Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by Daniel »

That Chase Claypool trade is looking good so far.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

That might have been the best 1st half for the Steelers this season. The Spillane whiff and muffed punt being the only negative things I could think of. Pickett with over 70% completion and 7.4 yards per attempt. Harris with over 5 yards a carry. Offense looking like an NFL offense so far.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

How is kneeing someone in the stomach not a penalty?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Invalid fair catch should be a 15 yard penalty, guy was going to get killed for a fumble or we would have had another 10-15 on the bounce if he doesn't grab it.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Yet again the Steelers go into halftime on a roll and fail to adjust for the 2nd half. Not sure any draft pick can overcome Tomlin’s coaching.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So I was way too harsh on Kenny. I still stand by the statement that if he didn’t go to Pitt then he was not going to be selected where he was by the Steelers. It was a perfect storm of local boy filling a huge vacuum left by the best QB this team has ever seen.

I think we are starting to see the receivers break the designed routes a bit to actually get open to make a play and Kenny is still throwing to where the play call says they should be. Ben had the freedom to make adjustments to a framework of play calls and scrap them all together when needed.

Mitch started the season with Kenny on his heels and he had to show he was a team guy and ran the garbage that Canada sent in no matter how dumb. Kenny as a rookie has the same expectations to run what’s called no matter how dumb. Harris had a similar issue to running where the holes should be and not changing up on the fly.

No one will ever look good under Canada’s offense unless you are a first ballot HOF’r like Ben. At this point losses with individual progress in player development is the best case scenario for this team to figure out who’s worth keeping around and get better draft positions. There aren’t many guys that are untouchable, probably just Watt, Pickens and Fitzpatrick as far as not listening to any trade offers, and then a few more guys who should definitely be kept on that are younger like Muth, Najeh, Warren, Kenny. But the defense really needs and overhaul along with the o-line. A competent ILB and Left OT are must haves in the draft next year or free agency.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Daniel wrote:Yet again the Steelers go into halftime on a roll and fail to adjust for the 2nd half. Not sure any draft pick can overcome Tomlin’s coaching.
Bengals players called this out specifically, said they new what plays were coming because it was the same recycled garbage the 2nd half. They stopped blitzing and just defended what they knew was coming.

When the offense starts inside our own 20, goes three and out and then Harvin attempts a punt that barely makes it to the 50, the defense gets screwed over.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:
Daniel wrote:Yet again the Steelers go into halftime on a roll and fail to adjust for the 2nd half. Not sure any draft pick can overcome Tomlin’s coaching.
Bengals players called this out specifically, said they new what plays were coming because it was the same recycled garbage the 2nd half. They stopped blitzing and just defended what they knew was coming.

When the offense starts inside our own 20, goes three and out and then Harvin attempts a punt that barely makes it to the 50, the defense gets screwed over.
Tomlin has never been good at halftime adjustments and Matt Canada doesn't seem to have a big enough playbook (or he thinks Pickett can't handle a 4 quarter playbook). That is a recipe for failure.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:So I was way too harsh on Kenny. I still stand by the statement that if he didn’t go to Pitt then he was not going to be selected where he was by the Steelers. It was a perfect storm of local boy filling a huge vacuum left by the best QB this team has ever seen.

I think we are starting to see the receivers break the designed routes a bit to actually get open to make a play and Kenny is still throwing to where the play call says they should be. Ben had the freedom to make adjustments to a framework of play calls and scrap them all together when needed.

Mitch started the season with Kenny on his heels and he had to show he was a team guy and ran the garbage that Canada sent in no matter how dumb. Kenny as a rookie has the same expectations to run what’s called no matter how dumb. Harris had a similar issue to running where the holes should be and not changing up on the fly.

No one will ever look good under Canada’s offense unless you are a first ballot HOF’r like Ben. At this point losses with individual progress in player development is the best case scenario for this team to figure out who’s worth keeping around and get better draft positions. There aren’t many guys that are untouchable, probably just Watt, Pickens and Fitzpatrick as far as not listening to any trade offers, and then a few more guys who should definitely be kept on that are younger like Muth, Najeh, Warren, Kenny. But the defense really needs and overhaul along with the o-line. A competent ILB and Left OT are must haves in the draft next year or free agency.
With a probable top 10 pick in the 1st and 2 top 10 picks in the 2nd, the Steelers ought to be able to get a stud OL, DL, ILB in next years draft. Dan Moore is decent at LT, but can move to G if there is an All Pro LT waiting for them in the draft. The DL has some nice young players, but they need a young stud like Jalen Carter.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

DelPen wrote:So I was way too harsh on Kenny. I still stand by the statement that if he didn’t go to Pitt then he was not going to be selected where he was by the Steelers. It was a perfect storm of local boy filling a huge vacuum left by the best QB this team has ever seen.

I wonder if team management was concerned about having a Marino moment and not taking the QB from the local school who goes on to have a career that causes second guessing on passing him over
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Zarovich wrote:

I wonder if team management was concerned about having a Marino moment and not taking the QB from the local school who goes on to have a career that causes second guessing on passing him over
I think that’s absolutely the case, but here’s the thing. I don’t think Marino has anywhere near the same career with the Steelers. Does anyone honestly think Chuck Noll would have adapted the offense for Marino’s skills? In the 80s the Steelers were still a run heavy team.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

3rd and 2, driving down field, open man just beyond the first down marker, Pickett throws it 4 feet above Sims’ head and even if he managed to get his hands on it there was no way he comes down in bounds.

What a horrible throw.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

And Pickett eats a sack instead of making a throw out of bounds putting us out of FG range and our garbage punter cant make a kick land at the 5 yard line for a touchback despite a good effort to try to keep it out as it was heading into the end zone while still in the air.

Harvin should had been cut last year.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

If the second half offense looks like the first half offense that would be awesome. Offense still isn’t great, but baby steps.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Okay, Bennie Snell just had a 16 yard run. The OL doesn’t need improvement at this point. :D :shock:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Another horrible pass to a wide open man by Pickett. It’s like he doesn’t look to see where anyone is before he throws the ball.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:Another horrible pass to a wide open man by Pickett. It’s like he doesn’t look to see where anyone is before he throws the ball.
He doesn’t seem to have that touch that he needs for sure.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

How do the Colts have 4 wins?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:How do the Colts have 4 wins?
How do the Steelers have 3? This is more of a who gets number 2 pick behind Houston than who is close to a wild card.

Yet again, playoff team in the first half can’t beat Alabama in the second.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

We both remember when the Steelers and Penguins were trendsetters in their respective sports. Now both franchises are stale and tired.

I honestly thought the Steelers did a good job building this team but the coaching staff is terrible.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Daniel wrote:We both remember when the Steelers and Penguins were trendsetters in their respective sports. Now both franchises are stale and tired.

I honestly thought the Steelers did a good job building this team but the coaching staff is terrible.
Definitely the coaching. I am convinced the only reason Canada hasn’t been fired is they dont want someone competent who will find a way to help this team win 9 games instead of lose 12-14 games.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

**** Johnson again running backwards after a big gain.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:**** Johnson again running backwards after a big gain.
Kris Letang of the NFL. Million dollar talent and ten cent head.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:
Daniel wrote:We both remember when the Steelers and Penguins were trendsetters in their respective sports. Now both franchises are stale and tired.

Definitely the coaching. I am convinced the only reason Canada hasn’t been fired is they dont want someone competent who will find a way to help this team win 9 games instead of lose 12-14 games.
Not just Canada but the entire coaching staff minus the offensive line and wide receiver coaches. Probably. TE coach as well.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

It’s not just Dionte, a lot of players run back to a catch and have no ability to stop and cut on dime to move back forward. It ends up losing a lot of yards if they cant run a giant arch around the defenders and comes up short on 3rd down plays.