Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by ville5 »

Daniel wrote:
DelPen wrote:
DelPen wrote:I am getting kind of optimistic with how well free agency has gone. There’s a couple internal guys I hope stay and then one more new guy and if we have a good draft we will be so much better than last year.

Trubisky is the right guy for the team right now. He’s better than who was here to start camp and he’s cheap. We can punt future franchise QB to next year where if Mitch fails spectacularly we get a better draft position to get a better QB. Everything with his signing is win/win.
I was going to post that free agency has looked good so far but then I posted the same last year and it ended up being meh at best. And I really hope Kenny ends up being as good or better than the first QB drafted after #10, I don’t think we would have been lower than that with Mitch-Mason taking the snaps.

But seriously, a lot of holes filled and upgrades, on paper, made where they could be but they can’t screw up the first three draft picks this year.
My want for the first 3 picks are Broderick Jones, CB at 32 and NT at 49. Maybe an ILB in round 4 then whatever the rest of the way.
Sign me up. If Jones isn't there, it'd even be tempting to trade back the first 2 picks. Just a few spots each though.
Especially 32 which could be quite valuable.
Might net you another pick or two before 80. Then you could grab you cb, nt, t and ilb/wr all before 80.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

ville5 wrote:
Daniel wrote:My want for the first 3 picks are Broderick Jones, CB at 32 and NT at 49. Maybe an ILB in round 4 then whatever the rest of the way.
Sign me up. If Jones isn't there, it'd even be tempting to trade back the first 2 picks. Just a few spots each though.
Might net you another pick or two before 80. Then you could grab you cb, nt, t and ilb/wr all before 80.
It depends on who is available really. Broderick Jones/Paris Johnson/Christian Gonzalez would be no brainer how long does it take to the get to the podium pick. Joey Porter Jr might be good, but I'm leery of him for some reason, don't know why just seems eh to me. Same with Brian Branch, but that's more because it's too high for a 3rd safety/slot corner. Definitely don't want Addison unless they can get a high 2nd or low 1st for Diontae Johnson.

I'd be okay with trading down if the above 3 guys aren't available. But only if they can get a 2nd or a 3rd as well, not sure if it's worth it for less than that though.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Daniel wrote:
ville5 wrote:
Daniel wrote:My want for the first 3 picks are Broderick Jones, CB at 32 and NT at 49. Maybe an ILB in round 4 then whatever the rest of the way.
It depends on who is available really. Broderick Jones/Paris Johnson/Christian Gonzalez would be no brainer how long does it take to the get to the podium pick. Joey Porter Jr might be good, but I'm leery of him for some reason, don't know why just seems eh to me. Same with Brian Branch, but that's more because it's too high for a 3rd safety/slot corner. Definitely don't want Addison unless they can get a high 2nd or low 1st for Diontae Johnson.

I'd be okay with trading down if the above 3 guys aren't available. But only if they can get a 2nd or a 3rd as well, not sure if it's worth it for less than that though.
Completely agree on all counts. Especially Addison. But I can't see them trading DJ. Doesn't he still have a sizable cap hit even if traded?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

ville5 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
ville5 wrote:

Completely agree on all counts. Especially Addison. But I can't see them trading DJ. Doesn't he still have a sizable cap hit even if traded?
I wouldn’t trade him either, and doubt they will, but Kahn got a 2nd for Claypool so Johnson is worth close to that. Just the only reason to spend a 1st on a WR is with Johnson gone and an extra 2nd. That being said, do you really want to go into next season with a WR corp of a 2nd year guy, rookie, 2nd year guy who was out last year? Cap space vs dead space with rookie contract as replacement, I’d be tempted to trade him if not for the lack of a veteran in the WR room.

Johnson’s cap hit is about $16M but dead cap is about $20M. If traded, the Steelers would be on the hook for the dead space. Or at least that’s how I read into it (probably explain why not a lot of NFL trades):

With a trade, the future guarantees would simply transfer to the new team, leaving behind just the unallocated signing bonus cap as the current team's dead cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/understand ... -cap-1160/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Daniel wrote:
ville5 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
ville5 wrote:

I wouldn’t trade him either, and doubt they will, but Kahn got a 2nd for Claypool so Johnson is worth close to that. Just the only reason to spend a 1st on a WR is with Johnson gone and an extra 2nd. That being said, do you really want to go into next season with a WR corp of a 2nd year guy, rookie, 2nd year guy who was out last year? Cap space vs dead space with rookie contract as replacement, I’d be tempted to trade him if not for the lack of a veteran in the WR room.

Johnson’s cap hit is about $16M but dead cap is about $20M. If traded, the Steelers would be on the hook for the dead space. Or at least that’s how I read into it (probably explain why not a lot of NFL trades):

With a trade, the future guarantees would simply transfer to the new team, leaving behind just the unallocated signing bonus cap as the current team's dead cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/understand ... -cap-1160/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to overthecap, if DJ is traded pre- June 1st he has a $11.666 million cap hit. If he's traded post June 1st, the Steelers would only have a $5.8 million cap hit.
But unless you pick someone else up besides another drafted wr, I wouldn't feel comfortable. Too much uncertainty with Austin, Pickens, Miller, etc. Even though DJ leaves a lot to be desired, he does bring some stability.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

ville5 wrote:According to overthecap, if DJ is traded pre- June 1st he has a $11.666 million cap hit. If he's traded post June 1st, the Steelers would only have a $5.8 million cap hit.
But unless you pick someone else up besides another drafted wr, I wouldn't feel comfortable. Too much uncertainty with Austin, Pickens, Miller, etc. Even though DJ leaves a lot to be desired, he does bring some stability.
I saw a rumor of Johnson to Houston plus 32 to the 12th overall pick. The argument was that Bryce Young would need a veteran. Problem still goes back to the WR youth. As much as I like having a young team, which I often argue about the Penguins, but there is such a a thing as too much youth at a position.

If they did a trade like that, I’d want to sign a veteran WR to go along with Pickens, Austin, rookie.

Just for arguments sake, would you prefer Pickens, Austin, Johnson, mid round rookie WR or Pickens, Austin, let’s say TY Hilton, Quentin Johnson or Jordan Addison? I’m not sure the 2nd option isn’t better. You can also replace TY Hilton with any one of Randall Cobb, Julio Jones, Jarvis Landry, or Sammy Watkins which will get cheaper as the offseason goes on and could provide invaluable leadership.

IDK, food for thought.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Tough question. Obviously no one left will provide the 80-100 receptions and 800-1000 yards Diontae will. But if that offer, DJ and 32 for 12, were a possibility it'd be tough to pass on. 12 and 17 should give them very good LT and CB. Then NT at 49. Hope for a decent WR at 80 and hope Miller can perform.
If not, maybe use one of next year's pick for DeAndre. :shrug:
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

ville5 wrote:Tough question. Obviously no one left will provide the 80-100 receptions and 800-1000 yards Diontae will. But if that offer, DJ and 32 for 12, were a possibility it'd be tough to pass on. 12 and 17 should give them very good LT and CB. Then NT at 49. Hope for a decent WR at 80 and hope Miller can perform.
If not, maybe use one of next year's pick for DeAndre. :shrug:
I think Pickens will have 80-100 catches if Johnson is gone.

I think 12 and 17 could get Broderick Jones and Quentin Johnson or Jordan Addison. The CB class is really deep and I think they can get a CB1 at pick 49.

Not sure who they'll get at 17 but frankly if the top 3 LT's are gone by then I'd just roll with Dan Moore at LT. I don't think anyone after Johnson, Skoronski, Jones are any better than what the team has right now and Moore is still pretty young. I like the top two RT's but don't think they can move to LT nor do I think Okorafor can move so we're right back to square one.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Broderick Jones in the 1st round. Love the pick. If Levis is available at #32 I think the Steelers can get a ton for that pick recoup the 4th they gave up in the trade with the Patriots.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Love the Jones pick, Khan building right that once you have your young franchise guy you build him a line so he doesn’t get killed.

I would go Porter at 32, he will step in day 1 to start at CB and make a difference. I think we need more immediate help at CB than S with Branch but wouldn’t be upset going with him either since he can slot in anywhere and give flexibility to move some bodies around. But a 6’2” shut down CB is something this team desperately needs and has needed for a long time.

Porter would had been a small reach at 17 and his ties to Pittsburgh would justify taking him there but he seems like a no-brainer at 32. I think there might still be some decent ILB’s at 49 since only one has been taken so far. If Trenton Simpson is there at 49 that would be good.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:Love the Jones pick, Khan building right that once you have your young franchise guy you build him a line so he doesn’t get killed.

I would go Porter at 32, he will step in day 1 to start at CB and make a difference. I think we need more immediate help at CB than S with Branch but wouldn’t be upset going with him either since he can slot in anywhere and give flexibility to move some bodies around. But a 6’2” shut down CB is something this team desperately needs and has needed for a long time.

Porter would had been a small reach at 17 and his ties to Pittsburgh would justify taking him there but he seems like a no-brainer at 32. I think there might still be some decent ILB’s at 49 since only one has been taken so far. If Trenton Simpson is there at 49 that would be good.
I’m shocked that Porter is available and it’d be a great pick. I really don’t like Branch even at 32. Just a redundant player in my opinion. I wonder if Kahn will trade down a few spots to get another 3rd or a 4th.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I guess it depends if he has 4 guys on the board that he thinks all fill equally important needs. Cardinals could take porter at #33 so if we don’t take him then we don’t think CB is a top need. But I’d rather move the #49 down to even early third to pick up another pick if there’s not an immediate impact player available that would walk into a starting job. That’s the pick you play with especially with a team who has no 2nd rounder.

But Porter checks every box imaginable at #32. It’s an immediate need, he is among the best players and athletes available, he’s not a reach at this spot and there’s some extra sentimental value with him and the fans would love it.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:I guess it depends if he has 4 guys on the board that he thinks all fill equally important needs. Cardinals could take porter at #33 so if we don’t take him then we don’t think CB is a top need. But I’d rather move the #49 down to even early third to pick up another pick if there’s not an immediate impact player available that would walk into a starting job. That’s the pick you play with especially with a team who has no 2nd rounder.

But Porter checks every box imaginable at #32. It’s an immediate need, he is among the best players and athletes available, he’s not a reach at this spot and there’s some extra sentimental value with him and the fans would love it.
My thought on Porter is this. How much better is he over Ringo, Brents, etc vs how good is the 3rd/4th round extra pick. I agree that #49 is the pick to trade, however we can’t underestimate just how much a team will overpay for #32 with 2 1st round QBs on the board not to mention several 1st round caliber picks.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Good points there, I could be undervaluing 4th round picks and overvaluing what a guy like Porter can or will do this season. But with how good the QB’s are in our division, Porter can take one of their best pass options off the table which then allowed Fitz to ball hawk even more and give Watt more time for pressure.

If the pick is traded I just hope we end up on top but so far Khan has been very good in his trades so I’ll trust whatever he does.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:Good points there, I could be undervaluing 4th round picks and overvaluing what a guy like Porter can or will do this season. But with how good the QB’s are in our division, Porter can take one of their best pass options off the table which then allowed Fitz to ball hawk even more and give Watt more time for pressure.

If the pick is traded I just hope we end up on top but so far Khan has been very good in his trades so I’ll trust whatever he does.
This is the key to me. If Porter is going to be an All Pro yes take him, but one has to wonder why he wasn’t taken. Was it because the CB class is so deep that teams simply took other needs to get a CB later or is a flaw in Porters game making him not as attractive?

I’m with you, I trust Kahn and Weidl to make the right call. If they trade out, it tells me they either think Porter will be there or the next level of CBs are close to his talent.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Steelers were asking a lot for the pick apparently but I am happy with Porter. So far we have two players we direly needed.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If Branch is still there at 49, do you take him too and be almost impossible to throw on?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

DelPen wrote:If Branch is still there at 49, do you take him too and be almost impossible to throw on?
Well never mind.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Benton looks like another good pick, shores up the DL which needed some attention with Cam getting older. Would still like to see an ILB tonight but I would think OL, CB and DL were the top areas to focus on.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Porter went to Pittsburgh today instead of sticking around in KC. Looks like Steelers were really set at taking him unless they got an insane offer to move the pick. He’s already doing media hits tonight which is pretty cool.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:Porter went to Pittsburgh today instead of sticking around in KC. Looks like Steelers were really set at taking him unless they got an insane offer to move the pick. He’s already doing media hits tonight which is pretty cool.
Kelee Ringo as strong safety/coverage linebacker?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Good deal to move down in the 3rd for #93 and pick up the better of the Panthers 4th rounders at #132.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:Good deal to move down in the 3rd for #93 and pick up the better of the Panthers 4th rounders at #132.
Makes me wonder if they like any of the top inside linebackers. They could have had Henley or Simpson. Like Ringo though. Great value now. Same with Battle.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Weird pick for sure.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

As drafts go this is a clear A. No wasted picks, no reaches, filled a lot of needs.