Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by DelPen »

Local CBS in Charlotte changed to the end of the Raiders game which was already essentially over after Green pretended to be a center allowing a fumble to happen.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Tomlin finally understands clock management but we are down by 26. Gift of the **** Magi.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

I turned it off when the score was 30-0. What an embarrassment. I was hoping CBS would interrupt the game to show Heidi like they did back in the day. Yes I'm that old. LOL
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

stonewizard51 wrote:I turned it off when the score was 30-0. What an embarrassment. I was hoping CBS would interrupt the game to show Heidi like they did back in the day. Yes I'm that old. LOL
I think this is just a poorly coached team overall. I do give Klemm credit, the OL was starting to improve before they kept losing guards. But even that was short lived because they want to pass the ball like Ben is 30 again. The defense is a mess and using a scheme that was outdated in 2000.

The OL is young and will improve, maybe a G and depth in the 2022 draft, but this is a young group and will get better.
The DL is old and injury prone and needs a complete overhaul. LB and corner are fine, for the most part, and a new scheme and better coaching would make this group look good.
QB should be Rudolph/Haskins/2023 1st round pick since the upcoming draft doesn’t have a stud QB (from what I can tell).
Danny Smith is making the special teams more special ed with his coaching. He took a punter that was actually drafted and made him into the punter the lousy punter he replaced, who is now having a career year on another team.

All and all the biggest improvement needs to come from the coaching staff.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Any one want to take any bets that no one of consequence will be held accountable for the poor showing this season? Squeezing into the payoffs because other teams totally collapsed shouldn’t give anyone a pass on how bad this team has been for most of the year.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

The Rooney Family will absolutely NOT fire Tomlin so don't expect a coaching change any time soon. They'll stick with him until the team returns to the pre Noll days when they were 0-14. Tomlin wants to be a friend. Noll was once quoted as saying "he didn't come to the Steelers to make friends, he came here to win". Cowher was pretty much the same.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Looks like the Steelers have to depend on Jacksonville to beat Indy or they're out as well as win their two games.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Daniel wrote:Looks like the Steelers have to depend on Jacksonville to beat Indy or they're out as well as win their two games.
C'mon. The Steelers have been out of realistic contention for weeks. Only a masochist would want to see them in a playoff game at this point. I'm just relieved that losing tomorrow will no longer give the pathetic Brown's press corps reason to say Cleveland is still a Super Bowl contender (yes, they've still been banging that drum through New Year's weekend...)
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Sigwolf wrote:
Daniel wrote:Looks like the Steelers have to depend on Jacksonville to beat Indy or they're out as well as win their two games.
C'mon. The Steelers have been out of realistic contention for weeks. Only a masochist would want to see them in a playoff game at this point. I'm just relieved that losing tomorrow will no longer give the pathetic Brown's press corps reason to say Cleveland is still a Super Bowl contender (yes, they've still been banging that drum through New Year's weekend...)
I agree but since no matter how bad they do Tomlin won't be responsible, I might as well hope they have one more game.

Truth be told, I'd rather they just end the year 7-9-1 so (A) they'll get a better draft pick to badly coach and (B) we'll no longer hear how Tomlin has never had a losing season. He's also never won the Super Bowl with players he developed and is really the Dan Bylsma of football.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Difference between 7-9-1 and 9-7-1 is picking 12th instead of 18th. And the better record means watching the Browns and Ravens pick players you need to compete. So expect two Steeler victories.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Southern Fan wrote:Difference between 7-9-1 and 9-7-1 is picking 12th instead of 18th. And the better record means watching the Browns and Ravens pick players you need to compete. So expect two Steeler victories.
I don’t trust Tomlin to navigate through a post Ben era to become a Super Bowl contending franchise and I don’t trust the ownership to make a change. As young as Tomlin is we’re likely to be mediocrity for the next 20 years, unless ownership wakes up. Not that Tomlin is a bad coach, I just think he’s a better coach with a veteran team as opposed to building a team. Again, Dan Bylsma, lol.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

It’s fair to say both Bylsma and Tomlin have severe deficiencies in their approach to coaching that are only masked by great individual talents. Take those talents away or have them tune you out and they get exposed.

Had Tomlin come into the organization when Cohwer did he’d have lasted 3 years. Tomlin owes his career to Ben.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:It’s fair to say both Bylsma and Tomlin have severe deficiencies in their approach to coaching that are only masked by great individual talents. Take those talents away or have them tune you out and they get exposed.

Had Tomlin come into the organization when Cohwer did he’d have lasted 3 years. Tomlin owes his career to Ben.
I don’t think anything would have changed. The Rooney’s are in love with the never fire a coach thing they have going here. This has been a mediocre franchise for years. When was the last time they even sniffed the Super Bowl? 5 years, 10 years?

The defense is a mess and even with top inside linebackers the middle of the field is wide open. Some of that could be Schobert and Bush not being prepared for the 2021 season but good coaching can fix that during the season. Both got worse as the season progressed and while all of it isn’t coaching most of it is. The scheme seems like it doesn’t know whether to be a zone blitz or cover 3 so they tend to do neither.

With a young OL, I can live with bumps and bruises but they get an OL coach for smashmouth running football and do a scheme around Ben like he’s 10 years younger. Sorry, but this offense needs to be smash mouth run Harris/Snell, play action pass not throw it over 30 times a game.

Bottom line, with a young team, Ben and Colbert likely leaving it’s time to completely redo the organization and rebuild around Najee Harris and a young OL.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Nobody wants to see the Steelers play the Chiefs in KC in the first round? I bet it would be worse than the Browns playoff game last year and the regular season game against the Chiefs this year combined…
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Bad Dionte is back again.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Feel bad for Harvin but this new guy is better, even with Layne being an absolute idiot giving them an extra 15 on useless face mask
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

These rookies need to learn when to make a sure loss reception an incomplete pass.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Dionte is this Steelers Letang. Clowney lived up to the first five letters of his last name. Who throws a shoe?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Add justin layne to the players to cut yesterday
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Refs refusing to throw a flag on all the Browns PI is amazing.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

1st and goal at the 4. Lets pass it 3 times.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The Steelers don’t deserve TJ Watt.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Just a reminder, no matter how well things go for us next week, the Raiders and Chargers will tie and knock us out.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So Garrett “nearly got home”. The guys a fraud
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Tonight’s punter, Waitmann, has had some really good punts even with bad snaps and he has done fine holding. Goodbye Harvin.