sleep on L.A. Look, don't get me wrong, McDavid is an animal. BUT, the Oil accumulated a lot of goals on the PP in the regular season. We all know the game gets called different in the playoffs. I'm not confident the Oil has enough 5V5 to run away with the series against the Kings.
Edmonton was still 5th overall in 5v5 scoring. I don't think scoring will be the issue, it's usually their defense...like Nurse trying to play 2nd goalie instead of covering a man on the GWG.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
Edmonton was still 5th overall in 5v5 scoring. I don't think scoring will be the issue, it's usually their defense...like Nurse trying to play 2nd goalie instead of covering a man on the GWG.
I guess that I should have worded what was in my head better. But yes, that's kind of where I wanted to go with that. Their D is suspect and without being able to stop the Kings from scoring, the Kings aren't ever going to be out of it. On the other hand, I think that if the Kings are up in a close game that their team D can limit opportunities more than the Oil would.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Pruezy11881 wrote:
I heard a rumor near the trade deadline they they were looking at Erik Karlsson. He is exactly what that team in missing. They need a top line offensive dman to drive offence from the back line. Also heard rumors that he is no longer interested in staying in San Jose for a re-build. Seems like a match made in heaven to me.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

If any of you guys have hockey friends up in Toronto, you may want to check in on them tonight.

Toronto hasn't won a first round series in about 80 years. Tonight, they started their annual series with Tampa Bay. In Toronto. It's 3-0 Tampa in the first.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

maopens wrote:If any of you guys have hockey friends up in Toronto, you may want to check in on them tonight.

Toronto hasn't won a first round series in about 80 years. Tonight, they started their annual series with Tampa Bay. In Toronto. It's 3-0 Tampa in the first.
5-2 Tampa now. Maybe Dubas will be available sooner than later 8-)
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Hakstol is actually good when his GM isn’t a **** moron.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

maopens wrote:If any of you guys have hockey friends up in Toronto, you may want to check in on them tonight.

I laughed when I saw ZAR and Laferty bring out their inner Penguin on that first goal just under two minutes in.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Didn’t the Avs trade a decent pick for Grubaeur a few years ago?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote:Didn’t the Avs trade a decent pick for Grubaeur a few years ago?
2nd round pick for Grubauer and...Brooks Orpik.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Me, I would like to see Conner McDavid get his name on the Cup this season. Nothing negative in the media that I have seen, pure hockey talent, has had to play on a team with multiple first round pick players who never matured.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Seattle win the opener 3-1. Grubauer really came through for Kraken. Fancy that a goalie stealing a game in the playoffs.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

BigMcK wrote:Me, I would like to see Conner McDavid get his name on the Cup this season. Nothing negative in the media that I have seen, pure hockey talent, has had to play on a team with multiple first round pick players who never matured.
In a weird, selfish way I do not want McDavid to win. Why? Because I want Sid to be remembered as the best player of his generation. I know, its dumb... but Sid is a Penguin and its how I feel.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote:
BigMcK wrote:Me, I would like to see Conner McDavid get his name on the Cup this season. Nothing negative in the media that I have seen, pure hockey talent, has had to play on a team with multiple first round pick players who never matured.
In a weird, selfish way I do not want McDavid to win. Why? Because I want Sid to be remembered as the best player of his generation. I know, its dumb... but Sid is a Penguin and its how I feel.
I find myself rooting against Toronto, Ranger (obviously), Islanders (obviously), Edmonton (I feel like they don't play the right way to win in the playoffs).

I root for Tampa. I respect what they have accomplished.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Puck-Lurker wrote:Seattle win the opener 3-1. Grubauer really came through for Kraken. Fancy that a goalie stealing a game in the playoffs.
A healthy and competent goalie, one in which you do not worry about during a game gets the pens more points during the season. But, Sullivan says they've got one.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

KG wrote:Amazing how different it is watching the playoffs when you're team isn't in it. The roller coaster of nerves. Anger, thrill of victory, agony of defeat.

Perfectly stated! I am with ya 100%
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Looks like home ice isn't much of an advantage in the playoffs so far. Only 2 home ice wins out of 8 games.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

I rarely watch non-Pens games in the regular season just because I watch almost every Pens game. Can't sit in front of the TV every night.

It's very different watching these playoffs. Watching hockey in a relaxed mood is a new experience. Lots of recent, former Pens in this playoff. Seattle probably has the most, and they looked good last night. That should be a good series to watch. Hard not to respect what Jon Cooper has done with that Lightning team, year after year. They completely out-classed Toronto last night. It was like watching the varsity play the JV team.

If the Rangers, Islanders, and Boston can all find a way to lose then I'll still enjoy these playoffs.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

It's an oddly relaxing experience, I agree. No frustrations and occasional bouts of yelling at my screen.

Seattle was pleasantly surprising against Colorado, I thought they'd be outclassed. Not that Avs weren't better, they were, but Seattle held. Gave me 2016 Pittsburgh vibes the way they did.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker wrote:It's an oddly relaxing experience, I agree. No frustrations and occasional bouts of yelling at my screen.

Seattle was pleasantly surprising against Colorado, I thought they'd be outclassed. Not that Avs weren't better, they were, but Seattle held. Gave me 2016 Pittsburgh vibes the way they did.
I don't think Colorado is the same level they were last season where they steam-rolled teams.

They never replaced Kadri all season. And losing Landeskog is a huge loss. Especially come playoff time.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Man, now I remember why I almost stopped watching the NHL a few years ago. I realize I'm now rooting for a heavy underdog in Florida, but Boston is getting severe Tom Brady treatment from the officiating, IMO. I'm not saying FLA has not taken some penalties, but I've seen multiple similar plays from Boston go uncalled.

Two biggest no calls tonight...Lomberg dumps the puck in and gets the traditional NHL interference as he tries to chase the dump in...checked into the linesman...play goes up ice, Lomberg gets the cross-check. Another play, BOS dumps in, BOS player arrives first to where the puck is going to be, clearly holds the stick of FLA defenseman and waits until puck gets there to release.

Frustrating watching what NHL calls officiating.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Browsing over the RFA list. Wish the NHL would get out of this archaic mindset that RFA's are off limits to other teams. Offer sheets are fun. The 7 day to match or pass, the compensation. The potential bad blood created.

It's just weird that it's viewed as a personal slight if a team tries to sign another teams RFA. It is a two-way street as the player negotiated the deal in good faith.

I remember when the Blues sent an offer sheet to McSorley in LA. LA matched and traded him to the Pens for McEachern. That made my summer. I got a McSorley Pens jersey and wore it proudly in high school lol.
Last edited by KG on Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.